Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE

cruisinryan

I find this a bit unusual: Not long ago seems like Carnival had few solo discounts and Royal had some. Now the tables have turned with Royal mostly having 200% supplements and Carnival is taking the lead in this department.

i've noticed that too. rccl used to have some awesome solo pricing--but nuthin' great from the west coast--so i wasn't too 'hot' to try them. now i've been on rccl [serenade ots] and i think they're pretty darn good. they also have specific activities for solos--not singles 'mixers' for people 'hook-up', but stuff like a daily solo's lunch in the mdr. they had some evening events too--but i didn't hit any of those. the event's staff was very good about coordinating the solo stuff, etc.

they also had a 'progressive' trivia on all the sea days--of which there were six, for a fifteen night cruise. and some audience-partipation stuff in the main theatre + all different shows/entertainers and like matinee performers on sea days. but they charged me for milk (which is usually free) at the bakery, which i thought was kinda weird. but hey: if being charged for milk the worst thing i can say about the trip--then i had a pretty good time! lol there were some other challenges, but i'll keep them to myself and concentrate mostly on the kind and positive.

imho, mdr chow's not quite as good as princess, celebrity, or hal--but the specialty restaurants were excellent. Don't get me wrong, i ate plenty in the mdr, usually two entrees and two desserts (free milk! haha) and all the other dinner 'stuff', so the chow was good, but maybe just a cut below some of the other lines. mdr service good and staff was nice/personable, but pretty slow--they seemed always to be busy/running, so i think the slowness, reflects more on inadequate staffing levels than the staf themselves--it was real easy to spend two hours at dinner--which is cool when dinner is an 'event' for a special occassion, etc ... but the two-hour dinners every-night got kinda "old" a couple times

it was the staterooms that impressed me the most--i had an inside guarantee, and my expectations were pretty low; but the cabin was well appointed (not fancy) but nice (very clean) and functional--plus surprisingly open/roomy. There were no chocolates on the pillow at turndown, but by night-time, but i can live without caffeine and sugar.

my guy, rommel ... made towel animals every night--which i thought was cool. carnival does it, but i haven't seen towel animals a lot on princess, hal or celebrity. anyhow, it's a cool surprise to walk in and see the TAOTN (towel animal of the night).

i also like a separate sitting area [with a small couch (or very large chair) coffee table, etc--which my inside guarantee cabin had--also a decent desk with lots of drawer space, cabinet space and closets. + they had a knob inside the cabin, to adjust the volume of ships 'announcements'. i also liked the bathroom shower, with the rounded sliding door. nice digs ... and i had an inside guarantee, basically in steerage, i.e., deck 3 aft.

serenade ots is a good sized ship--not to big and not too small--so nothing was too far away (with a quick clip, i could make it bottom aft/starboard, to top forward port--in way less than 10 minutes--prolly closer to five--but that's taking the stairs about 10 floors, which i still think is quicker than the elevators.

the people on rccl (both crew and passengers) seemed slightly more friendly/approachable--of course it was a 15 day t/a with lots of sea days--so people had better chances getting to know each other. whether it was rccl, the crossing's length [15 days], the people themselves (or more likely) a combination of the three factors, it was one of my more enjoyable cruises.

I think Carnival is offering no supplement because people are choosing not to cruise with them because of the Triumph disaster. Only a zero supplement would get me on a Carnival ship.

My next cruise is in a RCCL Serenade studio because it had a 17% supplement! and I was a little bored with the NCL Epic. I cruised RCCL as a solo on a Mediterranean cruise, but IMHO, the Epic and Breakaway are the only ships that really offer something special to solo travelers....

i just came off serenade ots, and asked to see the solo cabins--there are only three of them, a little bigger (i think) then the ncl solo cabin (maybe 106 sq rt instead of 100 sf on ncl). they're not bad lookin' little cabins either, 'course i'm not a big/beefy hombre either--but the cabin i saw (the three of them were built in an existing broad hallway that used to serve as a second entrance to the dining room. Anyhow, i'll be interested to hear your opinion when you get back.

ps: serenade ots doesn't have a 'special' lounge for singles, but there is a message board on deck 5 (i think) where people say stuff like: ''want to join 3 other solos for a private tour in rome", or: there's a group of us meeting at chops tonight at 6pm + the solo lunch and some other stuff. anyhow, it's a solo-friendly environment.

