Is Princess PLUS worth it for me personally?

4 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Was it obvious sharing of answers or using their cell phones to look things up?

Neither.

Sharing of drinks.

1 hour ago, dog said:

You can go in the personalizer and cancel the pre paid gratuities before you purchase the plus package.

That's interesting, not that I would do it.

As I read all of these posts, one thing to consider is the wifi.  What makes PLUS attractive to at least moderate drinkers is that it comes with wifi and tips.  We specifically do not want wifi on cruises--it helps us disconnect.  Since we don't drink very much, PLUS is a bad deal for us.  But for those that want wifi, the calculus is different.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, 555 said:

That's interesting, not that I would do it.

The gratuities are included in the plus- otherwise he will be paying for them twice., right?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Why not?  If you purchase the Plus package, gratuities are part of the package.

I interpreted the statement to mean, cancel the gratitude's that were paid by the package. 

5 minutes ago, JordanF said:

As I read all of these posts, one thing to consider is the wifi.  What makes PLUS attractive to at least moderate drinkers is that it comes with wifi and tips.  We specifically do not want wifi on cruises--it helps us disconnect.  Since we don't drink very much, PLUS is a bad deal for us.  But for those that want wifi, the calculus is different.

Also elite members get wifi at 50% off.

• Like 2

Just now, 555 said:

I interpreted the statement to mean, cancel the gratitude's that were paid by the package. 

You cannot do that; the package cannot be changed a la carte.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 555 said:

that's not possible .... is it?? 😈

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dog said:

The gratuities are included in the plus- otherwise he will be paying for them twice., right?

OK, now I get it. I have never prepaid gratitude's.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dog said:

Yep- and that's what they told me when I called. I got my reservation a bit differently than usual, so I HAD to pay the crew appreciation with the fare. But they told me to go ahead and purchase the Plus package, THEN they will credit my card back with the initial gratuity paid when I booked so I'm not paying that part twice. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Not on Sun. Everything, including drinks, are more expensive on Sun..

The prices I quoted, while estimates, are based off menus aboard..  Mocktails are definitely not $5 , they're running $10-15usd on Sun..

Drinks that are $12 or $13 on older ships are $15-17 on Sun, etc. 

Just one menu, for example:

FB_IMG_1722382890661.jpg

I am not talking about fancy mocktails with non-alcoholic alcohol in them. Enchanted also had fancy ones for more than $5.50. I mean strawberry daq, zero mojito, key west cooler...

image.thumb.jpeg.ed31892005d336175de7171ed5e241b9.jpeg

To consider whether a package is worth having, it depends on the individual and what they expect or want.  As a regular observer of Americans, particularly on cruises (I have visited the US over 100 times and spent over 4 years in that country they will deal with things differently.  I have taken many cruises, including 39 on Princess, but stopped counting at 85), I can believe that most of them take a package.  With the best will in the world, I think it is true to say that they do not think like other nationalities.  There is often a wish to express wealth and success visibly by outward displays.  Consequently, the inclusion in a package of a theatre reservation and flamboyant looking cocktails/desserts would be attractive to many as a demonstration of the view that that person had obtained a package and was therefore better than the rest.  As substantiation for this view, I have had American people remark on the lack of jewellery/watches (sorry jewelry) worn by myself and my wife as they appear to believe that people should wear all of their expensive possessions to go to the pool!  People in other parts of the world may see things differently.  It is possible that, as quoted, 75% of people on a cruise have a package but that is likely to be on short duration cruises in the US.  There is a difference between buying a package and having a package.  US travel agents sometimes arrange for a package which they either pay for then give to the customer or include within an overall cost which the customer does not realise is costing them money. I understand that many Americans do not have lengthy holidays (sorry, vacations) as some professions believe that to take more than a week or two a year is disloyal to the company.  Hence, they wish to have a bit of a blowout while cruising (and who can blame them).  Other nationalities may have a different view.  The standard vacations in Europe start at 4 weeks so maybe 2 or 3 cruises a year would take the ‘uniqueness’ of such a break away and it becomes more ‘normal’.   On longer cruises, generally taken by much older people, eschewing the packages could lead to a saving which equates to a good saving towards another cruise.  Well worth having.  My last 2 cruises have been 5 weeks long (back to backs) and the number of people with packages did not exceed 10 to 15% judging by overheard conversations between guests and wine waiters/bar staff.   You can, by the way, estimate how many Premier Plus packages there are by seeing how many seats are reserved in the theatre.  Why would someone not want a package?  Australians, for example, would have no wish to pre-pay gratuities as they are not charged anyway.  The price they pay always includes tips.  On that point, tips are not within the culture of many countries and, in some places, it is deemed offensive to offer a tip.  In my culture, tipping is reserved for exceptional service or a service charge of 12 to 15% levied in, say, a restaurant.  I know the US is different due to historical reasons about people once not being paid at all for their work.  I have no wish to reopen that debate but it is certainly possible to reduce or withdraw the auto charge which I have done on a number of occasions when service has been bad.  I have no wish to encourage Carnival in their quest to get me to pay the wages of their staff.  Not my problem.  As an Elite cruiser who owns Carnival stock, I can change the alcohol in my minibar for the beer I like, usually enough to last a 10 day cruise and I can get enough onboard credit to clear the tips.  I also get 50% reduction on wifi but prefer to be free of the burden of needing to know what is happening elsewhere.  I can’t change it so what’s the point?   The 2 free fitness classes are as much use to me as a chocolate skillet.  If you want to exercise, you don’t need to pay anyone, just an imagination and the inspiration.  I think it’s a bit weird that someone who is attracted by the free exercise classes would also be impressed by the offer to bring food and drink to anywhere on the ship (OceanNow/Room Service), so obviating the need to get up and get it yourself.  So, in summary, there are those who like to have packages and those who do not.  If you want to drink a lot, have tips paid and get the stuff that makes you feel special on top of what you would usually get, go for it.  If you don’t care about having lots of drinks or over the top desserts/cocktails and don’t want to know what the rest of the world is doing, save your cash for the next cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, barriedavis said:

