Dress code?

sjde

In reading Cruise Critic’s  review of Celebrity Eclipse,  I was surprised to see that T-shirts , tank tops and flip-flops are not allowed in the main dining room at any time? 

And two evenings on a seven night cruise are “ chic “nights where men are supposed to have a sport coat. 

Is this strictly enforced? 

2 minutes ago, sjde said:

In reading Cruise Critic’s  review of Celebrity Eclipse,  I was surprised to see that T-shirts , tank tops and flip-flops are not allowed in the main dining room at any time? 

And two evenings on a seven night cruise are “ chic “nights where men are supposed to have a sport coat. 

Neither of the interpretations are correct.  Chic nite does not require a sport coat.

Posted (edited)

I have seen the restriction of Flip Flops, Tank Tops and Golf Hats in all restaurants for all meals.  The restrictions are strictly enforced but seems ok for women to wear the equivalent of a Tank Top while it is not OK for a man

While T-Shirts are listed I've never seen them restricted and often wear them at Lunch. 

Official Policy from Celebrity Site -

SHIPBOARD

Throughout the ship, casual resort wear, sundresses, shorts, polos, or button-downs are appropriate, paired with sandals, low heels, and loafers. Make sure you bring active wear and sneakers if you plan to hit the gym!

Poolside, bathing suits with coverups, T-shirts, tanks, hats, and sunglasses are welcomed. 

In main and specialty dining, we ask guests to refrain from wearing swimsuits, see-through coverups or robes, bare feet, tank tops, T-shirts, and baseball caps. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Yes, I have seen it enforced in dining rooms. 

Which, the no tank tops, etc., or the sport coat for chic nights?  Agree with the tank top enforcement in our experience, but never a sport coat on chic nights.  That is, at best, a suggestion.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

While T-Shirts are listed I've never seen them restricted and often wear them at Lunch.

It's the only type of shirt I ever wear during the day on Celebrity.

2 hours ago, sjde said:

I always wear shorts and T-shirts in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Not Against the suggest dress guidelines. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Which, the no tank tops, etc., or the sport coat for chic nights?  Agree with the tank top enforcement in our experience, but never a sport coat on chic nights.  That is, at best, a suggestion.

I have seen men turned away at dinner for wearing shorts. I have also seen a man told he had to change his shirt before entering Luminea ( suites dining room).  It was a sleeveless T-shirt.  Sport coat not needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The rules are VERY lax on embarkation day since many do not have their luggage yet.  Be prepared for some judgmental looks from other passengers if you are underdressed.  I usually take 1 button down shirt, black jeans or slacks - but I may only take polos, jeans and sneakers this trip. If I do, I'll eat VERY early on chic night to try to avoid those that care.

I contacted Celebrity via email in reference to my future cruise.  I asked specifically about polo, jeans, and nice walking shoes - to limit how many suitcases I needed to pay extra for on my flight. They (Customer Xperience Center) responded 2 days ago: 

Smart Casual attire is required for entry to main dining, specialty dining, and the Celebrity Theatre. Smart Casual means you look comfortable yet tasteful in a dress, skirt, long pants, or jean, and stylish top or button-down. Shorts and flip flops are not considered Smart Casual....

If you do not wish to participate in Evening Chic, Smart Casual attire is acceptable for dining and theater.

• Like 3

Recognize I'm interpreting their response as another passenger. I specifically asked about clean nice sneakers, jeans, and button/collared polo shirt.  They did not say any were an issue, but they didn't exactly answer the question with yes or no.  I think they are saying sneakers are okay but I'm holding onto the email in case they disagree onboard.  I can let you know for sure when I return - August.

Can't tell if your response was "Sneakers only, good" or "Sneakers only, darn."  If the latter, you may be happier on another cruise line if sneakers are too dressy and the buffet isn't okay with you. But I think this policy is similar on NCL also.  Not sure about other lines.  I doubt any of the other mid-premium tier cruise lines (Holland America & Princess) will be more lax. 

I'm trying to figure out how to do a Caribbean cruise with flops and only 1 other pair of shoes - that are highly walkable for my old feet.  The Celebrity buffets are supposed to be really good so I'd actually do that on chic night, but I feel like that's the night they'll serve lobster.

• Like 1

We always dress nice, but casual.  Usually avoid tee shirts, sneakers other than when ashore or during the day (not passing judgement) - basically anything we would feel comfortable but "appropriate" anywhere at home and have never had any issue.  I have not experienced any dress code concerns in the recent 10 years or so of cruising.

