Would you pay extra for luxury accommodations and amenities on a mainstream ship?

Would you pay a premium for luxury accommodations and amenities on a mainstream ship?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay a premium for luxury accommodations and amenities on a mainstream ship?

• Yes, I'd definitely pay extra
    • No, if I want a luxury cruise I'll go on a luxury line
    • No, it's simply too expensive for our budget
    • I might consider it

Hi, Darcie.

We really loved MSC Fantasia's Yacht Club but I'll agree with you to a point: it's not a Seabourn experience. It can't be for better or worse, depending on preferences. What is is is a way to experience a smaller ship atmosphere on a ship that has a lot more of the bells and whistles than do luxury ships.

When I was wrapping up the Fantasia virtual last week, I noted that the type of passenger that something like Yacht Club would appeal to is not a traditional luxury cruiser. It's more likely to be a family that feels the kids wouldn't enjoy a small ship (which has less kid-friendly stuff) even as the adults appreciate the extra touches and the extra space. It's also a good ship for couples with different cruise preferences. My husband, for instance, really likes big ships, the bigger the better. I really like small ones.

This was just right for us....

Anyway, just a few cents and thanks all for the interesting perspectives.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I've done both -- luxury ship, "ship within a ship" on a big ship and I

Sorry, but I just don't think you can take a mass market ship and turn it into a Seabourn or Crystal experience. Once you step outside your little "luxury" area, you're still on a mass market ship with their mass market food and service. So unless you include private dining in their extra cost alternate dining room every night, you're still getting nothing more than a mass market cruise with a couple of extra things that you're paying for.

Hi, Darcie.

We really loved MSC Fantasia's Yacht Club but I'll agree with you to a point: it's not a Seabourn experience. It can't be for better or worse, depending on preferences. What is is is a way to experience a smaller ship atmosphere on a ship that has a lot more of the bells and whistles than do luxury ships.

When I was wrapping up the Fantasia virtual last week, I noted that the type of passenger that something like Yacht Club would appeal to is not a traditional luxury cruiser. It's more likely to be a family that feels the kids wouldn't enjoy a small ship (which has less kid-friendly stuff) even as the adults appreciate the extra touches and the extra space. It's also a good ship for couples with different cruise preferences. My husband, for instance, really likes big ships, the bigger the better. I really like small ones.

This was just right for us....

Anyway, just a few cents and thanks all for the interesting perspectives.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I've done both -- luxury ship, "ship within a ship" on a big ship and I

Carolyn..... I wish you had finished the last sentence as I am interested in what you were 'about to say'. :)

I have cruised on Princess, Hal, Celebrity, Crystal and to be honest I don't think there is much difference between the service between them.

This whole business of paying extra is a slippery slope, we always book a good quality cabin and expect good service period. Don't want to leave these cruiselines off the hook of providing a good product. If we start paying more or extra for this and that boy, what a rip off this is going to become.

On our last few cruises we've encountered several different people and it seems on many threads read on cc lately there seems to be a growing populations that is willing to book the more expensive accomodations on the mainstream cruiselines but then finds themselves very unhappy with their overall cruise experience somehow thinking that because they did pay higher cost than others they were entitled to a higher overall experience in relationship to the entire cruise and didnt' feel as if they were or had gotten that. Examples being a couple we encounter that had booked a suit and then were complaining that they'd paid a lot of money for their suite but the entertainment and food in the dining room certainly didn't come close to what they had expected after deciding to pay that much for their cabin. It was interesting to hear that them say that if they only booked a regular balcony or OV they'd probably be ok with the entertainment and food. Another woman that was very unhappy that her ports had changed and embarkment had not gone smoothly and she might not have minded if she'd paid the price for an interior room or OV but having booked a suite she though she was entitled to a better experience and the itinerary she had booked.

Its great when one understands what they are purchasing and what they are sharing with others are happy with their overall expereince on the mainstream cruiselines but I think the cruiselines would do much better over all if they would stop trying to be everything to everyone when that is just not possible and I only see the movement toward paying to upgrade more and more aspects of a cruise while still cruising and sharing many parts of a cruise with those that have not upgraded as a formula for way too many unhappy passengers on both sides of the coin.

