Does the need to be quick off the mark to book dining and entertainment put you off

2 minutes ago, Andy24v said:

Went on Arvia for 14 nights last year. We pre booked a couple of speciality restaurants, and thought it would be OK to book the rest on board.

The reality was, in order to get a seat in an "included" restaurant, we had to do the "18:30 lottery" on the App. A bit like phoning the doctors at 8 o'clock to try to get an emergency appointment. 

The frustrating thing was, the only indication of wait time was queue length. We usually managed to get in at about 20 in the queue, but wait times varied from 20 to 90 mins. This made it impossible to book an 8:30 show unless we booked an extra cost venue, or ate at 17:30.

IMO, the app is a fig leaf to cover up the fact that there are not enough spaces in the included restaurants, by encouraging people to pay for speciality.

Omg this is stressing me out already!  So I should be booking now for the MDR even at a time I don’t want to go?

3 minutes ago, Andy24v said:

No, you can book up to 17:45 in advance as it's not a popular time. Booking for later dining opens at 18:30 on the day.

Phew!  Thank you for telling me that 😊

Surely one of the great things about a holiday is that you can relax as you are not tied to a strict timetable, governed by electronic gadgets or forced to queue for lengthy periods ? 

P&O (and other cruise lines) don’t seem to have got the message here. It all sound a little “ boot-campy”. 

Are they short staffed or do they allow too many full-occupancy cabins ( ie sofa bed and bunk bed sleepers in what was no doubt intended to be a 2 person cabin) ?

• Like 2

Is this MDR booking on all P&O ships ?

We haven't been with P&O for a few years.  We were due to go on Aurora last November but had to cancel and moved it to November this year but I want a stress free time on holiday.  I don't mind having fixed dining but we usually have freedom dining on Princess so that if we are a little late getting back on board after a port day we can just stroll to the MDR and join a usually short queue to get in.

It's one day in, the best times (7.00 to7.30) in Epicurean have gone for every day, and some days have only very early before 6.30  and very late after 8.30 left.  Similar in other restaurants. 

The loosers are those that are busy on the day it opens, those not tech savvy or that want to use OBC, especially those that don't drink much but like to spend OBC on dining. 

The big winner is P&O who get money upfront. 

Booking entertainment looks pretty open.

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

If I go to a land based restaurant I'm given an approximate wait time, if I take a pager I'm given an approximate wait time, if I'm visiting WDW or Thorpe Park I'm given an approximate wait time.  Why do you think it's impossible to do that via a proper app?

I'm currently on Queen Anne and I'm using the app which is identical to P&O's.  I'm not against the idea of the app but it isn't sophisticated enough, others do it better.  

Not everyone wants to go and sit in a bar they might prefer to do something else while waiting.  A rough estimate of time would be helpful in that decision.  There are those who have joined the app queues never to get called - plenty of reports of that here on the board.

You had the queues on Princess and have experienced what a very large number of us had on Arvia. We didn't make it up, it happened no more than we expressed surprise at your experience.  If it's improved great  but the P&O reviews tend to indicate they are not there yet.

I'm not against the app at all but in some respects it's useless because there are walk ups too.  We had it on Britannia, two separate queues yet app users had no idea when of if they'd get in - breakfast could be mayhem!

Just taking you up on the estimated waiting time MB, the app does give an idea by quoting the number of passengers currently in the virtual queue, which would be a far better indicator, if in fact everyone used the app.

However because there are so many passengers unwilling to use the app, and probably many more who prefer to just walk up and chance it, no computer system could be designed to cater for those variables.

As for first night queues, other than the fact that it is the first night, and even experienced cruisers don't know what to expect, I really don't know. However I do think that even the first night would run much smoother if everyone used the virtual queue.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We haven't been with P&O for a few years.  We were due to go on Aurora last November but had to cancel and moved it to November this year but I want a stress free time on holiday.  I don't mind having fixed dining but we usually have freedom dining on Princess so that if we are a little late getting back on board after a port day we can just stroll to the MDR and join a usually short queue to get in.

Not on Aurora, only for the new bigger ships.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Just taking you up on the estimated waiting time MB, the app does give an idea by quoting the number of passengers currently in the virtual queue, which would be a far better indicator, if in fact everyone used the app.

However because there are so many passengers unwilling to use the app, and probably many more who prefer to just walk up and chance it, no computer system could be designed to cater for those variables.

