Luggage

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone, I am needing to buy a couple of new carry-on suitcases and am looking for recommendations.  Want some with GOOD wheels and telescoping handles.  Probably hard sided luggage......  Please let me know your thoughts!

Edited by littlemoos

Just a reminder. That carry-on piece also needs to fit under your seat. All the overheads are sometimes full and if you can't board early, well.... We had that happen some years ago and I got one that will. But no way could you put everything you would need for more than a weekend trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, littlemoos said:

I just updated, probably hard.....

We also have Travel Pro and like them a lot. 

It seems most hard sided luggage is clamshell style.  Just be aware that style takes up twice the amount of room when opened.  I prefer soft sided with the zipper opening on top.  

1 hour ago, clo said:

Just a reminder. That carry-on piece also needs to fit under your seat. All the overheads are sometimes full and if you can't board early, well.... We had that happen some years ago and I got one that will. But no way could you put everything you would need for more than a weekend trip.

No, only your additional item needs to fit under your seat.  On the rare occasion that there is no room in the overhead for your carry-on they will check it for you at no charge.  The vast majority of carry-ons being sold will not fit under the seat.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

No, only your additional item needs to fit under your seat.  On the rare occasion that there is no room in the overhead for your carry-on they will check it for you at no charge.  The vast majority of carry-ons being sold will not fit under the seat.

Son of a gun, you're right. Sorry. I did however buy one like this and it DOES fit under the seat, on its back. And I can fit my very large feet on top.

underseatbag.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StollyBolly said:

I bought a Travel Pro for my husband.  Nice quality.  I bought a full size travel Pro for myself and they were fabulous on the warranty when the retractable handle stuck 

All our luggage is Travel Pro...just amazing how their holding up over the many years, miles and horrible treatment they've had.

• Like 2

My preference (we travel carry on) is my Travel Pro bags - soft sided and has two roller skate style wheels which I find easier to pull and have more room as the four wheels extend and count in bag size.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StollyBolly said:

I bought a Travel Pro for my husband.  Nice quality.  I bought a full size travel Pro for myself and they were fabulous on the warranty when the retractable handle stuck 

Watching the flight crews pre-board, I see many using Travel Pro. 

Our IT 2-wheel carry-on-size soft-siders have been around the world multiple times; fortunately still going strong, as they no longer make 2-wheel. 

• Like 1

Decide what you want on the inside, as well as the outside, then go looking.  I have bought Heys bags in Target, a carryon hard side in a department store, steeply on sale.  Because I decided I wanted a slightly larger bag with two large wheels, I ended up ordering a TravelPro 25”.  EM

5 hours ago, clo said:

Son of a gun, you're right. Sorry. I did however buy one like this and it DOES fit under the seat, on its back. And I can fit my very large feet on top.

underseatbag.jpg

My short legs love a fat case to rest on during flight.   This is a nice case, where did you get it?

I don’t really get the hardbody cases. Many of them are simply too wide to qualify as a true carryon and if you ever flight intercontinental in Europe they won’t be considered carryon.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Our IT 2-wheel carry-on-size soft-siders have been around the world multiple times; fortunately still going strong, as they no longer make 2-wheel. 

Yes...the flight crews use Travel Pro and at the recommendation of our family member who's a retired UA Captain is why we bought the same years ago.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

My short legs love a fat case to rest on during flight.   This is a nice case, where did you get it?

It's been more than a few years since I got it so, sorry. But Google "carry on under seat bag" and you'll get tons of options with pros and cons. I DON'T have short legs and I love this bag. I keep it under the seat even when there's space overhead.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clo said:

underseatbag.jpg

We have a couple of under seaters.  They are terrific, IMO.  They have the trolley strap so we can put them on top of our checked bags.  I personally don't put mine under my seat (my feet go there).

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

On 4/2/2024 at 3:44 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

This is such a great flying hack... If the airline asks you to "voluntarily" check your bag, that's like them offering you $50-75 because most of the time, that's what they'll charge. Obviously, status passengers could pack their entire house and fly it for free (exaggerating, of course), but anyone else who wants to check a bag will pay dearly. I've done it when traveling alone and recently with my older son on a trip to Minnesota. Gate-checking is also an option sometimes, especially out of my home airport, which normally sees regional jets and the occasional larger jet.

On 4/2/2024 at 5:25 PM, crystalspin said:

TravelPro has an excellent discount program for flight crews.

I have traveled with a 28" suitcase and two-wheeled roller bag, both from TravelPro, for many cruises.  As noted above, the roller bag has a strong handle that nicely fits my large camera bag.  The external charging port is a big plus to keep my gadgets charged without opening the bag.

I am definitely a TravelPro fan.

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2024 at 3:03 PM, ldubs said:

We also have Travel Pro and like them a lot. 

It seems most hard sided luggage is clamshell style.  Just be aware that style takes up twice the amount of room when opened.  I prefer soft sided with the zipper opening on top.  

The clamshell is what allows us to slide our luggage under the bed!  When we had soft, with a top opening, it took a lot of flattening to do so.  And the open case means I can leave some "maybe" items in the case, and just pull it out if I decide I want something.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

The clamshell is what allows us to slide our luggage under the bed!  When we had soft, with a top opening, it took a lot of flattening to do so.  And the open case means I can leave some "maybe" items in the case, and just pull it out if I decide I want something.

Very good point and especially applicable to cruise ship travel when you want the bags completely out of the way.  Like most, we completely unpack on cruise ships.  Sometimes the bags fit under and sometimes they don't.  These days we just store the luggage in the closet area where one becomes the hamper.   For land trips, I usually live out of the suitcase sitting on the stand.  Clamshell styles don't work well for that.  

• Like 1