When Everyone Is Special, No One Is Special

22 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The best scam is Go Green and eliminate the room being cleaned 2 daily. They give you points to accept less service. This is just a gateway to cut service and not give you the points.  

No scam.  I do it every cruise and I get the points every cruise. Sometimes it takes a phone call, but I always get them. How is it a scam? They deliver what they promise.

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The scam is that they are offering points to wean passengers down to one service.  You aren't saving the attendant any work as they are assigned to another project with the time saved not servicing your room

No they aren’t.  Where did you get that idea?  

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

If they don't have to do as much work what do you think they are doing with the extra time saved? Why are they even in the room if they aren't doing anything? I don't need them to visit unless they are going to take the wet towels and empty garbage.

According to the room steward on my last cruise, I was the only one in his section opting for go green.  This his work load was reduced by approximately 15 minutes per day.  He was still around if I needed anything.  You are imagining things if you think that go green has suddenly gifted him a huge amount of time off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

If they don't have to do as much work what do you think they are doing with the extra time saved? Why are they even in the room if they aren't doing anything? I don't need them to visit unless they are going to take the wet towels and empty garbage.

after several go green cruises , I can say they still turn the bed down, empty the garbage and replace wet towels

I'm not sure what the future holds but I have enjoyed some (but not all) of the perks. It's a nice add and it does keep from hitting up some (but not all) cruise lines .

I just want the lines to keep the quality of current offerings up for us cruisers 

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Were you not asked when you would prefer to have the room serviced? When I was on Anthem in February, I was asked and so could set the time. So if you're showering in the morning, schedule it then. If you're showering after being out on excursions more, schedule it for evening. If your stateroom host didn't ask, you should have made the effort to let them know which you'd prefer - morning or evening.

I always hang my towels (and still have them replaced, so so much for "If you want to re-use them, hang them up) since it's not like I'm using fresh towels every shower at home. (Maybe if you're lucky enough to have laundry in your home where you don't have to schlep it a few blocks and pay for it you do?) I can't say I ever had cans overflowing...but I also don't do room service (when you're in a studio apartment all the time, you learn quickly that it's not all that to eat where you sleep), so maybe that added to it? If the room can is full, I use the can in the bathroom.

We were asked and choose mornings. So the room was done late morning. Towels were used then, and usually exchanged — except for the washcloths which seemed to be forgotten often. By the next morning, they were all used at least twice and began to pile up. Possibly a towel or two occasionally from the Solarium? 

Not sure what the presence of a washer/dryer in our home has to do with service on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship.

The trash can was tiny, any time we happen to grab a coffee and go back to the room with it, which happened almost every day,  those two cups filled half of it.  Maybe some of the unnecessary printed art auction materials took up some space, along with a few tissues. The bathroom can was even smaller and was also full. 

We do a light breakfast by room service usually so there is a tray. Maybe a couple of used iced tea or milk glasses from the Windjammer and/or Cafe Promenade made there way back to the room too at some point. 

My point is, they lessened the service level, did not lower the fare or, more importantly, the gratuities that paid for that service, and there was a definite impact on our enjoyment of that service. Thankfully the  trip was to Norway and the itinerary made up for any shortcomings on the ship. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Not sure what the presence of a washer/dryer in our home has to do with service on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship.

Just that when you don't have that, you're used to re-using towels.

It just seems like a lot of people only use any towel only once before washing it. I personally have no issue re-using mine - I always hang them. But given that they are almost always replaced even when hanging up, my guess is that room stewards would get complaints for not changing them even if hanging that they just automatically replace them all.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

The trash can was tiny, any time we happen to grab a coffee and go back to the room with it, which happened almost every day,  those two cups filled half of it.  Maybe some of the unnecessary printed art auction materials took up some space, along with a few tissues. The bathroom can was even smaller and was also full. 

Regarding this, if I brought a disposable cup back to my cabin and for whatever reason it didn't fit, it really isn't that big of a deal to take it to the can at the elevator. I get that I'm weird that way. If by some chance I have more than one, it's easy enough to stack them.

But I'm clearly the weird one on these boards.

16 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

My point is, they lessened the service level, did not lower the fare or, more importantly, the gratuities that paid for that service, and there was a definite impact on our enjoyment of that service. Thankfully the  trip was to Norway and the itinerary made up for any shortcomings on the ship. 

mac_tlc

They offered a lesser service,they gave you an incentive to take it and you took it. Why would they lower the fare?

And if it had a negative impact, you could always go to guest services and change back to the original way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Regarding this, if I brought a disposable cup back to my cabin and for whatever reason it didn't fit, it really isn't that big of a deal to take it to the can at the elevator. I get that I'm weird that way. If by some chance I have more than one, it's easy enough to stack them.

At some point, a lot of little inconveniences add up to a lessened experience. Many of these changes by all cruise lines, but certainly by Royal and X, have pushed responsibility to the passenger. X’s failed butler experiment was a clear example. 

