Live from the Volendam - please join the Merry Widows on their cruise 😊

kazu

On 4/24/2024 at 8:38 PM, Iamthesea said:

Is Pinnacle Grill open for lunch on embarkation days or only sea days?

Sea days.  They are busy on embarkation day doing the wheel chair assistance.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, roupa said:

Welcome to a beautiful day in our beautiful city of Boston!   Just watched you arrive as we did our walk at Castle Island… that fort you should have seen on your port side.

Enjoy the day!

thanks - we saw a lot coming into Boston.  Really nice sights and yes, “thar be whales”. - just some spouts  but there were lots as they made their way up north.

• Like 7

Sorry busy day today - I will catch up tomorrow.  All.I will say is  I could never drive in Boston.  what a zoo.  But our chauffeur did a great job and we got back to the ship.in plenty of time.

Beautiful sail a way even if it was pitch black.  Unfortunately I was charging my  phone so I only had my Ipad but…

IMG_2354.thumb.jpeg.a0c4c2e884955faa8ac6c7e32cc93dcd.jpeg

I don’t think traffic was crazy due to the full moon 😉 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Sorry busy day today - I will catch up tomorrow.  All.I will say is  I could never drive in Boston.  what a zoo.  But our chauffeur did a great job and we got back to the ship.in plenty of time.

Beautiful sail a way even if it was pitch black.  Unfortunately I was charging my  phone so I only had my Ipad but…

IMG_2354.thumb.jpeg.a0c4c2e884955faa8ac6c7e32cc93dcd.jpeg

I don’t think traffic was crazy due to the full moon 😉 

It’s not the full moon- Boston drivers are their own class.

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

So the night before we went to the Pinnacle Grill for dinner.

It was deb’s birthday on this cruise but on the 22nd.  she chose the 24th since it was 1/2 way between hers and her DD DH’s.

By the way, our old waiter never sang happy birthday to her nor gave her a cake.  She was happy not to be sung to though.  PG made sure she got a cake.

IMG_2745.thumb.jpeg.a42ffcf9f32568a516132d4ac9b81133.jpeg

PG can be a mixed bag on some ships.  On this one, it was very good.

we really enjoyed our appetizers:

IMG_2741.thumb.jpeg.fc1ee5beeda38c98a48b43c85794fc0f.jpeg

IMG_2742.thumb.jpeg.786bc907e5c953d933cd75e1296366b6.jpeg

For the main I had the tenderloin with lobster dumplings - OMG.  

And here’s where Debbie fell down on her job.  She and I forgot about pics until it was toll late and not picture worthy.  It was that good.  Well worth it on this ship.

We smartened up for dessert.  I had the soufflé 

IMG_2744.thumb.jpeg.87108c187666760c190fd0670572be74.jpeg

and Deb the cheese tray 

IMG_2743.thumb.jpeg.ba9712da49410e0609e0439900912848.jpeg

that’s right - no crackers on it but there were two bread sticks.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Back tracking again….

We were off to a rough start with our fights to get to FLL.  Well, our luck continued.  When I got out of the Uber on Saturday, one of my walking canes would no longer lock and Sunday when our luggage arrived, Debbie’s handle on her luggage was broken.

It was too risky to leave the walking cane like that.  I had gotten some packing tape from the hotel to lock it in place but I knew that would only hold so long.  

So, we went to the concierge to see if they had some duck tape or some such animal that we could use.  She asked if I could manage without it for one day and, since we were on board and it’s not a big ship, I certaily could.  

Deb mentioned her luggage handle to see if they could do something similar and the concierge was down to take a damage report.  We emphasized we did not think the crew did it - stevedores perhaps?  

She took deb’s luggage and said she would see what they could do.

early on day 2, she arrived at our room with my cane locking beautifully.  It won’t be properly foldable anymore but that’s ok, I’ll use it at the airport and scream at the manufacturer when I get home (they were brand new - bought for this trip).

Yesterday when I went in she asked if we would be in our cabin for a few minutes.  when I answered the affirmative she was down in about 15 minutes beaming.  Deb’s handle on her luggage had been replaced.  the new handle matched the luggage perfectly.  

We were both very impressed.  My walking cane works great and Deb’s luggage looks fine.  

Thank you clever upholsters and workers behind the scenes at HAL.  Fabulous jobs and so appreciated ♥️ 

• Like 51
  • Thanks 4

Yesterday we were in Boston.

