Is Princess having a Brand/Identity crisis - your thoughts?

Globaler

The Carnival Corporation owns Carnival (family/kids), Holland America (older cruisers), Seabourn (luxury), Costa (budget), Aida and P&O (not sure) and then Princess (middle age, semi upscale, value). Given this line up; why is the Carnival Corporation messing with Princess by trying to appeal to everyone? 
 These are my thoughts what do you think?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Globaler said:

Given this line up; why is the Carnival Corporation messing with Princess by trying to appeal to everyone? 

what do you mean by messing with?

We've sailed with Princess since our kid was 4 (so for about 9 years), and it's always been one of our go-to lines. They are not messing anything up, but they finally updated their entertainment to a more or less modern stuff in the last couple of years.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I think I'm jumping ship. Trying Viking in November.

Thanks for the reply. Care to comment why? If we can raise the major issues, just maybe Princess will make some changes.

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

what do you mean by messing with?

We've sailed with Princess since our kid was 4 (so for about 9 years), and it's always been one of our go-to lines. They are not messing anything up, but they finally updated their entertainment to a more or less modern stuff in the last couple of years.

In my opinion, they are trying to go big, going a little woke and some of the entertainment was raunchy (in the Piazza) on our last cruise on the Sun. Some of the crew acted like they wanted to be hip. To me that’s not the Princess lane but I guess we will have to wait and see. I’ve booked 2 cruises for next year and one in 2026 so I’m hopeful that things don’t change to much.

Edited by Globaler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Globaler said:

Thanks for the reply. Care to comment why? If we can raise the major issues, just maybe Princess will make some changes.

We are Elite, so miss the benefits that were removed/scaled down. Our last 2 cruises, the food was very disappointing, our stewards were terrible (even the one when we were in a suite) and the ships have gotten too big.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We are Elite, so miss the benefits that were removed/scaled down. Our last 2 cruises, the food was very disappointing, our stewards were terrible (even the one when we were in a suite) and the ships have gotten too big.

I understand - the food on our Sun cruise was not up to Princess standards. Seems to me they should focus on delivering a quality product first and then try and add a few things at a time. The Sun will undergo some changes fairly quickly as they learn the pain points.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I totally agree about the scaled down elite benefits. We've had perfectly good stewards, but that's probably luck of the draw. Food's been mostly hits with some bad misses. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Globaler said:

In my opinion, they are trying to go big, going a little woke and some of the entertainment was raunchy (in the Piazza) on our last cruise on the Sun. Some of the crew acted like they wanted to be hip. To me that’s not the Princess lane but I guess we will have to wait and see. I’ve booked 2 cruises for next year and one in 2026 so I’m hopeful that things don’t change to much.

I have never seen anything remotely raunchy in any entertainment on any of my 60 cruises with Princess. Aside from some cruise directors who try a little to hard I cannot call anything about Princess to be hip

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have never seen anything remotely raunchy in any entertainment on any of my 60 cruises with Princess. Aside from some cruise directors who try a little to hard I cannot call anything about Princess to be hip

I felt the same way until a certain segment I saw late night in the Piazza and certain other events. I hope they were onetime events.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Globaler said:

they are trying to go big, going a little woke and some of the entertainment was raunchy (in the Piazza) on our last cruise on the Sun

tell us about that 'raunchy' please

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Globaler said:

I felt the same way until a certain segment I saw late night in the Piazza and certain other events. I hope they were onetime events.

aw, you can do better than that !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

Also on our transfer to Mykonos (Sun  cruise) on the bus (third party) very raunchy rap music blasted from the speakers. Had I had my grand kids on board I would have demanded a change.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

aw, you can do better than that !!

It was two shirtless guys laid out on the dance floor as part of a Princess segment.

Edited by Globaler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Globaler said:

It was two shirtless guys laid out on the dance floor as part of a Princess segment.

oh, you mean like that group of 600-700 'guys' that take over a ship a couple of time a year?

