NUTS!

Guest Snaxmuppet

31 minutes ago, damiross said:

What is causing tree nut/peanut allergy?  When I was a kid (1950s to 1970s), no one had allergies to nuts.

Yes they did my wife was born in 1952 and her allergy was discovered when she was about 4. Some may have thought that it was minor because it felt like a cold or asthma. Others started getting rashes and trouble breathing 

10 hours ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Same for tree nuts.  Not just peanuts. 

Our daughter has a tree nut allergy. She is elite on Princess but her allergy has progressed to air borne.   Unfortunately she will not be able to cruise anymore due to all the nuts on board.  

She should probably avoid this thread for the same reason. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Teechur said:

She should probably avoid this thread for the same reason. 🤪

It’s not the food nuts that are the problem it is the people nuts that are the issue 

We also miss bar snacks to enjoy with cocktails. We sometimes purchase them at the little sundry shop on the Piazza level and bring them to the bars.  (I honestly can't remember whether they sell peanuts.)

10 hours ago, memoak said:

It’s not the food nuts that are the problem it is the people nuts that are the issue 

What would you expect 99% of the cruising public to do, not eat nuts ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 555 said:

What would you expect 99% of the cruising public to do, not eat nuts ?

I don’t think you understand the post  

It is not the nuts it is the people who are nuts. Everyone want everything just the way they personally want things without thoughts of others. Things change be flexible 

On 4/7/2024 at 8:50 AM, CruisinFinsUp said:

Same for tree nuts.  Not just peanuts. 

Our daughter has a tree nut allergy. She is elite on Princess but her allergy has progressed to air borne.   Unfortunately she will not be able to cruise anymore due to all the nuts on board.  

I'm so sorry for your kid.  I know it's stressful to manage and especially frustrating when something that was safe is no longer an option.

My kid also has tree nut/peanut allergies - we are considering Princess for Alaska.  We haven't had airborne issues but it's still not comforting to hear your story.

4 hours ago, memoak said:

It is not the nuts it is the people who are nuts. Everyone want everything just the way they personally want things without thoughts of others. Things change be flexible 

So what should the people do on the ship that would like nuts?

Not eat them? 

There had to be some middle ground to appease everyone. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Colorado Coasty said:

To heck with nuts, bring back the olive boats at Crooners.

do olives sell drinks?

do nuts sell drinks?

does popcorn sell drinks?

does Princess even want to sell more drinks since the current Packages and P already has your money?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, voljeep said:

do olives sell drinks?

do nuts sell drinks?

does Princess even want to sell more drinks since the current Packages and P already has your money?

I order martinis just to get the olives. Pretty sure I get my monies worth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
24 minutes ago, voljeep said:

do olives sell drinks?

do nuts sell drinks?

Not directly perhaps but if they make the experience better for the customer and the customer returns to book another cruise then yes, they do! 

On 4/4/2024 at 9:05 AM, startedwithamouse said:

Just try not to bring peanuts onboard due to allergies other guests may have.

Even if you consume in your cabin, there's peanut dust. 

DH has deadly allergy to tree nuts and unfortunately they are all over the ship (desserts, main courses with almonds and pistachio, etc).  We have just learned to be VERY careful and prepared with EpiPens and Benadryl).  

• Like 5

On 4/8/2024 at 4:42 PM, memoak said:

Surely consideration for others works both ways!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 2:33 PM, voljeep said:

do olives sell drinks?

do nuts sell drinks?

Well, yes. Even dive shore-side bars used to provide free salty snacks to increase drink consumption.

Speaking of which, when is the last time you saw a big jar of pickled pigs' feet on top of the bar? Used to be quite common.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2024 at 10:36 PM, MacMadame said:

But not from smelling it. They'd have to eat it.

Actually, that is not true.  One of my daughter's friends when growing up could not go to restaurants that served certain types of seafood because the oils (or something) can become airborne and he would have very serious life-threatening reactions.  When they went on a school trip, he had to stay on the bus for one restaurant because there was a last-minute substitution of places and he couldn't go into the restaurant.  Luckily, his mom had packed a ton of non-perishable meals for him just in case. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 9:01 AM, memoak said:

So not go to sporting events or bars ?  There is a good reason most airlines do not serve peanuts at all. We do ask all the time if there are nuts in certain dishes at restaurants and on board. 

United does serve mixed nuts in Polaris Class and so do other airlines in International FC.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 4:43 PM, damiross said:

What is causing tree nut/peanut allergy?  When I was a kid (1950s to 1970s), no one had allergies to nuts.

One theory as for the increase in peanut allergies is:

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, doctors changed their approach regarding food allergies. They mistakenly thought that delaying the feeding of peanut for several years was the best approach to preventing peanut allergies. 

In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a (now-outdated) recommendation in 2000, which directed parents to avoid feeding baby peanuts until they reached the age of three, especially if a baby was at high risk for a peanut allergy.

Today, doctors know that this approach to delay peanut introduction actually increases food allergy risk, and that delayed introduction was a major factor that led to the sharp increase in peanut allergies.

Thanks to landmark clinical studies, doctors now know that the opposite approach, feeding baby peanut early and often, before they turn one is the best way to prevent peanut allergies.

• Like 4