Noordam - 01/23/09 - Good Nuts!

RevNeal

Good morning, Greg,

We're back in the frozen tundra (3 degrees) and the cruise is starting to feel really surreal. I just wanted to say how much we enjoyed meeting you and our conversations, brief as they may have been. It was a pleasure to finally meet you, Ruth, Mary Ellen, and all of the others from CC.

I am in complete agreement with you about this cruise--it was the most relaxing one we've taken so far. I completely enjoyed our verandah and read 3 books in the 10 days onboard (normally I don't have time to get through one). The poor performer in the piano bar and the horrible lack of payouts on the slots did contribute to this relaxation ;) On our Feb Westerdam cruise, with Jimmy Maddox in the piano bar, we were exhausted from closing the place down every night!:o This was just what we needed to recharge our batteries--relaxation and lovely scenery. We loved the Noordam and we both felt that the crew was possibly the best we've experienced. Our dining room stewards, Darfin and Punky, definitely were. Colin was a helpful, friendly and attentive Asst. DR manager. Also, we've never had the dining room manager stop by our table on previous cruises, but Indra was there every single night and couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant--we just can't say enough good things about the staff. Our room service was delivered promptly and always as ordered, delivered with a warm smile. HAL just goes above and beyond in the Customer Service Department.

I'm glad that everyone made it home safely and hope to see you again on a future cruise!

Des

I'm not Greg but I can say that they were using them, but it was not always easy to find them. We usually had to retrieve one from the salad bar and carry it around--none at the Lido Pool Grill, pasta station, etc. I think they're clearly phasing them out so I'm not sure if they'll still be there for your cruise. It definitely makes things more of a challenge without them and we saw lots of spilling, dropped food, etc. when people weren't using them

Greg - We will be on the Noordam for a 20 day B to B on the 22nd. I have not read all the threads so I appologize if the subject has already been broached. Please tell me if they use trays in the Lido.

Yes, there were trays ... but they were not always where I thought they would be. You could always find a stack available at the head of the Salad Bar and at the head of each main line, however otherwise they were scarce. They were not found at the Grill out by the pool, they were not at the Omelette/Sandwich station, and they were not at the Pasta/Pizza/Asian food stations. One had to go find a tray for these locations if one wanted to use them. Frankly, I didn't need them when just running to get a piece of pizza or a plate of stir fry or a burger and fries ... however, if I needed one there was one available at the above mentioned stations. When I asked about Trays being removed from the Noordam, I was looked at like I had 3 heads.

I'm not Greg but I can say that they were using them, but it was not always easy to find them. We usually had to retrieve one from the salad bar and carry it around--none at the Lido Pool Grill, pasta station, etc. I think they're clearly phasing them out so I'm not sure if they'll still be there for your cruise. It definitely makes things more of a challenge without them and we saw lots of spilling, dropped food, etc. when people weren't using them

I Should have read your post first.

Yes, I saw much the same thing ... including spills, etc, from people trying to juggle a couple of plates and a drink as well. It was "interesting." I asked one of the ship's senior staff about the lack of trays and the experiment with tray-less Lidos and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. I don't know if they're going to go to an entirely tray-less operation, but if they are perhaps they'll adjust the configuration of the Lido to better enable the operation.

Oh, and it was a delight getting to meet you, too. I enjoyed our conversations ... and particularly-so during our shore excursion on Grenada. :D

Hi Greg! We didn't make it home yesterday at all! There were unknown mechanical issues on our plane leaving Ft. Lauderdale so we were delayed 2 hours which caused us to miss our connecting flight departing from Montreal. Hence we spent the night at a hotel in Dorval and flew home to Calgary this morning....arriving home some 30 hours after we'd stepped off the ship. The memories of the 10 days spent aboard the lovely Noordam with so many wonderful, truly wonderful, people will sustain me for some time. I particularly enjoyed the time we were able to spend together, and the fun times we shared - HMC was a blast and I'm so grateful the sun blessed us to make the day perfect.

This image was reduced about 30x. Is it you all?

nuts.jpg

Yes, and this was a FANTASTIC SAILAWAY PARTY!! I'm standing next to bepsf (Brian) who was wearing the orange shirt. I have a navy stripe across the chest of the lighter blue shirt and am happily waving directly at Inletcam. What a great photo! (I'd love to get a high res shot of this emailed to me - hint hint:D)

Greg,

I just had a brief chat with Inletcam and he had this to say about our Penthouse sailaway party pictures and how he plans to post them on his website - great news!

Hey Rusta! I should have those images online next week... I took several... Keep an eye out for the GALLERY opening

Yes, we thought about photographing the Bear and Barbies, however we decided that propriety called for allowing others their eccentricities without us photographing them, too. :)

That being said, they actually took them ashore at HMC! The Barbies were in Bikini Swimsuits and the bear has a bathing suit on, too. I don't think they used sunscreen, though. :D

So let's see now. Ruth C experienced the Hat Lady, the Stuffed Bear ( they were bears, right or were the bears wearing the hats? ) Lady and now Bear and Barbie Lady, all on HAL cruises.

