being considerate about keeping balcony open at night

When I first started cruising many years ago, I adored keeping the balcony door open so I could fall asleep listening to the sea.  Then newer ships had banked ac, so if you kept your door open, those around you lost their ac!  Recently I have read that you can open if you are in an IV cabin.  How about those of us in a sky suite on an Edge class ship?  Still a no-no to keep things open?

Posted (edited)

I would ask the room steward…I could see doing it in a cold climate possibly, I couldn’t take it in the Caribbean. It’s the humidity, not the heat that messes things up for me at night. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

We were in a MC Sky Suite and the passenger in the Concierge cabin next to us would leave the window open, even when out of the cabin.  The cabin attendant disliked going in there as it was so humid.  She asked the person to please close the window when out of the room, but that rarely happened.

As a result out cabin a/c did not work properly and we had water dripping from one the vents.  Maintenance came twice trying to adjust our system and did manage to stop most of the dripping wather.  

Next cruise we were in the same cabin, different passenger nextdoor, our a/c was fine, not dripping from the vent and we rarely saw the window open.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why people enjoy sleeping in a cabin that is wet and swampy but people do it on every cruise I've been on.  You can tell as soon as you hit a particular section of a hallway where the temp and humidity noticeably increase. 

• Like 3

Hey, everybody.  I was NOT asking if people enjoyed keeping their balcony door open at night!  I was asking those who HAVE been on an EDGE class ship if it was now ok to leave sky Suite doors open….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, msteries said:

Hey, everybody.  I was NOT asking if people enjoyed keeping their balcony door open at night!  I was asking those who HAVE been on an EDGE class ship if it was now ok to leave sky Suite doors open….

Sort of like a Presidential debate, you DON'T answer the question you are asked, but rather answer the "question" you want to focus on.  

Apparently, some folks like and some folks don't like their balcony doors being open. Go figure. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, msteries said:

Keeping the door open in a suite will have same result as keeping the window open on a IV.  A open door or window shuts down the a/c, it can get very humid and cabin(s) next to you could have the same problem we had in my post #3.

• Like 6

open balcony doors cause a whistling noise..all down the line to other cabins....very annoying and discouraged.  if you like to hear the sea..sit outside and close the balc door ( but don't get locked out!)

this has not changed..searching will disclose long history of posts..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hcat said:

open balcony doors cause a whistling noise..all down the line to other cabins....very annoying and discouraged.  if you like to hear the sea..sit outside and close the balc door ( but don't get locked out!)

this has not changed..searching will disclose long history of posts..

This applies to M and S class the OP was specifically asking about E class where opening the windows in all IV cabins shuts off the aircon and, it would appear from Post 7 above,  so does opening the balcony doors in suites.

13 minutes ago, jayoldschool said:

Just turn off your balcony light. lol

Thank you. Enjoy sitting out some nights on real balcony and seeing some stars. They should put balcony lights on a timer- no need to have them on unless somebody is reading.

21 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Thank you. Enjoy sitting out some nights on real balcony and seeing some stars. They should put balcony lights on a timer- no need to have them on unless somebody is reading.

no balcony lights on S class

6 minutes ago, the penguins said:

no balcony lights on S class

Did not say there were. Just that it is an 'under reported' nuisance on many(most) cruise ship balconies (not pointed at X particularly since they are moving away from 'real' balconies on their new ships).

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Did not say there were. Just that it is an 'under reported' nuisance on many(most) cruise ship balconies (not pointed at X particularly since they are moving away from 'real' balconies on their new ships).

As this is a Celebrity thread I sort of assumed your comments were directed to Celebrity ships.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, the penguins said:

As this is a Celebrity thread I sort of assumed your comments were directed to Celebrity ships.

Ditto!  👍

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 2

I’m currently in a MC sky suite on Edge. Since it’s a cool weather cruise I wanted to sleep with the door open. I asked our steward if doing so would negatively impact our neighbors’ heat or a/c.  He said no. We’ve had the door open every night. After reading about @jelayne’s experience I wonder if type of cruise matters. (Hot/humid vs. cool/less humid). 

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Poster on this thread commented on turning off balcony lights and I wholeheartedly agreed this has been bothersome to us on many cruises over the years.  I thought we had balcony lights on our Ascent and Apex Retreat balconies-did not take detailed notes. Last M cruises were a long time ago so don't remember specifically but you seem to have a handle on the X balcony lighting situation so I will defer to you. If no balcony lighting on all X ships I apologize for commenting here.

On 6/4/2024 at 11:49 AM, msteries said:

When I first started cruising many years ago, I adored keeping the balcony door open so I could fall asleep listening to the sea.  

Since this is about listening to the sea, and not about ambient temps or humidity, might I suggest that there's an app for that? Many white noise apps have an ocean or water sounds option. Just put your tablet or phone on your bedside table and turn it on when it's bedtime. Ét voilà.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Any point contacting Celebrity to ask? It was a huge plus in the IV cabin having independent AC so we could leave the window open. 
One would hope that these newer ships are designed so that individual preferences for fresh air and sea breezes can be accommodated without inconveniencing other passengers. 
It does seem that those who routinely cruise in hot, high humidity areas have no idea why those of us used to colder weather areas are mystified as to why anyone wouldn’t want to fully appreciate the joys of actually being at sea. 
Hopefully someone else who has actually stayed in an Edge class suite, non IV cabin, can contribute some facts? I’m sure that @Georgia_Peaches wouldn’t have been given the advice she was given, if it had caused problems for adjoining cabins.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Any point contacting Celebrity to ask? It was a huge plus in the IV cabin having independent AC so we could leave the window open. 
One would hope that these newer ships are designed so that individual preferences for fresh air and sea breezes can be accommodated without inconveniencing other passengers. 
It does seem that those who routinely cruise in hot, high humidity areas have no idea why those of us used to colder weather areas are mystified as to why anyone wouldn’t want to fully appreciate the joys of actually being at sea. 
Hopefully someone else who has actually stayed in an Edge class suite, non IV cabin, can contribute some facts? I’m sure that @Georgia_Peaches wouldn’t have been given the advice she was given, if it had caused problems for adjoining cabins.