Our one experience with upgrading our cruise by purchasing an extra was to purchase the pass for the thalassotherapy pool on Celebrity's Century (before the refurb). It was a luxury for us but a great experience. We had an inside cabin and it was a Christmas cruise. We spent every afternoon enjoying the quiet of the thalassotherapy pool area. Our tablemates were addicted to spa treatments and were there almost every afternoon as well.

On our last few cruises we've encountered several different people and it seems on many threads read on cc lately there seems to be a growing populations that is willing to book the more expensive accomodations on the mainstream cruiselines but then finds themselves very unhappy with their overall cruise experience somehow thinking that because they did pay higher cost than others they were entitled to a higher overall experience in relationship to the entire cruise and didnt' feel as if they were or had gotten that. Examples being a couple we encounter that had booked a suit and then were complaining that they'd paid a lot of money for their suite but the entertainment and food in the dining room certainly didn't come close to what they had expected after deciding to pay that much for their cabin. It was interesting to hear that them say that if they only booked a regular balcony or OV they'd probably be ok with the entertainment and food. Another woman that was very unhappy that her ports had changed and embarkment had not gone smoothly and she might not have minded if she'd paid the price for an interior room or OV but having booked a suite she though she was entitled to a better experience and the itinerary she had booked.

Its great when one understands what they are purchasing and what they are sharing with others are happy with their overall expereince on the mainstream cruiselines but I think the cruiselines would do much better over all if they would stop trying to be everything to everyone when that is just not possible and I only see the movement toward paying to upgrade more and more aspects of a cruise while still cruising and sharing many parts of a cruise with those that have not upgraded as a formula for way too many unhappy passengers on both sides of the coin.

I pretty much believe that the additional cost is for the real estate and nothing more. That is because everyone, even in an inside cabin, should still have excellent service. Yes, Suite Guests will have Priority embarkation and tender, BUT if one cruises a lot you learn how to get around this. For example, whenever I have showed up at 3:00pm for embarkation, I have always walked right on. On both HAL and Celebrity if you take the first tender out at 7:00am or whenever, I have found that we have gotten right on with no wait...As far as a bottle of Champagne, you can buy one. This is just a few examples.

Absolutely not. Maybe it's cuz I started back when cruise lines hadn't gone too mass market, but I expect gourmet food and service and decor in my base fare. I am NOT paying to eat at a special restaurant. Defeats the point of cruising to me. Course, I also like traditional dining.

So, if I want luxury stuff, then I'll pay for a luxury line where it's luxury across the board.

grandma, I like what you said, and it makes a lot of sense. When we booked our first Royal Suite on Royal Caribbean a number of years ago, we were quite honestly surprised that it didn't include soda or bottled water---at least a little extra. While we loved the cruise and the ports of call, I think when you pay that much for the biggest suite, people do expect a little something extra. I don't think stocking the frig with soda in the costliest suites would cost the cruise line a lot of money. Or at least a little perk for those who book the big bucks suites.

...there seems to be a growing populations that is willing to book the more expensive accomodations on the mainstream cruiselines but then finds themselves very unhappy with their overall cruise experience somehow thinking that because they did pay higher cost than others they were entitled to a higher overall experience in relationship to the entire cruise and didnt' feel as if they were or had gotten that.

Lately I have noticed, moreso than in the past, people booking more expensive suites on mainstream lines and expecting some sort of entitlement from it. What makes it so bad is that these people feel the need to tell everyone around them that they are in a suite...almost as though they are expecting the people around them to bow down to them. It's like they forget they are on a mainstream line. :rolleyes:

I prefer to book standard balcony rooms. I live within sight of the Port of Miami, so cruising is very convenient for me. I would much rather go on 3 cruises in standard balcony rooms, rather than go on one in a high end suite. Other than the size of the room, nothing changes in a suite.

As for luxury...if I expect luxury, I would book a luxury line. There is very little luxury in a mainstream cruise line. Nice, yes. Luxury, no.

Reference the comments about some folks expecting more if they are in a suite.

We had an experience a year or so ago, where we booked two cruises on same ship, within 6 months of each other. First cruise we had a balcony cabin, we had a fantastic trip -- service and the food were excellent. So much so, we decided to go again and booked a suite next trip.

Second trip was a big disappointment relative to service and quality of food. The only treat was the suite cabin which we did enjoy. We had a head waiter in the MD who had an attitude, big time on the second cruise. We should have changed tables. I will change tables if this ever happens again.

We did make our dissatisfaction known while on the cruise and kept thinking things would get better, never did on a 10 day cruise.

