hair dryer on princess ships

Anyone can share how powerful (fast drying) are the hair dryers on princess ships (more specifically Sapphire)? we usually shower right before sleep and would need fast drying hair dryers. the cheap ones in average hotel rooms usually don't work. I would love to pack my own but the suitcases are overflowing with winter gears, so I would like to see if this is somewhere to save some space. Thanks!

I use them but they are not very powerful and take longer than at home for my shoulder length hair.  But I deal with it, partly because I don't want to haul my own along and partly because I just air dry my hair quite often.  I also don't like that you have to hold the button down the whole time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depends on the ship. The newer Royal Class ships have a real blow dryer that is kept in the drawer of the bureau next to the desk. These work pretty well and are comparable to most standard blow dryers. I have medium length, somewhat thick hair and they work absolutely fine for me.

Some of the older ships, however, still have the version that basically is attached to the wall by the desk and is very weak at best. Not sure if the Sapphire replaced those in a recent retrofit, but I would try to get the information from someone who has been on the Sapphire recently.

Here is a link for a review from someone who just returned from a cruise on the Sapphire. You might pose your question here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The Sapphire and the other, in the greater sense, Grand Class ships use a model currently in production as the Jerdon First Class as of a year ago. A wall mount hair dryer rated at 1200W. Being a wall mount, use feels awkward, IMO. Find an image online.

Edited by mtnesterz

47 minutes ago, sharon_pei said:

Anyone can share how powerful (fast drying) are the hair dryers on princess ships (more specifically Sapphire)? we usually shower right before sleep and would need fast drying hair dryers. the cheap ones in average hotel rooms usually don't work. I would love to pack my own but the suitcases are overflowing with winter gears, so I would like to see if this is somewhere to save some space. Thanks!

Bring your own, Sapphire dryers are really weak. 

Posted (edited)

I used the one Princess provided on the Emerald once, and thereafter just went with air dry. Took about the same length of time, tho it was a warm climate cruise. 

Edited by Ellipooh

7 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Depends on the ship. The newer Royal Class ships have a real blow dryer that is kept in the drawer of the bureau next to the desk. These work pretty well and are comparable to most standard blow dryers. I have medium length, somewhat thick hair and they work absolutely fine for me.

Some of the older ships, however, still have the version that basically is attached to the wall by the desk and is very weak at best. Not sure if the Sapphire replaced those in a recent retrofit, but I would try to get the information from someone who has been on the Sapphire recently.

Here is a link for a review from someone who just returned from a cruise on the Sapphire. You might pose your question here:

I am the person.... hair dryer on Sapphire was the squarish wall-mounted kind. I never used it because I just let my hair air dry, but can't imagine it would have been very effective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't have a lot of hair left and my wife doesn't tend to use the in-room blow dryer (she doesn't take one of her own either). However, I definitely have used the blow dryer a couple of times. Of course I was using it after the *&$#&!! faucet in the bathroom splashed on the front of my suit pants.(Yes, I wasn't "vigilant" and it happened twice.) No way was I heading out on Formal Night wearing a suit with the front of my pants wet. Nope, nope, nope. The in-cabin blow dryer came to the rescue and I was able to dry the front of my pants before venturing out into the public areas. I will, however, verify that it has been a fairly pathetic stream of hot hair that issues from the dryer. If you have long, thick hair I would recommend taking a "real" blow drier with you if you want to have one that works well.

• Haha 1

Have never thought to pack a hairdryer in recent years but on our latest cruise (Coral) wished I had. Square, wall mounted hairdryer which was definitely not very powerful and quite noisy. Maybe a heated styling brush would have been useful.

Times change. I was never a blow drier user but I did used to have hair. These days, not so much... 🤪

m1 - 2.jpg

Michael.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

Times change. I was never a blow drier user but I did used to have hair. These days, not so much... 🤪

m1 - 2.jpg

Michael.jpg

Lol...mine was never quite that long but when we got married I cut it way back to become "more respectable"! 😀

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

m1 - 2.jpg

Michael.jpg

And I thought was just me who went from shoulder length hair to bald. These pictures look a lot like me as well

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Lol...mine was never quite that long but when we got married I cut it way back to become "more respectable"! 😀

I was married with two kids when that picture was taken. 😁

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

I don't have a lot of hair left and my wife doesn't tend to use the in-room blow dryer (she doesn't take one of her own either). However, I definitely have used the blow dryer a couple of times. Of course I was using it after the *&$#&!! faucet in the bathroom splashed on the front of my suit pants.(Yes, I wasn't "vigilant" and it happened twice.) No way was I heading out on Formal Night wearing a suit with the front of my pants wet. Nope, nope, nope. The in-cabin blow dryer came to the rescue and I was able to dry the front of my pants before venturing out into the public areas. I will, however, verify that it has been a fairly pathetic stream of hot hair that issues from the dryer. If you have long, thick hair I would recommend taking a "real" blow drier with you if you want to have one that works well.

Visions of Mr Bean (if you’ve seen that movie).

Mrs BV can air dry her short curly hair.  And it’s a good thing.  Neither of us could extract the blow dryer from its base on Caribbean Princess.