Brand New to River Cruising.

We are new to river cruising.  We will be sailing down the Rhine in November 2025 on Ama Waterways.  We are doing it for the Christmas Markets.  I have celiac disease, and we concluded that it would be easier for me to cruise rather than a land-based trip.  We were told by a friend that it is better to go with a group of friends.  Since there isn't much to do in the evenings on the ship, a group can make their own fun.  😃

Any information or tips from experienced river cruisers is welcome.  I'm sure I have questions, I'm just not sure what they are yet.  😃

There is usually something on in the evening but you'll find that after the early starts and excursions you might not be up for much fun after dinner. We often enjoy the company of new dinner mates and carry on chatting upstairs in the lounge afterwards.

• Like 2

My wife and I were on a 2 week cruise by ourselves and were never bored. We socialized when we wanted, and kept to ourselves when we didn't. (We like Ama)

We did a Christmas Markets with a company we have less experience with, and so I can't really do a direct comparison, it seemed to me that with the Christmas Markets there were more evening activities, like extra time to go back to the Christmas Market in the evening after dinner where they might not have something normally scheduled.

Coincidently, did you see @notamermaid's post in "The ever increasing popularity of River Cruising"? Ama is working with Celiac Cruise to provide gluten free cruises.

https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/AmaWaterways-partner-celiac-cruise-gluten-free-cruises?ct=river

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

We are new to river cruising.  We will be sailing down the Rhine in November 2025 on Ama Waterways.  We are doing it for the Christmas Markets.  I have celiac disease, and we concluded that it would be easier for me to cruise rather than a land-based trip.  We were told by a friend that it is better to go with a group of friends.  Since there isn't much to do in the evenings on the ship, a group can make their own fun.  😃

Any information or tips from experienced river cruisers is welcome.  I'm sure I have questions, I'm just not sure what they are yet.  😃

We have River Cruised alone - the two of us - and with groups as well.

We have never felt alone or with a lack of something to do or people to talk to when we were just travelling alone.

One of the bigger differences to us is that on an Ocean cruise we feel that we can be completely anonymous and stay to ourselves, where as on a River cruise you are going to meet and interact because for the most part dining is shared tables and everyone goes to the Lounge after dinner.

We find - and Viking is our preferred line - that in the Lounge especially you will meet people because when the lounge fills, there are not really any place for you to sit as a couple and not be part of a larger group.  If you come later to the lounge there may only be options to sit with four others that are already in a seating area.

You will LOVE the Christmas Markets!  

Make sure with your celiac disease that you contact the cruise line well in advance, and then my advice is that you meet with the Chef and Dining Manager on embarkation day and ensure that they are aware and that they are ready for you.  I know that there are "degrees" of celiac disease and if you cannot have any cross contamination, you will want to ensure that these instructions and preparations have been made for you.  Don't wait until you sit down for the first meal.  Then until you are familiar with the ordering method for you as a special diet, ensure that your server is also aware at the beginning of each meal.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

While we've never sailed with AMA, I've heard a lot of good about it. We have only cruised on our own, and have no problems meeting new friends. You will meet friends on tours, at meals etc. A lot of times, we've eaten breakfast, lunch and dinners with different passengers. As long as you are willing to "mix" you will be fine. There are times where you can be alone if you wish, but part of river sailing is the social aspect.

As to being Celiac, you should be able to notify AMA before boarding (I know with our line we are asked for dietary requirements when filling in all our contact info) and they should announce at the first meeting on the ship (usually during the briefing) that there is a meeting with the chef prior to dinner to go over the various requirements. I know Avalon (whom we sail with) is really good, as I'm sure AMA is as well. I was surprised to see Avalon preparing GF croissants for breakfast - a real treat for a fellow passenger. I would also suggest when checking in to mention it, and they will be able to let you know when to meet with the Chef.

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

One of the bigger differences to us is that on an Ocean cruise we feel that we can be completely anonymous and stay to ourselves, where as on a River cruise you are going to meet and interact because for the most part dining is shared tables and everyone goes to the Lounge after dinner.

Couldn't agree more.  It is very easy to be social on a river cruise--perhaps more so if you are not in a group.  I love the observation about ocean cruises--my wife and I go on a ship with 3000 other people and we are basically there to be by ourselves and are.  On a river cruise, the dining situation (tables mostly seat more than two, no reserved seating) mean that you meet other people.  We also found we made friends when we were just lounging around in the other public spaces.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Coincidently, did you see @notamermaid's post in "The ever increasing popularity of River Cruising"? Ama is working with Celiac Cruise to provide gluten free cruises.

https://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/AmaWaterways-partner-celiac-cruise-gluten-free-cruises?ct=river

I did see this.  This is what led me to Ama Waterways in the first place.  I would love to do a Celiac cruise.  My daughter and I would be in heaven.  ❤️ 

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We have River Cruised alone - the two of us - and with groups as well.