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

“We are Elite, so miss the benefits that were removed/scaled down.”

Yes, Sea Hag, I totally agree.  In the frequent member benefits department, Princess is REALLY deficient!  Elite free laundry is nice and discount for WiFi ( only for those who purchase it because they don’t have Plus or other package) is nice,  but the other things are really not worth a lot.  Very surprised at how meager the Elite level benefit is,  Certainly not enough to make me only stick to mainly Princess when cruising to rack up those points.  The company seems to  realize their member benefits aren’t that valuable….the recent promotion of “add Plus package for July - Dec 2024 sailings and get double credit” points to that. Sad that they are scaling down benefits rather than maintaining/ adding things of real value.

Edited by Thunderbird19
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Globaler said:

Also on our transfer to Mykonos (Sun  cruise) on the bus (third party) very raunchy rap music blasted from the speakers. Had I had my grand kids on board I would have demanded a change.

I don’t of any popular singer these days who don’t have some suggestive lyrics. Unless the kids are under 10 I am sure they have heard these things before

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Globaler said:

Sounds like something you can sea on the pool deck

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

We are Elite 35 cruises and only sail in a suite so get the laundry any way. We don’t drink so never buy the upsell packages. It annoys us that we don’t get saved seats in the theater when we pay for a suite ( Celebrity and NCL Haven). We love Princess but are confused by their choices. And we also brought our kids up cruising Princess. But they go on RCCL with their kids. They want more stuff. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We are Elite 35 cruises and only sail in a suite so get the laundry any way. We don’t drink so never buy the upsell packages. It annoys us that we don’t get saved seats in the theater when we pay for a suite ( Celebrity and NCL Haven). We love Princess but are confused by their choices. And we also brought our kids up cruising Princess. But they go on RCCL with their kids. They want more stuff. 

That is why there are different cruise lines. Those who want climbing walls, go car tracks, water parks etc go with lines like RCL. Those who love Disney World go on Disney cruises. Those of us who like a more sedate and relaxed atmosphere go wit Princess. Each to their own

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Globaler said:

In my opinion, they are trying to go big, going a little woke

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by 'woke'. 

We've been cruising Princess for 20 years. I've noticed lately their marketing is geared toward younger people. We've cruised 3 times in past few months, haven't noticed any huge shifts in the Princess product onboard.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I am trying to figure out what the 'story' was with two guys/persons lying on the floor.

How did that fit the narrative.  Or was it just their contribution to some kind of dance routine/performance.    (and, that still does not explain no shirts)

Just trying to gauge the whole thing, as some persons def. of raunchy might be more sensitive than others.  NO judgement.  : )

Not shooting the messenger!!!

I do believe, from all the recent feedback (not boarding again until later this year) that Princess is going thru an identity issue.

But, my bigger concern  ( MUCH bigger ) is how this corporation seems to be operating,  or the failures in operating, from the very top down.  All the way up to the top. Look at all of the changes over the last few years.  Look at the roll-out of this new ship.

We have. always enjoyed Princess, at a comfortable price point...  But slowly and surely, like incrementally increasing the temperature to boil something in a pot without it jumping out... Or, another analogy would be death by a thousand tiny cuts.   Princess has been doing away the the things that we have loved about Princess.    In all areas...  Food, Ambiance, Adult areas, etc... etc...  etc...  (While also being fair and noting that the food quality of most items and meals last time we were on Regal was very very good!)

Perhaps loyalist and cheerleaders adjust and do not see these things as I am seeing them...

Sometimes people are slow to see what they do not want to see.

But, did somebody just mention jumping ship????

• Like 5

Yes, I’m pretty happy cruising Princess. It still feels like home and in our experience they have the best staff. We cruised Celebrity because our friends did but I never felt comfortable. Too many sullen faces. And as much as I think the Haven is a great product the smoking and drinking  is overwhelming elsewhere on the ship.