No Lobster Sharing Allowed

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Food is very subjective so I wouldn’t disagree with your assessment. I thought the food on Icon was good when I cruised on her in February, but I thought the food was much better when I cruised on Symphony a few weeks later. I was on the second revenue cruise (February 3-10), so perhaps the food quality/preparation has improved since then. I have been on 7 RCI cruises this year and the best food I have experienced was on Radiance. For what it’s worth, I have been on 4 Celebrity cruises this year and the food on their ships is definitely a notch or two above RCI. But bottom line is food is very subjective so I try to keep an open mind when reading comments about food quality, taste, etc.  

Going to disagree. Maybe it was an early cruise you were on and they weren't up to speed yet. This is not subjective, the food quality was of much greater quality all around compared to every RCCL ship I have been on (the last 2-3 years). I even spoke with a dining room manager about the food and he mentioned they have a higher budget than other ships and it definitely shows in taste and quality. 

1 minute ago, Nolefan95 said:

Going to disagree. Maybe it was an early cruise you were on and they weren't up to speed yet. This is not subjective, the food quality was of much greater quality all around compared to every RCCL ship I have been on (the last 2-3 years). I even spoke with a dining room manager about the food and he mentioned they have a higher budget than other ships and it definitely shows in taste and quality. 

My bad, I didn’t realize I wasn’t capable of knowing how food tastes. Thanks for correcting me! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, PhillyFan33579 said:

My bad, I didn’t realize I wasn’t capable of knowing how food tastes. Thanks for correcting me! 

You were on the 5 or 6 Icon cruise it sounds like. They didn't hit there stride, didn't figure out the budget, had a new team come together to feed thousands. All new ships go through this. I went on it pretty recently and I am telling you it is a step up. Give it another try and see for yourself. I have been on lots of cruises and I am aware of the normal differences that occur between ships in taste/quality. This was completely different a step up. I don't care if you believe me or not. Don't fault me for your experience on a month old cruise ship. Growing pains are normal with new ships. 

28 minutes ago, Nolefan95 said:

You were on the 5 or 6 Icon cruise it sounds like. They didn't hit there stride, didn't figure out the budget, had a new team come together to feed thousands. All new ships go through this. I went on it pretty recently and I am telling you it is a step up. Give it another try and see for yourself. I have been on lots of cruises and I am aware of the normal differences that occur between ships in taste/quality. This was completely different a step up. I don't care if you believe me or not. Don't fault me for your experience on a month old cruise ship. Growing pains are normal with new ships. 

Based on your posts, I assume things have changed since I cruised on Icon. When I cruised on Icon back in February they were using the same menus (Caribbean, French, Italian, etc ) like they do on every other RCI ship. Apparently they have changed according to your posts. I am cruising again on Icon later this year (NYE cruise) so hopefully I will get to experience first hand what you recently experienced. 

9 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Based on your posts, I assume things have changed since I cruised on Icon. When I cruised on Icon back in February they were using the same menus (Caribbean, French, Italian, etc ) like they do on every other RCI ship. Apparently they have changed according to your posts. I am cruising again on Icon later this year (NYE cruise) so hopefully I will get to experience first hand what you recently experienced. 

Hopefully they don't cut the budget by the time you get back aboard.

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Hopefully they don't cut the budget by the time you get back aboard.

Hopefully…the one thing that was really nice when I sailed on Icon was the abundance of seafood available in the Windjammer to include lobster tail. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

OH, I see where you are coming from now. The menu's are the same in the MDR for the most part other than the 2 Lobster nights. On your second try, don't miss the all you can eat lobster in the WJ the same night as the 2nd MDR lobster night. The quality of food available throughout the ship (other than the MDR) is what was noticeably different to me. The WJ quality as well as the other included eateries are better than all other RCCL ships (for the most part). From the burgers to the desserts to the availability of higher quality items in the WJ. The mexican by the pool was the same, I'll give you that. The MDR wasn't much different than other ships. The Mac & Cheese place was average at best. Touch base after your new year's eve trip.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nolefan95 said:

The quality of food available throughout the ship (other than the MDR) is what was noticeably different to me

This doesn’t sound impressive. Surely the HD oversees and is responsible for all areas of the ship.

I was going to agree that food is subjective and menus and food that suit one person don’t suit another. It is also influenced by HD and head chefs at the time and it is possible even on one ship that standards will change. But then I read your above statement. Perhaps the head chef for the MDR was lacking?

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

This doesn’t sound impressive. Surely the HD oversees and is responsible for all areas of the ship.

I was going to agree that food is subjective and menus and food that suit one person don’t suit another. It is also influenced by HD and head chefs at the time and it is possible even on one ship that standards will change. But then I read your above statement. Perhaps the head chef for the MDR was lacking?

The food in the MDR was fine. Some items better, some the same as other ships. We only ate there 3 times. The head chef definitely wasn't lacking. The food was in no way any worse in the MDR than other ships and in for certain items was better imo.  

This whole thread is just making me cringe ... I'm only at page 2 of 5 but I can assure you that regardless of all the changes in the MDR recently, some of which I can live with , there is no way on this beautiful planet that a waiter is gonna tell me I cannot share my lobster !!