We have never felt alone or with a lack of something to do or people to talk to when we were just travelling alone.

There will be 6 of us in our group.  We had originally planned on the 6 of us doing a land tour of the Christmas Markets.  After researching it, I knew I couldn't risk trying to eat G.F. in small towns.  

I will for sure make sure Ama is aware of my dietary restrictions.   My TA always makes sure it is in my reservation.  I also follow up with the cruise ship.  I will meet with dining & Kitchen when I get on the ship.  I can't afford not to... Especially in Europe.  Cross-contamination is very much a concern.  We went on vacation last summer and I was cross-contaminated 6 out of 9 days and that is with assurances from the restaurants.  I ended up in the emergency room with severe gastritis. and a bland diet for 5 weeks after.  Rice, Broth, Bananas, and Avocado.  

You will LOVE the Christmas Markets!  

Make sure with your celiac disease that you contact the cruise line well in advance, and then my advice is that you meet with the Chef and Dining Manager on embarkation day and ensure that they are aware and that they are ready for you.  I know that there are "degrees" of celiac disease and if you cannot have any cross contamination, you will want to ensure that these instructions and preparations have been made for you.  Don't wait until you sit down for the first meal.  Then until you are familiar with the ordering method for you as a special diet, ensure that your server is also aware at the beginning of each meal.

• Like 1

New question.  I have read that it is okay to bring bottles of wine on the ship from a port and then drink it.  Is that true on Ama?  Is there a corkage fee if it is opened at dinner or in the lounge?  What if we open it in our cabin?  Can we then take it to the lounge or in to dinner?

8 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

New question.  I have read that it is okay to bring bottles of wine on the ship from a port and then drink it.  Is that true on Ama?  Is there a corkage fee if it is opened at dinner or in the lounge?  What if we open it in our cabin?  Can we then take it to the lounge or in to dinner?

Don't know for sure with AMA buy with Viking River or Ocean you can bring all the wine, beer, spirits you want on board.  They will open and pour for you with no corkage.  This is Viking however....

AMA people???

Posted (edited)

While I've done a few Ama cruises, bringing my own wine was never anything I needed to look in to 🙂

I did a google search and there is nothing on the Ama site itself.

It's a bit difficult since so many cruises talk about wine! But anyway, I did find a couple statements from peoples reviews (one was on CC somewhere). One stated that you can bring your own wine and open it in the room. The other added that you can bring your own wine to dinner. Since wine with dinner is included and not charged extra (unless you're picky I guess), they don't mind if you bring your own.

Don't see anything about bringing it to the lounge and drinking it there. But since wine in the lounge is not included, that might not be appreciated?

Anyway, sounds like you should be able to bring your own and enjoy it in your room at least. And since you were wondering about buying in a port, there is opportunity to confirm where they would prefer you enjoy it before you do. BTW, from other posts, I recall that you can definitely buy alcohol to take home and keep it in your cabin. They don't hold it for you. So based on that, I can't see how they'd care if you also drank it.

Edited by RobInMN
  • Like 1

AMA lets you freely bring wine onboard, and you may drink it in your cabin and at meals with no corkage fee.  They only frown on BYO in the lounge.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Can guests go off on their own excursions?  Can guests choose to stay on the ship one day and not do an excursion?  I understand that excursions through areas is the reason for taking river cruises, I am just curious. 😃

Edited by screwsmcernst

1 hour ago, screwsmcernst said:

Can guests go off on their own excursions?  Can guests choose to stay on the ship one day and not do an excursion?  I understand that excursions through areas is the reason for taking river cruises, I am just curious. 😃

Yes. Yes. 

• Like 1

Yes you can go off on your own excursion – but sometimes the ship moves during the day to pick up the excursion groups at a different port along your itinerary, and then you could be left stranded at the original port.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

You have good answers from @CPT Trips and @Host Jazzbeau but on a River cruise we never miss the opportunity to get off the ship even if we just want to tour the city alone.  

Most often we will take an included tour that is a city walking tour with a guide and then once we have our bearings we break off from the group and go our own way. (Always tell the guide that you are leaving the group)

There will be close to zero to do on the ship other than read a book because most all leave the ship when in port.

