What Kind Of Luggage Do You Use?

RevNeal

What kinds of luggage do you take with you?

Allow me to elaborate. Do you bring a regular suit case and a garment bag per person, or two regular suit cases, or two garment bags ... or just one bag per person and a garment bag between two of you?

Is there any brand of luggage you would recommend? Is there any brand/kind of luggage you would avoid "at all costs?"

Thanks for your consideration of these questions. I'm in the process of thinking about a new bag or two ... your suggestions???

We use Samsonite Oyster cases. I know they are heavy but many years ago our luggage somehow got wet when it was being moved from one plane to another and when we arrived at our destination, all the precious tissue paper etc. to stop creasing was wet as well as our clothes. We decided then to use Samsonite hard cases and since 1993 have being using the same ones. We have the large 26" or is it 28" cases with the hangers that go into the roof of the case.

It means that when we arrive at our destination, our clothes are ready to hang and the t. shirts, jumpers, lingerie etc are in their respective zip up bags. They also do not crease. We have one Samonsite roll on carry bag each and if we are cruising my DH carries his dinner suit in a garment bag. That is it together with a large handbag that I carry which has our tickets, passports etc in.

Coming from 'down under' we are only allowed one suitcase each and if we are in Economy it can be no heavier than 20kg and if we are in Business Class no heavier than 30kg. so we are experts at packing and taking the right amount of clothes.

Jennie

I just use a single suitcase. I have recently bought one which is branded by Victorinox (the makers of the "Swiss army" penknives) though not made by them, which is proving to be useful and versatile. It's a wheeled case with a pull handle of a very ergonomic design - in fact, it's so good that in airports it's actually easier to pull the suitcase using its handle and wheels than to put it onto a trolley/cart. The inside of the lid folds out three times to make a space for packing clothes on hangers, which simply hook onto a strap loop. This makes packing formal clothes, and any other shirts and trousers, simplicity itself. There is ample room in the body of the case for all the rest.

For a one week cruise, I generally reckon that the case will end up weighing between 15 kg and 20 kg unless I have gone overboard with reading material, so I am well within trans-Atlantic economy class baggage allowances (2 pieces at 32 kg each). It does entertain me a bit to see other people struggling with three or four times as much luggage for the same cruise! This approach to packing also means that I can pack for a one week cruise, from a standing start, in about 30 minutes - and I am frequently having to demonstrate this out of necessity.

One other thing that I do: I pack a small bag inside the suitcase - often no more than a big plastic carrier bag. Before boarding the ship, I take out of the suitcase some of the things I will want immediately (like gym kit, swimming trunks, shorts, T-shirt and sandals) and carry that on together with my cabin baggage backpack which generally has all the equipment. I am not then fretting about when the suitcase gets delivered, because I already have all the things I want.

I just use a single suitcase. I have recently bought one which is branded by Victorinox (the makers of the "Swiss army" penknives) though not made by them, which is proving to be useful and versatile.

This is exactly the suitcase that my daughter bought in Boulder, CO, after Air Canada poured oil or something all over her piece of luggage. She has loaned it to me a couple of times, and I think it is great. However, being a woman, I also take a smaller piece of Samsonite soft-sided luggage that I can sit on top, put the handles over the long handle of the Victorinox and it's very easy for me to handle. DH, says "you pack you, you look after it." :(

I love the fold-out garment bag inside as then I can hang my gowns on hangers, hook them in and just take them out and they are ready to hang in the closet.

Great suitcase.

I can't believe how much "stuff" I take on a cruise. Even after 25 years of cruising.....

I have four pieces of Samsonite soft sided luggage. For our three week British Isles cruise and land package I took three of the four bags. I'm glad I had the third bag as it held the jacket, sweaters, warm up suit, sweatshirt and gloves.

I also line each bag with a large green garbage bag (top and bottom). I put clothes in the bags. I learned my lesson about that years ago in Jamaica. Our luggage sat outside at the airport in the rain for about 30 minutes. You can imagine the mess we found. Fortunately, we were able to get some items washed and dried that evening at our hotel and the rest had to be done aboard ship.

I'm short and have trouble pulling the large, hard sided cases. They are also too heavy for me to handle when full. I try to be responsible for my luggage as DH shouldn't have to carry his and mine, too.

On a seven day cruise I will take one garment bag and one smaller rolling bag.

