Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE

cruisinryan

I'm sadly far away from pension/retirement.

But, I do get four day weekends pretty often and just booked a good deal for an upcoming one.

RCCL Majest of the Seas 3-day departing Miami on 1/17/2014 solo in an outer cabin for $270 plus taxes and fees. There also appears to be a C&A Savings Certificate that might be combinable with the fare. I booked through a TA and didn't see the cert until after, so I think I'm SOL.

Has your TA made the final payment? I would ask, then print the coupon.

There was a savings certificate on my last cruise on Adventure. I contacted the TA and was told that the certificate could only be applied at the time of the original booking, not after.

There was a savings certificate on my last cruise on Adventure. I contacted the TA and was told that the certificate could only be applied at the time of the original booking, not after.

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I did reach out to my travel agent and they were trying to get RCCL to honor it. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be a nice suprise if it was.

just booked a cove balcony single on Carnival dream 2/1/14 I do get military too so that might affect the price

CRUISE CHARGES

Cruise Rate $684.00

Cruise Government Taxes & Fees* $88.91

Total Cruise Charges $772.91

TOTAL CHARGES $772.91

Guest Balance Due PAID IN FULL

not too bad for a single balcony. Actually the balcony was cheaper than an inside single.

debkjw

just booked a cove balcony single on Carnival dream 2/1/14 I do get military too so that might affect the price

CRUISE CHARGES

Cruise Rate $684.00

Cruise Government Taxes & Fees* $88.91

Total Cruise Charges $772.91

TOTAL CHARGES $772.91

Guest Balance Due PAID IN FULL

not too bad for a single balcony. Actually the balcony was cheaper than an inside single.

debkjw

Great deal. NY resident rate with tax comes to $787.91 so you saved another $15. By the way, the insides are $898 + 88.91 so that makes it an even sweeter deal. I'm taking the cruise before and got an inside for $511. It's now going for $940.58! But the ocean view gty is $681 (don't want to spend $170. more for a window and a sofa). The balconies were a lot more money. I have to be in NY by the 3rd of February so I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of this fantastic deal.

Edited by cruise pup

I received an email from MSC offering "Employee Pricing" on Caribbean cruises in April and May. I took the bait and booked their 5/3/14 sailing on MSC Divina. Inside single with taxes and port charges came to $773.44. I then did a dummy booking for a double and it turns out the single rate is at 150% so not only are they discounting but they are giving singles a break. I compared the single rate for the Carnival Freedom leaving the same date and the inside single is over $200. more. They gave me until the 20th to deposit (only $100.) and that is refundable until February 17 which gives me time to agonize if I really want to do MSC when I have such good past passenger status on most of the major lines and get free drinks, laundry, priority boarding, etc. Reviews of Divina's first sailings out of Miami in November have been mostly horrible on this website but some found it to their liking, especially when sailing after Thanksgiving. I want to see if MSC pays attention to the complaints and steps up to the plate. One point everyone seems to agree is that it's a beautiful ship. So I'm hoping they get their act together. I'm glad that the deposit is low, and I have time to cancel with a full refund. I'll just sit back and watch how things go and also if prices get lower on the other lines.

hey c/p,

i've got a friend who's on the divine right now--it's her first cruise with msc too (she also travels solo). i'll let you know what she says. i think the only negative 'stuff' i've heard, is that msc charges for ice water in the mdr. lol i think they'll quickly turn that policy around--if they expect to get a share of the u.s. market.

hey c/p,

i've got a friend who's on the divine right now--it's her first cruise with msc too (she also travels solo). i'll let you know what she says. i think the only negative 'stuff' i've heard, is that msc charges for ice water in the mdr. lol i think they'll quickly turn that policy around--if they expect to get a share of the u.s. market.

From what I understand the cruises from U.S. ports include ice water in the mdr since we "crazy" Americans are big water drinkers. However, I am not allowed to drink during a meal so it doesn't affect me either way.

That is not correct. It can be applied any time prior to final payment.

Thanks. I think the problem is that I booked within 30 days of the cruise; so I believe final payment was due at the time of the booking. I'm not srue exactly how final payment flows from me to travel agency to RCCL, so I'm not sure on the timing issue of when exactly I "made my final payment" and when the TA requested the savings certificate.

That is not correct. It can be applied any time prior to final payment.

I wonder if the rules are different for us in the UK. I may book direct with RCI next time to see. My TA was adamant that I couldn't apply the savings certificate.

I wonder if the rules are different for us in the UK. I may book direct with RCI next time to see. My TA was adamant that I couldn't apply the savings certificate.