The point of my story, is we did expect more then we got on that second cruise, not more because we were in a suite - more because of our prior positive experience on the same ship, less than 6 months earlier. Some times I believe the complaints are about the lack of consistency in service on these ships. The more one pays, the more upsetting the lack of service becomes.

One of the best cruises we ever had - we ended up in a ocean view cabin at the last minute because that was all that was availble. So cabin alone does not make a cruise memorable. The quality of service, food, entertainment and ports makes a big difference. I trust when folks complain they know what to expect and for one reason or another they did not get it. Thanks unfortunate.

The way things are going we could be headed back to the two / three class ships. :rolleyes:

Is that really a bad thing? I mean, now that they've added lifeboats for everyone.

Airlines do it, hotels do it, even your choice of what you drive is a reflection of the class of service you desire.

Depends what we are paying for. The ones you note probably not.

The way things are going we could be headed back to the two / three class ships. :rolleyes:

Hi chasetf :)

Cunard does this to some extent by assigning passengers to a dining room based on the category of their cabin/suite.

This way people who pay more for a better cabin have a superior dining experience with better food.

LOL, I think I meant to cut that. But what I was going to say was that I've done both types of cruising. And it's ironic to me that in many cases the nice suites on big (new) ships are actually nicer than those on many luxury lines. More amenities, more balconies, etc.

It'll be interesting to see what Oceania's and Seabourn's new ships look like; very excited about those.

I liked the variety we had on Fantasia. But it wasn't all "luxury" -- sometimes there'd be service hiccups in places and food was uneven. Still, it was a great experience. I'd probably be more inclined to do a luxury cruise than a big ship one (in a standard cabin, which is what we most often travel in) but I'd be open to a big ship/small ship experience again. Have done Queen Mary 2's Queens Grill, enjoyed that, too (it was a bit stuffier than Fantasia and not so many perks). Would really like to try NCL's Courtyard Villas.

Carolyn

I think

Carolyn..... I wish you had finished the last sentence as I am interested in what you were 'about to say'. :)

You both raise really interesting points. I think this whole new trend -- evolution of luxury accommodations and such on mass market ships - is still not really understood by both cruise ship designers/cruise line ship developers AND passengers. It's still relatively new, aside from on Cunard, and that's been perking along for some time.

But here's the thing: if you pay a significant premium to cruise in a suite (not mini-suite, but real suite) shouldn't you also be entitled to some perks? When I fly "upper class" on Virgin Atlantic, I get a bigger seat, sure, but I also have a different menu, different entertainment, different service -- and the fantastic pre-flight lounge.

My husband, who is editor of Cruise Business Review, which is a cruise industry business-to-business magazine, noted on our trip that if yo can pay the same fare for a suite on Holland America as on Queen Mary 2, and yet get less special touches (on HAL it's pretty much access to a concierge lounge; on Cunard there's priority this and that, a private restaurant, designated lounge) which, all things otherwise equal, would you choose?

I think cruise lines need to do a better job of accommodating passengers who are willing to pay a premium, AKA the airline model. They also need to do a better job of educating passengers about what to expect from the premium experience.

Hope that makes sense?

Carolyn

grandma, I like what you said, and it makes a lot of sense. When we booked our first Royal Suite on Royal Caribbean a number of years ago, we were quite honestly surprised that it didn't include soda or bottled water---at least a little extra. While we loved the cruise and the ports of call, I think when you pay that much for the biggest suite, people do expect a little something extra. I don't think stocking the frig with soda in the costliest suites would cost the cruise line a lot of money. Or at least a little perk for those who book the big bucks suites.

YES I would. Everyone has their "splurges". I own the cheapest/oldest cell phones. Don't need Coach bags. No Acuras or Hybrids to impress people with. Don't drink AT ALL. Don't begrudge those things, for others value them.

BUT, I would LOVE to pay for upgraded rooms. Short lines for embarkation. Short buffet lines. Freedom to eat at premium restaurants on the ship. Quality experience that requires no apologees.

So yeah, I'd pay. Just trying to figure out who provides that !!!

Dear Carolyn,

Personally, I think what you said about the "class" system that Cunard offers is very much cruise industry should had gone into and not the suite perk or concierge class thing.

BUT, a lot of people are total turn/put off by the "class" system and swear they will never step foot on a ship with class system.

