REGENT Excursions in Tuscany/Livorno. Suggestions?

Posted (edited)

We have a stop in Tuscany/Livorno Italy on our upcoming Navigator cruise (October).

Our first time to this stop, and we don't have any specific 'interest' in the area and would likely be doing a "Highlights of.....".

Just curious which (in general) would be a better overall Tour - Florence or Pisa or Lucca?

Edited by lesliew
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lesliew said:

We have a stop in Tuscany/Livorno Italy on our upcoming Navigator cruise (October).

Our first time to this stop, and we don't have any specific 'interest' in the area and would likely be doing a "Highlights of.....".

Just curious which (in general) would be a better overall Tour - Florence or Pisa or Lucca?

Although a fairly long drive, I would never miss a chance to go to Florence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

TS:

Having been to Florence twice--once on Regent, the other during independent land travel to Italy, and anticipating we would be at Pisa in two days doing another tour: Selected the Etruscan Necropolises of Cerveteri & Tarquinia Tour. 

This was on a pre-Pandemic Explorer segment.  Wonderful seven or eight-hour tour which began at ancient (circa 500 BC) underground series of tombs carved into a hillside overlooking a valley. Several of the tombs we were allowed to enter (going down steep steps) had mosaic paintings of scenes from the deceased life; or mythological idyllic representations. 

Great guide providing historical context.  Then, to the nearby Museum to observe artifacts.  What caught my eye was a strong Grecian influence in the pottery, drawings, and art.  Came away with an enhanced appreciation of the Etruscan culture.    

The Tour's description we reviewed earlier also described stopping at a "working farm" on the way back to the ship for a "light lunch".  That was another, unexpected delight.  Not "light" at-all.  Family had prepared a lavish spread of meats, veggies, and fruits--all from their land.  And, fresh breads and cheeses.  Courses were paired with local wines.  That lunch took about 1 1/2 hours.  No one wanted to leave the table early.  Of course, there was the opportunity to purchase some of the wines and cheese.

That was a memorable repast.  So memorable we had a very, very light dinner.    

Upon return to ship--mentioned to Cruise Director John Barron, he from England--observing those "Tombs with a View". (Parody on British movie titled "Room with a View".).  John got the connection.  He asked for permission to use that "line" during that evening's Theater Show he would be MCing.  Sure. 

Of course, we attended that performance. John followed-through, with proper attribution. Many in the audience also got the connection. 

Soos---

Recommendation would be:  If not-previously at Florence, by-all means.  Just be prepared for the crowds. Second choice--if offered--would be "Tombs with a View."

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Context.
  • Like 1

Florence is magnificent. However, if you are seeking another venue, Lucca is a lovely, small Tuscan town w an interesting square. Pisa did not capture our hearts.

• Like 2

We did a private tour, I am not sure if I am allowed to post the name.

We designed it ourselves. Saw Pisa when there were no crowds …. the leaning tower photo op is fun but you only need 20 mins to see all. If any longer than that I would not recommend Pisa.

We then went to Florence excellent tour, good fresh pasta lunch and best Gelato at little local shop on the way back to the ship. Florence is beautiful but soooo busy. You can see a lot in a few hours. 
We have also been to Luca several times. Lovely little town inside Medieval walks. You can walk around them. A morning is enough for this unless you are eating Lunch. 

Does Regent offer a trip to a local market with a chef and then a special meal. This was offered in  Livorno with Azamara. There is an excellent market. 
Livorno also has canals and us quite interesting for an afternoon stroll.

• Thanks 1

If you have a sea day before or after you might be able to tolerate the drive.  We did Florence post cruise as it was a wonderful city to stay in and see.  The evenings were great.  If you are over in Italy it is certainly worth a couple of nights pre or post cruise.  

• Thanks 1

We were in Florence and Pisa previously. We chose Lucca, we had a bike ride, not sure if that is offered. Lucca is a lovely walled city and we loved it.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Take a day boat trip up the coast, have lunch at one of the Cinque Terre towns, and take the train back to Livorno - beautiful scenery!

Edited by chaunceyb
  • Thanks 1

If you haven't visited any of the three you listed, I'd recommend you go to Florence, one of the great cities of the world.  I'd save Lucca for another trip...and Pisa for way down the line, after you've visited every other interesting site in Tuscany. 

• Like 2

On our very first Regent cruise years ago, we stopped at that port with every intention of going to Florence. Long story short, we were exhausted so we switched gears and went to Lucca instead. It turned out to be one of our favorite days on our Med cruise and we still talk about how much we love Lucca!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

IMO Florence is a must see.  As mentioned it is very crowded hopefully less so in October.  Try to get a lunch in at a Trattoria. 

And don’t forget the gelato!

Also, when we did this trip a few years ago, on a private tour, we had our driver stop at a Tuscan winery on the way back. Wine, cheese and views, oh my. His tip was a a bottle of excellent wine. He was one happy driver!

Just a great, memorable day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've eaten in hundreds of steakhouses over the years.  One of the best steaks we have ever had was the Bistecca alla Fiorentina in a small trattoria a little ways out of Florence.  The menu was on a plain peice of paper.  Unfortunately I don't remember the name. 

Enoteca Pinchiorri I do remember, we had a wonderful experience there (bring your wallet).  Dinner only I think.

https://enotecapinchiorri.it/?lang=en

https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/toscana/firenze/restaurant/enoteca-pinchiorri

• Like 3