LIVE: British Isle Explorer - May 9, 2024 - Neptune

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Peregrina651 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

My bags are packed. I'm ready to go. I have one more job to do before we walk out the door (in the middle of the night): start this thread (while I still have a real keyboard to type on).

@formernuke covered a lot of ground on his thread, Semi-LIVE from Venus British Isles Explorer 4/19 with Churchill Pre-extension, so check it out as well. It is full of great information and vacation-enducing photos.  Also note that  formernuke did the Churchill extension and took really good notes for anyone who is also doing that extension.

For the search engine, let me name-drop the ports we will be visiting by sharing our schedule:

THU MAY 09, 2024 Embark in London (Greenwich) on Viking Neptune
FRI MAY 10, 2024 London (Greenwich), United Kingdom 02:00 PM
SAT MAY 11, 2024 Dover, United Kingdom 08:00 AM 06:00 PM
SUN MAY 12, 2024 Scenic Sailing: English Channel
MON MAY 13, 2024 Dublin (Dun Laoghaire), Ireland 08:00 AM 08:30 PM
TUE MAY 14, 2024 Holyhead, United Kingdom 08:00 AM 06:00 PM
WED MAY 15, 2024 Liverpool, United Kingdom 07:00 AM 06:00 PM
THU MAY 16, 2024 Belfast, United Kingdom 08:00 AM 06:00 PM
FRI MAY 17, 2024 The Highlands (Ullapool), United Kingdom 12:00 PM 06:00 PM
SAT MAY 18, 2024 Orkney Islands (Kirkwall), United Kingdom 08:00 AM 05:00 PM
SUN MAY 19, 2024 Edinburgh (Newhaven Harbour), United Kingdom 08:00 AM 05:00 PM (always a tender port)
MON MAY 20, 2024 The Highlands (Invergordon), United Kingdom 08:00 AM 05:00 PM
TUE MAY 21, 2024 Shetland Islands (Lerwick), United Kingdom 08:00 AM 05:00 PM
WED MAY 22, 2024 Bergen, Norway 08:00 AM
THU MAY 23, 2024 Disembark in Bergen

We also have 3 full days of touring on our own in London pre-cruise and another four days of touring after as we make our way from Bergen to Oslo, which I will also talk about for the do-it-yourselfers.

So, away we go! 🎉

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

My bags are packed. I'm ready to go. I have one more job to do before we walk out the door (in the middle of the night): start this thread (while I still have a real keyboard to type on).

@formernuke covered a lot of ground on his thread, Semi-LIVE from Venus British Isles Explorer 4/19 with Churchill Pre-extension, so check it out as well. It is full of great information and vacation-enducing photos.  Also note that  formernuke did the Churchill extension and took really good notes for anyone who is also doing that extension.

For the search engine, let me name-drop the ports we will be visiting by sharing our schedule:

THU MAY 09, 2024 Embark in London (Greenwich) on Viking Neptune
FRI MAY 10, 2024 London (Greenwich), United Kingdom 02:00 PM
SAT MAY 11, 2024 Dover, United Kingdom 08:00 AM 06:00 PM
SUN MAY 12, 2024 Scenic Sailing: English Channel
MON MAY 13, 2024 Dublin (Dun Laoghaire), Ireland 08:00 AM 08:30 PM
TUE MAY 14, 2024 Holyhead, United Kingdom 08:00 AM 06:00 PM
WED MAY 15, 2024 Liverpool, United Kingdom 07:00 AM 06:00 PM
THU MAY 16, 2024 Belfast, United Kingdom 08:00 AM 06:00 PM
FRI MAY 17, 2024 The Highlands (Ullapool), United Kingdom 12:00 PM 06:00 PM
SAT MAY 18, 2024 Orkney Islands (Kirkwall), United Kingdom 08:00 AM 05:00 PM
SUN MAY 19, 2024 Edinburgh (Newhaven Harbour), United Kingdom 08:00 AM 05:00 PM (always a tender port)
MON MAY 20, 2024 The Highlands (Invergordon), United Kingdom 08:00 AM 05:00 PM
TUE MAY 21, 2024 Shetland Islands (Lerwick), United Kingdom 08:00 AM 05:00 PM
WED MAY 22, 2024 Bergen, Norway 08:00 AM
THU MAY 23, 2024 Disembark in Bergen

We also have 3 full days of touring on our own in London pre-cruise and another four days of touring after as we make our way from Bergen to Oslo, which I will also talk about for the do-it-yourselfers.

So, away we go! 🎉

Enjoy your trip! I hope the Shetlands are accommodating. 🍺🥌

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

I hope the Shetlands are accommodating.

Not so bad for us; we've been with Viking, but it will be a real disappointment for those who haven't been.

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Not so bad for us; we've been with Viking, but it will be a real disappointment for those who haven't been.

You’ve been fortunate, we are 0 for 3. It’s just a tough port. 

Conversely, we are 2 for 2 in the Faroes, also a notorious miss. Cheers. 🍺🥌

Yea,🥂 looking forward to your new adventures and your ports of call. 

Love that you are doing both pre and post days to  make it a wonderful  vacation. 

• Thanks 1

Lovely 7:20am flight out of Boston. Landed at dinner time. Passport control was for US passports entirely automated and we were done in no time. No checked luggage to deal with.   Underground to hotel was simple -- and only $2.65pp. Weather yesterday was clear and comfy, low 60s as we wandered out to find dinner. And so

ends Day 1 of our adventure. 