Think about this . We are all talking about lobster , but let's take it a step further ... I order a steak , and my DW would like a bite ... Sorry , "No sharing your food Sir"... The whole concept is ludicrous !!

When we want Surf and turf , I order both steak and lobster entrees and ask for my steak first and DW orders same and asks for lobster first and we share . Until RCI tries to limit to 1 entree (end of story) this it how it will go  

Cheers

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

This whole thread is just making me cringe ... I'm only at page 2 of 5 but I can assure you that regardless of all the changes in the MDR recently, some of which I can live with , there is no way on this beautiful planet that a waiter is gonna tell me I cannot share my lobster !!

Think about this . We are all talking about lobster , but let's take it a step further ... I order a steak , and my DW would like a bite ... Sorry , "No sharing your food Sir"... The whole concept is ludicrous !!

When we want Surf and turf , I order both steak and lobster entrees and ask for my steak first and DW orders same and asks for lobster first and we share . Until RCI tries to limit to 1 entree (end of story) this it how it will go  

Cheers

I understand your logic but I am amazed at the passion expressed over a lobster! 

Anyone on my sailing is welcome to my lobster allocation - I probably have one every 10 sailings just for a change.

Edited by c-leg5

On 6/11/2024 at 1:40 AM, jean87510 said:

As I noted in post, I don't eat in MDR (prefer the grab and go) so have no clue.  I do like to read posts about MDR to see if I may be enticed to go.  I do always figure out when lobster night is because it's when Windjammer is empty.

Agreed.  We haven’t eaten in the MDR for the last year+.  

7 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I understand your logic but I am amazed at the passion expressed over a lobster! 

Anyone on my sailing is welcome to my lobster allocation - I probably have one every 10 sailings just for a change.

I'm not sure that the issue is so much actually about lobster as it is about being treated like you are in kindergarten. I don't need anyone telling me what, when, how, or how much food to eat. I also don't need anyone telling me that I can't share my food if I so choose to do so. I can handle it all on my own thank you very much.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

OMG! You are talking to a person who using @LobsterStalker as their call sign.

I love the irony of it all.

I will share mine with just about anyone. I like lobsters but I am not a "stalker".

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not sure that the issue is so much actually about lobster as it is about being treated like you are in kindergarten. I don't need anyone telling me what, when, how, or how much food to eat. I also don't need anyone telling me that I can't share my food if I so choose to do so. I can handle it all on my own thank you very much.

Exactly my feeling. I’m not interested in being treated like a child. I’ll try to keep my elbows off the table 🙄. Oh, and I promise to return my pool towel to avoid the $25 charge.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Cheers

And being from where you are and your screen name -do you even consider RCL MDR lobster to be acceptable?

On 6/13/2024 at 1:02 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Food is very subjective so I wouldn’t disagree with your assessment. I thought the food on Icon was good when I cruised on her in February, but I thought the food was much better when I cruised on Symphony a few weeks later. I was on the second revenue cruise (February 3-10), so perhaps the food quality/preparation has improved since then. I have been on 7 RCI cruises this year and the best food I have experienced was on Radiance. For what it’s worth, I have been on 4 Celebrity cruises this year and the food on their ships is definitely a notch or two above RCI. But bottom line is food is very subjective so I try to keep an open mind when reading comments about food quality, taste, etc.  

Not to be rude, but how? Are you retired? How much vacation time do you get per year if you aren't? I'd love to cruise that much!!!

1 hour ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Not to be rude, but how? Are you retired? How much vacation time do you get per year if you aren't? I'd love to cruise that much!!!

I retired when I was 57 a few years ago and have been averaging two cruises a month since then. I live in Florida, which makes it easy to cruise out of 4 ports with drives less than 4 hours (I never cruise out of Jacksonville). 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I retired when I was 57 a few years ago and have been averaging two cruises a month since then. I live in Florida, which makes it easy to cruise out of 4 ports with drives less than 4 hours (I never cruise out of Jacksonville). 

You've given me a new goal in life! Now I just have to convince my wife to cruise that often. I have time... I'll hone my negotiating skills 😀

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

OMG! You are talking to a person who using @LobsterStalker as their call sign.

I love the irony of it all.

I will share mine with just about anyone. I like lobsters but I am not a "stalker".

🤣

I have been a Lobster Fisherman for 35 years , hence the name 'Lobster Stalker' .

Even though they are not as good as fresh caught, they still go good with a decent steak !

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ngrund said:

And being from where you are and your screen name -do you even consider RCL MDR lobster to be acceptable?

I do not consider myself a "foodie", have eaten thousands of lobsters , and to me even a subpar frozen tail is a good addition to a nice surf and turf meal . I guess this is why I am so turned off by the idea that anyone is gonna tell me I can't share my "prepaid" meal. The only way this is gonna fly is if they change their entire policy to 1 entree , at which point the whole idea of cruising is now turned on its head .

JMHO

Cheers

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 9:52 AM, Pratique said:

Yes they did on Symphony last month but it was on a different day. The seafood selection in WJ overall was more impressive than usual.

Was it the first Cape Liberty sailing?