Grand Dutch Cafe

Does anyone know if the split pea soup is served everyday?  I've  seen other groups say in Alaska they run out on sea days.  Anyone experience this.  Hopefully, they just run out of sea days and not all the time.  Thanks, we are so excited for our first Alaska cruise.

36 minutes ago, afdds said:

Does anyone know if the split pea soup is served everyday?  I've  seen other groups say in Alaska they run out on sea days.  Anyone experience this.  Hopefully, they just run out of sea days and not all the time.  Thanks, we are so excited for our first Alaska cruise.

It is served every day in GDC.

This was my lunch one random day on K'dam

20240203_020303.thumb.jpg.5f33e338b69461c136ca847f7fe4ed3f.jpg

This is from the Crow's Nest in Glacier Bay - no shortage that day (the people next to me each had 3 cups).

20230502_103310.thumb.jpg.fa28d24f6ef85e9c0e48dc3be8d2bf71.jpg

Enjoy!!

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2024 at 4:36 AM, afdds said:

When they run out, IME, they just make another batch unless it is late in the evening

4 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:
5 hours ago, seapad said:

I assume the regular coffee at the GDC is no charge? 

No, there is a charge for all coffees at GDC. They make each one individually.

I frequently saw officers standing in line for the coffee!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I frequently saw officers standing in line for the coffee!

Same! They are definitely regulars.  I particularly like the "1873 Rotterdam" coffee on board.

• Like 3

On 5/22/2024 at 5:33 PM, Haljo1935 said:

Good to know they're open for embarkation lunch; now that MDR is closed, I'll go there instead 😋 

I have been known to go by GDC on the way dinner to grab a couple chocolate chip "dinner plates" for later as they stop serving them around 8pm.

Mdr is not open for Embarkation day lunch??  We have always eaten there for a relaxing lunch once we board.  

16 minutes ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

Mdr is not open for Embarkation day lunch??  We have always eaten there for a relaxing lunch once we board.  

Sadly, no - a recent fleetwide change that MDR is no longer serving lunch on embarkation day.

6 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Sadly, no - a recent fleetwide change that MDR is no longer serving lunch on embarkation day.

Thanks for sharing the information.  I am very sorry to hear that lunch in the mdr is no longer available on embarkation day.  We always enjoyed a relaxing meal there when we boarded our cruise.  The buffet is always crazy - busy that first afternoon.  We will try to get a bowl of pea soup and a grilled cheese sandwich at the Grand Dutch Cafe.  I would imagine lots of other people will have the same idea.  Maybe they will open Club Orange for lunch on Embarkation day? That would be a plus.  We really like it there.  

Posted (edited)

I agree that embarkation day lunch in the MDR used to be "relaxing" - but in recent years I found it a bit too relaxing! Meaning it could take over an hour to complete a meal, and I guess in my old age I'm getting antsy and want to be out and about on deck or unpacking... anyway, I digress.  About GDC - Now I have lunch there on embarkation day (if on one of the ships that has it, obviously) and it's Pea Soup or course, and by new embarkations "drink" is ADVOCAT!!! I encourage everyone to order this amazing "egg brandy" - it's like alcoholic pudding and sooooo good!  (Be sure to ask for whipped cream on top).  Sigh... I want to book a pinnacle class cruise right now just for the Advocat!  Apparently you can only buy it in European liquor stores.  At least where I live in the US they just look at you funny...

Edited by Moriah

54 minutes ago, Moriah said:

new embarkations "drink" is ADVOCAT!

Have one on me!  

shopping.webp.3e5e2cb9041b714ce80dc7e1cf148efd.webp

There was a fashion here some years ago for a glass of Advocaat with white lemomade (pop) fizzed into it to make a 'snowball'.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 11:12 AM, Niagarawine said:

If they have them try the elephant ears. They are highly addictive with a latte

What, pray tell, are elephant ears?

10 minutes ago, wandb said:

What, pray tell, are elephant ears?

Elephant ears are a French pastry also known as palmiers, puff pastry cut and rolled to look like ears ,then sprinkled with sugar. I can’t leave them alone

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

Elephant ears are a French pastry also known as palmiers, puff pastry cut and rolled to look like ears ,then sprinkled with sugar. I can’t leave them alone

Thank you.  Sounds great. I’ll have to try them next month!

3 hours ago, Niagarawine said:

Sounds like a perfect pairing with an espresso or cappuccino.

1 hour ago, SeeSun&Sea said:

But they are only available after 11am. Alas!

I don't be holden with Italian tradition!  LOL.  I be drinking coffee like an addict!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2