Check out RCCL, Navigator, May 25, 2014 sailing - 7 nights. Price drop. I just read it on the RCCL thread. A good deal to be had for solos since the price dropped.

Starting prices for singles

$874 - inside

$990 - outside

$1032 - balcony

Edited by cynt

Check out RCCL, Navigator, May 25, 2014 sailing - 7 nights. Price drop. I just read it on the RCCL thread. A good deal to be had for solos since the price dropped.

Starting prices for singles

$874 - inside

$990 - outside

$1032 - balcony

If you qualify for the C&A balcony discount, the balcony is lower than the inside.

If you qualify for the C&A balcony discount, the balcony is lower than the inside.

hey cruise pup,

i'm at one of the lowest levels [platinum?] w/ 30 points i think.

questions:

1. are the rccl 'saving(s) certificates' the same for all levels, e.g., does a diamond-plus get better savings than a lowly platinum member--or is it strictly: better class cabin get's higher savings?

2. are 'balcony discounts located online, at the same place (on the rccl site as the 'saving certs") or are they somewhere different?

3. last question (for now ;-) are these savings certs and balcony discounts combinable with military and/or shareholder benefits?

thanks man.

s/f

vr/chandler

over...

hey cruise pup,

questions:

1. are the rccl 'saving(s) certificates' the same for all levels, e.g., does a diamond-plus get better savings than a lowly platinum member--or is it strictly: better class cabin get's higher savings?

2. are 'balcony discounts located online, at the same place (on the rccl site as the 'saving certs") or are they somewhere different?

3. last question (for now ;-) are these savings certs and balcony discounts combinable with military and/or shareholder benefits?

thanks man.

s/f

vr/chandler

over...

Check with Royal Caribbean.

Check with Royal Caribbean.

I can be a bit more helpful.

hey cruise pup,

questions:

...over...

1. Certs vary by level. New certs came out today. Go to Royal website and sign in. Under C&A tab you'll find Special Offers and then Savings Certs for your level.

2. Also under Special Offers you'll find On Board Booking Bonus, again for your level.

3. Saving certs OR balcony discounts are combinable with any one fare that applies - military, resident, senior, or single.

Here's where it gets tricky. This is my explanation of how it works, not why Royal says it works!

Shareholder OBC can be used with any fare that is not discounted by an adjustment. You can get a military fare, etc, and use the Shareholder benefit. You cannot use that benefit with a balcony or suite because the the discount is subtracted from the fare (and split between roommates).

Finally, you cannot use a shareholder OBC with an OBC you get from booking while onboard another cruise. The shareholder OBC is higher for an inside/outside short cruise, but the other OBC is better for longer cruises and/or balconies.

Could you be more specific about your particular situation? What kind of cabin are you booking? How long is your cruise? Do you actually own stock? Do you have a next cruise certificate?

Military, resident, and senior discounts determine the base price of your cruise. Balcony discount, savings certificates, shareholder benefits, and next cruise certificates offer additional potential discounts, most of which cannot be combined. The exception is the balcony discount and next cruise certificate.

So if you are eligible for all of these, you have to figure out the best deal for you.

If you can provide specific details, I'm sure folks will give their opinions. For example I own stock and always book insides, so I am good to go because this always gives me the maximum benefit equal to or more than the saving certificates or next cruise certificates. However, if you're booking balconies, the next cruise certificate may work better for you. The bottom line is that it depends.

I can be a bit more helpful.

1. Certs vary by level. New certs came out today. Go to Royal website and sign in. Under C&A tab you'll find Special Offers and then Savings Certs for your level.

2. Also under Special Offers you'll find On Board Booking Bonus, again for your level.

3. Saving certs OR balcony discounts are combinable with any one fare that applies - military, resident, senior, or single.

Here's where it gets tricky. This is my explanation of how it works, not why Royal says it works!

Shareholder OBC can be used with any fare that is not discounted by an adjustment. You can get a military fare, etc, and use the Shareholder benefit. You cannot use that benefit with a balcony or suite because the the discount is subtracted from the fare (and split between roommates).