To consider whether a package is worth having, it depends on the individual and what they expect or want.  As a regular observer of Americans, particularly on cruises (I have visited the US over 100 times and spent over 4 years in that country they will deal with things differently.  I have taken many cruises, including 39 on Princess, but stopped counting at 85), I can believe that most of them take a package.  With the best will in the world, I think it is true to say that they do not think like other nationalities.  There is often a wish to express wealth and success visibly by outward displays.  Consequently, the inclusion in a package of a theatre reservation and flamboyant looking cocktails/desserts would be attractive to many as a demonstration of the view that that person had obtained a package and was therefore better than the rest.  As substantiation for this view, I have had American people remark on the lack of jewellery/watches (sorry jewelry) worn by myself and my wife as they appear to believe that people should wear all of their expensive possessions to go to the pool!  People in other parts of the world may see things differently.  It is possible that, as quoted, 75% of people on a cruise have a package but that is likely to be on short duration cruises in the US.  There is a difference between buying a package and having a package.  US travel agents sometimes arrange for a package which they either pay for then give to the customer or include within an overall cost which the customer does not realise is costing them money. I understand that many Americans do not have lengthy holidays (sorry, vacations) as some professions believe that to take more than a week or two a year is disloyal to the company.  Hence, they wish to have a bit of a blowout while cruising (and who can blame them).  Other nationalities may have a different view.  The standard vacations in Europe start at 4 weeks so maybe 2 or 3 cruises a year would take the ‘uniqueness’ of such a break away and it becomes more ‘normal’.   On longer cruises, generally taken by much older people, eschewing the packages could lead to a saving which equates to a good saving towards another cruise.  Well worth having.  My last 2 cruises have been 5 weeks long (back to backs) and the number of people with packages did not exceed 10 to 15% judging by overheard conversations between guests and wine waiters/bar staff.   You can, by the way, estimate how many Premier Plus packages there are by seeing how many seats are reserved in the theatre.  Why would someone not want a package?  Australians, for example, would have no wish to pre-pay gratuities as they are not charged anyway.  The price they pay always includes tips.  On that point, tips are not within the culture of many countries and, in some places, it is deemed offensive to offer a tip.  In my culture, tipping is reserved for exceptional service or a service charge of 12 to 15% levied in, say, a restaurant.  I know the US is different due to historical reasons about people once not being paid at all for their work.  I have no wish to reopen that debate but it is certainly possible to reduce or withdraw the auto charge which I have done on a number of occasions when service has been bad.  I have no wish to encourage Carnival in their quest to get me to pay the wages of their staff.  Not my problem.  As an Elite cruiser who owns Carnival stock, I can change the alcohol in my minibar for the beer I like, usually enough to last a 10 day cruise and I can get enough onboard credit to clear the tips.  I also get 50% reduction on wifi but prefer to be free of the burden of needing to know what is happening elsewhere.  I can’t change it so what’s the point?   The 2 free fitness classes are as much use to me as a chocolate skillet.  If you want to exercise, you don’t need to pay anyone, just an imagination and the inspiration.  I think it’s a bit weird that someone who is attracted by the free exercise classes would also be impressed by the offer to bring food and drink to anywhere on the ship (OceanNow/Room Service), so obviating the need to get up and get it yourself.  So, in summary, there are those who like to have packages and those who do not.  If you want to drink a lot, have tips paid and get the stuff that makes you feel special on top of what you would usually get, go for it.  If you don’t care about having lots of drinks or over the top desserts/cocktails and don’t want to know what the rest of the world is doing, save your cash for the next cruise. 

You are judging an entire country by the few people you have met.  We appreciate the reserved theater seats because my husband only has one working lung.  He cannot walk the theater looking for a seat.  He cannot stand at the back while I walk the theater looking for a seat.  We are not saying we can spend more money than you.  We are saying we buy the package to make his life easier.  There is so much in this world he cannot do.  Why not spend a little extra money so he can do some things.  He cannot use the exercise classes because he only has one working lung.  He does not like sweets so never eats dessert.  I would never live without wifi.  That is how we communicate with our family.  We consume an average of 10 bottles of water a day.  My husband drinks red bull constantly to give him energy.  I appreciate someone delivering these to our stateroom.  I also appreciate not having to haul them onboard.  I wear a wedding ring.  I feel costly jewelry is a waste of money.  Maybe the money I have saved not wasting it on jewelry I can afford a package.  Other people's jewelry does not impress me.  Our longest cruise to date was 140 days.  So, to us, cruising is "normal".  I promise to not judge the rest of England based on your opinion.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

Interesting comments on both sides.  

