Celebrity removes loungers from balcony?

Before reading this thread, just booked (late, I know) the November TA on Constellation.  We used to love to cruise in those corner FV cabins, which have since been reclassified to Sunset Suites.  My recollection of the balconies is that they were about 24 feet long.  1/3 total shade, 1/3 partial shade, 1/3 open sky.  Wonderful.  We booked one for 'our kids'. 

We booked a RS for ourselves, and those have a great deal of balcony space as well - something on the order of 10x20' if memory serves.  We're talking a 16 night TA cruise, the majority of which will be enjoying those relaxing at-sea days that we look forward to on these itineraries.  Falling asleep on a lounger while 'reading' (the same page, about six times) is an essential part of the experience.

If there are no loungers on these balconies, and if none are forthcoming upon request, there will be an experiment performed to see how difficult it is to transport them, one at a time, from the pool deck to decks 6 and 7 in the aft elevator bank.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, voyager1964 said:

Our RCCL ancestors called this procedure "midnight requisition" 🙂

Stealth is vastly overrated.  I'd think making the run between 12~1pm would serve better to make the point! 🤪

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, canderson said:

Before reading this thread, just booked (late, I know) the November TA on Constellation.  We used to love to cruise in those corner FV cabins, which have since been reclassified to Sunset Suites.  My recollection of the balconies is that they were about 24 feet long.  1/3 total shade, 1/3 partial shade, 1/3 open sky.  Wonderful.  We booked one for 'our kids'. 

We booked a RS for ourselves, and those have a great deal of balcony space as well - something on the order of 10x20' if memory serves.  We're talking a 16 night TA cruise, the majority of which will be enjoying those relaxing at-sea days that we look forward to on these itineraries.  Falling asleep on a lounger while 'reading' (the same page, about six times) is an essential part of the experience.

If there are no loungers on these balconies, and if none are forthcoming upon request, there will be an experiment performed to see how difficult it is to transport them, one at a time, from the pool deck to decks 6 and 7 in the aft elevator bank.

It’s a shame if the loungers are removed. A bigger shame though that the FVs have been converted to suites. 

IMG_4396.thumb.jpeg.592b6dfdb84a51397bc4526c7c948dc9.jpegConstellation FV 8166. Oct 2022 TA.  

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, canderson said:

You better believe that others will be doing this as well. 

I suspect they will start charging for premium amenities like padded loungers 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mickeysgal said:

You better believe that others will be doing this as well. 

I suspect they will start charging for premium amenities like padded loungers 

Those booking the SV's are already paying a premium. 💵 💵 💵

The loungers (padded or not) shouldn’t be extra.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Those booking the SV's are already paying a premium. 💵 💵 💵

The loungers (padded or not) shouldn’t be extra.

You’re absolutely right. 
But that may not stop them . 
Then we will see how much of a safety issue it really is.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mahdnc said:

It’s a shame if the loungers are removed. A bigger shame though that the FVs have been converted to suites.

It took Celebrity a couple of decades to finally realize what most of us had known for years -- the FV was the best value in terms of space and location available on a Celebrity ship.  I remember that they would occasionally run up an "FV Guarantee".  I never booked one for fear that I might get upgraded to a Sky Suite - assured to be less space, and not in as nice a location!

In line with others who have posted in this thread, I received a call from the Executive Office confirming that sun loungers and reclining chairs are being removed from all verandas, including from the premium suites, although I find it hard to believe that the people paying a significant premium for the most desirable cabins will also be penalised. The person who phoned reiterated that it is for reasons of safety but would not provide any details. My own suspicion is that the bean counters have decided that having the doll's house furniture across the fleet in order to provide economy of scale is the real reason. Hard to believe that Celebrity will antagonise its premium customers in order to achieve the aim. I wonder will this become “Chair Gate” and result in a policy reversal or have they done their homework and worked out that the initial loss of a few customers will be compensated for by the overall saving and the gradual inclusion of new passengers who won’t miss what they never had. The bulk of the cabins on e-class ships don’t have verandas and the extra space provided by the IV design barely provides room for the reduced size furniture so I imagine this is a concerted push to wean passengers off standard size veranda furniture. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Definitas said:

"...overall saving and the gradual inclusion of new passengers who won’t miss what they never had."

This thinking seems to be in play on multiple cruise lines.