Finally, you cannot use a shareholder OBC with an OBC you get from booking while onboard another cruise. The shareholder OBC is higher for an inside/outside short cruise, but the other OBC is better for longer cruises and/or balconies.

hey beth,

thanks for your in-depth response. i think my brain absorbed some of it. there are a lot of variables. let me dissect your info and figure how/if/when each part of it applies to my situation. thank you again!

Could you be more specific about your particular situation? What kind of cabin are you booking? How long is your cruise? Do you actually own stock? Do you have a next cruise certificate?

Military, resident, and senior discounts determine the base price of your cruise. Balcony discount, savings certificates, shareholder benefits, and next cruise certificates offer additional potential discounts, most of which cannot be combined. The exception is the balcony discount and next cruise certificate.

So if you are eligible for all of these, you have to figure out the best deal for you.

If you can provide specific details, I'm sure folks will give their opinions. For example I own stock and always book insides, so I am good to go because this always gives me the maximum benefit equal to or more than the saving certificates or next cruise certificates. However, if you're booking balconies, the next cruise certificate may work better for you. The bottom line is that it depends.

thanks man,

i'll usually opt for an inside cabin. cruise i'm lookin'at is 16 days. i'm a qualifying shareholder, but not old enough for the senior discount. i do have a c&a savings cert. i had buddies tell me not to use the military discount, it's not worth the trouble and/or putting your service information "out there'. especially if the same savings can be achieved w/o it.

the idea of an o/v cabin does nuthin for me (windows don't open, right?) but i've got a hard-on for the fresh air in balcony cabins. i'd gladly take balcony over an inside--especially if the swap could be done with a "balcony upgrade certificate"; but from what you and beth say: it sounds like the 'balcony upgrades' are not combinable with shareholder benefits anyhow, right?

hey, long as i've got your attention...

rccl shareholder obc: can it be applied to daily gratuities? without realizing i'd done it, i pre-paid my rccl tips, and was never able to find out if i could have used the obc to pay the tips--which is my preference. the closer i can get to "all inclusive", the better!

thanks!

I'm guessing that you are looking at the Serenade TA in April.

I did some mock bookings for you to see what is being offered.

1) Military discount - it's a personal choice whether you choose to take advantage of the military discount. Right now RCL is offering up a category M inside cabin on deck 8 that is only five cabins from the aft elevators for $1554. This is a great location. The military discount is $210. However RCL is also offering up a category Q inside cabin for $1564 with no discounts. The cabin is 9077 and is right by the aft elevators. However, it appears that this could be one of the new solo cabins that was added to the Serenade, so I would research that cabin number carefully before I selected it.

2). Stockholder Benefit vs savings certificate. The savings certificate is $115 for this cruise. Your stockholder benefit is $250, so stockholder benefit is a no brainer.

IMO this cruise has the potential for further price drops and should be monitored carefully up until final payment. I did the Brilliance TA in Sep (another radiance class) and decided I would roll the dice and take advantage of every price drop that was offered. Originally I had decided I would pony up the money because of the unique itinerary. When the price drops started, I decided I could live in any cabin on the ship so I moved every time the price dropped. I ended up in a deck 2 inside that was 5 cabins from the aft elevators and saved 48% off the original price. I loved the cabin! The main action on the ship is focused on the centrum on deck 4.

I did not prepay my gratuities and used my stockholder OBC to pay for them. I started out in late dining and managed to promote myself into MTD once on board.

Have you actually booked this cruise? Are you using a travel agent? I would book directly with RCL and monitor the price daily. If there is a price drop, put a hold on a new cabin and call RCL to swap your reservation around. I did this 5 or 6 times for the Brilliance, but I had a travel agent, so it was a PITA each time I moved.

Bottom line - don't get emotionally attached to any inside cabin!

1) Military discount - it's a personal choice whether you choose to take advantage of the military discount. Right now RCL is offering up a category M inside cabin on deck 8 that is only five cabins from the aft elevators for $1554. This is a great location. The military discount is $210. However RCL is also offering up a category Q inside cabin for $1564 with no discounts. The cabin is 9077 and is right by the aft elevators. However, it appears that this could be one of the new solo cabins that was added to the Serenade, so I would research that cabin number carefully before I selected it.

