CP cruisers..what did you pay??

P.A.

I'm just curious. And I know so much comes into play here but.....for the Eastern Caribbean on 10/2/04, before taxes/fees/air fare, etc...what did you pay for your cruise? Really interested in those that booked for a balcony room, Category BE, like me. I paid $799 pp.

Just wondering how to get the best deal? We booked directly with Princess, NO TA, and we booked in May 04 and requested a certain cabin number. Just wondering if we got a good deal or what? And this is our first Princess cruise.

Comments??

I think you will find that the tropic of prices and how much one paid is sort of a taboo topic.

When I booked my upcoming cruise, I spent a few weeks shopping the internet looking for the best price. Basically the prices were very, very similar. I felt that the price was within my budget for three of us; so I booked the cruise. I probably could have saved 2% by booking with someone else I found out later.(in the form of a shipboard credit) No biggie!!

The mention of specific TAs is forbidden on the board, so it is difficult to offer any advice on finding the best price. I can only suggest that you read prior posts to pick up names and/or online agency sites to search for the best price. But, I will say the price you mention sounds about average, so you should rest easy.

We are on the 10/23 sailing and final pymt is in. It's our 9th cruise on princess. We have a cabin we love. What exactly are you looking for? If someone replied that you had overspent would you cancel now that you are in a serious penalty area? You would regret that forever..they are super experiences. To the best of my knowledge you have a price for a balcony that is great. I'm just confused as to why you are seeking reassurance in this area right now? Enjoy your cruise.... :confused:

P.A. - I understand where you are coming from. You are just curious. It's not going to change anything, but you just wonder if you got a great deal, good deal, or just an ok deal. I don't understand why people are afraid or don't want to mention what they paid. Sorry that my info. won't help you at all, but we are on the 9/18 sailing and we paid $509 (total-with all taxes and fees), for an inside cabin, I believe it's a KK category. Like I said, sorry that this doesn't help you out.

I'm just curious....Just wondering how to get the best deal?

Comments??

First of all, Welcome To Princess.

I think the first cruise is the best and bet you'll have a fabulous vacation on Princess.

As far as how to get the best deal goes you've taken a big step in visiting this board. No, you won't find specific travel agent recommendations here and you wouldn't want them if you could. Reason being, that friendly member who is offering you advice might also be a travel agent. In the vast majority of cases that would probably be just fine but just the outside chance that an unscrupulous agent might try to take advantage of your Internet friendship is reason enough to be cautious. It happens.

That said, you've asked some excellent questions and here's the beginning of an answer for you.

Finding a good TA is much like finding a good insurance salesman. Travel Agents are sales persons, make no mistake about it. If you can find one that will be an advocate for your travel needs that's great. But it IS common for them to attempt to "upsell" you into a higher cabin category, going on and on about the wonder of a balcony cabin if you have an outside cabin or a suite if you have a balcony.

There's nothing wrong with this commonly used sales tactic, it's even encouraged by the cruise lines.

Other travel agents might get you into some group booking space where they have said to the cruise line "Give us a bunch of cabins at a reduced rate and we will sell them". The cruise line in return says "Ok great, the more you sell the more goodies we will give you. You can make these goodies benefit your group by adding amenities or reducing fares or you can make these benefits benefit you with nearly free cabins or extra commissions".

One of the most important features of a good cruise travel agent is efficiency. You need the behind the scenes part of your booking to be handled correctly and on time. Attention to detail in this area is a must.

But you need to be your own advocate too.

You're doing that right now by coming here to learn about this stuff and gain valuable information that could make or break your cruise later.

To find a travel agent, much like finding an insurance salesman, you can look to professional organizations like the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA, http://www.cruising.org ) who helps train and certify cruise travel agents, awarding various levels of competency. Look for one that's at least a Master Cruise Counselor(MCC) (There's also an "Elite" designation). They've gone through training, attended seminars and toured various cruise ships to get a good understanding of what they need to know.

Another professional organization that is a good indicator that an agency is at least doing some business is The American Socisty of Travel Agents (ASTA, http://www.astanet.com), the members here have rigorous criteria to meet in order to join and maintain membership.

If you do an Internet search for travel agents remember that in many cases the listings you see first are sponsored meaning those people pay the search engine to be listed at the top of the list.