Just canceled 3 upcoming Celebrity cruises in a suites. Haven’t liked the changes celebrity has been making and this was just the last thing that made me decide that what they offer now for the suites doesn’t justify the prices they are charging. Trying out a few real “luxury” lines for not much more and/or very close in pricing. 
IMHO Celebrity’s new CEO is making many wrong decisions. But I’m not the CEO. From my discussion with staff onboard recently Celebrity is trying to appeal to a new crowd and become more “Royal”. It seems as if they are tired of existing customer base and finding a new base willing to pay more for less. If it works good for them. However this reminds me a lot of what recently happened with Disney. A new CEO came in and raised the prices on everything. Well for a while it worked everything was consistently packed and they made a ton of money. Eventually the old CEO is back

On 6/6/2024 at 10:04 PM, voyager1964 said:

There is no need to reinvent the wheel, really. Happy reading 🙂

and

Not sure what your point is.  Apparently at one time Royal had fire safety issues also based on your postings.  But now they do have footstools on their balconies (not sure about loungers) - at least I saw them on Icon a few months ago.  Same cruise line owners; likely same insurance company.

2 minutes ago, Salf777 said:

Just canceled 3 upcoming Celebrity cruises in a suites. Haven’t liked the changes celebrity has been making and this was just the last thing that made me decide that what they offer now for the suites doesn’t justify the prices they are charging. Trying out a few real “luxury” lines for not much more and/or very close in pricing. 
IMHO Celebrity’s new CEO is making many wrong decisions. But I’m not the CEO. From my discussion with staff onboard recently Celebrity is trying to appeal to a new crowd and become more “Royal”. It seems as if they are tired of existing customer base and finding a new base willing to pay more for less. If it works good for them. However this reminds me a lot of what recently happened with Disney. A new CEO came in and raised the prices on everything. Well for a while it worked everything was consistently packed and they made a ton of money. Eventually the old CEO is back

I hope you will consider writing a letter/email to the CEO advising them of what the impact was to you.  They need to keep hearing this.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canderson said:

It took Celebrity a couple of decades to finally realize what most of us had known for years -- the FV was the best value in terms of space and location available on a Celebrity ship.  I remember that they would occasionally run up an "FV Guarantee".  I never booked one for fear that I might get upgraded to a Sky Suite - assured to be less space, and not in as nice a location!

I remember in the very early days, these were just considered regular balcony cabins!  We sailed in them a number of times,  Then they became FV's which you could only book with at least 4 people I think it was (until right before sailing if they were available).  And now Sky Suites.  Money grab after money grab.  Same reason many of the less desirably located balcony rooms suddenly became Aqua Class so people would pay more and actually book them to get Blu and spa access.  Similar thing that recently happened to create Aqua Sky suites - they are in the best locations compared to being under the buffet in regular Sky Suites, so make them Aqua so you can charge a lot more.  Ugh!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Salf777 said:

Yes she does seem to be listening to bad suggestions, implementing them, and then reversing those decisions back to what it used to be.

she needs to better and more thoroughly assess and say no to these bad ideas

I’ve received a generic reply. I then replied back stating I was sailing Regent in upcoming months and I would have a lounger and comfortable balcony furniture. I said they could perhaps contact other lines to see how they dealt with balcony furniture safety issues. 

If you’ve booked a balcony especially on E class then you’ve paid a massive premium for an SV or a suite. What’s the point if the furniture isn’t comfortable. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Yes she does seem to be listening to bad suggestions, implementing them, and then reversing those decisions back to what it used to be.

she needs to better and more thoroughly assess and say no to these bad ideas

Or get better advisors if she’s unable or unwilling to do the research herself. 

32 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Or get better advisors if she’s unable or unwilling to do the research herself. 

I believe that they are appealing to the mass market right now, not the vocal minority here on CC.  If you read FB posts about Celebrity, overall they are firing on all cylinders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jezo said:

Loungers are alive and well on the aft balconies on the Beyond.  

PXL_20240609_105321043.thumb.jpg.5bb8cfbf69175ef61529343176ec1a06.jpg

Unfortunately it isn’t consistent. 

Holding off booking Constellation's cruise to NOLA at Mardi Gras.  I have fond memories of doing this same cruise on Reflection a few years back, sitting on a lounge chair, going up the mighty Mississippi.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liao said:

I believe that they are appealing to the mass market right now, not the vocal minority here on CC.  If you read FB posts about Celebrity, overall they are firing on all cylinders.

Interesting, didn’t realize the masses had a thing against loungers. I don’t check into FB as much as I used to.