$35 For Paper Tickets???

I received an e-mail yesterday that my edocs were ready to download. I called RCCL this morning to see if I could get paper documents so I would have the luggage tags and not have to worry about that at the pier. The person I talked to said "sure you can get paper documents but there is a $35 charge". No thanks! I've never gone a cruise before where I didn't have the luggage tags. I know it's probably not a big deal but I like to have everything ready. Wanda

I do not know if this is true or not but if it is it must be yet another cost cutting measure. I assume it must be expensive to produce those "document books".

That being said... I still want my hard copy documents and luggage tags. I wish they would just hide the $35 in the price of my cruise and never tell me! Ignorance is bliss!!!

Just like everything else, paper tickets have gone by the wayside! Remember when you booked a flight, and got a ticket holder with the actual ticket and boarding pass inside?

Now, it's "E" everything!

It'll take about 2 minutes to get your luggage tags at the pier.

You aren't charged the $35 fee for paper docs if you select to receive them that way from the beginning...

The charge comes in after the fact, as in, you selected to get them by e-mail but then change your mind and want them in paper... Or if you somehow lose them and they have to re-print or you want them close to sailing time...

Nowadays, I believe that it defaults to receive them via email and you must specifically choose to get them in the mail...

We've never been charged the fee because we select them by mail from the get-go...

You can always get luggage tags at the pier. The porters will have them readily available.

And the $35 fee is to reissue the documents. If you request documents by mail to begin with, there is no charge.

I received an e-mail yesterday that my edocs were ready to download. I called RCCL this morning to see if I could get paper documents so I would have the luggage tags and not have to worry about that at the pier. The person I talked to said "sure you can get paper documents but there is a $35 charge". No thanks! I've never gone a cruise before where I didn't have the luggage tags. I know it's probably not a big deal but I like to have everything ready. Wanda

I understand how you feel. The first time we had to get luggage tags at the pier I was a bit worried too. But, we've had to get them several times now and let me assure you, it's not a problem at all.

I have read here several times to take along a pen and address labels for the luggage tags. You really don't need any of that stuff, they have a sharpie at the porters desk and will fill them out for you. Your luggage will already (should already) have a tag with a contact address for you, no need to put it on the tag at the pier at all. I've even read where people will download their luggage tags, laminate them and attach them that way, unless you have time and money to burn as well as nothing better to do, go ahead with that scenario ;)

So relax, no worries, it's easy peasy. I barely use the cruise docs anymore, just our set-sail pass and the luggage tags if we get them. The rest of the docs are pretty much trash and I can certainly do without that!

Just like everything else, paper tickets have gone by the wayside! Remember when you booked a flight, and got a ticket holder with the actual ticket and boarding pass inside?

Now, it's "E" everything!

It'll take about 2 minutes to get your luggage tags at the pier.

Whats funny is when we booked airfare last year we had to get "e-tickets" or pay a fee for paper tickets. We then had to print out confirmations for the flights. When we get to the check in counter, they printed us off paper tickets for each flight. :confused: Just kinda silly if you ask me!

Count me among those who would be worried to rely exclusively on the porter to get all my luggage to me. Our January cruise this year we didn't get all the luggage tags on everything when we claimed our bags at the airport and the porter said he would do it. The only reason my DD's car seat wasn't lost was b/c I had our name and contact info on it. The porter hadn't put a luggage tag on! We also never got (and it was never in the 'unclaimed luggage' pile) a big jug of distilled water my DH had to be able to make saline for a medical purpose. Yes, every bag that looked like a suitcase made it to our room with a luggage tag on it. But that kind of sloppy, lack of attention to detail makes me nervous to trust the porters. We tipped heavily b/c I made it clear we needed a luggage tag on each of our 'unique' items and they still messed up. No thanks. I'll take paper tickets just so I get luggage tags.

If you need distilled water, the ship will provide it for you. Just get in touch with special services prior to your trip. Your cabin steward may need a reminder, but it's never been a problem for my husband who needs it for his CPAP.

I wouldn't care if I always got e-docs as long as they sent me luggage tags and any applicable transfers prior to the trip. I know I can get tags at the pier, but once I'm there, I want to get on the ship ASAP.

Whats funny is when we booked airfare last year we had to get "e-tickets" or pay a fee for paper tickets. We then had to print out confirmations for the flights. When we get to the check in counter, they printed us off paper tickets for each flight. :confused: Just kinda silly if you ask me!