If you want to arrange your own excursions, be sure you 100% know the time the ship is leaving port to ensure that you are back in time, and our rule is to be back one hour before the recommended time to return to the ship.  The ship won't wait for you if you are not back on time and with private excursions you must manage this time part.

Oh, and as HostJazz said, sometimes the ship moves while you are on excursion and in my experience that is not part of the itinerary - not with Viking anyway - so you don't know when that will happen.  If you are on a ship sponsored excursion, then the bus picks you up at point A and delivers you back to point B later and the ship has moved.  If you are going on your own or on a private excursion you might have a shock when you return to the ship and it is not there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

NOTE it’s a really good idea that if you intend to disembark and spread your wings you double check with the reception team as to the location of your home from home when you hopefully intend to return. The Captain will not shoot off at a whim but will move your bedroom if it’s an already intended manoeuvre. Doing your own thing in a foreign country is an exciting experience as long as you know that you need to keep your home guys informed.

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

There will be close to zero to do on the ship other than read a book because most all leave the ship when in port.

That's what we did on our most recent cruise. We like reading.

As we are repeating cruises we are more frequently not taking excursions to places we've been before that involve a long coach ride or an early start

You probably won't be alone. We never were. Others also don't take excursions. If you don't take an excursion that leaves early you can enjoy a leisurely breakfast.

As to what to do on the boat when others have gone on an excursion, it depends on what the boat has, some have exercise rooms.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

sometimes the ship moves while you are on excursion and in my experience that is not part of the itinerary - not with Viking anyway

It's detailed in the Viking Daily delivered to one's room the night before, e.g.

image.png.69ac722a136ec9d67904f884abf307e2.png

But it is always wise to check with reception before leaving boat.

On the above, if you want to do Speyer on your own - such as go to the amazing Technical museum - check with the guide when & where the coaches depart from and ensure you get to that point. (in this case it's the Technical museum car park)

• Like 2

There is also a smaller relocation issue that can cause confusion:  the ship may change its docking location within the port during the day as the port authorities require.  So when you get back it may seem to be missing – look around and you will find it nearby (possibly hiding behind another ship if it has been 'rafted').  This is never announced in advance.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

This is true, but also sometimes nice.  For sure, we usually want to see the ports.  But, every once and a while it's nice just to chill out on board--read a book, take a nap, be a lazy bum.  One time four of us (me, wife, two grown sons) were on a Rhine cruise, with a day in Strasbourg. We all took the morning tour.  After lunch we were free for the afternoon.  Wife and one son went back into town.  Me and the other son basically napped and read on the top deck in the loungers.  All four of us were happy with our choices.  I've never actually skipped a tour to laze on the boat just because I would rather see these places--but one certainly could.

• Like 2

Going off on your own is certainly doable and we have done this several times on our current cruise.  

Independent touring definitely works better when you are port for at least 8 hours or more and even better on an overnight stop (or at least a late departure.)

I would recommend talking to your cruise director as they will let you know when it’s practical to venture out on your own.

Good luck!

• Like 1

While I can't say we've split off from a tour early, in Trier we left the ship early and walked to the Baths and the Amphitheater on our own and then caught up with the walking portion of a bus/walking tour. 🙂 

There have also been walking tours where the tour ended, and the tour guide gave the option of wandering on our own or following them back to the ship.

• Like 3

I do know that certain cruise lines cater and market to certain countries. I don't know if there's one that is truly multi-national and market equally to everyone. But there's others that have a lot more experience than I do.

I can help with AmaWaterways.

On the 3 Ama cruises we've done so far, I think everyone might have been from North America, if not specifically America, but not totally sure.

The Grand Circle cruise we did was the same.

I am not sure if these companies (or others) are exclusive to US and Canadian travelers or if that's just where they focus their marketing. It's possible that there are companies that only accept reservations from people with addresses in certain countries.

There's at least 1 that I've see referenced here more than once that is targeted to German travelers - where the primary operating language is German - but don't recall the name. They don't market to the US.

And I think I recently saw something mentioned about a Chinese company may be operating now? And I would assume they are all Chinese and operate in Chinese.

Interesting question. Look forward to see what others add.

• Like 1

Uniworld markets to the English-speaking world. When I sailed with them in 2010 and 2011 they provided separate daily news digests with news from Australia, Canada, the UK and the US respectively. Certainly at the time they had separate brochures for each of those countries. 

• Like 1