Live Ovation of the Seas Alaska May 17-24, 2024 with Kmom

9 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

So I am not going to get too far into it prior to embarking, but in addition to my job reorganization and its stress, I am also dealing with a significant unforeseen personal family issue. Significant enough to outweigh the stress of reapplying and interviewing without a guarantee of staying employed. 

I’m still grappling with how much to share as it will 100% impact this trip. 

If a crystal ball would have told me about all of it, there’s no way I would have scheduled this trip for May, 2024. Full stop. 

Yet here we are, heading right into it regardless.

I’m so glad I got home in time for this! We got off MSC seashore yesterday. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Mommapadraig said:

I’m so glad I got home in time for this! We got off MSC seashore yesterday. 

Yes you were saying how pleased you were, your best cruise?

5 hours ago, edspec said:

@KmomChicago I run cold, always, so my tips on what to take might not be helpful but things I was grateful for on our Quantum cruise last month are:

1. A light jean jacket to wear over every outfit

2. Black boots which went with most everything I wore so added extra protection against drafts.

3. Two hoodies

4. Spanx faux leather leggings which I wear with a hoodie for day and glitzy top at night.  Easy, easy outfits which were warm AND they worked with the boots.  

What I wish I'd brought:

1. My cruising pajamas instead of beach cover-ups.  On warmer cruises I take t-shirt type cover-ups to sleep in and was on auto pilot when I packed so went with those.  My sleep cover-ups aren't worn outside of the room, they're in case I order early morning room service and want to appear fully dressed before opening the door. Would have much preferred my long sleeve, full length pajamas this time.

2. Fuzzy slipper type socks to wear in the cabin and to bed.  I should have brought 10 pairs, one for every night...didn't bring one 😞

DH laughed at me when I packed the jean jacket but apologized after I received several compliments from other women who obviously run cold like me. 

Perfect. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

@KmomChicago Hope you enjoy your cruise as other things can get dealt with later. Now is the time for you and your kids. Haven’t come across your other reviews, but I’m looking forward to this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SenatorsFan said:

What a beautiful boy @KmomChicago😻

He’s about 5 he is absolutely my good and handsome boy, thank you!

3 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

@KmomChicago...I am late to the party but finally have arrived!

I so enjoy your style of writing and writing is so therapeutic!   You got this and you have earned a fun filled vacation.  Alaska is like no other and you will be making life time memories!

Safe travels and looking forward to following along.

PS - I am right there with you regarding future cruising, for different but similar life altering changes, may be cancelling 3 booked cruises, but have time to decide.  Partner is having some health issues....another reminder to live each day like it is our last!

@Hogladyrider I was wondering when you’d get here! Very glad to have you, sorry about the similar life changes.

3 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

@KmomChicago I have not read one of your threads before but will read this one; you are fun to read. Sorry for all the personal issues going on for you right now.

I know some other folks have posted about fur hats and other fuzzy stuff but don't assume that every day in Alaska is going to be freezing cold. Definitely dress in layers and bring some lighter-weight clothing. It can get warm during the day. And don't forget some kind of raincoat or poncho. So basically bring everything in your closet. 😄

@Kellie in Texas thanks for the advice and for following! We will have a total of 2 large checked bags and three carry ons. I already have three Frogg Toggs ponchos packed! I will bring several thin tshirts for layering as well.

2 hours ago, TravelE said:

I am here and excited to hear about all of your adventures.

We are also embarking on our own Alaska Graduation Cruise this Sunday on the Westerdam. I am hoping for some Northern Lights in Juneau!

@TravelE we’ll be passing each other at some point then, be sure to wave! Let me know what I am missing as I could have ended up on your sailing!

2 hours ago, mkcurran said:

Thank you for doing this. I'm currently shopping cruise lines, so I'm always down for a good review.

@mkcurran thanks for your support and watching out for these lives!!

• Like 3

Currently onboard the Ovation. Some random thoughts:

* Beautiful sunny day in Ketchican. A bit early for the salmon run.

* Cold and raining in Juneau. 5 ships docked the same day. Glad we had our umbrella.

* Skagway...38° and a few drizzles. Free 2-minute shuttles from the ship to the end of the pier. (Not to town)

The shuttle to town is $3 each way. The free shuttle is there because of the ongoing rockslides...passengers are not allowed to walk to and from the ship.

* Seapass and a photo ID is required returning to the ship.