I'll take two pieces and the carry on for our ten day Canada/New England cruise. We'll watch the weather forecasts to see just how many "cold weather" clothes we will need.

I bought the Samsonite on sale from e-Bags.

I had been on the marriott.com site and there was a link to e-bags. By using the Marriott link I saved an extra 20% on the set that I ordered. I was thrilled.

DH has a Samsonite garment bag that he has had for about six years. He says when he has to get rid of it he will buy the newer version of the same bag.

My husband and I take 3 bags whether it's a 7 day cruise or an 15 day cruise. One rolling bag per person and a shared garment bag (rolling as well). I like the Atlantic and Samsonite brands.

RevNeal, did you get your docs yet? I think you're sailing is a few days before ours.

Hi Rev:) good morning.....I use one suitcase and one carry-on....as its only me cruising, they are all I need. My large one is a Samsonite that I have had for quite a few years, thankfully it is on wheels;) ....my smaller one is "Jaguar"....and that is just a coincidence with the name being that of my home NFL team:D It is on wheels also!

Oh I have another bag....I did use it for my cruise on the Mercury...I flew to San Francisco for that one and brought a 3rd bag. It is smaller than my regular carry on.....and its soft. I took that one with me on the plane and checked the other 2. I forget the brand...but its wonderful for me...and it was on the "clearance rack" at Target.:) It is sort of the same shape as a duffel bag..but smaller and just right for me!

Again though, I usually only take 2 pieces..the 3rd one was a bit unusual for me....

next month when I sail from FLL I will only be taking the "regular 2"!

My parents bought a complete set of that hard sided Samsonite luggage the poster above mentioned about 20 years ago It has been the best investment ever.

Between family and friends using it, it has been around the world on planes, trains, ships,buses and automobiles and has held up beautifully.

The last cruise GF and I took we used her suitcase which is a large steamer trunk looking thing on wheels. Which handled both our clothes beautifully, plus a garment bag for my suit and her formal night dress, and a carry on a piece for toiletries and an energency change of clothes.

Vicar...oops...I was wrong about my brand LOL....It is American Tourister:rolleyes: :D I remember this little red, white and blue tag on it:)

They are both good brands though;)

LOIS

Oh yea they both are good

You can't kill those old hard sided ones (not sure if they still make them, haven't luggage shopped in a while)

Everyone borrows my moms cause they are very roomy and tough, although a little heavy.

GFs big suit case is a TUMI, softsided, but very sturdy construction and that served us very well too.

As we are usually on 14 day or more cruises we take 2 large rolling garment bags which holds everything on hangers...so easy to pack and unpack..and 1 26in. soft side. We have 3 of the hardside Samsonite pieces but found them to weigh too much with the new airline restrictions. We had always bought Samsonite or Atlantic and have purchased from ebags.com and had great service from them.

I used to use black bags then changed to red, (along with everyone else I think!) now I have just bought 2 in cadet blue. We also each have a rolling carryon bag......jean :cool:

We use the soft sided luggage and ALWAYS use a luggage strap. I have seen to many popped open bags on the baggage carosels !

My husband and I each take a large one(checked in) and a carry on. You have to be very careful now with the big bags because of the surcharges if they weigh to much. You are allowed 50lbs domestic and 70lbs international.

I travel a lot and there is a lot of wear and tear on the suitcases no matter which brand I get. Torn outside zippers and grease marks are very common. I replace my bags about every 3 years. If you have a Ross or Mashalls store near you, they are great for buying discounted luggage and they carry most brands.

There definitly are certain things I look for in a bag. The set I just bought is red which is a little easier to spot on the carosel. The bags have straps which allow them to be hooked together for easier rolling and the carryon size has a pouch on the side that holds a water bottle.

Last year I had a lock cut off by the TSA and put inside the bag with a note about not locking your luggage anymore. It was a little annoying because I could tell they had not gone through my things, it was just a power trip. After that I bought special TSA locks. They look like regular combination locks but have a little indentation on them that TSA people can pop open with a special tool. They have a special insignia on them so they are easily recognizable . The store I bought them from said if one is ever cut off by mistake just return it to them and they will replace it. This sounded full proof. I traveled about a half dozen times with them with no problems until last week. I flew out of Oakland to Las Vegas. When I arrived my lock was gone. They must have removed it and forgot to put it back on. Now I am stuck putting in a claim with TSA for it. I will still continue to use that kind of lock.

