Poll for which type of venue is most popular (closes July 19)

Where do you normally eat dinner on a cruise?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. On a normal cruise, where do you eat dinner?

• Buffet every/almost every evening
    • Main Dining Rooms every/almost every evening
    • Specialty Restaurants every/almost every evening
    • Split between Buffet, Main Dining Rooms, and Specialty Restaurants
    • Split between Buffet and Main Dining Rooms
    • Split between Buffet and Specialty Restaurants
    • Split between Main Dining Rooms and Specialty Restaurants
    • In Room - room service
    • Other
  2. 2. How often do you order room service for dinner?

• Never
    • 1 time
    • 1/3 of the evenings
    • 1/2 of the evenings
    • 2/3 of the evenings
    • Almost every/every evening

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 07/20/2024 at 01:00 AM

I was curious what percentage of people were eating dinner in the different venues.  I know where I think most people eat on the ship but I thought a poll might give better insights.

For me it varies, on my last cruise I ate in the MDR every night except once in OVC, no specialty restaurants at all.  The previous cruise I ate in specialty restaurants four out of six nights and two specialty lunches.  On my next cruise I bought the Unlimited Specialty Dining package for a transatlantic cruise since it includes specialty lunches for all sea days making it a bargain in my mind. The cruise after that I plan on eating in the MDR exclusively.  It just depends on how I feel for the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not big on spending extra AND I enjoy the same waitstaff each night which is easier/more likely in the MDR.  I will venture to a speciality dining venue with OBC.  I am a foodie but I just look at a cruise as a week or more when I’m not making 3 meals a day!  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

What about Blu and Luminae? does your poll consider them to be MDR?

Me bad.  I don't see a way to edit the poll now - it must lock after someone responds.  I think of MDR as 'included for everyone on ship.' 

Since I missed them vote however you'd classify them.  Personally, I would consider them specialty since you are paying extra in your fare to get into them - or other works.  

• Like 1

Like George C, we most often eat in Luminae, followed by specialty restaurants when the mood suits, but if you're asking to determine whether people are willing to pay for specialty dining, our vote doesn't count.  Like George C, we have no up-charge for specialty dining.  I just voted "Other".

As a side note, we only sail on M and S class ships, so we are able to watch the MDR menu for gems that don't cross over to Luminae's menu (pulled lamb in phyllo anyone?), and order them from the MDR menu in Luminae. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

This is going to sound naive, but how are you getting onboard credit?  It is a promotion they run from time to time on their site?

The OBC offers vary but typically exist with on board bookings and occasional cruise line promotions. It will also accompany TA bookings when they are using a cruise line issued group rate that will include some amount of OBC.  (These rates are not available to individual bookings directly from the cruise line and are the result of group or block bookings made by the TA.  But the OBC in those cases would accompany the group rate and would be issue through the TA by the cruise line).  TA's will also occasionally issue OBC directly from their booking commission as in incentive to book through them.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I have an unpopular opinion on this one, so I'll chime in for perspective. I am a solo traveler by choice - I really enjoy it and find that 90% of the time, I prefer travelling by myself to travelling with others. It gives me an opportunity to relax and unwind in a way that I can't (as an introvert) if I also have company with me.

Why is that important for this topic? Well, as a solo traveler, there is one last thing I haven't conquered: solo dining. Even as the most introvert-y introvert out there who chooses to travel alone, I have yet to get over the weirdness of dining by myself in a sit-down restaurant with a waiter. I'm working on it, but I'm not there yet. And for that reason, I exclusively eat at the buffet for dinner. Just wanted to provide some context for an "odd man out" vote on your poll.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We primarily book Aqua Class and choose it for Blu. I would classify it as Main Dining - just a different main dining room. 

We will est in specialty dining two or three times. DH would eat there nightly but I’m not much of a foodie so it’s lost on me. I would rather spend the money on good cocktails.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, critic2023 said:

I am a solo traveler by choice ... wanted to provide some context for an "odd man out" vote on your poll.

Thanks for the response.  My next cruise is my first on Celebrity (Beyond) & my first solo cruise, although not completely by choice.  My roomie backed out due to work & I still need a vacation.  I feel a little anxious about going solo pre-cruise but I'm confident an alcohol package can cure that. 