* "Live, Love, Legs" and "Dreams" are current production shows in the theater. "Spectra's Cabaret" in Two70...reservations requied.

Happy sailing!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Subscribed! We will be on the Ovation the following week.  Does anyone know if there is still complimentary luggage valet service from ship to airport?  I would like to extend my stay in Seattle once back in port IF possible.  Thank you, CC!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Currently onboard the Ovation. Some random thoughts:

* Beautiful sunny day in Ketchican. A bit early for the salmon run.

* Cold and raining in Juneau. 5 ships docked the same day. Glad we had our umbrella.

* Skagway...38° and a few drizzles. Free 2-minute shuttles from the ship to the end of the pier. (Not to town)

The shuttle to town is $3 each way. The free shuttle is there because of the ongoing rockslides...passengers are not allowed to walk to and from the ship.

* Seapass and a photo ID is required returning to the ship.

* "Live, Love, Legs" and "Dreams" are current production shows in the theater. "Spectra's Cabaret" in Two70...reservations requied.

Happy sailing!

Great info all around!  I have never really brought photo IDs for everyone when getting off the ship so we will add this. 

I do have reservations for Spectra's Cabaret already. Can you let me know which nights of the cruise the two theater shows are available so I can make sure it doesn't conflict with Spectra?  Thank you so much @bonsai3s.

1 hour ago, KBRADFORD79 said:

Subscribed! We will be on the Ovation the following week.  Does anyone know if there is still complimentary luggage valet service from ship to airport?  I would like to extend my stay in Seattle once back in port IF possible.  Thank you, CC!

Hi, @KBRADFORD79 and welcome aboard! Yes this is the current website for the service. https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

Just now, KmomChicago said:

Can you let me know which nights of the cruise the two theater shows are available so I can make sure it doesn't conflict with Spectra? 

You can set the app to the current sailing (not yours) and see it yourself.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Yes you were saying how pleased you were, your best cruise?

Yes. The reviews were correct. The YC is much better than NCL haven and half the price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to following along.  We did our first Alaskan cruise last summer on Princess with my family, my sister's family and my mom.  We had such a great trip!  Hope yours is excellent too!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

@KmomChicago Hope you enjoy your cruise as other things can get dealt with later. Now is the time for you and your kids. Haven’t come across your other reviews, but I’m looking forward to this one.

@ReneeFLL thank you Renee!  I think we will enjoy it very much!

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

You can set the app to the current sailing (not yours) and see it yourself.

@Biker19 thank you, did not know that, just did it, that is the bomb.com! The current cruise is 8 night because they are moving from Vancouver to Seattle so they have a 3rd headliner show and an extra MDR menu, which is also all cool to see. 

42 minutes ago, ski_mom said:

Looking forward to following along.  We did our first Alaskan cruise last summer on Princess with my family, my sister's family and my mom.  We had such a great trip!  Hope yours is excellent too!

@ski_mom thank you and welcome aboard! I have always wanted to try Princess, because, of course, years and years of The Love Boat and listening to Julie say "we are now arriving in Pwayrrrtoh Vie-arr-tah."  I watched a special episode this week where they went to Alaska, visited some of my same ports, and actually shot quite a few of the scenes onboard a real ship. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CurtandLeslie said:

@CurtandLeslie that worked, thank you so much!  May I offer you Diamond status at this review as a token of my appreciation?  It carries about the value you would probably expect. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So it occurs to me I should mention some of my mentors and idols here in CC board reviewland.  My very favorite reviewer is @harryfat1 who does not live review and in his own words,  was formerly known as CheapoDad (he gets solid value for his dollar which is what I like to do as well).  I think he's hilarious. He's an accountant so my guess is he's pretty Spock-like as I am.  He taught me the single most important lesson about cruising (and vacations in general).  Take the picture. When in doubt, take more pictures. Data is cheap, and you will never have the same chance to take the picture again. Even if you return to the same place someday (doubtful) things will be different and you will have lost the moment. 

Like myself, Harry doesn't always spend a lot of time on Cruise Critic in between his cruises, so if you want to actually get some back and forth conversation going, right after one of his sailings is the time to do it.  The bonus is, since he takes 80 bajillion photos and since he is very busy back at his accounting job after the vacation, it takes him weeks to post a single review so you will have lots of chances to send him an encouraging word. 

