How is the lobster?

Do they still serve lobster for free one night? Is it with steak? I'm new to princess. I had lobster on royal caribbean but it was small and no steak with it. Just curious what princess does and if its any good. Sorry if this is a repeat topic. You probably get this question a lot!

Yes, still served in the MDR on one of the formal nights. The tails are fairly small, but usually they are good. I believe they are charging now for extra servings.

My DH is a commercial lobster fisherman, so I'm rather spoiled, but what they serve is fine, nothing special. You will find larger tails and better quality in the specialty restaurants onboard like The Catch and Crown Grill. Still not as good as what I get at home straight from the Pacific Ocean, but pleasant enough if you like lobster.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks karatemom2. Do you know what your husband thinks of Prince Edward Island lobster? I've been thinking of signing up for a lunch there. Reviews say people like the lobster, but not sure if its worth it since i have lobster in the mdr. I'm also wondering if anyone knows where the lobster on princess comes from. It would be nice to have maritimes or maine lobster.

Edited by latebuyer

7 minutes ago, negn said:

Can also order some n the MDR and pay extra

When it is on the menu you can order a second tail for a fee. The first serving is no charge

• Like 1

On a 16 day voyage on the Royal a couple of weeks ago, we had lobster twice. Once on the second formal night and then again as surf & turf on last formal night.  Or it may have been on the 2nd Alaska segment (lost track.)

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Do they still serve lobster for free one night?

Is it with steak? 

Yes. Tails were small but good on our 27 March 2024 Enchanted cruise. 

Yes. Surf n Turf. Ours was lobster and beef tenderloin. 27 March 2024 Enchanted cruise. 

Edited by doghog

42 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks karatemom2. Do you know what your husband thinks of Prince Edward Island lobster? I've been thinking of signing up for a lunch there. Reviews say people like the lobster, but not sure if its worth it since i have lobster in the mdr. I'm also wondering if anyone knows where the lobster on princess comes from. It would be nice to have maritimes or maine lobster.

Any lobster you get fresh in port in places like Maine or PEI will be better than the lobster served onboard. You might want to try a lobster roll for lunch while you are in PEI or any New England port - very delicious! 

I don't know where Princess sources its lobster but it will be frozen, not fresh, and they are not your typical Maine lobster with the big tails. More along the lines of langostino size. Still not saying it isn't good - but not as good as fresh lobster. All seafood tends to taste better when it is freshly prepared within a short time from being caught.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks everyone! I’m looking forward to my free lobster. Thanks karatemom2. I’m in portland oct 8 and i believe lobster will still be in season?

Lobsters are harvested year round in Maine, with peak season tending to be through the latter half of year so you will be fine. Fall colors and lobster - lucky you!

• Like 1

Well, it's been awhile, but the all the lobster I have eaten on Princess in the last 10 years or so has been small, dry and tasteless.  Maybe they have improved?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kay S said:

Well, it's been awhile, but the all the lobster I have eaten on Princess in the last 10 years or so has been small, dry and tasteless.  Maybe they have improved?

I second that. Small, dry and tasteless sums it up. 

6 hours ago, Kay S said:

Yes, but as an excuse to eat melted butter, they excellent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The lobster served onboard is frozen Caribbean Spiny lobster (unless you specifically order at an extra price, if available). The lobster in New England will be a fresh caught Maine lobster. There is no comparison.

• Like 2

Thanks! I feel i definitely should get lobster then in maritimes or maine. I am aware peoples reaction to lobster is subjective. I really liked my royal caribbean lobster and my mom hated it.

Give me crab over lobster any day.

A simply steamed crab, on a plate, unadorned, with shell crackers.

Yum.

Oh, and a good beer to wash it down.

• Like 1

Lobster on cruise ships are spiny lobster, not northern lobster (Homarus americanus), it is frozen, and it is broiled.  Broiling is fine if you watch it carefully, and don't overcook it, but on the ships it is done in ovens with 10 baking racks with a hundred or so lobsters at a time.  I don't bother with it, Maine lobster selling for $6.99/lb this weekend for me to bring home and steam a few.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks! I feel i definitely should get lobster then in maritimes or maine. I am aware peoples reaction to lobster is subjective. I really liked my royal caribbean lobster and my mom hated it.

If you decide to go for a lobster roll, see if the place will do it for you with butter instead of mayo.  The butter is so much better and doesn't overwhelm like the mayo does.  Even better than butter is a squeeze of lemon.

3 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

If you decide to go for a lobster roll, see if the place will do it for you with butter instead of mayo.  The butter is so much better and doesn't overwhelm like the mayo does.  Even better than butter is a squeeze of lemon.

Probably will not find that in Maine.

3 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Probably will not find that in Maine.

Yes you can. We always get a lobster roll at the Portland Lobster Company. We always get ours with the drawn butter and lemon. 

• Thanks 1