Afternoon Tea

k9mama

For those who have been to tea on any of the Princess ships, I would love to hear about the experience. This is one of the things I didn't have a chance to investigate on our first cruise, and am thinking about for the upcoming trip. Thanks so much!

it took me 6 cruises before i made it to tea and i have gone every time since. it's lovely. there's herbal tea if you like, but you have to ask for it. there's very small (3 bite) buns and crustless quarter sandwiches-tuna, salami, veggie, egg salad, cheese and more. there's scones and cream with jam. and then they bring around the goodies, about eight different things: cream puffs, tarts, cakes. its a wonderful way to spend time in the afternoon.

It's very nice, formal "white glove" service and the little sanwiches and pastries are soooo good. It is a bit much if you have early seating for dinner though. Last September on the Star I went with a girlfriend, but on our next cruise in August it's just my husband and me and I'm afraid he'd try to order a beer if I take him along for tea:p

Yes - you can have coffee or as another poster said - herbal tea. Afternoon Tea is served every day in one of the main dining rooms. We try and go at least once each cruise - a bit old fashioned but a good experience. On a previous cruise we had a pianist playing in the dining room which made it a bit more special. The staff are very attentive and always bringing trays with goodies round and offering more tea/coffee.

On my past few cruises I have found this to be an excellent place for the CC group to meet on the first sea day. Many times we met again and again at tea. I also like the fact that it does not take a lot of time but it is in no way rushed. Enjoy!

I can add that you don't need to dress up...you can go in shorts.

Also, the whole concept may be more appealing to some than others. My daughter and I went and loved it; my husband and son wouldn't go near it--they'd rather stick with the stuff in the Lido for an afternoon snack.

Actually, I was a little disappointed. On the Caribbean Princess cruise I was on rather than serve everything at once after being seated at a table waiters with different trays would come around periodically and offer whatever was on the tray--scones, cookies, little sandwiches. What they offered was fine, but at other teas they serve everything at once so you just pick what you want in whatever order you want. Maybe this was because I got there in the middle or towards the end of the tea. I still enjoyed it and was glad I went. By all means try it and judge for yourself.

My husband and I love tea. It's a great way to slow down in the afternoon. Looking forward to the fresh scones, cream and jam. You've got to try them...not like any scones I've had in the U.S....just melt in your mouth delicious!:D

Also, the whole concept may be more appealing to some than others...

Agreed. I know some love it (most in this thread, obviously), but I did not care for it. I am not one of those who likes to make small talk with others (dinner companions excluded, becasue you see them night after night and get to know them). DH and I do not tend to go to the MDR for breakfast and lunch, for this reason. The whole experience of tea was rather unsettling for us and thus, we went once and not again. But I absolutely can understand why so many people would love it, though. It just wasn't our thing. :)

do they offer Darjeeling? I like tea in London where each person can have their own

choice of teas. I can't drink Earl Grey, Breakfast Tea is ok, but I love Darjeeling.

And, is the cream with the scones real Devon cream?

If it is, sounds like the next best thing to Brown's Hotel.

We were on Star in May - my dh & I traveled with another couple so the husbands were left to their own devices (I believe it was hot dogs from the grille with a bud lite!) & the wives went to tea. It was a pleasant, relaxing time. Met some new people & truly enjoyed the diversion. Try it at least once while you're at sea!

do they offer Darjeeling? I like tea in London where each person can have their own

choice of teas. I can't drink Earl Grey, Breakfast Tea is ok, but I love Darjeeling.

And, is the cream with the scones real Devon cream?

If it is, sounds like the next best thing to Brown's Hotel.

No it is just cream. If you go to Victoria the Empress Hotel has a great one and it has the real stuff. Expensive but good.

we are tea drinkers and I found tea on the Emerald to be OK. They serve orange pekoe from sterling teapots, waiters in tuxes with white gloves, little sandwiches and small desert items from silver trays. The scones were good but just regular cream, not devonshire. Items did arrive in a random order to our table with desserts before sandwiches, which was a little odd. We have been to more traditional tea before and so were not as impressed as when each person has their own Wedgewood teapot with cozy and a selection of tea options. But it is a relaxing way to spend a half hour. We did it once and did not feel the need to do it again but did not regret going.

I believe it is offered everyone and if you are in a suite, they will deliver it to your room! How cool..

Kathie

They will also deliver it to your stateroom if you're Elite too...

On our last voyage on the CB, I was a bit disappointed tho... We went on the day that we missed Bermuda and the dining room was packed. I think they had to bring in extra staff because alot of them didn't have white gloves on and seemed to be befuddled by the whole process. It took forever to get our scones. We didn't manage to get back to tea the rest of the voyage, so I don't know if service improved.

I'll always remember the first time I wanted to go to tea on Princess. DH said, "sure I'll try it", but the look on his face said, I don't really like tea and I'd rather not and please don't expect this to be something I do everyday. :) He loved the scones and pastries and finger sandwiches and couldn't wait to go back the next day.:D Now on our Princess cruises there are days that he goes to tea without me if I'm doing something else. :)

For those who have been to tea on any of the Princess ships, I would love to hear about the experience. This is one of the things I didn't have a chance to investigate on our first cruise, and am thinking about for the upcoming trip. Thanks so much!

Like the other poster my wife and I make it a point to get to tea. We found the princess food/service better then on Carnival, but Carnival had live music.

On Princess one of the formal dinning rooms is made available. Waiters serve you with gloves. They offer a variety of teas, coffee, scones with cream and jam, various sweet treats and sandwiches. I found food/service better early then later. Always seemed when we came in late the waiters were in a hurry to serve you and hope you'd go so then could get on and get ready for early seating. We always tried to go early too, to make sure we had room for dinner :D

Besides tea and not the proper English way of serving this..

Nobody has said nor mentioned the social aspects for which this High Tea Time was created.

Meeting other Ship-Mates is great.;)

Nobody has said nor mentioned the social aspects for which this High Tea Time was created.

Meeting other Ship-Mates is great.;)

Well actually I did, and I mentioned that meeting others and making small talk is a little uncomfortable for me.

I know tea is a nice part of the afternoon and many others enjoy it, but I also noticed the food was out of order and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to what came around, so it just seemed odd to us, is all. :o

Agreed. I know some love it (most in this thread, obviously), but I did not care for it. I am not one of those who likes to make small talk with others (dinner companions excluded, becasue you see them night after night and get to know them). DH and I do not tend to go to the MDR for breakfast and lunch, for this reason. The whole experience of tea was rather unsettling for us and thus, we went once and not again. But I absolutely can understand why so many people would love it, though. It just wasn't our thing. :)

It took me 18 cruises to get my husband to try it with me. Guess what? He LOVED it and said he'll now be happy to do it again!

We always ask for a table for 2 (breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner) so don't skip the main dining room!

Archived