Hello SandraDJ

I cannot comment on your situation as such but have you tried calling RCI yourself? Even just getting their confirmation and returning to your TA with that?

I can wholeheartedly recommend booking RCI direct. I have done it for 2 of my past cruises and my next cruise and the service is excellent - I cannot fault the customer service staff.

Jo :)

Hello SandraDJ

I cannot comment on your situation as such but have you tried calling RCI yourself? Even just getting their confirmation and returning to your TA with that?

I can wholeheartedly recommend booking RCI direct. I have done it for 2 of my past cruises and my next cruise and the service is excellent - I cannot fault the customer service staff.

Thanks Jo. It's too late for that cruise, but I will remember to check for my next booking. There will be another booking, as I have bought a future cruise certificate!

Hello SandraDJ

I agree. I got rid of my TA after my Allure sailing and won't be going back. It's so much easier to call them directly while I'm on the website at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

Sorry for the delay. I did a search on Carnival's "Advanced Search" page for "one traveler" and it popped up. There are still lots of those available if you can sail at the last minute. Several cruise lengths as well.

how did you become aware of the no supplement for last minute cruise ?

I find this a bit unusual: Not long ago seems like Carnival had few solo discounts and Royal had some. Now the tables have turned with Royal mostly having 200% supplements and Carnival is taking the lead in this department.

Edited by hotdog647

I was just searching cruises on Carnival.com and noticed a couple of great SOLO deals for Feb 2014.

The 5 day out of Jax on 2/08/14 is charging for an interior $259.00 Past Guest Rate with a $60.00 bar credit (total $324.91 after port fees & taxes). Ports of call are Nassau & HMC.

The 5 day out of Charleston, SC on 2/11/14 is charging for an interior $299.00 Past Guest Rate with a $60.00 bar credit (total $378.30 after port fees & taxes). Ports of call are Nassau & HMC.

I thought I was seeing things because the dates before and after these sailings are much higher for solo but maybe there's some reason these are so cheap?

~Helen~

I was just searching cruises on Carnival.com and noticed a couple of great SOLO deals for Feb 2014.

The 5 day out of Jax on 2/08/14 is charging for an interior $259.00 Past Guest Rate with a $60.00 bar credit (total $324.91 after port fees & taxes). Ports of call are Nassau & HMC.

The 5 day out of Charleston, SC on 2/11/14 is charging for an interior $299.00 Past Guest Rate with a $60.00 bar credit (total $378.30 after port fees & taxes). Ports of call are Nassau & HMC.

I thought I was seeing things because the dates before and after these sailings are much higher for solo but maybe there's some reason these are so cheap?

~Helen~

This is only my take on it. These are the pre-Spring break cruises which I guess aren't filling up as well. Drastic increase in price for later in February and March. January cruises were going at great prices and are starting to fill so they're raising the rates on those because they have enough cruisers booked at the bargain rates. I booked the Dream for January 20 at a fantastic rate for an inside. Now they got enough insides filled that they are now higher than the ocean views.

I find this a bit unusual: Not long ago seems like Carnival had few solo discounts and Royal had some. Now the tables have turned with Royal mostly having 200% supplements and Carnival is taking the lead in this department.

Royal has changed their policy. They are now awarding double points for solo cruisers, but.....they are also now charging double the non commissionable fees as well, so the supplement is closer to 200%. Double port taxes should not be charged. This has been discussed extensively on the Royal board -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1926366&highlight=single&page=43

This could be an advantage if you already have a lot of royal points. I lucked out this year. I had five cruises already booked which would have been 55 points for which I am now getting 110 points. Even with the higher rates, I will get to the 340 points I need for the 150% supplement twice as fast. I thought that would take me many years to do, but at the end of 2014 I will be only about 60 points away.

It's a twist that Royal used to have more cruises with less than 200% supplements for solos than Carnival. Now it seems the worm has turned.

And for Diamond+ solo cruisers with 340 points, the 150% supplement pricing structure helps, but it is still hefty. Other sales or discounts, (which can't be combined with the 150% discount) can result in better solo rates. Doug

I think Carnival is offering no supplement because people are choosing not to cruise with them because of the Triumph disaster. Only a zero supplement would get me on a Carnival ship.

My next cruise is in a RCCL Serenade studio because it had a 17% supplement! and I was a little bored with the NCL Epic. I cruised RCCL as a solo on a Mediterranean cruise, but IMHO, the Epic and Breakaway are the only ships that really offer something special to solo travelers....