Prima/Viva Outlets and Cpaps

My understanding is that this class of ship has a lot more USB outlets. Do the nightstands each have an electrical outlet? I want to avoid bringing an extension cord to reach across the room if it is not needed. 

13 minutes ago, kalypso333 said:

My understanding is that this class of ship has a lot more USB outlets. Do the nightstands each have an electrical outlet? I want to avoid bringing an extension cord to reach across the room if it is not needed. 

Answer is yes - behind both bedside nightstand is a 220V outlet, providing power to the table lamp with USB-A and USB-C charging ports (they are rated at 1.5A each only ... too low & slow for "modern" smartphone or iPhone/iPad, adequate for digital cameras (what's that, haha) and/or rechargeable USB battery bank, etc. or 

You'll need a 2 pin EU outlet plug or adapter for your 110V machine.  

see this post - last picture 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2973705-prima-ta-semi-live-11-days-to-ny-from-spain-4-days-barcelona-from-jfk-landcruise-early-thanksgiving-vacation/?do=findComment&comment=66501551

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Answer is yes - behind both bedside nightstand is a 220V outlet, providing power to the table lamp with USB-A and USB-C charging ports (they are rated at 1.5A each only ... too low & slow for "modern" smartphone or iPhone/iPad, adequate for digital cameras (what's that, haha) and/or rechargeable USB battery bank, etc. or 

You'll need a 2 pin EU outlet plug or adapter for your 110V machine.  

see this post - last picture 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2973705-prima-ta-semi-live-11-days-to-ny-from-spain-4-days-barcelona-from-jfk-landcruise-early-thanksgiving-vacation/?do=findComment&comment=66501551

I went to the photo, it was a dessert pic. 

Are there 110v outlets on lamp? From your description I would conclude in the wall is a 220v plug that would require me to unplug lamp, plug 110v adapter and then plug into the adapter on the wall. 

Am I correct?

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, kalypso333 said:

I went to the photo, it was a dessert pic. 

Are there 110v outlets on lamp? From your description I would conclude in the wall is a 220v plug that would require me to unplug lamp, plug 110v adapter and then plug into the adapter on the wall. 

I re-checked the posted link - it is correctly linked/shown, last one on post #371 - picture of the night table pulled away from the wall, black (typical of round EU 2-pins) plug on the bottom right corner.  Lamps and others in the cabin, including hair dryer runs on 220V - there is no 110V thru the lamp and/or from those outlets.  

PXL_20231127_172811047.jpg.602590c1dba38

There are 110V outlets elsewhere ... 

PXL_20231120_132520241_MP.thumb.jpg.6e82

You will need to either tap into that with a spliter and/or unplug and use the proper adapter as described - look below ... 

Edited by mking8288

20 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

I re-checked the posted link - it is correctly linked/shown, last one on post #371 - picture of the night table pulled away from the wall, black (typical of round EU 2-pins) plug on the bottom right corner.  Lamps and others in the cabin, including hair dryer runs on 220V - there is no 110V thru the lamp and/or from those outlets.  

PXL_20231127_172811047.jpg.602590c1dba38

There are 110V outlets elsewhere ... 

PXL_20231120_132520241_MP.thumb.jpg.6e82

You will need to either tap into that with a spliter and/or unplug and use the proper adapter as described - look below ... 

How in the world did they do that. Total US brand using dollars everywhere.  But in the lamps put EU 220v. At the desk across the room 110v.  Shockingly thoughtless. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, kalypso333 said:

Shockingly thoughtless. 

The US isn't the only power system in the world, we Americans need to get over ourselves and stop thinking we're the only ones that matter.  Do you expect them to swap the outlets out when they move the ship to do Mediterranean and European sailings?  Europeans could make the same "shockingly thoughtless" exclamation if the outlets by the night table were US 110 while the ship is sailing in Europe.  Those outlets were not placed for passenger's convenience, they were placed for the decor.  If you look at the fixtures around the ship and the tools used by the crew (vacuums and such) you'll find that many are 220v devices.

9 hours ago, kalypso333 said:

Total US brand using dollars everywhere.

But the ship was designed and built in Europe and is flagged in the Bahamas.