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 12

I also really like @willdra. Dang, that girl has got it goin' on.  Willdra is the girl I would like to believe I am somewhere in an alternate universe.  She's the kind of girl I need to hang around with IRL so she can handle the room and charm the crap out of everyone around her, and I can sit quietly off to the side being a wallflower and just being absolutely delighted to watch her in action.  I would also be willing to run minor errands on her behalf. Because she is busy doing the things.  I also wish I could nap like her and her husband. I barely sleep at night, much less in between meals and workouts.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

So it occurs to me I should mention some of my mentors and idols here in CC board reviewland.  My very favorite reviewer is @harryfat1 who does not live review and in his own words,  was formerly known as CheapoDad (he gets solid value for his dollar which is what I like to do as well).  I think he's hilarious. He's an accountant so my guess is he's pretty Spock-like as I am.  He taught me the single most important lesson about cruising (and vacations in general).  Take the picture. When in doubt, take more pictures. Data is cheap, and you will never have the same chance to take the picture again. Even if you return to the same place someday (doubtful) things will be different and you will have lost the moment. 

Like myself, Harry doesn't always spend a lot of time on Cruise Critic in between his cruises, so if you want to actually get some back and forth conversation going, right after one of his sailings is the time to do it.  The bonus is, since he takes 80 bajillion photos and since he is very busy back at his accounting job after the vacation, it takes him weeks to post a single review so you will have lots of chances to send him an encouraging word. 

I'm going to check out some of his reviews - thanks for mentioning him!  

Interestingly enough (or maybe not), I'm also an accountant who likes to get the best bang for her buck!  I wish I could do reviews like you two, but I just don't have the gift of words like others do.  I love to read along though, so thanks for all you do!

Edited to add - thanks for all of the recommendations - I love reading trip reviews while waiting for my next cruise!

Edited by ski_mom
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ski_mom said:

I'm going to check out some of his reviews - thanks for mentioning him!  

Interestingly enough (or maybe not), I'm also an accountant who likes to get the best bang for her buck!  I wish I could do reviews like you two, but I just don't have the gift of words like others do.  I love to read along though, so thanks for all you do!

Edited to add - thanks for all of the recommendations - I love reading trip reviews while waiting for my next cruise!

He just finished one up. He started posting in January and was active on the thread until mid-April.  I appreciated this review as it was on Odyssey of the Seas, a Quantum class ship like Ovation, so he not only entertained me with his usual brand of himselfness but also gave me a fair amount of usable Quantum details. 

I think it's interesting you are an accountant.  All those numbers would eventually make my head spin but I am grateful you do what  you do.  I can handle like, minor bookkeeping and my taxes as long as nothing weird is going on with them.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since this may be my last cruise for a while, and therefore my last review, a word on my little logo over there. I made it a while back because it just seemed like more fun than a photo of myself. I prefer to be mostly incognito onboard ship. Mysterious Kmom, skulking around anonymously, capturing some random cruise sailing for all posterity.

I decided to use the semaphore flag for K. Considering visual arts and crafts are NOT MY THING (I have hardly anything on my walls and I hate hassling around with seasonal decorating), it's a pretty solid effort by my mediocre standards. 

If I have any talent whatsoever, it's my words.  That's all. I have one of those internal dialogues, and a very active one. I would assume if the activity level could be tested, that mine is in like, the top 1/10th of a percent of humanity. This is not a good thing. The voices almost NEVER stop. 

• Like 13

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Apparently my Mardi Gras review and anything older has been purged. 

Ok, I saw someone found earlier reviews. Yay!!

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Since this may be my last cruise for a while, and therefore my last review, a word on my little logo over there. I made it a while back because it just seemed like more fun than a photo of myself. I prefer to be mostly incognito onboard ship. Mysterious Kmom, skulking around anonymously, capturing some random cruise sailing for all posterity.

I decided to use the semaphore flag for K. Considering visual arts and crafts are NOT MY THING (I have hardly anything on my walls and I hate hassling around with seasonal decorating), it's a pretty solid effort by my mediocre standards. 

If I have any talent whatsoever, it's my words.  That's all. I have one of those internal dialogues, and a very active one. I would assume if the activity level could be tested, that mine is in like, the top 1/10th of a percent of humanity. This is not a good thing. The voices almost NEVER stop. 

Since this will be a possible last  review for you, I hope you will join me on my LIVE land review of our trip to Japan!! CC said I could post it in Asia Ports of Call. I’ll post a link in my last LIVE reviews last week of June.👍😁😻

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1