My Time Dining

puggrandma

After sailing with Princess and seeing how inflexible they were about not adjusting their dining room designations to reflect the actual wishes (known well in advance) of their guests regarding their choice of dining options, I was pretty much convinced that it was impossible for both traditional and flexible dining to exist on the same ship. Princess' position seemed to be that their Personal Choice Dining was an overwhelming success from the start and that the extensive wait lists for traditional dining was because those guests didn't really know that they would really prefer Personal Choice so better to force them into it than alter their dining room set up to actually reflect the expressed desires of their guests. They also claimed that the long waits for tables in Personal Choice was due to traditional diners sneaking into the PC dining rooms, ignoring the fact that the seapasses, if checked at the podium, would reveal what dining style the passengers had been assigned to. All in all it was a less than satisfactory experience. However, after reading and hearing overwhelmingly favorable comments from fellow RCI passengers who opted for MY TIME DINING on our cruises on Jewel of the Seas last year, we chose to try it on Navigator of the Seas. I am now convinced that both systems can coexist if they continue to do things right. :) On the Navigator, they did. We ate at different times (of our choosing) and had the same wait staff for our entire cruise. We even ate in Chops one evening without it causing any problems to our MTD arrangement. Now, it should be mentioned that, at least initially, RCI is limiting the number of tables it sets aside for MTD so that they can work out any problems that might arise, but based on our, and others, experiences I expect that they will be expanding the program in the future. There will be occasions in the future, especially when we are sailing with a large group, that we will select traditional dining on Royal Caribbean. On other occasions, however, when it seems more appropriate, we will be happy to sign up for My Time Dining.:) If RCI continues to be successful in offering both styles of dining, I would not be surprised to see Celebrity eventually offer a similar version.

If Celebrity might be going to offer a non traditional but main dining room style of dining in the next 12 months, and if it could be limited as it is on RCI; then I had better ring my TA and get our request in for the next September Eclipse cruise first thing after the holiday weekend.

Our main requirement is to choose our own dining time between first and second traditional, because as many have already commented first is too early for us and second is way too late.

If Celebrity do introduce it I hope it works well and does not upset the traditionalists, because if that's their choice then I want them to enjoy it fully, I just hope they can feel the same about my choice.

If Celebrity might be going to offer a non traditional but main dining room style of dining in the next 12 months, and if it could be limited as it is on RCI; then I had better ring my TA and get our request in for the next September Eclipse cruise first thing after the holiday weekend.

Our main requirement is to choose our own dining time between first and second traditional, because as many have already commented first is too early for us and second is way too late.

If Celebrity do introduce it I hope it works well and does not upset the traditionalists, because if that's their choice then I want them to enjoy it fully, I just hope they can feel the same about my choice.

If they follow the Royal model it will surely be a success. I was on the Jewel cruise Bill referred to a few posts ago and it was a really good experience.

Both HAL and Princess offer both fixed (traditional) and anytime seating. When making your booking you select which option you want.

I prefer the traditioanl, fixed seating anytime

Unless you booked 12 months in advance you may not get traditional seating. That's the problem -- it's not really "As you wish" dining. We did get traditional dining on the Star Princess, but when we got to the ship they told us that the "Traditional" dining room had no tables for two. I asked if they were taken, and they said no, we don't have any tables for two in that dining room. On our Westerdam cruise we booked 10 months out and HAL wouldn't even put us on the wait list for traditional dining.

So let the market place work -- if we can't get traditional dining, we won't cruise on that ship.

The only exception is Oceania and Azamara which offers only open seating, but it seems to fit these smaller casual ships that are so port intensive.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Unless you booked 12 months in advance you may not get traditional seating. That's the problem -- it's not really "As you wish" dining. We did get traditional dining on the Star Princess, but when we got to the ship they told us that the "Traditional" dining room had no tables for two. I asked if they were taken, and they said no, we don't have any tables for two in that dining room. On our Westerdam cruise we booked 10 months out and HAL wouldn't even put us on the wait list for traditional dining.

So let the market place work -- if we can't get traditional dining, we won't cruise on that ship.

The only exception is Oceania and Azamara which offers only open seating, but it seems to fit these smaller casual ships that are so port intensive.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I have been denied the seating of my choice on cruises (Royal and Carnival) with just traditional dining as well (and cruise was booked 9 months in advance). I don't think any of these systems are perfect and it would be impossible to make everyone happy unless similar numbers of people want late seating as early seating. The benefits to anytime dining is that you don't get stuck with late or early seating if you don't want it. At worst, you show up when you want and have to wait a few minutes. I think we'll be doing the Solstice Med next summer. We'll take traditional early and when we can't make it, we'll do alternative dining. The Solstice certainly has enough venues to accommodate those who want to eat when they want. Even if I have to pay for those choices every evening, the cruise will still be much less expensive than the Princess Med cruise on their similar new ship.

I haven't seen any announcements about MTD from Celebrity.

Hi Ma:

Apparently some have returned from cruises and it has been talked about by crew. As you stated nothing official, one person earlier reported it would be rolled onto the ships this month and another said the last quarter of this year. When and if an official announcement comes out I guess we will see if it happens. Does however seem to be inevitable.

