Royal App and iPhone

Daughter has an older iPhone and is unable to download the app. so no check in when boarding. I am guessing the "old fashion way" of printed documents is what will need to be done. Am I correct with this? Any other options? Thanks

If anyone else she is traveling with on the same or linked reservation can use the app (iPhone or Android), she or they can check her in without needing to print documents. Even the boarding passes can be swiped to others in the same party.

• Like 1

She  has done on line checked in. Guess my question wasn't clear. Asking about check in at pier. Will she need to print documents or are there other methods? Hope this clears up my question. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, looking4info said:

She  has done on line checked in. Guess my question wasn't clear. Asking about check in at pier. Will she need to print documents or are there other methods? Hope this clears up my question. Thanks.

The app works for me but I always use a printed setsail pass from the website.  I find that it is quicker to show the printed pass to the check-in agent rather than fumbling around with my phone. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, looking4info said:

At the port "check in" is the "Set Sail Pass". So my previous statement still stands. If she is traveling with anyone else on the same or linked reservation, you only need 1 person whose phone has the app (and working) as you can swipe from passenger to passenger on the same phone to get each person's Set Sail Pass.

You have not given any indication as to whether she is (a minor?) traveling with you/family (or friends) on the same reservation or an adult (where she might be on her own unlinked reservation).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Anton said:

The app works for me but I always use a printed setsail pass from the website.  I find that it is quicker to show the printed pass to the check-in agent rather than fumbling around with my phone. 

While I have no issues with and prefer to use the app, I do pack a printed copy in my carry on just is case.

• Like 1

Just now, RobInMN said:

While I have no issues with and prefer to use the app, I do pack a printed copy in my carry on just is case.

We were departing for Baltic sea cruise. Whipped out my trusty Iphone and zip, Nada . So the printed copy came in pretty handy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, looking4info said:

Will she need to print documents or are there other methods?

She can use a screen shot of the SetSail pass on her older phone - the only thing that is really needed is the barcode from it.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

We were departing for Baltic sea cruise. Whipped out my trusty Iphone and zip, Nada . So the printed copy came in pretty handy.

If your iPhone had battery issues, then the printed copy was a good alternative.  If you are talking zip, nada, not cellular coverage, that can happen anywhere.  We always put our set sail passes in our wallet on our iPhone so that we don't have to access the app since the app can be unreliable. The iphone wallet can be accessed without cellular or wifi.  Screenshot of the set sail pass works too.

15 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

If your iPhone had battery issues, then the printed copy was a good alternative.  If you are talking zip, nada, not cellular coverage, that can happen anywhere.  We always put our set sail passes in our wallet on our iPhone so that we don't have to access the app since the app can be unreliable. The iphone wallet can be accessed without cellular or wifi.  Screenshot of the set sail pass works too.

My iphone had no service issues.  

6 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

My iphone had no service issues.  

We had no service in Vancouver, so having our set sail passes in our iphone wallet worked great.  We sometimes print them too, if I remember and have ink. 😄 

Thank you for all your responses.

RobInMin, I was typing as you were responding the first time. Thanks for the info. 

She will be traveling with minor daughter (no phone). Her boarding time is much earlier than ours. I linked the reservations today and as mentioned by Biker19 I did a screen shots and sent them to her. All is good. Thanks for all the help.

7 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Curious why you would print out a copy just in case. I always add our boarding passes to my wallet (IPhone). I understand the possibility of WiFi not working at the port, but passes in your wallet always work, assuming your phone still works/has power. 

I have an iPhone and I save the set sail passes to my wallet. I always print them out also just as a backup. So far I haven’t had to use the paper printouts as my phone always works. 

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Curious why you would print out a copy just in case. I always add our boarding passes to my wallet (IPhone). I understand the possibility of WiFi not working at the port, but passes in your wallet always work, assuming your phone still works/has power. 

Just never really got in the habit of using the phone wallet app. 

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Strange: I have no option to add set sail pass to the wallet? I usually do! Looking at set sail in the app. 
iphone 14

That's odd. It appears normally for me.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Not for boarding, but for scanning at bars prior to getting a card.

Like I mentioned I always save boarding passes to my wallet, but I can’t remember the last time a bartender asked to see a boarding pass when I went to a bar after boarding the ship (which is the first thing I do every cruise). All they ask for is my cabin number. Of course having the boarding pass handy in my app wallet helps so I don’t forget my cabin number, which happens way too often when I first board a ship. 

9 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

but I can’t remember the last time a bartender asked to see a boarding pass when I went to a bar after boarding the ship (which is the first thing I do every cruise). All they ask for is my cabin number.

It's been hit or miss for us. Sometimes they want to scan a barcode, others, just ask for a room number.

21 hours ago, fenton04 said:

Screenshot and apple wallet is what most of us use.

14 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have my passes saved and it has always work even recently in Australia where I was in airplane mode with no wifi.  I don't think people understand the concept of the wallet or the screenshot.  Especially a screenshot.  Its a picture.

23 hours ago, looking4info said:

Daughter has an older iPhone and is unable to download the app. so no check in when boarding. I am guessing the "old fashion way" of printed documents is what will need to be done. Am I correct with this? Any other options? Thanks

yes

Here is an option for your situation and perhaps others. We do this for every cruise.

Purchase a Go Phone (or similar) on something like Amazon. Here is the one that just came up cheap.There are lots of ones to select from.

Go Phone Example.

Open the phone, decline all the enrollments and activation trash, delete all the unwanted apps and log in to your internet provider and download the Royal App. 

Bingo, you have a decent little web browsing capable device.
 I used mine for Spotify, MLB and a few other news services to stream around the house to Bluetooth speakers. The benefit is if I drop it overboard I'm out $40 versus an insurance claim for a ridiculous priced iPhone.