• Like 2

I bought a converter for my husband's Cpap when we just went to iceland.  I guess I will bring that and plug it where the lamp is so we won't need an extension cord.  Glad I found this thread. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kalypso333 said:

How in the world did they do that. Total US brand using dollars everywhere.  But in the lamps put EU 220v. At the desk across the room 110v.  Shockingly thoughtless. 

For 20 bucks you get two of these.....   https://amzn.to/3TBrmgA

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

For 20 bucks you get two of these.....   https://amzn.to/3TBrmgA

Got 2 from Amazon for $10. 😄

6 hours ago, hallux said:

The US isn't the only power system in the world, we Americans need to get over ourselves and stop thinking we're the only ones that matter.  Do you expect them to swap the outlets out when they move the ship to do Mediterranean and European sailings?  Europeans could make the same "shockingly thoughtless" exclamation if the outlets by the night table were US 110 while the ship is sailing in Europe.  Those outlets were not placed for passenger's convenience, they were placed for the decor.  If you look at the fixtures around the ship and the tools used by the crew (vacuums and such) you'll find that many are 220v devices.

And marketed primarily to the US. 

Your point and fixtures and equipment is well taken. Of course I was being self centered. It’s my job. 😚

• Like 1

For CPAP users - I'm fairly new to the world of CPAP travel only had mine since 7/2023.  I did travel with it once and the cruise taped down an extension cord which ran across the room so I could use my machine by the bed.  Now both my husband and I have machines so our travel agent requested the cruise line to provide extension cords for us both and distilled water.  I did check with the CPAP provider and they said we could use regular water as long as it is only for the travel duration and to use distill water at home.  I wish hotels would carry distill water for purchase with so many people using machines surprised they don't.   Also, with this trip we got personal size under seat luggage on wheels that will hold our CPAP equipment, medication and insulin that can carry my laptop/i pad too.  It has a trolly sleeve so will fit over my carry on luggage too. I'm tagging with medical equipment tags on the underseat luggage.  This will not count as my personal bag so I could still carry a personal bag too if needed.  We are not checking bags so doing carry on only.

Any tips for travel with insulin or cpap equipment is appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if it is required to have original prescription labels for international travel on your pills now? 

I currently use small plastic zip bags for my daily AM and PM pills, this takes up less room than pill cases.  I carry a separate list of all my medications, Drs, allergies, medical history in case it is needed and my husband has it too.

I bring hook magnets that I attach to the ceiling to run the extension wire for my CPAP. The magnets are also nice to stick on the cabin walls to hang items from.

40 minutes ago, ngrund said:

I bring hook magnets that I attach to the ceiling to run the extension wire for my CPAP. The magnets are also nice to stick on the cabin walls to hang items from.

Now that’s clever. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 7:50 AM, hallux said:

Now 

however with a little forethought-- ship builders could have adaptable plugs like they have in Thailand for example -- that fit BOTH 110 and 220 and plugs of many shapes.

Or to have one 110/ and one 220 of each on either side of the bed and a USB...

We also carry adapters that we use in Brazil that we can use on ships

Imagine that-- shipbuilders putting in some thought that the ships sail out of BOTH the US and EU each year.

Then THAT would be hospitable of a cruise line instead of telling people to "get over" it.

Edited by Fogfog

On 4/3/2024 at 2:53 PM, Broadwayfamily said:

For CPAP users - I'm fairly new to the world of CPAP travel only had mine since 7/2023.  I wish hotels would carry distill water for purchase with so many people using machines surprised they don't.

Also, does anyone know if it is required to have original prescription labels for international travel on your pills now? 

I currently use small plastic zip bags for my daily AM and PM pills, this takes up less room than pill cases.  I carry a separate list of all my medications, Drs, allergies, medical history in case it is needed and my husband has it too.

1) Fill out the form at https://nclh.my.salesforce-sites.com/AccessDeskForm/ and there will be a gallon of distilled water in your cabin. For the hotel, I put distilled water in my checked luggage, inside a Ziploc bag.  For times when we have a rental car, I pre-order distilled water and other needs at a nearby Target or Walmart.

2) You can't always count on the cruise line to have enough extension cords, so we bring a non-surge extension and I also ordered a couple of 20 foot power cables for our machines from SF Cable.

