Thinking about booking JS in order to make Platinum, your thoughts?

Ok, have a RCCL cruise booked for 12 days Nov. 30th, that will get us 2 cruise credits and make us Plat. Also have our first Celebrity cruise booked for a 16 day trip that leaves Oct. 10th. Now, we will not make Plat till after the Nov. 30th trip, so no bennies for the Celebrity trip. But...... if I book a JS on a 3 day in July or August, we would be there BEFORE the other 2 trips. Have always wanted to stay in a suite, but just can not justify it. Thinking this might do it.

The RCCL website says that Plat get: Discounts on balcony and suites, what exactly does that mean? We have an plain old outside cabin booked, same with Celebrity. Your thoughts please?

Thanks

Ginny

Well, you can spend the extra money for a JS and you'll make Plat....but you get no "suite" perks, except for priority check in, and ample room in the cabin..(Oh, and tub!) Is the additional spending worth what you're going to get as a Platinum member?

Don't get me wrong, a JS is a great way to cruise, but if it's going to affect you finances....not such a hot idea!

Ok, have a RCCL cruise booked for 12 days Nov. 30th, that will get us 2 cruise credits and make us Plat. Also have our first Celebrity cruise booked for a 16 day trip that leaves Oct. 10th. Now, we will not make Plat till after the Nov. 30th trip, so no bennies for the Celebrity trip. But...... if I book a JS on a 3 day in July or August, we would be there BEFORE the other 2 trips. Have always wanted to stay in a suite, but just can not justify it. Thinking this might do it.

The RCCL website says that Plat get: Discounts on balcony and suites, what exactly does that mean? We have an plain old outside cabin booked, same with Celebrity. Your thoughts please?

Thanks

Ginny

Platinum benefits are not worth spending extra money to get there.

On RCL, a platinum member would get $100 off a balcony for a 7 day cruise. Up to $200 for a 10 day.

On Celebrity, it gets you real close to nothing.

The other issue is if you are a stock holder, book during WOW or using a next cruise certificate its not combinable with the balcony discount. Heck, I think I read you cant even get a crown and anchor discount combined with the balcony discount.

I own stock which is now pretty worthless as a discount as I would be buying next cruise discounts and wanted to combine with a balcony discount. .... RCL stopped allowing this combining this year. :(

I for sure would not pay extra for a suite if your main reason to get to platinum. Im there and its not worth anything to me that I know of.

Before you pass listen to the other side. With platinum you do get robes for onboard use, a better value book, a special event, and sometimes nicer gifts.

Also, while the JS is not a suite, it does have some up side. You don't pay the suite level gratuities, but you do get a bigger room with a bigger balcony, hot water service for tea, on the newer ships I've heard that there is a much larger closet, you get a bath tub and you can use the suite level boarding in most cases. I've seen a lot of price structures for the JS where it is only about $100 more than a balcony room. While the jump from an Oceanview is greater, if it works for your budget why not. It'll also get you to Diamond faster. :)

We're taking a short cruise in a JS this summer for two reasons. First, we're travelling with our two sons; we need the room. Second, we're doing a Medeteranian Cuise next summer and the credits from the JS will get us to Diamond for that one.

I'm with Sam Fritz on this. Like him, I have an optimistic view of the JS. It is much roomier than a regular balcony room. The closet is so big you can walk in (on Voyager Class and Freedom Class), the balcony is bigger, the bathroom nicer. You get priority boarding and departure, but will not be entitled to the concierge lounge or exclusive reserved seating at the pool.

I may be wrong, but I think it does move you up higher on priority seating in the MDR. You'll have a nice comfortable easy chair and hassock to lounge on in your room in addition to the sofa. If it means anything, your Sea Pass will have a sparkly silver color instead of white. I don't know if this cuts any ice with any crew or not.

Now on the price of a JS. Find out if yoru sailing is currently offer a guarantee price on a JS. You pay less, but you cannot choose which junior suite you want. RCI assigns it for you, so you won't have a choice of deck or position in the ship. RCI guarantees you that for the special price you will be given nothing less than a JS.