We are near the Earls Court Station, staying at the Twenty Nevern Square Hotel. We stayed here in early 2020 and liked the hotel and its location, so we are back. Piccadilly and District line serve the station, very convenient. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Lovely 7:20am flight out of Boston. Landed at dinner time. Passport control was for US passports entirely automated and we were done in no time. No checked luggage to deal with.   Underground to hotel was simple -- and only $2.65pp. Weather yesterday was clear and comfy, low 60s as we wandered out to find dinner. And so

We are near the Earls Court Station, staying at the Twenty Nevern Square Hotel. We stayed here in early 2020 and liked the hotel and its location, so we are back. Piccadilly and District line serve the station, very convenient. 

Glad that you had an easy trip to London.  We fly out of ATL this evening to arrive at Heathrow in the morning.  We’ll probably take the Elizabeth line train to Canary Wharf and then on to our hotel in Greenwich for two nights.  How is the London weather today?  Hope to See you on board.

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Pouring rain all day!  Hanging out at the National Gallery until we head to the London Eye.

Perfectly situated for a quick bite at Cafe in the Crypt at St. Martin’s in the Field. Cafeteria line & afternoon tea! We ate there two or three times in Feb.

• Like 1

Actually we had a lovely lunch in the cafe at the museum and then wended our way to the London Eye.  It was a slow day and they let us on the Eye early.

Heads up to those using the Underground, lots of clean up and repair work on multiple lines causing station closures. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Actually we had a lovely lunch in the cafe at the museum and then wended our way to the London Eye.  It was a slow day and they let us on the Eye early.

Heads up to those using the Underground, lots of clean up and repair work on multiple lines causing station closures. 

A lot of closures over bank holiday weekend so they can do big things. Should be better tomorrow 

• Thanks 1

I will say that the signage was good, giving alternative routes, otherwise, we would still be wandering around 'neath the streets of London.  (Yes Bostonian's, that is an oblique reference to Charlie, the man who never returned).

• Like 4

A,  I'm so excited to being able to "tag along" on your journey!  This was my favorite itinerary ... so much so we did it twice!  Loved every port and would do it all again in a heartbeat!  Guess I truly am an anglophile!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, molymoo said:

A,  I'm so excited to being able to "tag along" on your journey!  This was my favorite itinerary ... so much so we did it twice!  Loved every port and would do it all again in a heartbeat!  Guess I truly am an anglophile!  

I'll try to post pix from the Little Dublin Museum temp location for you.  

16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Welcome to the start of your journey!  I'm excited to follow along.  That morning flight out of Boston is my favorite flight...it's such an easy way to go across, land, grab some food, and then be well rested for the next day.  Enjoy every minute!

14 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I'll try to post pix from the Little Dublin Museum temp location for you.  

I so hope it will be an enjoyable visit!  I have to believe it will be … they are very proud of their special little museum so can’t imagine they wouldn’t pull out all of the stops to do a great job!

We'll be at our place near the Moray Firth in a week, and are planning to visit The Black Isle to look at property. If the weather's decent we might head up that way on the 20th to catch sight of you docked in Invergordon!

• Like 1

About the British Museum...Sorry your guide was a bit of a dud, DesertCruiser. Are there any tips, etc for visiting there? We're heading to BI in summer.

So happy you all are on the water and ready for adventure!

2 hours ago, Moby_Spout said:

About the British Museum...Sorry your guide was a bit of a dud, DesertCruiser. Are there any tips, etc for visiting there? We're heading to BI in summer.

Some clarification for readers.  Desertcruiser post her comments in the May 19 roll call. With two threads in different forums, it sometimes happens this way. 

I apologize for not sharing a link to the comment. 

• Like 2

Signing on finally. We have had busy days since arriving on Monday morning. I have to say we were ready for a 2 hour plus journey through Heathrow, but we we were off plane, walked through passports, customs and bags riding the carousel when we walked up. It was a brief walk to train. On and heading to hotel within an hour.

we are staying at Roseate House a couple minutes from Paddington station. Great people and neighbor. Lots of places to eat and easy to get to major sites. 
First dat we did a HOHO and it was less then desirable. Maybe the rainy weather or maybe just not the right company. Traffic was diverted so May times and at times it seems like driver passed turn so went around again. This was after a new driver who couldn’t seem to keep bus running. We had got a deal for 48 hours with river cruise and just didn’t have it in us to get in again. 
we had a semi private tour through the British Museum. We were told to arrive early as Queen for security long. We were near front and waited well over 20 minutes past time she was to arrive. So we got a late start. She didn’t really share much unless we asked questions.  We finally left after hour and 45 minutes. 
We headed to Westminster Abby and had a wonderful experience there as did all on own. But I must sat when we got there it was posted it was sold out. So it paid to get tickets a few weeks ago. 
Today was tour that was great! We saw all the “best of London”. VIP access to Tower of London -saw Beefeaters opening ceremony and got to hear about their role and ask questions. The Tower wasn’t open yet so we were the first to see Crown Jewels. Well worth it. More time seeing other parts then off to the river for a short tour on the river. Great inside info and stories. 
we exited the Uber boat and did a very informative walk through Westminster City seeing a lot an ended with a walk through test. James’s park to walk up to Buckingham Palace.  Of course the King was in residence and there was a big todo as saw many folks dressed up. News tonight showed him out greeting all those invited. 
Great day but looking forward to embarking the ship to rest. 😂😂😂

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Moby_Spout said:

Last summer we took the London Walks tour of the British Museum. We had visited before but the tour guide really did a great job showing us the highlights and telling marvelous stories about the museum itself that I never knew. 

We’ve taken at least 10 of their tours over many visits and we highly recommend them.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2