NUTS!

Guest Snaxmuppet

38 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Definitely avoid MSC if that is the case. They serve little bowls of chips and peanuts every evening in all the bars onboard.

That sounds pretty great. 

Also, NCL will give you bar snack mix if you kind of beg for it (at least that's my experience).

Guilty, mindless snacking at my favorite location, a bar.....I wish Princess had it too...but then again, it's probably for the best...who needs more eating while cruising?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JGmf said:

That sounds pretty great. 

Also, NCL will give you bar snack mix if you kind of beg for it (at least that's my experience).

Guilty, mindless snacking at my favorite location, a bar.....I wish Princess had it too...but then again, it's probably for the best...who needs more eating while cruising?

Yeah, on MSC they would always bring the little bowl of chips and little bowl of peanuts while we were having our pre-dinner drinks and I didn't want to spoil my appetite, but I could not resist them. Worse yet was when we would hang out at a bar after dinner and the would bring us even more! I already lack willpower when it comes to food. Throw in salty snacks and alcohol and I don't stand a chance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

If you take them off shi and they are not prepackaged they may be confiscated as you hit the pier. Many ports have dogs to sniff out prohibited food 

Yes, that's very true. 

8 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Just try not to bring peanuts onboard due to allergies other guests may have.

Even if you consume in your cabin, there's peanut dust. 

So for the sake of maybe 2-3% of the cruising population, 97-98% of the cruising population should not eat peanuts? 

I don't think fish should be served onboard because the smell can make me feel sick.    (Same thing as the peanuts allergy)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, damiross said:

So for the sake of maybe 2-3% of the cruising population, 97-98% of the cruising population should not eat peanuts? 

I don't think fish should be served onboard because the smell can make me feel sick.    (Same thing as the peanuts allergy)

No if my wife were to eat peanuts she good die. A little different

3 hours ago, damiross said:

You're saying you'll die? 

Absolutely not the same at all.

4 hours ago, damiross said:

Feeling nauseated from the smell of a food is nothing like dying from a food allergy. 

Guest Snaxmuppet

Please, lets not get into a fight over whether peanuts should be allowed because of peanut allergy. Clearly they are allowed on board in general as they are served at mealtimes. 

Peanut allergy is serious. People can easily die from being exposed to peanuts and it isn't just consuming them either. So yes, I think our right to eat peanuts is trumped by someone's right to live.

But that is not the question posed here is it. The issue is not whether we should eat nuts... that is a wholly different question and one that is not really cruising related. The issue is can I get nuts and can I take my own on board.

49 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Please, lets not get into a fight over whether peanuts should be allowed because of peanut allergy. Clearly they are allowed on board in general as they are served at mealtimes. 

Peanut allergy is serious. People can easily die from being exposed to peanuts and it isn't just consuming them either. So yes, I think our right to eat peanuts is trumped by someone's right to live.

But that is not the question posed here is it. The issue is not whether we should eat nuts... that is a wholly different question and one that is not really cruising related. The issue is can I get nuts and can I take my own on board.

I have taken packs of cashews onboard. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, memoak said:

No if my wife were to eat peanuts she good die. A little different

She honestly should take all feasible precautions and not place herself in situations where she could come in contact with them. 

Expecting everyone around her vicinity to know that is simply  impossible. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 555 said:

She honestly should take all feasible precautions and not place herself in situations where she could come in contact with them. 

Expecting everyone around her vicinity to know that is simply  impossible. 

So not go to sporting events or bars ?  There is a good reason most airlines do not serve peanuts at all. We do ask all the time if there are nuts in certain dishes at restaurants and on board. 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

So not go to sporting events or bars ?  There is a good reason most airlines do not serve peanuts at all. We do ask all the time if there are nuts in certain dishes at restaurants and on board. 

If you feel it's not safe, avoid those events. Everyone had to make their own decisions. 

Last cruise they even had nuts in the oatmeal cookies which I didn't expect.

Southwest proudly serves a non-peanut snack.  What's funny is that the package says the snack was made in a factory that also made peanut snacks.

• Haha 4

On 4/5/2024 at 1:21 AM, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Feeling nauseated from the smell of a food is nothing like dying from a food allergy. 

People can die from an allergy to shell fish.

21 hours ago, damiross said:

Southwest proudly serves a non-peanut snack.  What's funny is that the package says the snack was made in a factory that also made peanut snacks.

Leave it to Southwest!  Always the jokesters!

2 hours ago, suzyed said:

Leave it to Southwest!  Always the jokesters!

Note a joke.  There is an actual, serious warning.  If you look, you can see the same time of warning on other "peanut free" snacks.

On 4/4/2024 at 12:05 PM, startedwithamouse said:

Just try not to bring peanuts onboard due to allergies other guests may have.

Even if you consume in your cabin, there's peanut dust. 

Same for tree nuts.  Not just peanuts. 

Our daughter has a tree nut allergy. She is elite on Princess but her allergy has progressed to air borne.   Unfortunately she will not be able to cruise anymore due to all the nuts on board.  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Same for tree nuts.  Not just peanuts. 

Our daughter has a tree nut allergy. She is elite on Princess but her allergy has progressed to air borne.   Unfortunately she will not be able to cruise anymore due to all the nuts on board.  

Our biggest problem with airborne peanuts comes from peanuts in the shell   When people crack them open the dust gets into the air and causes asthma like symptoms. We just have learned to ask in restaurants if there is any question