There is one main problem with a junior suite if it is your first time in a suite. Once you have had a JS, you may not want to go back to a smaller cabin on future cruises.

We are in a similar situation to you. If we book a JS for our next cruise, we will be Diamond Plus after the cruise. Otherwise we would have to take two more cruises to get to D+ As of September First we will be closed out of the concierge lounge unless we are D+, so we probably will do a JS for the next crusie to speed up.

I'd do it only if I was on the verge of becoming Diamond. JS's are nice to try once to compare.

Taking two 3 nighters or 4 nighters will achieve the same 2 credits.

Yes, but taking two 3 nighters or 4 nighters in a JS will get you 4 credits. As for the $ difference it all depends on what cabin you are used to. Our first two cruises were ocean view (one partially obstructed), when DW decided to save up a bit more money and try a balcony room on the Majesty. Ended up in a GS thanks to the upgrade fairy and JS is the lowest we normally booked after that. Got spoiled. After a few more cruises we booked a balcony on the Grandeur last Nov. and got upgraded to a JS. This made us Diamond. We have now booked on Celebrity for next spring and are Elite on those ships. Still not much to brag about in the way of benefits from Celebrity.

I wouldn't do it. We've always had a JS and they're great - love the extra space and the bath. However, we've only booked them when the price seems good. Our next cruise would have taken us to Diamond if we'd booked a JS but at £1000 (yes $1600) more :eek: we decided even that wasn't worth it.

If you would like the extra space and the extra cruise credit, fine, but as others have said you don't get anything extra as Platinum to make it worthwhile.

I don't know if this will sway you, but if you become Platinum before your already booked Nov. cruise - you can get the Platinum discount for that cruise ($200 for 10 nights or above). Call Crown and Anchor after you achieve Platinum and they will adjust your fare.

Not everyone will have the same opinion, but we prefer the JS and think it is worth the extra space. It allowed us to achieve Diamond much quicker, as well.

We actually did what the OP is suggesting, and took a 5 - nighter (JS) to achieve Diamond before we cruised on the Mariner - last year. Wether or not it is "worth-it" , is subject to debate. Everyone must weigh their finances and decide for themselves.

We have booked a JS several times but only when the price is right or when we have others traveling with us. The closet are usually larger and can in a tight situation be used as a dressing room. I am watching the prices of the JS for a couple of our next cruises.

For the two credits, it can be worth it. Our JS is only $50 total more than a balcony on our 5 day Bermuda in July. We like larger rooms anyway and have never had anything but a suite, but it's a no-brainer to spend a very small amount more for a JS.

Although the price is a few hundred more for our 5 day, we are doing this also, booking the JS instead of the balcony to get to Plat. But, the real motivating factor was the extra room and the next cruise is an anniversary cruise for us ... unless I book something before then:rolleyes:.

Reading the replies is confusing. The OP is writing about going on a third cruise, prior to the ones he already has booked.

Although I'd not do it merely for points, I think an extra cruise any time is a great idea :)

We squeezed in a 3 day one year to get to Diamond. The problem was that four months later, we were still not credited with that cruise when we went on the cruise on which we were supposed to be Diamond. :mad: And no amount of phone calls and emails to C&A could fix it in time for our "Diamond finally" cruise. Even when we got on the ship, they could not confirm our "Diamond" status so we were screwed. Took another 4 months after that cruise to officially be Diamond.

At least two years ago, the C&A crediting was way behind. I hope it has finally caught up. If the difference between a balcony and a JS is $100 or so, it's a no brainer for us, now $400 is a no-go.

Unless the price is very close I wouldn't do it. I was in a JS once that was $50/pp over a standard balcony. I could deal with that and I got a nice aft cabin. Otherwise, if the price is quite a bit more, I'd rather to two short cruises than one in a nicer cabin. :)

Archived