Does BA still not give out PJs in Business Class?

SelectSys

Unlike at least some other OW carriers, BA as of my last flight in 2023 didn’t provide sleepwear in business class.  Is this still true?  I am flying BA very soon and will bring some from another carrier if they still don’t.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Posted (edited)

@the mice, Thanks - it looks like nothing has changed as the date of the article is very recent. 

It’s interesting that none of the major transatlantic carriers based in Europe offer them and the Big 3 US carriers do.

Edited by SelectSys

17 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

It’s interesting that none of the major transatlantic carriers based in Europe offer them and the Big 3 US carriers do.

UA and AA are only on a very few routes, and DL gives nothing.

I find it amusing that JAL loans you a sweater, considering how warm their cabins usually are.  (About 75F on my last JAL flight).

19 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

@the mice, Thanks - it looks like nothing has changed as the date of the article is very recent. 

I think it is based on how long the flight is.  Never got pj's on a UA flight to Europe.  We fly Emirates at end of September and flight time is 7:55.  According to article, only given on flights 9 hours+.  YMMV. 

5 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

UA and AA are only on a very few routes, and DL gives nothing.

I find it amusing that JAL loans you a sweater, considering how warm their cabins usually are.  (About 75F on my last JAL flight).

Even as a OneWorld loyalist, I avoid JAL like the plague for anything more than medium-haul flights because of the heat. I just can't sleep/relax when it's like that. I'll always pick Cathay Pacific instead when possible. I'll even choose AA over JAL for longhaul stuff because of that. 

6 hours ago, SelectSys said:

and the Big 3 US carriers do.

I flew Business on United last year from Australia to Miami return and never got the pajamas. It was interesting to read that you had to know to ask for them as they aren't given out as standard even on long haul overnight flights.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for their responses and information.  I wish more carriers would do this for flights were sleep is a reasonable expectation.  My next flight is SAN to LHR leaving at 5:15 in the afternoon with a flying time on Google posted of about 10.5 hours.  My plan, as always, will be to sleep as much as I can on board.  With the information gleaned in this thread,  I will be certain to take some from another airline.

I guess I was lucky in that my most recent American flight was from Sydney  PJs were offered.  My two transatlantic flights last year were on Iberia and BA respectively so I didn't know that the American distribution was so limited.  My thought has been that carriers are all trying to improve their business class offerings and the distribution of PJs might be becoming more widespread.

Also, I read some of the comments regarding sleepwear in the posted article link.  I found it interesting that some of the people making comments really didn't PJs mattered too much.  Maybe not, but I like receiving them onboard.  My main reasons are they are comfortable to wear onboard and wearing PJs helps keeps the clothes fresh while you are traveling. 

@FlyerTalker - my bad on the article list in thinking Delta was on it.

@Zach1213 - I hate warm cabins as well.  

@the mice - if BA followed the Emirates rule, my flight would warrant PJs.  I think 7 or 8  hours of flight sounds like a good dividing line to me.

@frantic36 - I also believe that Qatar Airways on some of their flights only hands out PJs by request.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I found it interesting that some of the people making comments really didn't PJs mattered too much.  Maybe not, but I like receiving them onboard.  My main reasons are they are comfortable to wear onboard and wearing PJs helps keeps the clothes fresh while you are traveling.

I agree about the last point, but I find airline PJs tend to be made of some of the nastiest artificial fabrics that can be found, and are therefore usually quite uncomfortable. So I bring my own stuff, which is well worth the small extra effort of carrying it.

12 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I avoid JAL like the plague for anything more than medium-haul flights because of the heat.

It's useful to hear this from you, too. JAL isn't often an option for my routes, but it's been cropping up as a possibility a bit more often recently.

Interesting discussion.

I have flown Toronto to Sydney, Tokyo, Beijing, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Hawaii, and far too many to mention European destinations.  These all on many, many airlines that are Canadian based, American based, European based, and APAC based.

I have never been offered PJ's on any flight in Business or First.

Never even knew that this was an option or that you might ask for them.

My first thought is where do you change?  In the lavatory?  That is such a tight space and as a self-proclaimed germ-a-phobe I don't know how you would change in there and emerge in sanitary enough condition to actually lay down and sleep.

We have found over years of travelling clothing that is what I would call "dressy looking" but so very comfortable for flying and sleeping in, that does not wrinkle and looks as fresh when you get off the aircraft as when you left the house.  I only wear what I would call restrictive clothing or something like jeans on a 2-3 hour flight.  Anything overseas and 6+ hours is gonna be our travel clothing for sure. 