As for first night queues, other than the fact that it is the first night, and even experienced cruisers don't know what to expect, I really don't know. However I do think that even the first night would run much smoother if everyone used the virtual queue.

There may well be people unwilling to use the app but there are also a lot of people who do not have smart phones, so therefore unable to join a virtual queue. I have had enough of computers and apps, I want to relax on holiday and chose how I want to do things. We are all different and have to accept that what suits one is not going to suit another.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Arvia has two main dining rooms plus Olive Grove and the diner, unless someone has changed somei don't know about?  

I use the technology  in fact I'm using it on another line as we speak but frankly technology that's a half way house and doesn't tell me how long they queue I'm joining is is probably as good as a chocolate teapot. 

What's actually the point of this post please? If you're telling me something is different 11 months ago about how the dining room set up is fine but otherwise I'm rather at a loss

On Arvia we booked some restaurants on line before the cruise and some on board. Same with entertainment.  On a 14 night cruise we only ate in the MDR 3 times. Join queue at 6.00, pinged at 7.30. If we wanted to eat before 6.00 we could book. We booked some things on board with the app, on the day. Including 710. The app worked fine and the booking system was fine. As good as the old days ?....we don't live there anymore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I think that the original question was not about the app more about lack of availability of bookings after release?  My good friend ICF loves the app and appears to believe I will not/do not use it.  Whilst true I generally avoid it on P&O ships, I'm quite happy to use it.  The difference is that Arvia and Iona are awash with things you have to book whereas Britannia and down are not. My one and only experience on Arvia told me that booking before departure was essential to get into any pay restaurant, the diner or Olive Grove as using the app could well mean a wait of an hour or more.  I appreciate things may have changed and Iona could be different.  

You need to remember I'm often travelling solo so would not want to sit in a bar for an hour or more wondering if I'm going to get called. On one occasion I put myself in the queue for the Glass House for dinner and after 1 hour 20 minutes hot the message the queue was full, I'd been no.8 in the queue. The result was I had to go elsewhere to eat but what a chronic waste of my time sitting around in the Atrium waiting for Godot.

I used the app both on Arvia and Britannia for breakfast and it was fine, however it became apparent on Britannia that the turn up queue- separate entrance - gained more or less immediate access compared to app bookings so we abandoned use of the app.

I'm actually not averse to the app.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, zap99 said:

On Arvia we booked some restaurants on line before the cruise and some on board. Same with entertainment.  On a 14 night cruise we only ate in the MDR 3 times. Join queue at 6.00, pinged at 7.30. If we wanted to eat before 6.00 we could book. We booked some things on board with the app, on the day. Including 710. The app worked fine and the booking system was fine. As good as the old days ?....we don't live there anymore.

That's where we differ.  I would not like joining a queue at 6.00pm to wait an hour and a half or more. I'd like a proper estimate, ie if I knew the time for dinner was limited to 90 minutes I could make an informed decision.  I booked all my dining on Arvia the second it was released as I'm happy to eat early.  However it's nothing to do with not living in the good old days but I do think of others having difficulties and do not like to witness obvious distress that some were being caused by not being able to get into restaurants.  If there's 5,200 onboard the majority can't book in advance.

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I think that the original question was not about the app more about lack of availability of bookings after release?  My good friend ICF loves the app and appears to believe I will not/do not use it.  Whilst true I generally avoid it on P&O ships, I'm quite happy to use it.  The difference is that Arvia and Iona are awash with things you have to book whereas Britannia and down are not. My one and only experience on Arvia told me that booking before departure was essential to get into any pay restaurant, the diner or Olive Grove as using the app could well mean a wait of an hour or more.  I appreciate things may have changed and Iona could be different.  

You need to remember I'm often travelling solo so would not want to sit in a bar for an hour or more wondering if I'm going to get called. On one occasion I put myself in the queue for the Glass House for dinner and after 1 hour 20 minutes hot the message the queue was full, I'd been no.8 in the queue. The result was I had to go elsewhere to eat but what a chronic waste of my time sitting around in the Atrium waiting for Godot.

I used the app both on Arvia and Britannia for breakfast and it was fine, however it became apparent on Britannia that the turn up queue- separate entrance - gained more or less immediate access compared to app bookings so we abandoned use of the app.

I'm actually not averse to the app.