Word of mouth, of course, is one of the best sources of finding a good travel agent. Because recommending specific travel agents on an Internet based forum such as this is NOT the same as a recommendation from, say, your neighbor we don't allow it on Cruise Critic as mentioned above.

My point here is to find neutral, unbiased sources, ones with documentation to support their recommendations. If possible like your state attorney general or consumer affairs office can be good resources.

Personally, I think its important to develop a good business relationship with your travel professional, be that a agent you find from one of the professional organizations, a neighbors recommendation or, yes, even an attractive yellow pages ad.

Armed with the right information about agents and the knowledge to ask the right questions you'll fare much better than blindly accepting somebody's suggestion.

Before you contact that agent get an idea of what you want. Search online or send off for some cruise brochures. Read reviews and other first timer information here on cruise critic. Ask questions (there are NO dumb ones) and get answers from the members here.

THEN make that call

PA..the only point Chris skipped in his fantastic advice was future cruises. If you become as addicted as we have..simply visit the desk during your cruise. A $200 deposit charged to your credit card or paid in cash, enables you to select another cruise and receive shipboard credits. There is a two year window for this so no pressure on selecting anything instantly. It can be coupled with other perks offered by your agent or online agency. You simply can't loose using this because it is fully refundable should you decide not to cruise with Princess later on. Enjoy your first cruise..the memories you bring back are priceless.

There is a two year window for this so no pressure on selecting anything instantly.

Without trying to argue, I believe that you have 4 years in which to use your deposit, not 2. It really is a no brainer making that deposit for a future cruise. Once you dissembark the ship, it is really next to impossible to get the same deal.

general rule inside $399, outside $499, balcony $599. exceptions are how new is the ship and is it a holiday sailing.

As a general rule, I don't believe these prices include port and taxes. Also may be for last minute sailings, or during hurricane season. Or a line, other than Princess, RCI, or Celebrity. Certainly on an older ship! Or less than 7 days! In other words, I feel these are not the standard 7 day cruise prices! JMO! And I have cruised a bit, gotten some good deals, but not usually this cheap, generally! :) I wish they all were!!! :D

Yes it is 4 years.

We purchased one in 10/01 and it expires 11/04, so ours was three years. Just the fact that it's totally refundable so if you decide not to cruise during whatever the time frame is you can get your money back makes it a great no-risk deal.

The prices quoted are from a couple of years ago -- as Nita said: prices are higher now but for the exceptions she mentioned. And the 2005 prices are even higher! :eek: And you do have to remember to compare full costs, that is all admin fees, govt taxes, port fees, whatever is tacked on. My TA quotes the final figure, and I like that.

Chris,

Just wanted to say thank you for giving such great details to crusers. This is something most of us have wondered about when we first begin to take cruises and this cruiser is lucky to get such valuable information, early on. Pretty soon, he will feel like a pro and be giving advise to Jr. cruisers.

Carol

The prices quoted are from a couple of years ago -- as Nita said: prices are higher now but for the exceptions she mentioned. And the 2005 prices are even higher! :eek: And you do have to remember to compare full costs, that is all admin fees, govt taxes, port fees, whatever is tacked on. My TA quotes the final figure, and I like that.

Gloria, I think we have the same TA, as per prior mentions here! ;) I too, like the total figure quoted, as that is what I have to pay, and want to compare! And prices are going up for next year. My Alaska cruise next June, is expensive! :eek: I do get cheaper ones in between, but will pay more for a special itinerary! :D

I know you don't mention TA's but what about booking online with all of these crusie companies, is that safe? I could have got our rate $100 cheaper a person online but didn't feel safe doing so (it is our first cruise) so I went with our TA and she made a big mistake in our booking and didn't do ANYTHING to compensate. So now I feel I should have just booked online I probably would have been better off.

I think you got a decent rate. In the future you may want to check out online travel agencies, sometimes they offer good "on the side" discounts like cabin credit, bottles of wine, or $50 gift cards when you book by a certain credit card. But definitely give the online ta's a shot, sometimes they can be much cheaper.

I like to use only the online TAs that offer a name and telephone number so I can speak with them in person. Then for quick questions, email suffices. Since I would mainly do my business over the phone, it really doesn't make any difference if my TA is in, say, Ohio or California, or around the corner.

Nita, I think we have the same one, too. Did you catch my hint to you above?

Archived