First Oceania cruise

NJ Gal

23 minutes ago, Kay S said:

You mean I have to wait until AFTER my first O cruise to self-delacre my expertise?  😝 

Not at all. I really hope you will share your experiences.  

If you wish to declare yourself an expert, go right ahead.  

Terri

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

How many of these days are post-COVID, after O restarted around 10/2021? So much has happened since then. So many changes. Including to their ships.

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

How many of these days are post-COVID, after O restarted around 10/2021? So much has happened since then. So many changes. Including to their ships.

126  Is that enough?

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

We're booked on Allura for the same reason - sailing in and out of Miami so NO flying!!!

We booked Concierge because of access to the beautiful spa terrace which I know we'll enjoy in the Caribbean. Look at the amenities that are offered and choose a cabin level that suits your needs.

We were on Vista last year for her first TA and are well aware of the "newly built" construction noises that we'll probably experience again on Allura. We even had an engineer come to our cabin who assured us that all the noises we heard during the night were "normal" for a new ship so don't be surprised if you hear some strange sounds.

If you are using a travel agent who offers refundable shipboard credit, make sure you understand the difference between that and Simply More shore excursion credit and any other NON refundable credit offered by Oceania.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise. Nearly 20 years later, we still enjoy experiencing what Oceania has to offer.

i hope you are happy with the storage space in the Concierge stateroom.  On the Vista the drawer space was quite limited.  Last November we booked the last room on the Vista and we had to take an A1 and was surprised at the limited storage space.  

I hope Oceania has made some adjustments on the Allura. Hope to meet you on the Nautica in NOvember.

Terri

11 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

i hope you are happy with the storage space in the Concierge stateroom.  On the Vista the drawer space was quite limited.  Last November we booked the last room on the Vista and we had to take an A1 and was surprised at the limited storage space.  

I hope Oceania has made some adjustments on the Allura. Hope to meet you on the Nautica in NOvember.

Terri

We were OK with the storage space on Vista and I may be one of the few who is satisfied with the corner drawers for smalls in the bathroom. Overall, I'm thrilled that the closet is in the hall and not next to the bed!

Definitely will make plans to meet. Ironically, we met a couple from Toronto on last month's Aegean cruise that will be on board as well. See you soon.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

We were OK with the storage space on Vista and I may be one of the few who is satisfied with the corner drawers for smalls in the bathroom. Overall, I'm thrilled that the closet is in the hall and not next to the bed!

Definitely will make plans to meet. Ironically, we met a couple from Toronto on last month's Aegean cruise that will be on board as well. See you soon.

Looking forward to meeting you. We are driving to Miami and staying there for three days prior to the cruise.  If you are arriving early perhaps we can get together then as well.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

17 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good to know, since the 215-night number included 86 nights pre-COVID.

We many only have 40 nights since COVID but will be adding 22 more nights starting 8/28. And our current experience includes 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024.

39 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Good to know, since the 215-night number included 86 nights pre-COVID.

We many only have 40 nights since COVID but will be adding 22 more nights starting 8/28. And our current experience includes 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024.

Check your math.  The number is 89.

• Haha 9

We are taking our first Oceania cruise out of Boston next month.   We have taken lots of cruises on the small ships of RCI and Nowegian, so we are looking forward to this step up.  We booked a concierge cabin, and have Simply More, but can't seem to find what they mean by champagne, wine and more.  What is the more ?   Also specialty dining is it unlimited or what ?   Shore excursions, we will be in Bermuda and have been there many times but may try an excursion if they are included. 

I tried researching the details of this promotion without luck.  Perhaps someone who has been on Oceania can explain. 

17 minutes ago, JCMass. said:

We are taking our first Oceania cruise out of Boston next month.   We have taken lots of cruises on the small ships of RCI and Nowegian, so we are looking forward to this step up.  We booked a concierge cabin, and have Simply More, but can't seem to find what they mean by champagne, wine and more.  What is the more ?   Also specialty dining is it unlimited or what ?   Shore excursions, we will be in Bermuda and have been there many times but may try an excursion if they are included. 

I tried researching the details of this promotion without luck.  Perhaps someone who has been on Oceania can explain. 

Here are some links to info:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value
Click on Beverage Packages and read House Select

https://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_24_menus.htm

Go to the main bar menu to get an example of what may be available with lunch and dinner...wines by the glass, champagne/sparkling, and beer.

Specialty dining info:

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/360000489993-Before-You-Go

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JCMass. said:

There is also Beer and Port. All are available at any Lunch and Dinner venue. Depending on the length of the cruise and your cabin/suite will impact the number of specialty reservations you will be able to make.

1 hour ago, SATaxman said:

There is also Beer and Port. All are available at any Lunch and Dinner venue. Depending on the length of the cruise and your cabin/suite will impact the number of specialty reservations you will be able to make.

Thank you that is very helpful. 

On 8/7/2024 at 10:33 AM, Cruzin Terri said:

And then there are those who have to brag that they are on the best stateroom on the ship.  