Your final comment about the just turn up queue for the MDR is very true, and IMO is the main reason the virtual queue fails to work as efficiently as it should. If, as seems to be proving true, some passengers are not prepared to use the app, or don't have a smart phone. Then P&O need to add a booking feature to the in cabin TV system, which enables passengers to book an MDR slot, and to monitor its progress, but of course that will only work if you stay in your cabin until the table is available, which I guess will p**s off quite a few people.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Your final comment about the just turn up queue for the MDR is very true, and IMO is the main reason the virtual queue fails to work as efficiently as it should. If, as seems to be proving true, some passengers are not prepared to use the app, or don't have a smart phone. Then P&O need to add a booking feature to the in cabin TV system, which enables passengers to book an MDR slot, and to monitor its progress, but of course that will only work if you stay in your cabin until the table is available, which I guess will p**s off quite a few people.

I believe it's the size of the ships and number of venues that are making things difficult.  I'm here on Queen Anne, the only thing I'm compelled to book by app is the Bright Lights Society - the equivalent of I'd say 710 Club.  The 9.15 shows book up of the morning but the availability for the other days is still there.  

I experimented with an app bookings this morning, it was instant. How when I arrived at breakfast the desk said, no ignore that just come along! The only breakfast queue was day one, about 5 minutes.

I did use the app on QM2 last year, it was equally a mess.  Cunard staff however adapted to the circumstances and overrode it. P&O's staff do not seem to have enough tables to overcome build up and people do seem to miss out as a result. 

I still believe volume and capacity is most of the problem and on the two big ships the 90 minute table turn should be strictly adhered to.

Edited by Megabear2

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

They still have walk in queues. 

Alternatively you can use the app and join a virtual queue and just head to the table when it's ready

Like the old way where they gave you a buzzer 

But without having to go and get the buzzer

I would join queues for MDR either when we were in the cabin getting ready, in 710 club, in a cocktail bar or in the theatre near the end of the show for example

I personally prefer that to queueing

But you can still queue if you prefer

They have a special queue for walk ups

And then those with bookings head to the other side

• Like 1

All of this strengthens my resolve not to sail on the bigger ships. We've cruised five times with P&O, four times on Britannia and once on Azura. Even the last cruise on Britannia, a ship we absolutely loved, we noticed that dining had become much more chaotic. To the point we probably won't sail on her again and it's hard to say that. However, our next cruise is on Aurora and it appears it's a much more relaxed experience.  We are very much looking forward to it. As others have said, a holiday should not require the level of planning that appears to be required on Arvia and Iona.

I should add that we must shoulder some of the responsibility for our last Britannia cruise. Being Scottish we forgot about the English school holidays and it was  a fourteen day Med cruise with a lot of kids aboard. While we have nothing against kids, it was very apparent that a lot of parents were willing to allow kids to roam freely and while most kids were OK, one group of teens in particular were very obnoxious in the first week.  (Not sure if their families were spoken to as didn't see them in week two).

In short, I think we'll avoid the mega ships and stick to the smaller ones in future. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

That's where we differ.  I would not like joining a queue at 6.00pm to wait an hour and a half or more. I'd like a proper estimate, ie if I knew the time for dinner was limited to 90 minutes I could make an informed decision.  I booked all my dining on Arvia the second it was released as I'm happy to eat early.  However it's nothing to do with not living in the good old days but I do think of others having difficulties and do not like to witness obvious distress that some were being caused by not being able to get into restaurants.  If there's 5,200 onboard the majority can't book in advance.

We tend to book the 10.30 shows, so aren't to bothered if we eat at 6.00, or 8.00. We won't go hungry. After we have got ready we pop down to the club house of somewhere until we are pinged. TBH, I don't get too concerned about folk who won't, or can't, or refuse....or..

So if I can book the MDR at 6.30pm, or rather join the virtual queue, does that mean I have to be ready to go to the MDR immediately or sit in a bar waiting for maybe an hour and a half?

I much prefer fixed dinging and know that my table will be waiting at 8.30pm - perhaps I've chosen the wrong ship 😐

52 minutes ago, cruise saint said:

However, our next cruise is on Aurora and it appears it's a much more relaxed experience. 

It’s much nicer to be able to just walk into the theatre when the notion takes you on Aurora.

