How do YOU pronounce "Promenade"???

Twickenham

How do you pronounce "Promenade"?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce "Promenade"?

• Prome-nay-de
    • Prome-nah-de

I have always pronounced it prom-en-ad, in the French style. However, now that I think of it, when I am out walking then I am prom-en-ading.

Oh what the heck - just go ahead and pronounce it anyway you wish - no one is going to lose any sleep over what they perceive to be your mispronunciation.

innlady1 - you lucky duck: I still have three weeks to go before I will be prom-en-ading on the prom-en-ad.

Valerie:D

Prom uh nahd; and to make things interesting, the Dutch (who adopted the word from the French) pronounce it 'prom uh nah duh'

Trust the Dutch to make it special with an extra syllable. My favorite shirt-tail aunt was Dutch and she said they always made life special. :)

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Trust the Dutch to make it special with an extra syllable. My favorite shirt-tail aunt was Dutch and she said they always made life special. :)

Hey your honor, what's a shirt-tail aunt? Can't say I heard that before:confused:

Hey your honor, what's a shirt-tail aunt? Can't say I heard that before.

Do you mean to tell me that y'all don't have shirt-tail relatives down there? You must call them something else then. A shirt-tail relative is somebody who is not related to you by blood, but perhaps by marriage, or even through friendship. My shirt-tail aunt (who was a Vandusen) was my dad's sister's sister-in-law; she and my shirt-tail uncle were also very close friends of my parents. Shirt-tail relatives are almost better than real relatives because sometimes they treat you better!

I have always pronounced it PROM -EN - ADE as most other Americans do.

I've lived in Louisiana, Missouri, Kansas, Washington State, Arizona.

That represents the Deep South, Midwest, Bible Belt, West Coast... not perhaps 'most other Americans' but quite a reasonable sampling.

I've NEVER heard it pronounced prom-en-Ade outside of a square dance setting.

Archived