New Years Eve parties on cruise ships

What are these generally like and does it differ from ship to ship? If they take place on the lido/pool deck, do people jump in the pool with their clothes on?!

Posted (edited)

It varies by ship and cruise line as different ships are designed with different venues that may accommodate a NYE party differently.  And the cruising atmosphere differs from cruise line to cruise line. But in our experience they are typically outdoors, often on the pool or other similar deck.  They also can be indoors, for instance on RCCL Oasis class (and similar) ships, with an indoor promenade that works well for this.

They are usually a lot of fun and our experience with Celebrity included them providing a fair amount of complimentary champagne as the hour drew near.

Never seen anyone jumping into pools with their clothes on as most parties, while active and a good time, are a little more refined and have not been that crazy.  At least not in our experience on RCCL and Celebrity.  Maybe other lines.........

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

I have been on two cruise lines on new year's eve and both were disappointing.  The first was on Carnival and there were no people jumping in the pool fully clothed, but there were a lot just wearing bathing suits and far to drunk for my liking.  The other was just no excitement at all, but it was a River Cruise and most had gone to bed.

But, I don't care for "mass parties" with people I don't know...  so I am not a good judge.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I have been on two cruise lines on new year's eve and both were disappointing.  The first was on Carnival and there were no people jumping in the pool fully clothed, but there were a lot just wearing bathing suits and far to drunk for my liking.  The other was just no excitement at all, but it was a River Cruise and most had gone to bed.

But, I don't care for "mass parties" with people I don't know...  so I am not a good judge.

I know you’re also a Viking enthusiast, and we were on Neptune for New Year’s Eve this year. It was a very good party, beside the pool. No one went for a swim, appropriately dressed or otherwise, but there was lots of good music, and many sociable people.

7 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I know you’re also a Viking enthusiast, and we were on Neptune for New Year’s Eve this year. It was a very good party, beside the pool. No one went for a swim, appropriately dressed or otherwise, but there was lots of good music, and many sociable people.

Yeah, for me New Year is a "forced" reason to be in a good mood and to be social.  This is probably why my Husband and I just stay to ourselves for New Years.

I think however if I were on a Viking Ocean ship I would force myself to stay up and attend because the demographics are so different from a Carnival ship.

• Like 1

My very first cruise was a NYE one but NYE was embarkation night so a lot of people were jet lagged or tired from traveling so it was much more subdued than I expected. But that was decades ago so maybe they try harder these days. 🤷‍♀️

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

My very first cruise was a NYE one but NYE was embarkation night so a lot of people were jet lagged or tired from traveling so it was much more subdued than I expected. But that was decades ago so maybe they try harder these days. 🤷‍♀️

On our NYE cruises NYE was always a couple of days or so into the cruise and often with a day at sea to follow. Coincidence or good planning it aways worked well for the celebration on board.

• Like 1

New years cruises are all different depending on the line. RCCL, Carnival, NCL, will all have multiple parties at one time. Largest will be the one on deck usually weather permitting. There are usually smaller parties in the lounges that are much more relaxed. Years ago it was party hard out on deck, now honestly we avoid holiday cruises lol

On 4/15/2024 at 12:40 PM, EA1978 said:

If they take place on the lido/pool deck, do people jump in the pool with their clothes on?!

Why would people do that?  Is that a tradition for where you are from?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Why would people do that?  Is that a tradition for where you are from?

If you're from the land of frat parties, then yes.  Would generally lead to a visit from security, and perhaps a disembarkation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've only been on one NYE cruise, and it was on a RCI Voyager Class ship.  There were a few parties across the ship, but the main one was in the Royal Promenade.  It was a blast.  There was a live band, free champagne, confetti, and all the usual NYE trinkets.  RCI does a great job with the sound and lighting.  

2 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I've only been on one NYE cruise, and it was on a RCI Voyager Class ship.  There were a few parties across the ship, but the main one was in the Royal Promenade.  It was a blast.  There was a live band, free champagne, confetti, and all the usual NYE trinkets.  RCI does a great job with the sound and lighting.  

Al that was missing on our Oasis NYE this year, which was also well done in the RP, was the free champagne.  Cutbacks, I guess - LOL.

7 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Al that was missing on our Oasis NYE this year, which was also well done in the RP, was the free champagne.  Cutbacks, I guess - LOL.

That cheap sparkling wine they serve is no loss! For New Year’s Eve, buy the good stuff!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 12:55 PM, ldubs said:

To avoid getting kicked off the ship, best remove clothes before jumping into the pool. 

LOL. I think you may have that backwards. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2024 at 12:55 PM, ldubs said:

To avoid getting kicked off the ship, best remove clothes before jumping into the pool. 

Based on the vast majority of cruisers I have had the great pleasure of being around, IMO it would be best if they kept as much clothing as possible in place on their person at all times - pool or no pool.  And I will include myself in that distinguished list!

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2024 at 11:02 AM, CDNPolar said:

I am sort of the same. I see these things as forced fun. And anyway, does anyone actually care about new year any more? Its just another day. Well it is to us. We dont even stay up till midnight usually anymore. It just signifies the end of the xmas holidays and a close return to the grind of work.

On saying that, surely you wouldnt jump into the pool unless you were very drunk?

The only ones who would do it sober are surely exhibitionists who crave to be the centre of attention. Plenty of them about mind.

• Like 1