I have to say that the freedom dining was not well organised and pagers were being issued every evening with sometimes lengthy waits. We moved to fixed dining which was excellent by comparison and improved our holiday as “freedom” was the freedom to hang about with a pager which only works in the areas near the restaurant so only a couple of the bars.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think the empty tables is more a reflection on the pre bookin system, where the staff need to leave tables empty to cater for bookings at a later time. Which with an average 2 hrs dining time results in lots of empty tables, and IMHO is a very wasteful way to run a mass catering dining room. 

No pre booking and the virtual queuing system each day, would be far more efficient, but may need a bigger galley and waiters working at MDR speed, rather than the Olive Grove saunter.

I asked whether the empty Olive Grove tables were booked and the lady said no. So I asked whether we could dine there and it was then that she said that the kitchen wouldn’t be able to cope - or words to that effect. 

• Like 2

Until 2020, I seem to recall that staff would come around the buffet asking whether guests would like to book the speciality restaurants, often with so-called special offers. It appears that they had to work hard to fill those restaurants. Why the change, I wonder?

We’re quite happy with the MDR and buffet most nights, and only booked speciality for the first time on Iona last year. Epicurean was OK, but not bothered about going again. Went to the Limelight on Iona and then Britannia and really enjoyed the singers, but wouldn’t pay extra just for the food. 

Megabear’s point about being a solo passenger and having a lengthy wait is important and reminds us that everyone’s situation is different. We were a little concerned that we would have to wait a while recently on Iona as we were a group of 8. Turned out to be the easiest dining ever. No app, just told to turn up at any time and there was always a table ready for us. As I said, when it’s just the two of us, we’re relaxed and on Iona would have been quite happy to use the Quays or the buffet. However when travelling with elderly parents, using the app without any real indication of waiting time would have been a pain as we always tried to eat around 7.30. We’re not drinkers and never have pre-dinner drinks so would prefer the buzzer for which they indicate the likely wait. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We flit between planning elements of our cruises and taking it day by day, but we do like to book our Speciality restaurants for a foodie treat. We would love to just turn up at the speciality restaurants on the evening without having booked in advance, but on the last few P&O cruises they were just too full and prebooking was the safest bet.

If the MDR food were better than canteen/budget pub food (we often find it vary between grim, joyless or functional) then we would happily dine just in the MDRs. We have found some similar cruise companies to be a step up with their MDR food, but for us it is the speciality restaurants on P&O make this no frills yet affordable cruise company a touch more special. 

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, grapau27 said:

On Iona in March Epicurean and Sindhu was never more than 70% full in the 13 nights we went in.

Beach house was full the night we dined in there.

I actually prefer pre-booking because of the online discount and loyalty discount  taken off and knowing if we have a later embarkation we are not panicking to get the times we want.

The downside is we are pulling out almost £500 pre-cruise for speciality dining which our large OBC would be used for this if booked onboard.

Graham.

They have never to my knowledge sold Epicurean and Sindhu to full capacity of the room on any of the shops.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruise saint said:

All of this strengthens my resolve not to sail on the bigger ships. We've cruised five times with P&O, four times on Britannia and once on Azura. Even the last cruise on Britannia, a ship we absolutely loved, we noticed that dining had become much more chaotic. To the point we probably won't sail on her again and it's hard to say that. However, our next cruise is on Aurora and it appears it's a much more relaxed experience.  We are very much looking forward to it. As others have said, a holiday should not require the level of planning that appears to be required on Arvia and Iona.

I should add that we must shoulder some of the responsibility for our last Britannia cruise. Being Scottish we forgot about the English school holidays and it was  a fourteen day Med cruise with a lot of kids aboard. While we have nothing against kids, it was very apparent that a lot of parents were willing to allow kids to roam freely and while most kids were OK, one group of teens in particular were very obnoxious in the first week.  (Not sure if their families were spoken to as didn't see them in week two).

In short, I think we'll avoid the mega ships and stick to the smaller ones in future. 

Don't believe all what you read on social media. We have sailed twice on At is and once on Io a in the last 12 months and never had any issues with queues or do I g bookings. Whether used virtual app or just turned up never seen queues of any length or more than 3-4 cold and only ever been given a buzzer once and even then only waited 10-15 minutes. Arvia did have teething  problems I totally with only having 2 official MDRs compared to Iona's 4 but that has been sorted. Use of Olive Grove as another MDR for breakfast and as an extension of MDR on Formal nights only in the evening.

• Like 2