Pricing Appears Up........for 2008/09

I agree the prices are much higher than last Spring when they offered the same cruises for initial booking. We are booked in an E2 and an E1 for the August 3, 2007 sailing of Explorer for Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean. I booked those 2 cabins May 1, 2006 - the E2 for my husband and myself and the E1 for our 3 sons. The price difference for about the same time frame next summer is at least $1500 more for the exact same cabins. That is a large increase! Plus, they didn't change the itinerary for the Caribbean for next summer. I would have booked a Western Caribbean route as we have done some of these islands twice recently and would like something new. I also wonder if that many New England and Canada cruises are really going to draw many passengers. I remember When Voyager did alternating 5 night Canada cruises with the 9 night Caribbean cruises. I seem to remember quite a few people who weren't thrilled with the weather in Canada during the summer. To have both GRandeur and Explorer going to Canada and New England for almost 1/2 of their 9 night summer cruises doesn't make sense as well as both of them going to the Eastern Caribbean. I'll be waiting for the MAriner, Freedom and Liberty itineraries to open next week. I am hoping that there is something good with reasonable prices.

Mary Anne

I haven't been watching a lot of the prices...but we feel we got a GREAT deal for a 2008 European cruise. It's a 10-day out of Venice going to Lisbon. We have an aft balcony for $1,500 per person. Mind you, this IS taking the Platinum balcony credit into account.

The cruise is on the Splendour...so it's an older ship, but we love the itinerary. It's also later in the year...November. There is a great mix of sea days and port days stopping in Dubrovnik, Santorini, Tunis, Malaga, Marrakech, and ending in Lisbon.

I felt like it was a steal! We have my mom coming along too...she's in an inside cabin for less than $1,000.

The reason they send so many ships to Europe next year is that they know where to make good money. The prices in the Caribbean are so low compared with Europe.

I`m glad they start offering four and five night cruises out of Barcelona!:)

I think it will be a popular market. We are on the West Coast of the United States. 4 to 5 day cruises out of Barcelona might be popular for people that are already in Spain/Europe. 4 to 5 day cruises to Bermuda might be popular for people on the East Coast.

For people in California, it is really not an economical use of air fare dollars and vacation time to fly that far for a 4-5 day cruise, and then to fly all the way back. We are sort of the poor orphans of cruises and ships out here. :)

You guys on the left coast currently have a bad deal. With the new ships coming on line, maybe one of the Radiance class ships will find their way west soon. We would love to take a west coast Mexican cruise, but want at least a Radiance class ship. Almost like you, we don't wanna fly that distance from the east for a Vision/Sovereign class ship, when we have Diamond privileges. We loved the Majesty and Grandeur here in the east, however it is very convenient. Best of luck to all of us. Oh, Happy Easter greetings!

I'm with you masterbaker!!! :( I was ready to book an extended family cruise to Bermuda yesterday, with six cabins. That was until we found out it was only for 5 nights. :eek: We all are very disappointed with RCCL too!!! :mad:

The Explorer can't fit in Hamilton or St. John. It can only dock at Kings wharf. The Empress can fit and the Celebrity Journey can which is new to the Celebrity line and it will do the 7 night out of Bayonne but it is more of a luxury ship so prices up. Well not really after seeing the new RCCL prices its not much different! :o So RCCL/Celebrity still provides the 7 night Bermuda with the Journey and the Empress for this fall although the Empress will be gone next spring leaving only the Journey.

I agree, prices are up, although Adventure now is down, way down and I cant figure it ???. I booked over Easter 2008, JS for three at $3089 with CA discount. Does anyone know why the price drop on AOS ?

The only thing I can think of and it's been said before, a lot of people will not sail on holiday cruises or spring break time cruises because too many kids. If you have kids great, if you don't, chances are you do not want to cruise during that time. :o Maybe a lot of families are not cruising and they are trying to get rid of the cabins. Easter is also early in 2008 being in March and that could make a difference too for some people's schedules

Well time will tell if there is a bright spot...........but for the consumer......I'm not sure a 20% increase in one year is very bright:) but as a stockholder it is very bright:D

Panama Canal cruises are way up to compared to what we paid a few years ago also. :eek:

Would love to take that cruise again but not at those prices.

We were planning on booking a full transit next year.... but when we looked at the prices we decided not to go at the current price.