Even M class ships have individual fan coil units for cabins , so  Edge class will probably have individual fancoil units

if the ship is properly air balanced it shouldnt cause a problem 

if you want open the window or balcony door go for it 😁

9 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Even M class ships have individual fan coil units for cabins , so  Edge class will probably have individual fancoil units

There is a huge difference between M/S classes and E class.

On E class open the window and the aircon goes off hence no other cabin is affected.

On M and S open the balcony doors and the aircon stays on. The aircon is connected in pairs so when you have your balcony door open it affects your neighbour as the system struggles to maintain whatever your room stat is set at. The instruction on the balcony door is very clear. The wind/pressure created by the balcony door being open is huge just open your cabin door when the balcony door is open and you will instantly feel the affect.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Most ships have two AC systems supplying every cabin.  I don't know for sure, but suspect even the Edge class does as well.  On most ships, there is a fan coil unit for each cabin, that merely recirculates the cabin air, and this is the one controlled by the cabin thermostat, and the one that shuts off when the balcony door is opened.  The other system is the one that supplies fresh, cool air to the cabins to provide the air exchanges, balanced by the bathroom exhaust fan taking stale air away.  This system has a fan coil unit in the AC rooms in the centerline of the ship (those large white areas on the deck plans), and will supply all the cabins in a given fire zone (between the fire doors in the passageway) for either one deck, or one side of the ship in that zone, for two decks.  This system does not shut off when the balcony door is opened, and since it is designed to supply slightly more air than the bathroom exhaust takes away, it maintains a slight positive pressure in the cabin for safety (keeps smoke from coming from the passageway into the cabin).  With the balcony door open, the positive pressure in that cabin is removed, and the system sends more air to that cabin trying to re-establish the positive pressure, and the other cabins on the zone get less fresh, cool, air, and tend to get stuffy and warm.

If the Edge class IV cabins truly are independent, then they have a very complex system where they will shut down not only the fan coil unit in the cabin, but will shut dampers in the fresh air supply ducts and bathroom exhaust ducts for that cabin, and have pressure sensors and variable speed fan controllers to slow down the fresh air supply and exhaust fans to not supply/take away too much air from the other cabins on the system.  The cost and maintenance headaches for a system like this is just out of my comprehension that it is outweighed by the benefits of the IV window system.

And, asking a cabin steward a technical question about something like AC, will get you answers all over the place, and most of them not correct.  Leave your suite balcony door open, and go out into the hallway.  Do you hear whistling or sucking sounds around your cabin door?  If so, you are affecting your neighbors' AC.  If not, then you are okay to keep the door open.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Most ships have two AC systems supplying every cabin.  I don't know for sure, but suspect even the Edge class does as well.  On most ships, there is a fan coil unit for each cabin, that merely recirculates the cabin air, and this is the one controlled by the cabin thermostat, and the one that shuts off when the balcony door is opened.  The other system is the one that supplies fresh, cool air to the cabins to provide the air exchanges, balanced by the bathroom exhaust fan taking stale air away.  This system has a fan coil unit in the AC rooms in the centerline of the ship (those large white areas on the deck plans), and will supply all the cabins in a given fire zone (between the fire doors in the passageway) for either one deck, or one side of the ship in that zone, for two decks.  This system does not shut off when the balcony door is opened, and since it is designed to supply slightly more air than the bathroom exhaust takes away, it maintains a slight positive pressure in the cabin for safety (keeps smoke from coming from the passageway into the cabin).  With the balcony door open, the positive pressure in that cabin is removed, and the system sends more air to that cabin trying to re-establish the positive pressure, and the other cabins on the zone get less fresh, cool, air, and tend to get stuffy and warm.

If the Edge class IV cabins truly are independent, then they have a very complex system where they will shut down not only the fan coil unit in the cabin, but will shut dampers in the fresh air supply ducts and bathroom exhaust ducts for that cabin, and have pressure sensors and variable speed fan controllers to slow down the fresh air supply and exhaust fans to not supply/take away too much air from the other cabins on the system.  The cost and maintenance headaches for a system like this is just out of my comprehension that it is outweighed by the benefits of the IV window system.

And, asking a cabin steward a technical question about something like AC, will get you answers all over the place, and most of them not correct.  Leave your suite balcony door open, and go out into the hallway.  Do you hear whistling or sucking sounds around your cabin door?  If so, you are affecting your neighbors' AC.  If not, then you are okay to keep the door open.

We had a problem with our unit on a Mclass , and one of their HVAC techs came up to try to correct the problem , and we had a long discussion on the HVAC, since I owned a company for over 30 years that did air/ water balancing in building , setting up air systems in labs, isolation rooms,  hospitals etc 

There was just a fan coil and a outside duct ( never say fresh air since even outside air  May not be fresh 😉, ) 

The new controls on systems today are light years better than anything 10-20-30 years ago , as long as your control tech is any good 😁

• Like 1