The Solstice which is the bigger ship, already has a model for variety and choice.

Everyone is assigned a table & late or early seating. They can then go to any number of other venues including a free--slightly enhanced but not full buffet (anytime during dinner hrs), or the Bistro for $5 pp-- or by making res at the three Specialty dining venues--Muranos, Tusan & Silk Harvest & possibly even Blu...Seems to work very orderly...

No need to change the present plan...... making other lines the model for X would be a mistake! (aspire up not down)

The Solstice which is the bigger ship, already has a model for variety and choice.

Everyone is assigned a table & late or early seating. They can then go to any number of other venues including a free--slightly enhanced but not full buffet (anytime during dinner hrs), or the Bistro for $5 pp-- or by making res at the three Specialty dining venues--Muranos, Tusan & Silk Harvest & possibly even Blu...Seems to work very orderly...

No need to change the present plan...... making other lines the model for X would be a mistake! (aspire up not down)

Why do you consider my time dining to be a step down when all of the luxury cruise lines, with the exception of Crystal, have had it for years? I consider it to be a step up.

I like the flexibility that anytime dining offers, but when a ship is first implementing anytime dining, it can be pretty awkward & rough.

Once the newness of it wears off for the service staff, not to mention the passengers,I think it works quite well.

I think that Anytime Dining on Premium lines would not be the model used--it'd be more like NCL or Princess where there are many who complain about waiting & other issues of service.......not anything i'd be interested in--What they have on Solstice was fine...PS Usha--I love the bunny & eggs!

I think that Anytime Dining on Premium lines would not be the model used--it'd be more like NCL or Princess where there are many who complain about waiting & other issues of service.......not anything i'd be interested in--What they have on Solstice was fine...PS Usha--I love the bunny & eggs!

Much more likely is that it would be modeled after the My Time Dining program that RCI has started on its ships and which, so far at least, has avoided the problems that plagued (and continue to plague) Princess' and NCL's models. Reaction from those of us who have tried My Time Dining has been almost uniformly positive and seems to indicate that both traditional and flexible dining options can be offered on the same ship and coexist successfully.

I feel you pay enough for a cruise that you should not have to pay extra for dining in alternate venues if you don't like dining at a set time. The 2 total open dining (a much simpler term) Oceania and Azamara, also have 2 alternate dining venues but they are essentially free (like a $5 tip charge) and are the same quality as the Murano etc. I realize that that's where & how the lines are now making money, but it truly isn't fair to passengers!

No one is forcing anyone to go on a ship without MTD. Should every cruise ship in the world be exactly the same? What kind of choice would there be then? We can all wear our jean uniforms and wallow in mediocrity. I guess that's the direction we're all heading anyway and I find it rather sad.

Much more likely is that it would be modeled after the My Time Dining program that RCI has started on its ships and which, so far at least, has avoided the problems that plagued (and continue to plague) Princess' and NCL's models. Reaction from those of us who have tried My Time Dining has been almost uniformly positive and seems to indicate that both traditional and flexible dining options can be offered on the same ship and coexist successfully.

Haven't been on RCI in years so how does the MTD work? Princess has 2 separate dining rooms for traditional and Any time dining.

No one is forcing anyone to go on a ship without MTD. Should every cruise ship in the world be exactly the same? What kind of choice would there be then? We can all wear our jean uniforms and wallow in mediocrity. I guess that's the direction we're all heading anyway and I find it rather sad.

I don't see any connection between anytime dining and wallowing in mediocrity.:cool:

What on earth does Anytime Dining have to do with mediocrity and Jeans? Someone seriously needs a class in dealing with change.:rolleyes:

I don't know why anyone thinks there is a relationship between my time dining and mediocrity. Most of the luxury cruise lines, which the typical Celebrity cruiser could not afford, have had it for years. When you dine at an upscale land based restaurant people come and go at their leisure but that does not have an adverse affect on anyone's dining experience. In fact, it enhances it because in addition to dining at a time that is best for you, you can control the pace of whether you want the dining experience to last for an hour or two hours. Based on my experience, you are also a lot more likely to get your food at the right temperature in a my time dining setting because the wait staff is not trying to serve the entire dining room at the same time.

The point I was trying to make is that it's nice to have choices. For some reason there seems to be a continual drum beat by some to make sure that all ships and cruiselines are exactly the same. The reason many luxury cruiselines have MTD is because they have smaller ships and they charge considerably more. It's much easier to do it well. It's nice to have this option, isn't it. Trying to serve thousands of people well this way is almost impossible. That's why you almost always see large gatherings served banquet style.

I don't know why anyone thinks there is a relationship between my time dining and mediocrity. Most of the luxury cruise lines, which the typical Celebrity cruiser could not afford, have had it for years. When you dine at an upscale land based restaurant people come and go at their leisure but that does not have an adverse affect on anyone's dining experience. In fact, it enhances it because in addition to dining at a time that is best for you, you can control the pace of whether you want the dining experience to last for an hour or two hours. Based on my experience, you are also a lot more likely to get your food at the right temperature in a my time dining setting because the wait staff is not trying to serve the entire dining room at the same time.

If you tried NCL or Princess anytime dining you would know why we equate anytime dining to mediocrity. Long waits poor service

Archived