A decade ago, I was on a NCL cruise where they asked if we (2 in my group) wanted to dine with a group or alone each time we went to the MDR.  I've gone on 2 cruises since & that has not been asked at all.  Although it can be awkward at first, I really enjoyed the group of strangers setting and by the end of the cruise I recognized quite a few people on the ship.  I don't expect to see it offered on Beyond.  If you are offered, I highly recommend you try it.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Water_Baby_ said:

We primarily book Aqua Class and choose it for Blu. I would classify it as Main Dining - just a different main dining room. 

Just to clarify for those who may not book Aqua, while I guess you could say it is the MDR for Aqua class, the menu at Blu is completely different from the MDR. (Although you can order from the MDR menu there if you want).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Just to clarify for those who may not book Aqua, while I guess you could say it is the MDR for Aqua class, the menu at Blu is completely different from the MDR. (Although you can order from the MDR menu there if you want).

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Same with Lumanae, this poll is flawed.  I think I answered Specialty because there was no right answer for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Water_Baby_ said:

I would rather spend the money on good cocktails.  

8 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

And here is the root of my dilemma..  

We enjoy good cocktails while dining in the specialty restaurants, which are included if you have the premium beverage package. They are a nice compliment to a fine meal.

• Like 2

I'm not a foodie and am more than content with the MDR food so I'm not interested in spending my money on specialty dining.  I would rather spend it on excursions or upgrade to a nicer room or save up to take more cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

We enjoy good cocktails while dining in the specialty restaurants, which are included if you have the premium beverage package. They are a nice compliment to a fine meal.

I like the premium package but am a lightweight so don’t drink enough to warrant $142 Canadian each and every day. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

Since I missed them vote however you'd classify them.  Personally, I would consider them specialty since you are paying extra in your fare to get into them - or other works

When I responded, I considered Blu and Luminae as the MDR as they are my MDR when I sail in those classes of rooms. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Water_Baby_ said:

I like the premium package but am a lightweight so don’t drink enough to warrant $142 Canadian each and every day. 

Understand that.  We also rarely buy it as well but there are times when the Always pricing with the upgrade have made it a decent value.  My point was more lighthearted about enjoying a good cocktail with a nice dinner.

But it also is an individual choice and a matter of one's cruise budget.  There are many people who book only suites, others who book inside staterooms. Those who spend money on ship excursions, those who prefer to do things on their own and spend that money elsewhere.  Just a personal choice and however one decides to cruise to achieve their own enjoyment is up to them.

10 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

Me bad.  I don't see a way to edit the poll now - it must lock after someone responds.  I think of MDR as 'included for everyone on ship.' 

Since I missed them vote however you'd classify them.  Personally, I would consider them specialty since you are paying extra in your fare to get into them - or other works.  

We considered BLU as an mdr as well as the 4 mdrs in E Class.

We like variety,  and enjoy most of the specialty venues which for most cruisers are an extra charge beyond the cruise fare.  We pre- book for best selection.  We use our E plus discount for an extra  dinner or lunch at a Specialty rest.

.We prefer Raw on 5 ( E Class) to the non E class sushi place..That has a more limited menu for non sushi eaters and folks with certain allergies.  . We truly miss Silk Harvest...it was excellent!

We also miss Q sine which was ahead of its time.  It  had a great menu, excellent food quality & ecclectic presentation....in a fun setting !   Too bad it was  replaced by LPC cartoon dinner! (at best a one and done)

10 hours ago, critic2023 said:

I think I have an unpopular opinion on this one, so I'll chime in for perspective. I am a solo traveler by choice - I really enjoy it and find that 90% of the time, I prefer travelling by myself to travelling with others. It gives me an opportunity to relax and unwind in a way that I can't (as an introvert) if I also have company with me.

Why is that important for this topic? Well, as a solo traveler, there is one last thing I haven't conquered: solo dining. Even as the most introvert-y introvert out there who chooses to travel alone, I have yet to get over the weirdness of dining by myself in a sit-down restaurant with a waiter. I'm working on it, but I'm not there yet. And for that reason, I exclusively eat at the buffet for dinner. Just wanted to provide some context for an "odd man out" vote on your poll.

go in AQ class with Blu.. seating is close and many cruisers are friendly to neighbors!!