Same here............weird isn't it?

I booked a cruise for my family of 7 (3 cabins) online with RCI. I paid for all of them and really wanted to keep track of all the reservations. My "kids"(21,23,27) were in the process of moving, graduating, etc, etc, so I figured I would like to have all the docs in hand and do the online check-in myself for our whole party. So I call RCI and requested that all the docs be sent to me, so they would all be in the same place.

No problem..they were all mailed to me without charge. So we have luggage tags, Bahama doc cards, etc.

Consider what has happened to the airlines. Almost all reservations are now made online with etickets being issued.

Actually, I never quite understood the fascination with paper tickets. Just more stuff to eventually toss into the garbage.

I don't thing the reps at RCI are really tuned into what the rules are. When I booked by phone, I was given the options of email, mail, or both for my docs. I chose both - no added charge. When I got the email that the docs were ready to download, I was unable to access my reservation online as we have multiple air cities (don't ask me what that means). After several calls, I was told my one rep that the docs were not ready, another that they would be mailed 30 days prior to cruise, and another that there was no reason I couldn't access them online. I finally had enough and put in another request to have them mailed - no mention of any charge, but no docs yet, either!

Unfortunately when I booked this cruise on line, I didn't realize you had the option to pick which way to receive your documents. I guess they automatically send edocs unless you check the box to have them mailed. I did go in and change it for my cruise next May so I get them mailed to me. I just like to have everything taken care of ahead of time. Oh well, live and learn.

You aren't charged the $35 fee for paper docs if you select to receive them that way from the beginning...

The charge comes in after the fact, as in, you selected to get them by e-mail but then change your mind and want them in paper... Or if you somehow lose them and they have to re-print or you want them close to sailing time...

Nowadays, I believe that it defaults to receive them via email and you must specifically choose to get them in the mail...

We've never been charged the fee because we select them by mail from the get-go...

Exactly. :)

Unfortunately when I booked this cruise on line, I didn't realize you had the option to pick which way to receive your documents. I guess they automatically send edocs unless you check the box to have them mailed. I did go in and change it for my cruise next May so I get them mailed to me. I just like to have everything taken care of ahead of time. Oh well, live and learn.

Nothing is perfect. We have received our paper docs and luggage tags for our upcoming cruise. Then I added a name on one cabin. Without being asked, RC sent NEW luggage tags with the new name on them! (the original luggage tags ALL had my daughter's name on them, big whoop)

We have now changed cabins (:rolleyes: :D ) and I do NOT expect new tags again. We'll just get them at the pier.

BUT WE WILL FILL THEM OUT OURSELVES AND SEE THAT THEY ARE PLACED ON THE BAGS OURSELVES. I will not leave them to someone else to do.

We always get edocs, and we have division of labor at the pier. My husband and the porter fill out and attach tags. I "supervise" by making sure that every bag has a correct tag on it. So far it's worked perfectly. I also loiter around until I've seen that all the bags are loaded into one of those cage things. I don't want to be the person whose bag gets accidentally pushed into a corner and forgotten!

Lisa

I didn't select paper docs from the beginning, didn't even notice there was a choice. I just called RCI and requested that real (paper) docs be sent for our whole party. They were happy to oblige and there was no charge. :)

Its a re-issue fee.

Did you make your reservation on line? Its set to default for E doc's.

If you did make them on line make sure you look at cruise documentation in MY CRUISES and check the status and then check the box for doc's by mail.

I do not see where you can check the box for doc's by mail.. I do see this...

cc_GuestVacationDocumentats_hdr.gif

s.gif

These documents contain your reservation details and other important information you will need to board your ship. You can elect to receive your tickets by mail or electronically.

Paper Guest Vacation Document PDF example

Electronic Guest Vacation Document PDF example

I do not see where you can check the box for doc's by mail.. I do see this...

cc_GuestVacationDocumentats_hdr.gif

s.gif

These documents contain your reservation details and other important information you will need to board your ship. You can elect to receive your tickets by mail or electronically.

Paper Guest Vacation Document PDF example

Electronic Guest Vacation Document PDF example

I had to click on STATUS to view which box was checked.

Carol,

Just a suggestion, but when we've changed cabins after receiving luggage tags, we use a sharpie to change the cabin number. We completely black out the old number and carefully add the new one. We always check with a porter that we're covered, but they've never had us fill out new luggage tags.

Archived