That's incredible.

Richard, I'm sorry that it took you so long to arrive home. I guess we should have just stayed on for the next sailing. We so enjoyed meeting you and Heather, and we will never forget the wonderful ten days. Thanks everyone for making our cruise so wonderful.

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but it is getting close to dinner time, and I have yet to smell food cooking anywhere. :eek:

We did make it home Monday night - just a bit later than planned. We were to have connected in DFW, but the flights there from FLL were overbooked - with long standby lists. The airline made us an offer we couldn't refuse, so we gave up our seats. We were transferred to MIA for a non-stop to Denver and given vouchers worth more than our tickets originally cost. I must say we had excellent 'limo service' home from DEN. Our DHs were happy to have us home, they had chilled beverages and snacks for us on the drive.

I did enjoy the Noordam MUCH more than the E'dam. It is still too large for our needs and I DO NOT like not having a passenger laundry. However, if the circumstances are right, I can imagine sailing on her again and/or recommending her to others. Not something I can say about the E'dam.

Embarkation in FLL was perfect. Disembarkation not so. This was our first 'silent disembarkation' and by far the worst lines I've ever encountered. We were in the Red group, the second time frame. A number felt that since they were 'Red 1', that they didn't need to stand in line, they should go to the front of the line as they obviously had more importance than those with Red 2 or Red 3. Some who were Orange (3rd group) thought that since their time frame was approaching, they should get in line early. No wonder the line snaked though the Ocean Bar, back through the midships elevator lobby and into the shops area. :eek: Once we made our way into the cruise terminal, the line was halted for a while. When we were allowed to go down the escalator to the luggage claim area, some of the HAL red coats decided that it made sense that they should have those at the back of the line go first. Why have a line in the first place????? It was sad to end such a nice cruise with such chaos.

It was a wonderful time. It was great meeting so many CC'ers. I (and DH) look forward to future sailings with you. Judy had heard of our past cruises with many of you and now understands why we enjoy them so much. Who knows, she (and her DH) may even consider the TA later this year or Antarctica in 2011 with some of us and she's definitely interested in Tahiti. :D

We did make it home Monday night - just a bit later than planned. We were to have connected in DFW, but the flights there from FLL were overbooked - with long standby lists. The airline made us an offer we couldn't refuse, so we gave up our seats. We were transferred to MIA for a non-stop to Denver and given vouchers worth more than our tickets originally cost. I must say we had excellent 'limo service' home from DEN. Our DHs were happy to have us home, they had chilled beverages and snacks for us on the drive.

I did enjoy the Noordam MUCH more than the E'dam. It is still too large for our needs and I DO NOT like not having a passenger laundry. However, if the circumstances are right, I can imagine sailing on her again and/or recommending her to others. Not something I can say about the E'dam.

Embarkation in FLL was perfect. Disembarkation not so. This was our first 'silent disembarkation' and by far the worst lines I've ever encountered. We were in the Red group, the second time frame. A number felt that since they were 'Red 1', that they didn't need to stand in line, they should go to the front of the line as they obviously had more importance than those with Red 2 or Red 3. Some who were Orange (3rd group) thought that since their time frame was approaching, they should get in line early. No wonder the line snaked though the Ocean Bar, back through the midships elevator lobby and into the shops area. :eek: Once we made our way into the cruise terminal, the line was halted for a while. When we were allowed to go down the escalator to the luggage claim area, some of the HAL red coats decided that it made sense that they should have those at the back of the line go first. Why have a line in the first place????? It was sad to end such a nice cruise with such chaos.

It was a wonderful time. It was great meeting so many CC'ers. I (and DH) look forward to future sailings with you. Judy had heard of our past cruises with many of you and now understands why we enjoy them so much. Who knows, she (and her DH) may even consider the TA later this year or Antarctica in 2011 with some of us and she's definitely interested in Tahiti. :D

Wow, when we disembarked, there was no line. We left our cabin at 0945 and we getting in the cab outside customs at 1000. We commented on how easy the whole process was.

Wow, when we disembarked, there was no line. We left our cabin at 0945 and we getting in the cab outside customs at 1000. We commented on how easy the whole process was.

We also disembarked at 9:45am and it was a breeze. We were outside within 15 minutes. As soon as DH got the car from the lot, we were on our way. Saw Brian and Scotty and RevNeal and Christopher get into taxis right away.

Terri

I made it home and have worked past the exhaustion that causes. Whew. Laundry is done, and I've repacked (more or less) for the Veendam cruise coming up. That part was easy!

It was a great cruise, wonderful to see some CC friends again, and great to meet some I've been wanting to meet. Sharing a couple of shore excursions was a blast!

