Autistic 14 year old missing from Caribbean Princess.

Thank goodness this all worked out in the end.  Princess unfortunately dropped the ball allowing the kid off of the ship without an adult, but at the same time they did help the grandmother pack up her stuff, exit the ship and put her up in a hotel.  They also flew the mother into Germany as well. 

Princess handled things the best as they could from the circumstances presented.  Luckily social media came into play in a positive way because all too often the opposite holds true.

• Like 3

I would not want to be the princess staff person that checked Aydin off the ship!!! That is basic security 101. I hope they find him okay and that the person he was with maybe did not understand his age etc. They cleared had this arranged. Not sure I would let an autistic child out of my sight on a cruise ship...the grandmother must be so upset.

27 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

On their personal FB pages.  They have been out there posting trying to get maximum exposure on this situation.

I wonder why the news hasn’t reported that he has been found? 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I wonder why the news hasn’t reported that he has been found? 

They do.

https://www.ostsee-zeitung.de/lokales/rostock/aydin-14-aus-texas-ist-gefunden-seine-mutter-die-polizei-holt-ihn-jetzt-P63EC4CAOFA55MS4TMWP6PEFVU.html

Police could track his phone and found him somewhere in Brandenburg near Potsdam.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Thanks 6

9 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

I would not want to be the princess staff person that checked Aydin off the ship!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if they were sent home after this.

I'm glad to hear that he's be found, alive & safe.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EDVM96 said:

Thank you! I haven’t seen any news here in the US yet stating that he has been found. 

19 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Are they regular traveling companions?

No way in he** an autistic 14 year-old should be taken alone on a cruise out of the country to Europe by an elderly relative.

If he's a gamer, he's more comfortable at home, in his safe space. 

There seems to be some judgment shared here and I don’t think this is fair. I am on board, with my son who has autism and is high functioning and his grandparents and the crew have been amazing, both before and after this incident. Something yet unknown has obviously happened as to how this young man got off the ship and you can bet that Princess, the port security and likely every parent and cruise line has had a stern reminder about safety, both online and in person. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

I would not want to be the princess staff person that checked Aydin off the ship!!! That is basic security 101. I hope they find him okay and that the person he was with maybe did not understand his age etc. They cleared had this arranged. Not sure I would let an autistic child out of my sight on a cruise ship...the grandmother must be so upset.

This is easier said than done, even by the best of parents! I am on board this ship with my son with autism and with all the crowds we hold his hand AND have an AirTag on him and sometimes we don’t hold hands! It’s hard at times, but welcome to parenting! And, I can assure you that the crew on the ship have been amazing and I am sure that whoever checked him off is reviewing in their mind what happened!  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mirkymirk said:

There seems to be some judgment shared here and I don’t think this is fair. I am on board, with my son who has autism and is high functioning and his grandparents and the crew have been amazing, both before and after this incident. Something yet unknown has obviously happened as to how this young man got off the ship and you can bet that Princess, the port security and likely every parent and cruise line has had a stern reminder about safety, both online and in person. 

agree

from the family reports sounds like he is over 2 hours away from the place where ship was docked. It is simply every parent or grand parents nightmare to have your child missing let alone in another country. I am curious  as to whether he met this person online or something random.

Very glad to hear this good news.  Unfortunately, the case is "solved" and we will never know how this happened nor what will happen after the child is reunited with his parent/guardian.

I am so happy to hear that the mother had the technology to keep track of her son.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Unfortunately, the case is "solved" and we will never know how this happened nor what will happen after the child is reunited with his parent/guardian.

Nope. There will be a police report tomorrow with more details. Who the other person was, etc.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am so happy to hear that the mother had the technology to keep track of her son.  

Not the mother tracked him, the police tracked him via Cell ID / IMSI-catcher.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Thanks for the article. 

Sounds like the young man is okay and no harm has come to him. 

Hope the family can get over this horrible situation. 

IMG_3669.png

• Thanks 8

The judgements are almost difficult to read.  There is a wide spectrum of Autism.  Just consider that, technically, Elon Musk, is autistic!  From the news reports it sounds like this boy was able to set-up his "escape" online.  Great that the police were able to track him down.  Perhaps he will someday be the next Elon Musk :).

Hank

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

It might be a situation similar to what someone else described above where their son just pointed to someone else (who in that case did happen to be his sister) and said "I'm with her". 

We'll have to wait and see what actually happened. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, paddingtonbear said:

It might be a situation similar to what someone else described above where their son just pointed to someone else (who in that case did happen to be his sister) and said "I'm with her". 

Absolutely. This is exactly what I would do if I wanted to sneak from a ship underage.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Absolutely. This is exactly what I would do if I wanted to sneak from a ship underage.

I don't know ....he may have thought there is no problem just walking off...if it was the time when many were getting off for excursions etc. he probably just stayed with people as they went thru...are the staff really counting out the number in the party etc. It does seem planned and most reports say he was meeting a 19 year old fellow gamer. 

It was planned from him. However he did it, it worked out.

FBI is also involved since Friday in this missing case.
I really would like to see the security cams from Caribbean Princess, but guess what we will never see them. 😄

• Like 1