We have just booked Princess after almost 20 years away.  We went with the plus because we won’t have any repeaters perks and are not in a suite. By the time we paid for gratuity and internet it only takes a couple of drinks and bottled water to make it “worth it”.  

We do have a ton of OBC which we can use for excursions right?  Can those be purchased ahead of time with OBC? 

2 hours ago, HotRoot said:

You are judging an entire country by the few people you have met.  We appreciate the reserved theater seats because my husband only has one working lung.  He cannot walk the theater looking for a seat.  He cannot stand at the back while I walk the theater looking for a seat.  We are not saying we can spend more money than you.  We are saying we buy the package to make his life easier.  There is so much in this world he cannot do.  Why not spend a little extra money so he can do some things.  He cannot use the exercise classes because he only has one working lung.  He does not like sweets so never eats dessert.  I would never live without wifi.  That is how we communicate with our family.  We consume an average of 10 bottles of water a day.  My husband drinks red bull constantly to give him energy.  I appreciate someone delivering these to our stateroom.  I also appreciate not having to haul them onboard.  I wear a wedding ring.  I feel costly jewelry is a waste of money.  Maybe the money I have saved not wasting it on jewelry I can afford a package.  Other people's jewelry does not impress me.  Our longest cruise to date was 140 days.  So, to us, cruising is "normal".  I promise to not judge the rest of England based on your opinion.

Your post is much more polite than the response I had drafted to the TL;DR mess in Post #68

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I am not talking about fancy mocktails with non-alcoholic alcohol in them. Enchanted also had fancy ones for more than $5.50. I mean strawberry daq, zero mojito, key west cooler...

image.thumb.jpeg.ed31892005d336175de7171ed5e241b9.jpeg

It's like you (purposely?) missed/glossed right over the part where I noted that menus and pricing on Sun is different than the rest of the fleet - drinks, dining, etc.  But, that's cool.

Yes - O'Malley's bar menu is different.  Less drink options, etc. Pricing for booze drinks is similar.  The Sun menu doesn't have  non-alcoholic options.  But cool - you do you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Interesting comments on both sides.  

We have just booked Princess after almost 20 years away.  We went with the plus because we won’t have any repeaters perks and are not in a suite. By the time we paid for gratuity and internet it only takes a couple of drinks and bottled water to make it “worth it”.  

We do have a ton of OBC which we can use for excursions right?  Can those be purchased ahead of time with OBC? 

in that case, I would have used OBC to purchase Plus when you are onboard.

2 hours ago, reedprincess said:

It's like you (purposely?) missed/glossed right over the part where I noted that menus and pricing on Sun is different than the rest of the fleet - drinks, dining, etc.  But, that's cool.

no, beer price is the same on Enchanted. So, I made an assumption that these are premium mocktails that cost more. After all, I don't see the regular mocktails on your menu, so it's not apples to apples comparison.

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

in that case, I would have used OBC to purchase Plus when you are onboard.

I’m assuming I can use all that OBC to purchase shore excursions. Correct me if I’m wrong though.  It will pretty much make the cruise “all  inclusive”. We have 8 days in ports. 

Princess is running a promotion that will double your cruise credit if you purchase Plus or Premier at least two days before your cruise. I did not have Plus for a 16-day cruise and ended up spending less than $80 for drinks. I had my Elite minibar beverages and brought on a couple of bottles of wine.

When I had Plus last month, it was nice not to worry about how things would add up. I kept a spreadsheet of my drinks and other things. It added up to around $100 per day versus the $60 a day I paid for Plus. I drank some alcoholic beverages, but I don't drink coffee. I did have some premium hot tea. San Pelligrino, btw, was $4.13 per bottle. Perrier was $3.54. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Ok, So I don't drink, wife does. We need wifi to communicate with the kid back home. I'll drink plenty of red bulls, mocktails and sparkling waters. Wife will have a few wines and margaritas. Sounds like for us, it'll be worth it. We were going back and forth, but I think this thread got me sold.  We DID pre-pay the gratuity, so from what I heard, they will charge us the full price for the Plus, then refund us the Crew appreciation from booking. 

Go on princess.com and under crew appreciation click cancel gratuities since you got the package and they will credit you back on the card you used fairly quickly.  Easy/peasy have done it myself when I have added a package. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cruisintimer said:

Go on princess.com and under crew appreciation click cancel gratuities since you got the package and they will credit you back on the card you used fairly quickly.  Easy/peasy have done it myself when I have added a package. 

In fact, I think you have to cancel pre-purchased gratuities (and wifi and beverage package if they've been pre-purchased) before the Princess website will permit the purchase of Princess Plus or Premium.