2). Stockholder Benefit vs savings certificate. The savings certificate is $115 for this cruise. Your stockholder benefit is $250, so stockholder benefit is a no brainer.

IMO this cruise has the potential for further price drops and should be monitored carefully up until final payment. I did the Brilliance TA in Sep (another radiance class) and decided I would roll the dice and take advantage of every price drop that was offered. Originally I had decided I would pony up the money because of the unique itinerary. When the price drops started, I decided I could live in any cabin on the ship so I moved every time the price dropped. I ended up in a deck 2 inside that was 5 cabins from the aft elevators and saved 48% off the original price. I loved the cabin! The main action on the ship is focused on the centrum on deck 4.

I did not prepay my gratuities and used my stockholder OBC to pay for them. I started out in late dining and managed to promote myself into MTD once on board.

Have you actually booked this cruise? Are you using a travel agent? I would book directly with RCL and monitor the price daily. If there is a price drop, put a hold on a new cabin and call RCL to swap your reservation around. I did this 5 or 6 times for the Brilliance, but I had a travel agent, so it was a PITA each time I moved.

dude, you should be a detective! yup, 04.26 serenade ots in the one--looks like a good itinerary for a midrange t/a. i'm quasi attached to it because i've got friends already booked (however, it's not like i'm locked-in/obligated, because inviting me was an afterthought--they were/are going whether i go or not). but even when 'sailing' solo ... it's good to know nice people on board.

i've used a travel agent once--what a clusterf*ck. yeah, i'll use the cruise website to book--or ever once in awhile i'll throw some 'business' toward vtg or amex. their bonus/perk incentives are usually not combinable with the 'blow-out/fire-sale" fares i take--but someone's always there [at amex and vtg] and they do have some leverage, us mere mortals don't, by virtue of the volume of business they do and relationships/standing because of it.

the only rcl cruise i've taken, was the 2013 fall t/a (serenade ots) booked at $41/night solo--booked online w/rcl, inside guarantee. if y'all monitor 'deals' (which seems like you do), you prolly 'know the one' i'm talking about--it was kind of an anomaly, far as the low price offered so early. couple weeks after booking, i was assigned cabin 3139, 'bout 3 or 4 cabins from passenger aft (which is more like mid-aft) because crew passageways & 'stuff' continue further aft--if that makes sense. i like serenade ots--not too big or too small--even the furthest point on the ship can be reached in <10 minutes--which is nice.

i was stoked with my quarters, in 'steerage' on rcl. layout was great--'specially set up as two beds--'cuz of the longish center space it opens up. for one reason or another, high on my list of cabin attributes, is a separate (even small but seemingly dedicated) seating area (little couch/large upholstered chair), which rccl cabins (except the solos) have. i also thought the shower rocked--with a rounded/sliding shower door instead of a curtain. nice. no note paper and/or chocolates on the pillow--no problem. God made i-pads so we can take notes--and if i ate the chocolate at bedtime--i'd be bouncin' off the walls anyhow. next day ... sure ... but chow, including all the chocolate you can eat, is free on the ship. funny, the things people will insist upon. lol kinda like me and my 'seating area'. lol 'guess we've all got our proclivities. haha

movin on...

far as the 'category q' cabins, e.g., ...8077, 9077, 1077... i'm kinda fascinated by those. they're apparently 'free-standing' (no common walls) and from the diagrams, i can't figure where the entry-door would be + they're right off the centrum, and like you said "it's action central" so i wonder if there are noise issues. the recon i've been able to do, indicate's they're 'new' as of the most recent 'refit' when ever that was.

i've done some test bookings for this upcoming t/a and noticed rcl assigns the #077's (by number) while booking an inside guarantee, which is atypical to my previous experience. anyhow--when i was on serenade for the t/a 'crossing' in nov/dec, i asked to see the solo cabins and was shown them. had i known about "the #077's" i would've asked to see them too. live/learn, right?