@Globaliser - I understand your point regarding quality of some PJs.  I guess when I find some handed by an airline that don't work for me I will pack my own for the future as I will for my upcoming BA flight.  

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Interesting discussion... 

I have never been offered PJ's on any flight in Business or First...

My first thought is where do you change?  In the lavatory?

Good, I am happy that you found this thread interesting.  

I had never been offered PJs on any flight pre-COVID and I just returned to flying long haul until last year.  My thought was that the practice was more wide-spread now as part of the reduction in first class and the competition between carriers to sell their business class products.  

In terms of changing clothes, my wife is the master of changing in her seat - less than a minute.  It makes me wonder if she had a career on stage before we met.  On aircraft with suite doors changing in the seat can be pretty easy and fairly private when the lights are down low. 

We have also used the lavatory.  Some are definitely a bit cramped and although others are larger I have thought about germs.  I like Qatar in this regard as they tend to have disinfecting wipes in their lavatories which make it easy to wipe down surfaces before changing.

29 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

@Globaliser - I understand your point regarding quality of some PJs.  I guess when I find some handed by an airline that don't work for me I will pack my own for the future as I will for my upcoming BA flight.  

Good, I am happy that you found this thread interesting.  

I had never been offered PJs on any flight pre-COVID and I just returned to flying long haul until last year.  My thought was that the practice was more wide-spread now as part of the reduction in first class and the competition between carriers to sell their business class products.  

In terms of changing clothes, my wife is the master of changing in her seat - less than a minute.  It makes me wonder if she had a career on stage before we met.  On aircraft with suite doors changing in the seat can be pretty easy and fairly private when the lights are down low. 

We have also used the lavatory.  Some are definitely a bit cramped and although others are larger I have thought about germs.  I like Qatar in this regard as they tend to have disinfecting wipes in their lavatories which make it easy to wipe down surfaces before changing.

Yes, with suite doors, it would be easy to change at your seat....  never really thought of that.  Still however not every aircraft has suite doors.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Globaliser said:

It's useful to hear this from you, too. JAL isn't often an option for my routes, but it's been cropping up as a possibility a bit more often recently.

The thing is...I want to like JAL. I want to take JAL. I do occasionally end up on their metal longhaul because it's my only option. Their service is great, their food is really good. But I just find myself unable to get too comfortable on their planes. 

My wife had never flown JAL until a few years ago and I forgot to warn her. We hopped on a BKK-NRT flight and she was instantly miserably haha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

Airlines have been offering pyjamas in First/Business Class for decades, think I first got a pair as a wiry teen back in the 1990s on BA in F.

Posted (edited)

JAL keeping the cabin excessively warm is really quite interesting and something I have never considered. They actually state on their web site the cabin is going to be kept warm.  I guess it's great if you are coming from a tropical climate.  

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/health/before/environment.html

• Temperature
    The onboard temperature is maintained at 24ºC using air conditioners.

@Zach1213 - I have a flight between NRT and KUL this fall.  I picked JAL as the better service option over Malaysian Airlines never considering the cabin temperature.  Would you recommend switching airlines?  I am not sure it's possible, but I am curious as to your opinion regarding the two carriers.

Edited by SelectSys

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I flew Business on United last year from Australia to Miami return and never got the pajamas. It was interesting to read that you had to know to ask for them as they aren't given out as standard even on long haul overnight flights.

Yes, they are only given out in Polaris on flights 13+ hours and you must ask for them.  I like them, but would never change into them on a plane.  I save them and they become my travel jammies.  They do not stock enough for everyone.  

Edited by 6rugrats
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

The thing is...I want to like JAL. I want to take JAL. I do occasionally end up on their metal longhaul because it's my only option. Their service is great, their food is really good. But I just find myself unable to get too comfortable on their planes.

I've actually been able to get them to turn it down a bit....a smile, a polite request.  A couple of degrees, but at least something.

OTOH, it gives me an excuse to enjoy a cold beverage -- the onboard Japanese whiskeys have been superb.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

My first thought is where do you change?  In the lavatory?

Yes, normally. It just takes some practice.

Having said that, I'm pretty fond of the vast open spaces of the forward upper deck loos on BA's A380s.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ilovesalchows said:

They gave them out in Virgin Upper Class last week, SEA - LHR. 

They've been a staple in VS Upper Class for a while...something to note is that unlike the ones in BA First and AFAIK every other airline they do launder them and reuse. At least that used to be the case, not sure about post-COVID.

I mean hotel bedsheets are laundered between use but for those who don't buy their clothes from charity shops you may not be the first user of your Upper Class pajamas...

• Like 1