I think (nice) sneakers should be okay but I'd feel "safer" bringing more just in case!

I read in the same CruiseCritic review that the buffet tends to mirror what the MDR is serving that night. But not when it's lobster?

Only once did we run into a dress code problem. On Oceania my husband was turned away from a specialty restaurant with jeans on, not tattered ones or anything, and a nice button-down shirt and then they let someone with a sweatsuit in!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

I'm trying to figure out how to do a Caribbean cruise with flops and only 1 other pair of shoes - that are highly walkable for my old feet.  The Celebrity buffets are supposed to be really good so I'd actually do that on chic night, but I feel like that's the night they'll serve lobster.

On your latter point, lobster is the one thing I haven't seen in the buffet on any cruise line on any day. So I guess if you want it, you'll have to go to the MDR to get it - and be subject to their dress code. As you've found, it probably won't be that bad.

On your first point, I'm a guy who does mostly Caribbean cruises that doesn't pack ANY shoes for them - not even sandals or flip flops. I wear a pair of walking shoes and that's it. I initially didn't think it was unusual, but apparently I'm VERY unusual. 😜

Anyway, good luck with your traveling adventures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2024 at 4:59 PM, lv2cruisgrl said:

I have seen men turned away at dinner for wearing shorts. I have also seen a man told he had to change his shirt before entering Luminea ( suites dining room).  It was a sleeveless T-shirt.  Sport coat not needed.

This happened to my husband on the Connie. We just didn't pay attention.  He had dressier shorts on and was asked to change.  No problem- it was his fault for not paying attention- he ran back to the room and changed.

Daytime dress code allows shorts throughout the ship.  Smart Casual is for the evening in the main and specialty restaurants and the theatre.  You can also do Smart Casual on Evening Chic nights if you want.  Sneakers or walking shoes are fine any time of the day, even on Evening Chic nights.  I'd suggest black ones if you have them (they'll pair with most anything).

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/all-faqs#what-to-pack

See "What to Pack, What to Wear" section as well as the Dining Dress Code section.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2024 at 5:01 PM, leaveitallbehind said:

IMG_5881.jpeg

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 2:28 PM, sjde said:

Edit to add a disclaimer, I wrote my answer fully aware that the majority won't like it.  I'm simply pointing out "expectations vs reality".  I challenge anyone on their next sailing to look at every male guest in the dining venue to see if they can find someone not wearing a collar

The waitstaff doesn't care, the M'D team will usually let minor violations in but not major ones.  Probably not getting in wearing a rashgaurd, neon shorts, and flip flops.  Yet wear a nice dress shirt and all-black shorts?  Odds increase of getting in.  I have sailed 148 nights on X since the restart, most nights at the MDR or Blu.  Pretty much there's a dress code violated every dinner with it being easiest to see tops like T-shirts or rashguards as table clothes can hide those in shorts if they're already sitting.  Yet I have seen others in shorts, I've seen men get seated and then put on a baseball cap which remains on their head all dinner long.  I sent off all my pants for laundry service and didn't get them back for lobster/chic night.  I openly admit I intentionally broke the rules by wearing shorts so I could get lobster.  I will mention I did wear a nice button-down shirt and did my hair.  The asst M'D was manning the host stand and let us in with me wearing shorts.  Upon exiting, the regular M'D who just so happened to be in my path just said "Wear pants next time".  If he wasn't in my path, I probably wouldn't have heard a peep from the crew 

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

IMG_5881.jpeg

Not sure why you have quoted me with this response. My comment was not needing a confirmation of the dress code, but was in response to a comment indicating that one has seen a dress code enforced.  To which I was asking what they saw enforced.  To which they subsequently responded.

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not sure why you have quoted me with this response. My comment was not needing a confirmation of the dress code, but was in response to a comment indicating that one has seen a dress code enforced.  To which I was asking what they saw enforced.  To which they subsequently responded.

Not sure why you were quoted either. I just posted the excerpt demo FAQ & somehow it truncated the rest of my response 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, UnboredAboard said:

On a New England cruise we had lobster rolls in the buffet.

Were they dressed to code? Sorry, they were in the buffet so there is no Dress Code. LOL

On 5/26/2024 at 2:28 PM, sjde said:

Hope so..