Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE

cruisinryan

I always request a large table at dinner, and make a point to be open and friendly. Join in the activities that interest you and strike up a conversation. Other than that, enjoy your own company and appreciate the fact that you can do what you are doing. My opinion, Celebrity...hands down, but then, I am older than you are. I have sailed on Carnival, and it was fun, but they tend to attract a younger crowd. Good luck!

Excellent advice!

This morning I phoned travel agent as I was interested in a Cunard cruise which is being advertised as from £999 getaway fare. Now I know that I will have to pay the single supplement, so was expecting a price around £1600, or so. I was informed that I could not have the getaway fare, as that was only for couples. I could only book Advantage fare at £2995. Three times the advertised fare. When I questioned this I was told that I could put another name down, even though this person would not be travelling, and then I could have it for the £999 per person. I am furious, as like many other people I have travelled with Cunard for 25 years, never having cruised with any other lines. I have a feeling I will not be making it 26 years. What have other people done when faced with this problem ?

My understanding is that you can't just put the name of another person down, and then that person not travel.

I can't remember exactly where I read that, or what the consequence was. Sorry, I wish I could!

This morning I phoned travel agent as I was interested in a Cunard cruise which is being advertised as from £999 getaway fare. Now I know that I will have to pay the single supplement, so was expecting a price around £1600, or so. I was informed that I could not have the getaway fare, as that was only for couples. I could only book Advantage fare at £2995. Three times the advertised fare. When I questioned this I was told that I could put another name down, even though this person would not be travelling, and then I could have it for the £999 per person. I am furious, as like many other people I have travelled with Cunard for 25 years, never having cruised with any other lines. I have a feeling I will not be making it 26 years. What have other people done when faced with this problem ?

I had same prob. The whole matter of single supplements is "evil". I can understand paying a little extra 'cos one buys only one drink, one excursion, one treatment and, like cinemas say they make their profit only from the popcorn so cruise lines say they make their profit only from the extras. But 85% extra , on air fare, on taxes, port dues etc., etc. ? And how come fares in USA are so much lower? Indeed many cruise lines forbid USA TAs using USA fares to sell to UK pax. On another tack, many items, eg computer soft & hardware, $ price is expressed one to one for £ price when bought from UK

On one line I boooked as a solo & TA asked for 2nd name "'cos that cruiseline likes it that way" ! Pay 2x Getaway twin rate. Turn up. If queried "Sorry me mate 'as broke 'is leg"

On gratuities. Having paid 80% over the odds I'm inclined to refuse to pay "Gratuity" In this case they've made about £1,000 extra, pure profit, so I'd not pay the c £10 per day "Gratuity". Gratuity "to encourage better performance". B******t. Best service, I've had has been on ships where there is no perfomance based pay. And those crews have been the happpiest I've known.

Edited by kasuku
tweaking !

• 2 weeks later...

RCI's Vision of the Seas 2-night getaway on 11/11/13. Single supplement is 150%, total for an interior is $342. There is also a Crown & Anchor Society savings certificate for $35 interior, $75 outside/balcony/suite savings. For $307, it will be a reasonably-priced "getaway" cruise.

A guarantee balcony for a solo passenger on the Celebrity Millennium departing May 17th 2013 sailing round-trip from Vancouver to Alaska (Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, and Ketchikan) is less than the price of an guarantee inside cabin! :eek: A guarantee balcony on the Millennium may have a partially obstructed view on a lower deck near the lifeboats, but I'm willing to take that risk.

The price is $799 with a 35% single supplement for a fare of $1,081.00. Taxes and fees are $147.51. Early or late dining times can not be assigned, therefore, gratuities of $11.50 x 7 = $80.50 have to be pre-paid. Total cost is $1,081.00 + $147.01 + $80.50 = $1,309.01 or $187 per day which I think is a good deal for any balcony on an Alaskan cruise.

I booked this cruise yesterday since I'm going to be in Vancouver on a business trip and the plan was to fly back to Toronto on May 17th. I asked if I could take some vacation days to stay in Vancouver at my own expense and then fly back on the following Friday. Since my flights and pre-cruise hotel will be company paid, I'm estimating I'll spend an additional $700-$800 on excursions and spending money for a total cruise cost around $2,000.

Just found some not that bad supplements with MSC for multiple more last minute cruises. Only looked into departures from IJmuiden (NL) and Amsterdam (NL) but found multiple itineraries and types of stateroom with supplements between 30-50%.

Unfortunately it doesn't fit into my schedule at the moment, but an 11 night Baltic cruise for €1543,- solo in an inside........ would've grabbed it in a hartbeat otherwise! Maybe I'll run into a likewise deal next year.

Fred Olsen have released prices and itineraries for 2014, which includes a number of cruises with no single supplements.

I've just booked a Paris mini cruise for November 2014 (eek!). I decided to treat myself to a suite - just for the hell of it.

Fred Olsen have released prices and itineraries for 2014, which includes a number of cruises with no single supplements.

I've just booked a Paris mini cruise for November 2014 (eek!). I decided to treat myself to a suite - just for the hell of it.

On the company website for Europe 2014 cruises, double-occupancy fares in double-occupancy cabins are lower than the single-occupancy fares in single-occupancy cabins.

I hope you enjoy your trip, of course, but I'm not sure this qualifies as "no single supplements".

If you're interested in a TA with a fabulous itinerary, look at the Brilliance Aug 31 sailing from Harwich England to Boston. Inside guarantee is $849 with a 1.71 supplement - base price is $1458 + port tax for a total of $1612. Ports are LeHavre, Portland (Jurassic coast in Dorset), Cork, Dublin,Faroe Islands, and two days in Iceland. For new bookings they are adding on $180 for MTD gratuities.

The roll call posts for this cruise are already about 3000. There is a web site for the cruise(site can be found on the roll call). I've been booked since last May and my price has now dropped 48%. Insides and OV's are just not selling well

I know that money wise this isn't as good a deal as some of the ones posted here, but it's a fabulous trip for under a $100/day base price. I'm using FF miles to fly to Paris for 2 days precruise, then over to London by train. Someone has arranged port transportation from the Westminster area to Harwich. There are still openings on some of the private tours.

Royals Independence OTS 12/1/13 6 Night Western(Falmouth,GC,Labadee) sailing out of FLL is offering residency rates for the following states

AL,CA,CT,GA,IL,IN,MA,MD,MI,NC,NJ,NM,NY,OH,PA,SC,TX,VA

Inside Cat L $610 total including fees

Promenade $640

There is also a C&A savings certificate for $75 off for inside cabins

I booked an Inside cat L

Total cost $535.64

Royals Independence OTS 12/1/13 6 Night Western(Falmouth,GC,Labadee) sailing out of FLL is offering residency rates for the following states

AL,CA,CT,GA,IL,IN,MA,MD,MI,NC,NJ,NM,NY,OH,PA,SC,TX,VA

Inside Cat L $610 total including fees

Promenade $640

There is also a C&A savings certificate for $75 off for inside cabins

I booked an Inside cat L

Total cost $535.64

Thanks for the heads up. I booked an inside accessible cabin (I qualify) and used my next cruise res so I get the obc and also the savings cert. Just gotta hope the airfares will be reasonable. Right now it's cheaper to fly Sat-Sat but the hotel rates don't justify the air savings right now.

Carnival is having a one day sale today - Wednesday....definitely worth considering. Carnival is going through a rough time now but I always had a positive experience with them. One or two I am considering.