I told DH one of us would need to get a job to be able to afford to cruise at those prices. :rolleyes:

We booked a 12 night Oct. 2008 Med cruise for not much more (~$300 more pp) than our 12 night Oct. 2004 Med cruise. We booked the same class of balcony cabin (E2). I did notice that the same itinerary in June and July was $1000 more per person. So I guess if people want to do a European cruise they need to go off season. We found that the weather in Oct. was beautiful with rain only in Rome and on the last sea day on the way back to Barcelona. Airfare is usually cheaper than also.

Julie

Well time will tell if there is a bright spot...........but for the consumer......I'm not sure a 20% increase in one year is very bright:) but as a stockholder it is very bright:D

A 20% price increase alone won't do it for the shareholders. They better hope for a revenue increase. If they knock budget cruisers out of the market, these ships won't be sailing full.

A 20% price increase alone won't do it for the shareholders. They better hope for a revenue increase. If they knock budget cruisers out of the market, these ships won't be sailing full.

Interesting point........not sure if I agree or not.........but interesting and certainly worth considering. I'm not sure RC would say they are after the budget cruiser........or even trying to eliminate the budget cruiser. I think the increases reflect the suppressed prices since 2001.......the revenue increase will follow as well.........overtime anyway........

Jimbo

I just checked and the Radiance repo for fall of 2008 is 27% more for a jr. suite for the Panama Canal cruise than what we paid in the fall of 06.......:eek:

Wow, that's a MEGA increase...we did the Serenade's repo in October of '05...I'll have to dig out those old docs and see what it was then. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of alternatives once you become a cruise addict...none of the seven step plans to healing seem appealing!!!:D I'll bet they've raised the lifeboat prices, too!!! LOL:rolleyes:

While it depends on itinerary...........it appears to me the cruises that have been released so far are up in price. Our 9 night Canada/New England cruise on the Granduer this September is up 19% over what we paid for a jr. suite and it is out of Norfolk.

Anyone else noticing the pricing? Again it depends on itinerary.......and of course not all cruises have been released........but those that have look up to me and some of them significantly.

Those people booking a cruise from a longer distance port are going to pay more for the cruise because the ship's have to steam harder to get there in an appropriate amount of time. Running the engines harder burns fuel faster and with Crude oil prices going up again this is what is going to happen. Pick a port closer to your destination and the prices will be lower.

Those people booking a cruise from a longer distance port are going to pay more for the cruise because the ship's have to steam harder to get there in an appropriate amount of time. Running the engines harder burns fuel faster and with Crude oil prices going up again this is what is going to happen. Pick a port closer to your destination and the prices will be lower.

Unfortunately, unless RC is sailing out of Tulsa next year.......that isn't likely.......and early research indicates it makes no difference what port you sail out of........prices are up.......and many who have taken the time to research this are finding this out..........(not all mind you)

I have a question.....Why are the prices for the Eastbound Panama Canal itineraries so much ($200 p/p or so) higher than the Westbound itineraries? Any ideas?:)

In any case we just booked W/B for good cabin selection.

We would much prefer westbound, as you GAIN hours instead

of losing them. Enjoy!

I'm confused here...........how can a port closer to your destination lower prices?

I'm confused here...........how can a port closer to your destination lower prices?

I guess the theory Patti.......is if you sail out of San Juan for a Caribbean cruise vs. Ft. Lauderdale it should be cheaper.........:) So far in random price checking on the new prices I haven't found that to be totally accurate.........JMO of course;)

I guess the theory Patti.......is if you sail out of San Juan for a Caribbean cruise vs. Ft. Lauderdale it should be cheaper.........:) So far in random price checking on the new prices I haven't found that to be totally accurate.........JMO of course;)

OK, if you say so.:confused::(

When I called RCL to book Alaska 08 today( as this was the day it was supposed to be released) I was told the release of Alaska 08 has been delayed due to changes by the revenue department.!! (Whatever that means)

I think what I will do is book the cruise and stateroom I want and see what happens to pricing over the next year. If it does not adjust we will make other plans. I do not plan to give them 50% plus increase for a cruise in 2008 over this years prices.

When I called RCL to book Alaska 08 today( as this was the day it was supposed to be released) I was told the release of Alaska 08 has been delayed due to changes by the revenue department.!! (Whatever that means).

Means they have to add another zero to the end of the prices they have..;)

Archived