Requesting table for 2

It used to be that you could email the Maitre'd for the ship and request a table for 2.  I think I read someplace that you can no longer do that.  Is this the case?  If so, how does one go about requesting that...other than doing it on the ship the day of embarkation.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, shof515 said:

what kind of dinning time do you have?

if you have your time dinning, you can do this on the hub app when you make a dinning request 

I have early dining scheduled.

Posted (edited)

For set dining times, there is always "ask John Heald" on his Facebook page. His usual reply is to send him a message (by posting on his page) about 2 days before the cruise. Include your ship, sail date, and cabin number. DO NOT include your reservation number. Since he is in the UK, his board for requests is usually open from about 3 AM - 12 PM EST. He will then send your request to the ship. 

Edited by royal3

There isn't an email any more.  Go see the maitre'd on embarkation day and they will put the request into the system.  Their open hours should be listed on your Fun Times and/or listed outside the main dining room doors.  We had no issue doing this last fall and had a table for 2 each night.  We had late set time dining.

• Like 6

Well, technically you were never supposed to email the Maitre' D with a dining request.

There just wasn't anything stopping you. But while these fine men and women would do what they could, they were under no obligation to respond to emails from guests. Carnival has finally blocked external emails to these accounts.

• Like 3

I have gone the John Heald route on a couple prior cruises. And he has not let us down! Just the couple days prior, on his FB post, with cruise info. And we are early dining. 

2 hours ago, bartzcrew said:

I have gone the John Heald route on a couple prior cruises. And he has not let us down! Just the couple days prior, on his FB post, with cruise info. And we are early dining. 

The downside is that Maitres do not answer to JH.  It is best to speak to them directly,

4 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Again, we agree.  He repeatedly tells people he is not a "Beard" but he does, like any long term employee, has many friends onboard to do him favors.  

We are turning over a new leaf together, Elaine. 😜

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 9:20 PM, bartzcrew said:

Anyone figure out a way to not have your post on his page not be seen by all of your FB friends? Dont like posting on his page because then people know when you will be out of town.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, babyclaytonmom said:

Anyone figure out a way to not have your post on his page not be seen by all of your FB friends? Dont like posting on his page because then people know when you will be out of town.

Just talk to the Maitre'd once onboard then. The Maitre'd is the one who will actually handle the request, John is just a middle man.

57 minutes ago, babyclaytonmom said:

The way I do it is I only have FB friends who are my friends IRL, and I don't mind them knowing that I am out of town,

Edited by staceyglow
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

The way I do it is I only have FB friends who are my friends IRL, and I don't mind them knowing that I am out of town,

Know all of mine as well but how well do you reallllly know everyone, unless you have a small # of FB friends. Going on a B2B2B in Europe and not trying to brag/show off to friends/family who arent as fortunate.

1 hour ago, Sgwscruiser said:

If you're that worried maybe don't post or set up an alternate name that you do not share with anyone 

That wouldn't work for this because you have to share your name, booking number, etc., on a public forum.

But as I said, there is nothing JH can do on Facebook that you can't do yourself. So just do it yourself if you're worried about the public aspect.

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

That wouldn't work for this because you have to share your name, booking number, etc., on a public forum.

But as I said, there is nothing JH can do on Facebook that you can't do yourself. So just do it yourself if you're worried about the public aspect.

Well if you use AlternateRandomAccount01 to post your name and sailing date and all that to JH's page on FB, it would be highly unlikely that Friend01 would see such a post if your alt acct isn't friends with them or if they aren't a follower of JH. Not to mention the hundreds of replies his posts generate so they'd have to wade through all of that on the off-chance they see someone's name they know. 

Yes, you can also take care of it yourself when you board the ship but some folks like to have all those little things taken care of before the cruise if at all possible. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I really don't understand why people think JH should waste his time with something like this.   Just stop by the Maitre'd when you get on board and put in you request.  Why would anyone make a big deal over something so trivial. 

People think they are a special snowflake and their request deserves special attention even though if you scroll down on his page on any given day, there are 50 more just like yours.

What I've learned reading things like this forum and his page are travel agents earn every dime of their commission, and I truly hope that PVPs are paid well because whatever they earn is well deserved.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

People think they are a special snowflake and their request deserves special attention even though if you scroll down on his page on any given day, there are 50 more just like yours.

What I've learned reading things like this forum and his page are travel agents earn every dime of their commission, and I truly hope that PVPs are paid well because whatever they earn is well deserved.

STOP IT.  Three agrees in a row...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2