Not just on O.....read other boards and you'll hear it over and over from some cruisers.

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2024 at 7:45 PM, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Is the Nautica drawer space larger than Vista?  I know it's an older ship but is it totally refurbed?  Was A1 a disappointment to you?  Never sailed on O, several on other lines, and would like to take our '1st' on O and thought of Marina for itinerary (which I'm reading is the only O ship not refurbished).

Edited by Oceangoer2

7 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Not just on O.....read other boards and you'll hear it over and over from some cruisers.

For us one of the "best" things about O is the sense of "we're all on one cruise together" when we're all in the same pool, same elevator, same restaurant, same specialty restaurant, Same fitness area, same theatre, same bar, etc. I remember smiling to myself how we were all "one" as we crammed into the elevators on Riviera in 12/2021, shortly after O restarted after COVID. No masks. They paid for and did the pre-cruise testing in the tent by Terminal J. So, we were supposed to be safe. Thankfully, it worked. We worked. All 719 of us

Any cabin you can afford within your budget is right for you on O. Done B2, B3, A4, A3 on Sirena & Riviera. Going to experience both an F and a C1 on Sirena soon.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Is the Nautica drawer space larger than Vista?  I know it's an older ship but is it totally refurbed?  Was A1 a disappointment to you?  Never sailed on O, several on other lines, and would like to take our '1st' on O and thought of Marina for itinerary (which I'm reading is the only O ship not refurbished).

I've always thought the storage on the R ships is pretty well designed. Then again, we don't bring excessive amounts of stuff. For anything less than 10 days we do Carry-ons and backpack. For anything more, we will add one or two large suitcases, depending on length of cruise. I have seen other couples when boarding/disembarking that will have two large cases each plus a carryon each and personal items. I can understand why they need a porter to help with their luggage. I can see why someone with a lot of stuff would think there's not enough storage. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ORV said:

I've always thought the storage on the R ships is pretty well designed. Then again, we don't bring excessive amounts of stuff. For anything less than 10 days we do Carry-ons and backpack. For anything more, we will add one or two large suitcases, depending on length of cruise. I have seen other couples when boarding/disembarking that will have two large cases each plus a carryon each and personal items. I can understand why they need a porter to help with their luggage. I can see why someone with a lot of stuff would think there's not enough storage. 

I would agree! If international air isn't involved we tend massively overpack and have no issues stashing our things away in the R class.  Those ships might be old, and have tiny bathrooms, but they are very well designed!

Our only grip with the R class is one minor change they did after the renovation to the Interior Cabins.  The cabinet door under the tv used to swing towards the mirror, now it swings out.  We use to just leave it open and have stuff on the counter.  now we can't use the counter infant of the door if we intend to use the cabinet.  

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I do not know about the concierge/veranda cabins on the Nautica because I have only stayed in a PH (I am not bragging) on the Nautica.  However on the Vista I have stayed in both and i can tell you that the Concierge/Veranda drawer space is quite limited.  

I have read that the Vista will be the ship that will be used for the ATW in 2026.  I cannot imagine how anyone staying in any cabin other than a PH will be able to manage with the storage space provided, unless they add cabinets for that lengthy cruise.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I am aware of that.  There was a lady on the HAL Board who prefaced each post (and there were many) that she always stayed in a suite.  it got old fast.

Terri

• Like 1

My $0.02 from our experiences on O, in all classes of staterooms. Not bragging, just sharing we have done 35 days on Insignia in a Veranda room on a ATW segment and 46 days on Riviera when she restarted operations after Covid. We have not had to worry about storage space because we have used our suitcases for extra storage and they all fit under the bed. While there is a bed frame that could restrict a thicker bag, I find that I can lift up the bed and easily place up to 4 bags underneath. Your Room Steward can also do this for you if you ask. If we have warm and colder weather clothes, the under bed bag storage works perfect. Also, the under bed suitcases are a great place to store “Gifts” too. 
Bottom line for us, if we can pack it in a 25” suitcase and a 20” carry on, everything fits in our stateroom. Hopefully this can be a little bit reassuring for those travelers who are experiencing travel packing anxiety. Consider some of the hanging shoe bags that can accommodate more than shoes, check Amazon and other CC posts. 
Just enjoy a wonderful experience. 
Mauibabes

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ORV said:

LOL We are the people with 2 large, 2 overhead bin bags, two carryons. We have, and are able to, shlep them ourselves if necessary. Happy to have help when available. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

LOL We are the people with 2 large, 2 overhead bin bags, two carryons. We have, and are able to, shlep them ourselves if necessary. Happy to have help when available. 

Wheeled cases have been our saviour!  no concerns except when lifting them onto the weigh scale at the airport....😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have stayed in a concierge verandah on all 3 size ships and did find the drawer space on Vista was lacking in the main room but enjoyed the new drawer/cupboard in the bath.  We used this for our underwear, socks, etc. and found that quite handy for dressing after showering.  We did like not having the hanging closet next to the bed.  We are back on refurbished Riviera this Fall and will compare with our cabin on Vista - both A1.