CC friends Peter & Paul @P&PNH had offered to show us around and had a fabulous itinerary planned for us and then…..

the itinerary got changed due to having to travel slowly for the whale migration.  They worked around it, got our tickets changed, bless them and were there waiting for us to disembark.

We were chaufferured around Boston.  They had rec or ended the Duck Boat tour since it was hard to get around the historic area of Boston by car.

It was a fabulous idea.   The duck boat travels on land and water 

IMG_2773.thumb.jpeg.1f8fb526b8f2270d64fb8fd3d7efc1fb.jpeg

our narrator was so good.  Humourous, full of history and engaged the children on board.  He did a fabulous job and we all really enjoyed him.

IMG_2774.thumb.jpeg.a06d6671fc728486f3f23a254b7166ec.jpeg

couldn’t take pics because of the movement & type of windows (built to push out in case of problems - they go over safety procedures impeccably)

It’s an 80 minute tour and a great way to see that part of Boston on land and sea.

After, it was time to fight the traffic and head to one spot we of course, had to see.  

IMG_2777.thumb.jpeg.bed2d52865114818264271a35379d569.jpeg

It’s really the Bull and Finch but it is the bar where Cheers was filmed and based on.  

We were happy just to see it.

IMG_2775.thumb.jpeg.3ceb14ae7a9d59cd4764e910e3fce7fe.jpeg

IMG_2776.thumb.jpeg.e83dbb3a4bada0a52efa34184de67938.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

It’s not the full moon- Boston drivers are their own class.

I was gonna say, but you beat me to it.

And don't be in a hurry - allow extra time to get anywhere. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, kazu said:

...It was deb’s birthday on this cruise but on the 22nd.  she chose the 24th since it was 1/2 way between hers and her DD DH’s.

By the way, our old waiter never sang happy birthday to her nor gave her a cake.  She was happy not to be sung to though.  PG made sure she got a cake.

IMG_2745.thumb.jpeg.a42ffcf9f32568a516132d4ac9b81133.jpeg

and Deb the cheese tray 

IMG_2743.thumb.jpeg.ba9712da49410e0609e0439900912848.jpeg

that’s right - no crackers on it but there were two bread sticks.

Is this the great cracker shortage of 2024? You got 2 on a plate and none on this one?

Happy Birthday Deb!!

• Like 7

Just catching up, glad to hear you had your dining room problem sorted out, they can't fix it if they don't know it's broken. 

• Like 5

Then we headed to see a couple of spots and for a bite - my friends chose the Oyster Bar.  I had made it clear it was my treat.  Least I could do.   Oldest restaurant in Boston and maybe the U.S.?  

IMG_2786.thumb.jpeg.efbe4ac17a6d397ee313b1b54d5ff703.jpeg

Strange rule though - Peter had dropped us off so we didn’t have to walk too far and was parking the car.  When we told the restaurant we were 4 and he would be there shortly, they said we can’t seat you until all your party has arrived.  That’s a first for me.

once we seated the waitress quickly gave us all some cornbread.

IMG_2779.thumb.jpeg.db6098c5941a0cddb422fc96761b0e30.jpeg

It was really good. 

And was the wine 😉 

IMG_2780.thumb.jpeg.af6a2929f1c92cc1fd37093f55bc1152.jpeg

Deb & I shared a seafood platter.  Yummy with oysters, calamari, shrimp & fish.

IMG_2781.thumb.jpeg.a5b394d73458a0826e2e0c514ad5d073.jpeg

IMG_2782.thumb.jpeg.8ea6b7cd197c350d216945a6a87a0be4.jpeg

Peter had the fried clams & Paula the shrimp.  

IMG_2783.thumb.jpeg.a72ee6e49ee6dfcd423540891adb9ed7.jpeg

IMG_2784.thumb.jpeg.d9c678e8b4ddfadf0033444041c5663c.jpeg

Everyone enjoyed their meal.(sorry - no idea why the clams are upside down).

Pitch dark so back to the ship. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Is this the great cracker shortage of 2024? You got 2 on a plate and none on this one?

Happy Birthday Deb!!

LOL - I should have brought some.  No idea there were none here.

Deb said who heard of cheese with no crackers.  LOL.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, ski ww said:

Just catching up, glad to hear you had your dining room problem sorted out, they can't fix it if they don't know it's broken. 

Yup.  I explained the concerns so I’m sure there will be some re-training.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, kazu said:

early on day 2, she arrived at our room with my cane locking beautifully.  It won’t be properly foldable anymore but that’s ok, I’ll use it at the airport and scream at the manufacturer when I get home (they were brand new - bought for this trip).