3) I bring 100lb magnetic hooks and "boot hanger" clips for my hose management. Some walls are not magnetic. On the Escape, I used the Studio cabin's magazine rack to hang my hose. I also use "snugglehose" fleece covers. I bring gaffing tape to keep us from tripping on the cords.

4) It's probably best to brinng pills in their original containers for international flight and embarkation and then make the AM/PM bags once on board. That's my plan.

Another thing I do before going is to check where the nearest pharmacies and medical centers are to the port and take a list along.

For your amusement, a photo of my cabin on the Escape with the hose.

20230917_224146.jpg

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

Or to have one 110/ and one 220 of each on either side of the bed and a USB

These ships already cost enough to build, imagine the cost to do THAT!  Sure, one could also argue that they're spending over a billion $ to build the ship, what's another million or two...

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

Now 

however with a little forethought-- ship builders could have adaptable plugs like they have in Thailand for example -- that fit BOTH 110 and 220 and plugs of many shapes.

Or to have one 110/ and one 220 of each on either side of the bed and a USB...

We also carry adapters that we use in Brazil that we can use on ships

Imagine that-- shipbuilders putting in some thought that the ships sail out of BOTH the US and EU each year.

Then THAT would be hospitable of a cruise line instead of telling people to "get over" it.

Most important is not where you are sailing, but who is sailing on you. Having cruised a lot on NCL I have never seen anyone more in the majority than North Americans. 

As primarily a US marketed line, I shouldn’t have to carry adapters for the cruise. When I reach my destination, I should expect to adapt. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 2:53 PM, Broadwayfamily said:

For CPAP users - I'm fairly new to the world of CPAP travel only had mine since 7/2023.  I did travel with it once and the cruise taped down an extension cord which ran across the room so I could use my machine by the bed.  Now both my husband and I have machines so our travel agent requested the cruise line to provide extension cords for us both and distilled water.  I did check with the CPAP provider and they said we could use regular water as long as it is only for the travel duration and to use distill water at home.  I wish hotels would carry distill water for purchase with so many people using machines surprised they don't.   Also, with this trip we got personal size under seat luggage on wheels that will hold our CPAP equipment, medication and insulin that can carry my laptop/i pad too.  It has a trolly sleeve so will fit over my carry on luggage too. I'm tagging with medical equipment tags on the underseat luggage.  This will not count as my personal bag so I could still carry a personal bag too if needed.  We are not checking bags so doing carry on only.

Get yourself one of each of these to use a 220volt "European" style outlet with your CPAPs.  This is what I set up for both my wife and myself.  Just make sure that your CPAP power supply is "dual voltage".  (Almost all power supplies of that type are these days.)

Ship Power Adapter.jpg

Power Tap.jpg

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Get yourself one of each of these to use a 220volt "European" style outlet with your CPAPs.  This is what I set up for both my wife and myself.  Just make sure that your CPAP power supply is "dual voltage".  (Almost all power supplies of that type are these days.)

Ship Power Adapter.jpg

Power Tap.jpg

The top one looks perfect. Leaving tomorrow  and now too late to buy. I’ll be switching with the lamp. I hope there are reading lamps. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 11:53 AM, Broadwayfamily said:

we got personal size under seat luggage on wheels that will hold our CPAP equipment, medication and insulin that can carry my laptop/i pad too.  It has a trolly sleeve so will fit over my carry on luggage too. I'm tagging with medical equipment tags on the underseat luggage. 

This bag sounds awesome. Can you share what bag it is? 

On 4/4/2024 at 3:01 PM, ngrund said:

can you share the hook magnets that you use? It sounds very useful 

There are 4 US 110v outlets in the room with one of them next to the bed so an extension cord will not be required. There is 1 European style 220v outlet on the desk. There are 2 night stand lamps that each have a USB and USB-C port in the base. There is also a USB and a USB-C port on a wall plate by the desk

2 hours ago, valentinevar said:

This bag sounds awesome. Can you share what bag it is? 

can you share the hook magnets that you use? It sounds very useful 

Coolife Luggage Carry On Luggage Underseat Luggage Suitcase Softside Wheeled Luggage Lightweight Rolling Travel Bag Underseater (Black, Carry-On 16-Inch)

• Thanks 1