the 'true' solo cabins are on deck four. i did a 'mock' booking for the 12 day bcn/bcn mediterannean cruise as a b2b companion to precede the [2013, nov] t/a i'd booked. i was mostly doin' recon (to check on price drops, etc) and managed to book one of the new solo cabins, whilst rcl was offering them [momentarily] online as a technical exercise. i put one 'on hold' (for a decent price), called rcl to get the story--and the agent knew nothing about solo cabins. she, the agent, called me back later and said rcl would honor the price i got, but i could not be guaranteed one of the new solo cabins--which was cool with me--because it wasn't the cabin i was attached to--it was the price. i wanna say it was around $860 w/taxes fees (albeit not tips--i don't think).

i would have been all over it, but (yeah, there's most always a "but") i bought my airfare through a 3rd party vendor to save [literally] a couple of bucks--and the change-fees being [$450++] would not have eclipsed the cruise-fare savings (more like i'd have broken even); however, the 'idea' of paying $450++ for the privilege of taking a less expensive/less convenient flight, was over/above what this dumb-jarhead was willing to do. (this type situation is [perhaps] something a travel agency may have been able to smooth over without a change fee??) there were other variables going into my decision-matrix--but i ended up sticking with the 15 day t/a and [all in all] had a darn good time.

far as potential for price drops--i know they happen ... but if i'm gonna be in an inside cabin anyhow--i'd rather stay in a 'less desirable cabin' by some folks standards--and pay a lower price. lol 'course, through a balcony in the mix and i might feel differently--not sure.

i figure on/about 2014, 26 january (which is 90 days out) we should see price drops, with prolly more at the 60 day (when deposits are lost--and previously reserved cabins are returned to 'inventory' for 'fire-sale'). 'course my presuppositions are unknown variables--not sure things. for instance, my recollection is that the $41/night solo price (for the 11/27 t/a) was advertised on vtg early as june/july 2013--so they prolly didn't expect a lot of takers at regular prices. the early low pricing could have been a number of things--but i'm glad it was up for awhile, 'cuz i miss some of the 'deals', while i'm 'thinking' about it.

anyhow, there are some pretty-good (what i call) t/a+ (t/a with 12-30 day med cruises as part of the bargain rate), and if spring last year was any indication: prices on t/a's will drop to bargain prices. i've been 'cruising' for less than a year, but have already 'kicked mysef' a couple times for locking mysef into a 'good' deal early--and missing out on better deals later (my airfare debacle is the prime example). anyhow ... live and learn, right?

I was looking at the Brilliance TA, but the price was always unaffordable. I kept on checking, and there was never any real price drop. The price hovered within a small tolerance.

There is a savings certificate on the same itinerary this year.

The Brilliance TA is very popular. Last year a bunch of folks jockeyed to book balconies the moment bookings opened and the prices never really dropped for balconies and above. The insides and the OV's were not as popular and the price drops started for these cabins in the spring. At one point there was a guarantee price of $849 for an inside which ended up being under $1500 with the supplement. I was thrilled because the previous year there had been no price drops at all in any category.

This cruise worked really well for me since I live outside Boston. I flew to Paris for 2 days, took Eurostar to London, stayed at the "cruise" hotel (Doubletree London) booked on Hotwire, and took a privately organized cruise bus to Harwich. We stopped in LeHavre, Portland (Dorset), Cork, Dublin, Faroe Islands, and Iceland for 2 days.

This is not your typical bargain cruise, but it does take you a bunch of really interesting places for a reasonable price. There were lots of friendly seasoned cruisers and a lot of solos.

i'll usually opt for an inside cabin. cruise i'm lookin'at is 16 days. i'm a qualifying shareholder, but not old enough for the senior discount. i do have a c&a savings cert. i had buddies tell me not to use the military discount, it's not worth the trouble and/or putting your service information "out there'. especially if the same savings can be achieved w/o it.

the idea of an o/v cabin does nuthin for me (windows don't open, right?) but i've got a hard-on for the fresh air in balcony cabins. i'd gladly take balcony over an inside--especially if the swap could be done with a "balcony upgrade certificate"; but from what you and beth say: it sounds like the 'balcony upgrades' are not combinable with shareholder benefits anyhow, right?

hey, long as i've got your attention...

rccl shareholder obc: can it be applied to daily gratuities? without realizing i'd done it, i pre-paid my rccl tips, and was never able to find out if i could have used the obc to pay the tips--which is my preference. the closer i can get to "all inclusive", the better!

thanks!