Happy Traveling !

We usually take two carry on bags each, one with wheels and the other a backpack style, this way we are guarenteed arrival with our bags. Never had a problem.

Since we stay in an S catagory we have laundry and dry cleaning included so having enough has never been a problem.

We generally pack (and check) 3 bags. I used to use hard-sided ones, but found that they were both more expensive and didn't last any longer than soft-sided. Any of the major brands (Am. Tourister, Samsonite, etc. - currently we're using "Ricardo" while our carryons are all "TravelPro"). The 2 larger check-thrus have seperate "suit" compartments which hold a suit or jacket&trousers plus a couple of shirts tied down so well that after flying from San Francisco to Sydney they needed no touchup.

We also pack a large duffle/gym bag folded up so that, coming back, we can check 4 bags. Mrs. DAKrewser does like to shop!

We have a 27" soft-sided on rollers that we share, being careful to not exceed 50 pounds. We also each have a carryon. Both are expandable, so sometimes we'll check one of them. I've found that Samsonite bags just seem to last and look better longer than other brands. We usually get them on sale at eBags.

We now use 2 soft- sided rolling garmet bags and 2 soft-sided rolling suit cases. The garmet bags really hold a lot and keeps clothes well when packed with dry cleaner bags. We bring more than enough clothes, so someone that is sensible, might get along with just the rolling garmet bag.:cool: We also bring 1 carry-on that is used by both of us.

We also have the 27" rolling bags - we like Briggs and Riley, they've held up well. The only problem with the large bags is the tendency to go overweight.

We used to use our 30" upright rollers, but we don't anymore. They are always overweight. :)

We also have a huge Rolling Garment bag that holds formal clothes for us and our children. This size is hard to find, but worth the money, IMO.

With four of us traveling on a 10-day cruise, we can get by with 4 of the 27" bags, the large garment bag and a smaller rolling bag that can be carried on the plane if necessary. I usually use this to pack the clothes we need for overnight and embarkation so we don't have to open & dig through the big bags :)

akeka asked:

RevNeal, did you get your docs yet? I think you're sailing is a few days before ours.

Not yet ... but I'm not really expecting them until after the 25th of August. I've usually found that documentation arrives about 3 weeks to 1 month before departure -- at least, that's been my past experience. I don't know what will happen now that I'm also having the cruise line make my air travel arrangements; however, I got a fax regarding my air arrangements from HAL almost 3 weeks ago, so it should be possible for them to have my travel documents complete by now. :)

Who knows ... something may be sitting on my door step when I go home tonight!!! :) But ... I'll not hold my breath. I fully expect it to be September before I can join the document dance.

Wow ... I can't believe that the days are getting shorter. Less than 2 cruise-durations before departure! Yippie!

Each of us (there are 3 children in addition to my husband and myself) gets our own suitcase (rolling). Until recently we also brought garment bags but have since found that it is really unnecessary. Even the fanciest gowns are fine folded in half if they are in dry cleaner bags.

For Alaska or the Caribbean we would bring a large duffle for extra stuff- fins for the warm weather and extra warm, dry things for AK.

Greg: my DW & I each take two suitcases and a carry-on. We have had terrible luck with hardsided, wheeled suitcases-HAL handlers have knocked wheels off and have the suitcases have splits and cracks in them-these were Travelpro and we have been very disappointed in their lack of durability.

As a result, I switched over to softsided luggage and found the Sharper Image line on sale. I use a two suiter, expandable and a garment bag, both with wheels and retractable handles. They have held up extremely well and their color, sort of a taupe, makes them easy to spot either on a luggage carousel or at disembarkation.

I prefer softsided luggage due to it's lighter weight, durability, ability to expand, ability to be locked with cable ties, and the outside pockets for last minute additions.

My sister and I usually take 2 large Atlantic bags for a 7 day cruise and sometimes 3 for a 10-14 day cruise(the3rd being smaller). We have the kind with the place for hangers folded into the lid. We have discovered that this works well for us. We've learned to mix and match alot. i.e. one long skirt or pant with a couple of glittery tops. We just completed our 11th cruise in July and have finally learned that we never wear everything we take. We still overpack but not as much as we used to. With this kind of suitcase it's easier than striggling with garmentbags. Valerie

Archived