What Should We know About Zaandam ?

We just booked a way out April 7 ,2026 c Mexican Riviera 11 day cruise . We never sailed on this ship in the past . We booked into a handicap outside cabin on lower Promenade Deck 3  .  in the back of the ship  Are there important areas e should be aware of ?

TIA 

31 minutes ago, sambamama said:

I've never sailed on her,  but I've read about  alot of air conditioning complaints in the cabins- more than average. 

Thanks for your   message  . air conditioning is some thing that is repaorable  ,at least in a dry dock  . Our booking is not until April 7 .2026 

We were in a handicap inside room on the Zaamdam (assigned as a GTY inside category one day prior to boarding so I guess no one needed it) - it was the BIGGEST room we have ever stayed in. 😀

We have spent a month and a half on her this past year. In the Amazon and thru the Panama Canal.  A/C was not a problem for us. I do like it cold.  Our stateroom was in the low 70's at the lowest.  The rest of the ship was the same.  She is a little older, as you know, so she has some quirks, but is in good condition.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We just booked a way out April 7 ,2026 c Mexican Riviera 11 day cruise . We never sailed on this ship in the past . We booked into a handicap outside cabin on lower Promenade Deck 3  .  in the back of the ship  Are there important areas e should be aware of ?

TIA 

We will be doing this same itinerary on the Zaandam in Dec. 2024.  I'll try to do a review when we return.  Look for something late December.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We booked into a handicap outside cabin on lower Promenade Deck 3  .  in the back of the ship  Are there important areas e should be aware of ?

That is a good location, Cliff, under the carpetted MDR, steps away from the biggest balcony on the ship, and elevator-close to the Lido Marketplace. It's a hike to the Crows Nest, though!

I've sailed the Zaandam 2-weeks in a Vista Suite (South America) and 2-weeks on the Lower Promenade, but mid-ship (Alaska). Booked for a 25-day cruise on sister ship Volendam!

We've been on the Zaandam twice:  Last fall for 2.5 months on the GSA and 6 years earlier for 3 weeks on an Antarctica cruise.  We love the ship and wouldn't hesitate to book a trip on it again. The long voyage was in an ocean view cabin forward and the shorter voyage was in an inside cabin that I don't remember the cabin number or location.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rodndonna said:

We were in a handicap inside room on the Zaamdam (assigned as a GTY inside category one day prior to boarding so I guess no one needed it) - it was the BIGGEST room we have ever stayed in. 😀

Same! Loved this ship. The size of the room was a nice bonus. We loved the size of the ship and thought it was ideal to get to and from various areas onboard. 

@mcrcruiser be sure to explore the outside areas. There were some areas that I didn’t see on the map that tended to be quieter.

• Like 1

Ships of the Zaandam’s age don’t have multiple outlets for charging your electronics, hair dryers and such.  None at the bedside tables.  One 110v outlet and one Euro type outlet at the desk.  It’s pretty easy to manage, if you come prepared.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Zippercat said:

Ships of the Zaandam’s age don’t have multiple outlets for charging your electronics, hair dryers and such.  None at the bedside tables.  One 110v outlet and one Euro type outlet at the desk.  It’s pretty easy to manage, if you come prepared.

If you need bedside power, bring a long extension cord.  There are a number of electrical adapters from Amazon that will allow more items to plugged in to the outlets at your desk..

image.jpeg.36fc0880e898c8e6fa27421086c2401b.jpeg

No bedside outlets.

image.jpeg.907e7e365b889490285fafe869e7275c.jpeg

4 hours ago, recruiter 28 said:

Has anyone been in cabin 6100 on the Zaandam?  It's an unusual oceanview cabin which we have booked. Thank you

Cruisedeckplans.com has pictures of 6100.  They are 2009 pics so show the older decor, but good enough to see what the odd shaped room is like!

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve been on the Zaandam a few times. Absolutely love it. It is not a Vista or Pinnacle class ship so expect less dining venues. But the size and intimacy of this smaller ship makes up for that imo.

The Vista Suites are much more spacious than Verandas or Vistas on the bigger ships. 
I’m positive you will enjoy this ship.

By the way , Zaandam is a city in the Netherlands …😉

• Like 1

Cabin stewards will bring you an extension cord if you need one. We sailed on Oosterdam a few weeks ago and were surprised there were no bedside outlets for DH's C-pap. They brought us one right away when asked. I'm sure they get this request often.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 3:56 AM, mcrcruiser said:

We never sailed on this ship in the past . We booked into a handicap outside cabin on lower Promenade Deck 3  .  in the back of the ship  Are there important areas e should be aware of ?

The recent thread on Volendam, made me realize you may not know your outside cabin will not come with a mini-fridge, although you can rent one for a nominal fee.

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

The recent thread on Volendam, made me realize you may not know your outside cabin will not come with a mini-fridge, although you can rent one for a nominal fee.

Rent a refrigerator ?   From ? 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

Rent a refrigerator ?   From ? 

From the ship/HAL. I lined mine up with my PCC pre-boarding. I would recommend requesting one pre-sailing lest they run out.

Call Ship Services is 1-800-541-1576 . It's still reportedly $2/day! (Thanks @Alberta Quilter!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2024 at 5:11 AM, sambamama said:

I've never sailed on her,  but I've read about  alot of air conditioning complaints in the cabins- more than average. 

I spent 90 days on the Zaandam last fall and never heard complaints about the AC -- even though we were on the Amazon (near equator) for a week.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Do the inside cabins on the Zaandam come with a mini refrigerator or will we have to rent one?

3 hours ago, farjar said:

Do the inside cabins on the Zaandam come with a mini refrigerator or will we have to rent one?

Only cabins with a balcony come with mini-fridge on Zaandam (or Volendam). But at least the insides are roomy!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2024 at 12:05 PM, crystalspin said:

Only cabins with a balcony come with mini-fridge on Zaandam (or Volendam). But at least the insides are roomy!

Having sailed on the Oosterdam and Koningsdam previously I was totally unaware inside cabins on the Zaandam did not have a mini fridge. I sent an email yesterday to hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com and today they confirmed we will have a mini frig in our cabin for $2 per day.

I am always so grateful to those who are willing to share their knowledge and insights to benefit their fellow cruisers.  We have saved time, money and many headaches due to the information learned here on CC. Thanks "crystalspin" and everyone else for their helpful expertise. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We have read conflicting reports about this cruise ships condition  like air conditioning not working all the time ie .

For those who saed on this ship recently what has been your experience ? We have a future 11 day cruise booked on Zaandam 

TIA