Semper Pup it's like a game of give and take. You can do this, but not that-unless you change something else. There are so many ins and outs with bookings and certificates vs. coupons you really have to stay on your toes to keep up with how they all fit in and work together. For example OBC and gratuities. If you want my time dining you can't pre-book that and use OBCs to pay your gratuities. You have to wait and book it onboard and then use your OBCs to pay for gratuities. And any left over OBC's can't be refunded for cash. But you can go to the casino, charge money on your seapass for chips and quarters for the amount you have left and pay the 3-5% fee. Walk around and cash it all back into money.

Everyone has their preference for cabins. I think we have the same reaction for balconies. On longer journeys there is nothing like my own private ocean. I try to figure out ways to get one when they don't empty my pockets. Doug

Hi,

There is a large group of folks booking this sailing as a group. The ports are San Juan, St Croix, Martinique, Grenada, Dominica, Grand Turk finishing in Miami. You can book either the Early Saver or the group rate and snag a solo inside for $898. including tax. This is an 8 day sailing. There are several solos aboard already and we are looking to team up excursions and so on. All the details for the group booking may be found on the roll call at this web site for this sailing. If you book prior to Jan 14th, you will also get a $100 OBC.

I found the best options for the flights was booking one-way using Delta, Spirit or Southwest.

I'm sorry. I must have missed the dates on this.

The name of the ship and sailing date was not put in the body of the letter so, alot of readers miss this.

People, we appreciate your efforts but please remember to post ALL pertinent information in the BODY of the message.

Thanks for reading.

Reposting the previous posting

Sailing: Carnival Splendor Nov 1, 2014 San Juan to Miami

There is a large group of folks booking this sailing as a group. The ports are San Juan, St Croix, Martinique, Grenada, Dominica, Grand Turk finishing in Miami. You can book either the Early Saver or the group rate and snag a solo inside for $898. including tax. This is an 8 day sailing. There are several solos aboard already and we are looking to team up excursions and so on. All the details for the group booking may be found on the roll call at this web site for this sailing. If you book prior to Jan 14th, you will also get a $100 OBC.

I found the best options for the flights was booking one-way using Delta, Spirit or Southwest.

My apologies for any confusion...

Janet

I just booked SOLO RCCL Liberty Date of 2/1 for total of $619.69, includes port fees and taxes. Tips $62.50 not included. I am 55 and Florida Resident. Check it out for yourself and your situation. This is 5 day includes Belize, Western Carb.

Edited by dealer9296

The Brilliance TA is very popular. Last year a bunch of folks jockeyed to book balconies the moment bookings opened and the prices never really dropped for balconies and above. The insides and the OV's were not as popular and the price drops started for these cabins in the spring. At one point there was a guarantee price of $849 for an inside which ended up being under $1500 with the supplement. I was thrilled because the previous year there had been no price drops at all in any category.

This cruise worked really well for me since I live outside Boston. I flew to Paris for 2 days, took Eurostar to London, stayed at the "cruise" hotel (Doubletree London) booked on Hotwire, and took a privately organized cruise bus to Harwich. We stopped in LeHavre, Portland (Dorset), Cork, Dublin, Faroe Islands, and Iceland for 2 days.

This is not your typical bargain cruise, but it does take you a bunch of really interesting places for a reasonable price. There were lots of friendly seasoned cruisers and a lot of solos.

Hi carol

Hope you are doing well.Your post brought back memories of those cabin changes last September.:D

But, as you remember, I started out with a balcony, changed about four times to OV when the prices dropped, and then upgraded back to a balcony on one of the specials RCI had after final payment. I paid $500 to upgrade back but the price was still $1,500 less than my original balcony, which was not that faraway from my new balcony. But it took quite a bit of talking to RCI to convince them to let me do it and I was on the computer several times a day checking price drops and cabins. But you can get lucky on that cruise with perseverence.

Anne

Hi Anne

I am doing well and am off out of this frigid cold soon on the Explorer.

I agree that it took vigilance and perseverance on this cruise to get the price reductions. I rolled the dice on a guarantee and was super happy with the result, but I did that with the mindset that I would be happy in any inside cabin.

Where are you sailing next?