We had an aft cabin, sorry I’m not walking a cup to the elevators every time the tiny garbage can is filled because it only gets emptied once a day due to a service level change initiated by the cruise line with no advance notice, no fare decrease and no gratuity change. 

mac_tlc

23 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Did you know that you can ask for an extra trashcan or extra can liner bags?  Families do it all the time——— children can create a lot of trash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

They offered a lesser service,they gave you an incentive to take it and you took it. Why would they lower the fare?

And if it had a negative impact, you could always go to guest services and change back to the original way.

Not sure what the “incentive” was. When we booked the cruise, the service level was “twice a day”. And there is no option to go to twice a day service once Royal changes to one a day. Ironically, when they offered twice a day, someone could always request once a day— but the opposite is not true.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

And the service level on Celebrity is still twice a day but if you opt for Go green and change to once a day they give you a Captains Club points. That’s your incentive.  Maybe you didn’t understand the program?

8 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Did you know that you can ask for an extra trashcan or extra can liner bags?  Families do it all the time——— children can create a lot of trash.

Brilliant. Problem solved.

15 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

At some point, a lot of little inconveniences add up to a lessened experience.

Uh - Go Green is a voluntary program.  Celebrity never took anything away from you, you have to tell them you want to participate.   Or am I taking something out of context here? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

We usually take empty water bottles and larger objects and sit them on the floor next to the trash can.  

You can also call your stateroom attendant and ask that the trash can be emptied.  

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Uh - Go Green is a voluntary program.  Celebrity never took anything away from you, you have to tell them you want to participate.   Or am I taking something out of context here? 

As I suspected might occur, the thread has deviated from the discussion of Celebrity’s Go Green program to my experience on Royal last year with their change to once-a-day stateroom service .

You are correct on GoGreen, we have used it a lot and have not had any degradation of service with it.

mac_tlc

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

And the service level on Celebrity is still twice a day but if you opt for Go green and change to once a day they give you a Captains Club points. That’s your incentive.  Maybe you didn’t understand the program?

I understand it well. I believe you have confused Celebrity’s Go Green with my off-topic experience on Royal with their once a day stateroom service.

Ok, now back to our regularly scheduled programming. Sorry for the sidetrack but….. oh, never mind.😜.

mac_tlc

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I think you’re practical not weird. I don’t remember seeing cans by elevators only by swimming pools.

On 7/6/2024 at 8:53 PM, DaKahuna said:

We reached Elite+ on our last cruise.  Our next one will be the first one we get to sail with those privileges.   We've been Diamond Plus and over have reached the over 340 points mark for the little extra's that come there.  We'll never reach Zenith or Pinnacle. 

Agree with you and G peaches...Next goal, Zenith,  is most likely unobtainable unless we hit lotto..

On 7/6/2024 at 11:25 AM, Tom and Ingrid said:

As I slowly move up the ranks of X loyalty/status (still only Elite), I see that X is experiencing pretty much the same issues as all these programs - too many "big" fish making them devalue the perks for all or X is stuck with a growing "cost" eating into their profits.  Since we know businesses don't eat into their profits when they can figure out other methods, clearly a devaluation is coming or, as many feel, is already happening.

Every single day, more folks are moving up from Select -> Elite -> Elite+ -> Zenith, and there is no way the existing Zeniths are dropping off at a fast enough pace to simply be replaced.  The ranks of the "special" folks on a cruise will swell and swell.  I foresee that the trend in X towards $$$ and not status counting most of all will accelerate.  Like airlines before them, status will mean less (or be accrued differently).  

IOW - as mentioned in another thread, "loyalty" programs don't mean much if they don't inspire loyalty.  I gotta wonder where this leads - for us in particular - as we approach retirement and more time to cruise, and nothing too enticing about progressing too much further up the ladder, especially if by the time we get to Zenith (10 yrs more?), it will likely be a shadow of what it was.  I see changing from a "X or bust" cruiser to almost solely being driven by price and itinerary (already high priorities).

If this was true, the very first thing to end would be the power up points for watching seminars or taking tests, and they are still happening....

On 7/6/2024 at 5:02 PM, Iamcruzin said:

These loyalty programs are a trap. You are worried about the perks being devalued all along the cruise experience has been devalued while they throw you a bone to keep you coming back. These programs allow them to cut services and nickel and dime for items that were included at one time. I have been following long enough to remember the threads when they cut the daily water service in Aqua class, removed the foot stools in Concierge class, started charging for fresh squeezed orange juice, started charging for better cuts of meat in the MDR and now the current complaint about removing lounges from suites. The best scam is Go Green and eliminate the room being cleaned 2 daily. They give you points to accept less service. This is just a gateway to cut service and not give you the points.  Yet people who complain keep coming back for a few free drinks and discounts to encourage more spending. Sounds like they have you just where they want you. I follow the line that saves me money at the time of booking.

Agree! Well said.