Yesterday when I went in she asked if we would be in our cabin for a few minutes.  when I answered the affirmative she was down in about 15 minutes beaming.  Deb’s handle on her luggage had been replaced.  the new handle matched the luggage perfectly.  

We were both very impressed.  My walking cane works great and Deb’s luggage looks fine.  

Thank you clever upholsters and workers behind the scenes at HAL.  Fabulous jobs and so appreciated ♥️ 

That is so great to read!!! 

I am enjoying reading your updates and wonderful photos. Sounds like you are having a great cruise! 🙂  

• Like 9

@kazua couple of restaurants here in Windsor have starting doing the same thing, not seating a party until everyone is there. There might be more but we don’t go out enough to make a definitive statement.

• Like 6

I was going to buy 2 folding canes for our recent overseas trip. DD put her foot down and said absolutely not as they just aren’t reliable. I tried to protest as flight attendants take them away and they cause issues in security too. Glad DH listed to her as I would have been up the proverbial creek with 4 fractures and no cane!  And yes, Air Canada took it away, but only for landing back in YYZ. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Yesterday we were in Boston.

CC friends Peter & Paul @P&PNH had offered to show us around and had a fabulous itinerary planned for us and then…..

the itinerary got changed due to having to travel slowly for the whale migration.  They worked around it, got our tickets changed, bless them and were there waiting for us to disembark.

We were chaufferured around Boston.  They had rec or ended the Duck Boat tour since it was hard to get around the historic area of Boston by car.

It was a fabulous idea.   The duck boat travels on land and water 

IMG_2773.thumb.jpeg.1f8fb526b8f2270d64fb8fd3d7efc1fb.jpeg

our narrator was so good.  Humourous, full of history and engaged the children on board.  He did a fabulous job and we all really enjoyed him.

IMG_2774.thumb.jpeg.a06d6671fc728486f3f23a254b7166ec.jpeg

couldn’t take pics because of the movement & type of windows (built to push out in case of problems - they go over safety procedures impeccably)

It’s an 80 minute tour and a great way to see that part of Boston on land and sea.

After, it was time to fight the traffic and head to one spot we of course, had to see.  

IMG_2777.thumb.jpeg.bed2d52865114818264271a35379d569.jpeg

It’s really the Bull and Finch but it is the bar where Cheers was filmed and based on.  

We were happy just to see it.

IMG_2775.thumb.jpeg.3ceb14ae7a9d59cd4764e910e3fce7fe.jpeg

IMG_2776.thumb.jpeg.e83dbb3a4bada0a52efa34184de67938.jpeg

great recommendation, duck tour. I’ll be in Boston 6/20 before 6/22 sailaway. Now I know what tour I’m taking.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, superoma said:

@kazua couple of restaurants here in Windsor have starting doing the same thing, not seating a party until everyone is there. There might be more but we don’t go out enough to make a definitive statement.

That’s pretty common here (and has been) for years, especially in popular restaurants.

• Like 7

A cheese board with no crackers . . .  just like our trans-Atlantic!  You'd think they'd provide some with the cheese, seriously.  They don't have to buy the little packets, just buy in bulk and mete them out when needed.  Honestly!!!!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On our TA on the NS, I can't remember if there were crackers or not, I didn't have the cheese plate, but Martha did a couple of times.  I do remember there were fresh Wasa crackers out in the Lido.  Maybe have a look there on Volendam and if there are any, smuggle a few into a plastic bag for emergencies!

Jacqui, I'm enjoying your thread, thank you for posting.  @1of4, I found that my stick would slip to the very back of the overhead bin if I didn't hide it, then it becomes very difficult to retrieve.  I try to slip it down on the floor out of sight now, and have managed to get away with it usually.  Either that, or I hang onto it until the very last minute and try to stash it at the very front of the bin.

• Like 11

Jacqui - I'm glad you had a good birthday dinner for Deb - nice birthday cake from HAL!

That's great you enjoyed your day in Boston. 😊

I lived around the corner from the Bull and Finch pub before the Cheers TV show made it famous. The character Norm was based on a real life person who always said "One more beer and then I have to go." It was a fun place.

HAL needs to get some crackers for the cheese plates!!

• Like 7

Good morning, 

@kazu so glad you are having a good trip and I really enjoyed seeing all the photos and reading about your trip to Boston. 

I've been debating about the filet with lobster dumplings for my next Pinnacle Grill dinner in July. Tell me more please! 

Have a wonderful trip!

Karen

• Like 8