This Noordam cruise was better than the two previous Noordam cruises---service in all areas had definitely been kicked up a couple of notches. Now if HAL could only improve on the entertainment in the lounges, it would be as good as can be.

The "musician" (and I use the term loosely) in the Piano Bar might not be the worst ever, but he sure is a contender. He can't sing, didn't plan any sets, has no personality, is loud, and only does rock 'n roll.

I have to say, though, that the quartet in the Explorer's Lounge was excellent. Fortunately, as I enjoyed them many a night. And I was so glad that shows were after dinner that I went to several of them, too. Felt I had to support the timing, and noticed the crowds were good. And so were the shows! :)

I made it home and have worked past the exhaustion that causes. Whew. Laundry is done, and I've repacked (more or less) for the Veendam cruise coming up. That part was easy!

[/color][/size][/font]

welcome home Ruth! I missed you and your comments along the way! Glad you had a wonderful cruise on the Noordam, can't wait for my first cruise on her in a little over 6 months, but hey! who's counting!

I made it home and have worked past the exhaustion that causes.

.........:)

Hi Ruth, I like everybody else eh, have spent the last two days doing laundry, mail, email and grocery shopping and that's it! Where's my dinner, oh geez I have to go make it:p

I thought the Noordam was lovely and the most lively HAL ship I have been on. I agree the entertainment was pretty good, good size crowds at the late show, but the loudness of the piano bar guy kept us out of there. I did really like that ship. I was home by 8:30pm to my door.

Now if HAL could only improve on the entertainment in the lounges, it would be as good as can be.

The "musician" (and I use the term loosely) in the Piano Bar might not be the worst ever, but he sure is a contender. He can't sing, didn't plan any sets, has no personality, is loud, and only does rock 'n roll.

I have to say, though, that the quartet in the Explorer's Lounge was excellent. Fortunately, as I enjoyed them many a night. And I was so glad that shows were after dinner that I went to several of them, too. Felt I had to support the timing, and noticed the crowds were good. And so were the shows! :)

Hi Ruth!

It was great to finally meet you! I have to agree with you about the *entertainer* in the Piano Bar. we went for the first two or three nights in hopes that he might improve. His childish, childish way of speaking (to us it was a cross between Emo Phillips and Pee-wee Herman) is so poorly suited for the HAL crowd--not sure where he belongs but not on a lovely cruise ship. His piano skills were just OK but there were so many songs that he virtually mumbled through because he clearly did not know the words. The clincher for us was a trivia contest--he obviously had favorites who he wanted to win and when they were lagging far behind us he offered them a question worth 10 pts. When we won that one, he said he was going to do a tie-breaker! I know, at that point, he'd played over 40 songs and we'd won 24 of them, with the rest divided around the room, so what "tie"? We won, but that was our last visit to the piano bar on this cruise. You're right about him having zero personality--no interaction with people unless he's *performing*

The upside is that this cruise was very relaxing and we came home well rested, mostly because we weren't closing the piano bar every night :o

Hope to see you again on a lovely Dam ship!

Des

Dearest Ruth,

I'm so happy you got home safe-and-sound. :) And, I think it's wonderful that you're getting ready to board another Dam ship in just a few days. Congratulations! :D I'm not jealous, given that I'll be boarding the Ryndam in just 3 months. For me, they'll be a full 3 months ... Lent, Easter, etc ... so I know they'll pass quickly.

It was a lot of fun cruising with you again, Ruth, and I look forward to you greeting me when I board the Rotterdam on October 31. :D

nuts.jpg

What a great shot. I see Ruth(2nd from left) and Sheila(Innlady..in pink) and looks like Greg on the right taking pictures. Adele is in white looking towards Ruth.

I see ourselves "hiding" behind Scotty and Monica. I didn't realize we were being captured on cam!! That is a great picture

This image was reduced about 30x. Is it you all?

nuts.jpg

I'm the one in the black with the sun glasses next to Adele (the lady in white next to Brian).

We had an absolute blast! My fellow CCers and the crew were VERY VERY sweet with Hannah. Traveling and cruising with a 1 year old is so very different from any other vacation I've ever taken, but was absolutely amazing. It was also hard work, but so worth it!! This will go down in my memory as one of the best vacations ever!

We had a "fully obstructed" H and found that we actually had a WONDERFUL view!

Thank you, Sage, for the bon voyage party!

I've been forgetting to post this, so will take the chance that this is seen by the one who wanted the info.

Before we sailed, a poster (I forget who :o) asked that I inquire if a liquor called Aperol is available in the liquor store. Not only is it not available, the sales clerk didn't have a clue what I was asking about.

Hope this reaches whoever wanted to know.

and I (Emily), am the one on the far left in all white. and yes, my mother, white shirt, yellow pants (longtimecruiser) was yelling something down the line at me.:D:D

by the way, can i just say that this last cruise on the Noordam was awesome. i can't say enough about everyone that i met and all of my previous cruising buddies. can't wait to do it again. right on Greg, October 31st it is!

Archived