You can’t please everyone and someone will always be unhappy.

Cindy

I'm working on a story on just this topic. so stay tuned. But off the cuff, there are three lines that offer the big ship-small ship experience:

*Cunard via its Grill class

*MSC, Fantasia only, with Yacht Club

*NCL's courtyard villas (on newest shipos only)

And a sort of contender is Costa with its spa-within-a-big ship concept. Haven't tried it yet so I include it with a caveat....

Carolyn

YES I would. Everyone has their "splurges". I own the cheapest/oldest cell phones. Don't need Coach bags. No Acuras or Hybrids to impress people with. Don't drink AT ALL. Don't begrudge those things, for others value them.

BUT, I would LOVE to pay for upgraded rooms. Short lines for embarkation. Short buffet lines. Freedom to eat at premium restaurants on the ship. Quality experience that requires no apologees.

So yeah, I'd pay. Just trying to figure out who provides that !!!

I'm working on a story on just this topic. so stay tuned. But off the cuff, there are three lines that offer the big ship-small ship experience:

*Cunard via its Grill class

*MSC, Fantasia only, with Yacht Club

*NCL's courtyard villas (on newest shipos only)

And a sort of contender is Costa with its spa-within-a-big ship concept. Haven't tried it yet so I include it with a caveat....

Carolyn

I generally cruise with Cunard and like the system they adopt. They actually have four standards, Brittania which is for the lower priced cabins, Brittania Club, Princess Grill and Queens Grill. The last three have their own restaurants and the Grills, I beleive, have their own bar. Thanks to this forum and others, we usually have a Roll Call meeting and sometimes if time permits, have a tour of everyones cabin so you get to see the more expensive cabins. Yes, if I could afford it, I would sail Queens Grill, but it is not a priorty and I prefere to cruise three times a year in a lower priced cabin than once in a Princess Grill. As others have said, airlines have been doing this for years, so why not cruise ships.

• 4 years later...

I apologize for the epic 4 year bump .... Google found this topic for me while researching "luxury ship within a ship" on mainstream lines.

Since 2009 when this topic was originally posted, I am wondering if there are any new mainstream players in this field outside of Cunard, MSC and Norwegian?

Also with all the cutbacks lately on the mainstream lines, maybe peoples thoughts have changed on this topic ... ?

I apologize for the epic 4 year bump .... Google found this topic for me while researching "luxury ship within a ship" on mainstream lines.

Since 2009 when this topic was originally posted, I am wondering if there are any new mainstream players in this field outside of Cunard, MSC and Norwegian?

Celebrity has the Aqua cabins that have a separate dining room. Disney has Concierge which does not have a separate dining room but is locked from the lower class. It does have a private deck and lounge.

Celebrity has the Aqua cabins that have a separate dining room. Disney has Concierge which does not have a separate dining room but is locked from the lower class. It does have a private deck and lounge.

thanks, I didn't know about that on Celebrity.

thanks, I didn't know about that on Celebrity.

The idea with Aqua Class on Celebrity is to offer an amenity option for people who want to indulge in the spa experience on board. These staterooms are located close to the spa area. Here are the advantages as quoted from the Celebrity website:

* Priority seating in Blu, a specialty restaurant that also serves a complimentary and healthy continental breakfast every day

* Plentiful in-room amenities, including Hansgrohe® shower panels, aromatherapy selections, a pillow menu, complimentary bathroom amenities, and daily deliveries of bottled water and teas

* A Personal Spa Concierge to arrange AquaSpa® treatments

* Plush AquaClass Frette® bathrobes and slippers

* Enhanced personal care products

* Free, unlimited access to the Persian Garden and Relaxation Room

* Special programming and wellness classes

DW and I are blessed to have the resources and the time to cruise for extended periods and in suites. The next trip is 31 days. The perks we get we enjoy. We choose to cruise Princess for a couple of reasons. First and foremost is the fabulous breakfast offering in Sabatinies. Regardless of how high up you are in the Princess loyality program this perk is for suite guests only. Secondly is the free laundry and dry cleaning. I can pack for a month long trip as if I were packing for a 10 day one. Other cruise lines offer different perks but for us the ones Princess provides meet our needs. I don't need a butler and the one time we had one on Celebrity he was a ghost. I must say the one we had on Cunard was fantastic but we hardly availed ourselves of his services. To each his own I guess.

Archived