Why all the jewelry stores in the Caribbean?

hunter33

There are always going to be people going to the Carribean to get married, anniversary trips, etc. But it seems like there are way more jewelry stores than should be able to be supported by tourists. Are there that many people buying jewelry on their vacations/honeymoons? I just can't see how so many jewelry stores could stay in business.

There are always going to be people going to the Carribean to get married, anniversary trips, etc. But it seems like there are way more jewelry stores than should be able to be supported by tourists. Are there that many people buying jewelry on their vacations/honeymoons? I just can't see how so many jewelry stores could stay in business.

People's brains go soft while on vacation --they tend to spend on impulse -often overpaying for things they could more reliably get at home. The net result is that profit margins are high enough to justify the multiplicity of stores.

If there are that many stores, there have to be lots of buyers.

Cruise port in the Caribbean have a lot more jewelry stores because cruise passengers buy jewelry. There is reduced or no sales tax. People are celebrating mile stone events. Jewelry is small and easy to carry home. And most of all because the air conditioned stores with the free rum tastings get the men in while the women shop. The last time most of these men were in a jewelry store with their wives was when they were shopping for wedding rings. What I can’t figure out is why there are so many jewelry stores in the Alaska ports.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

HAL – Westerdam, September 6, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

And most of all because the air conditioned stores with the free rum tastings get the men in while the women shop. The last time most of these men were in a jewelry store with their wives was when they were shopping for wedding rings.

Aunty Pat

Sounds as plausible as anything else I've heard :D It's funny ... DW was just telling me tonight that she plans to do a little jewelry shopping during the cruise, and before tonight she hadn't said a word about it. Guess I'm one of the few who aren't thinking about buying jewelry on a cruise.

The shops are there because the cruiselines steer passengers there --likely, the lines have partial to total ownership of at least some of them -- and convince passengers the deals can't be beat anywhere else on the planet, which may/may not be true.

Only jewelry I've ever bought while cruising was a lovely Pandora bracelet and two charms ... from a teeny tiny jewelry shop in Curacao that I found on my own. Fair trade item, and same price as back home except I didn't have to pay the 10% sales tax here. Lovely memories of one of our favorite ports.

I always wonder how much the sales at those chain jewelry shops actually help the locals and their island economy. My guess: not much.

Years ago, there were some good buys on gold and gemstone jewelry. There really are few, if any, bargains on jewelry in the Caribbean these days. I venture to say many of the over abundance of those jewelry stores are hurting very badly in this economy and we probably will find many closed or closing soon.

So few ships sailing in the Caribbean in the summer and when you add the poor economy, I doubt there are many spending freely in those stores.

<snip> .......

Only jewelry I've ever bought while cruising was a lovely Pandora bracelet and two charms ... from a teeny tiny jewelry shop in Curacao that I found on my own. Fair trade item, and same price as back home except I didn't have to pay the 10% sales tax here. Lovely memories of one of our favorite ports.

I always wonder how much the sales at those chain jewelry shops actually help the locals and their island economy. My guess: not much.

Illinois has a 10% SALES TAX? :eek:

I've never heard of one that high.

Canada has incredible taxes but I didn't think any of the U.S. 50 were as bad.

Cook County, which is Chicago and many surrounding suburbs, has at least 10% ... that was supposed to fill some budget hole or another but I don't think it's working.

Actually, I think it was 10-1/2% for a while and the county board rolled that back by a quarter to half percent.

We live close enough to three other counties with significantly lower rates, like 7 or 8%, so we go out of our county when making any meaninful purchases.

Whoa....... that' pretty high.

Massachusetts had 5% for years but it was just voted to up it to 6.25% (I think that's the new rate.) We go to Canada every summer and the taxes on merchandise and food tax are extremely high. We never noticed so much as we did this year..... wonder if they have risen again?

Tennessee sales tax is 9.25%, with certain cities adding another .25% or .50% on. However food is taxed much lower, there are sales tax holidays, and we are one of only 7 states with no income tax. Kentucky sales tax is much lower than Tennessee, and many of us live close enough to shop in KY.

I would be a bit wary of buying any expensive jewelry in the Caribbean. (warranty, service, appraisal value, walking around port with it, etc.) Just seems like there are an inordinate amount of jewely shops in the Caribbean ports.

While in Cozumel last year I went in a jewelry store with a friend and I had no intention of buying any jewelry but my friend did. So as I am waiting for her to try on her rings and look around, the saleslady tried to get me to look at some rings, she pulled out one for $500, I said no thank you, then she offered it for $350 and I said no and started walking away, then she said $200 and I keep going, she followed me out of the store and offered it to me for $100. I still said no because number one, I wasn't interested and number 2, how cheap was that ring really if it went from $500 to $100 in a matter of 5 minutes. It was probably a $10 costume ring that she was saying was a genuine stone, I think it was tanzanite or something.

I did purchase a very nice and not expensive Amber bracelet and earring set sold on the cruise ship. I looked online when I got home and could not find the same set for less than I paid so I feel that was fair. My husband bought a titanium ring in cozumel, but knew from my experience with the other ring that he could haggle them down quite a bit and did so. I am sure they still made a profit but online his ring was more than he paid in cozumel so we felt we got a decent deal.

But you really have to be careful and know what you are looking for and make sure you know how much those items sell for here before buying in the islands.

Whoa....... that' pretty high.

Massachusetts had 5% for years but it was just voted to up it to 6.25% (I think that's the new rate.) We go to Canada every summer and the taxes on merchandise and food tax are extremely high. We never noticed so much as we did this year..... wonder if they have risen again?

Come to Alberta Canada. Only 5% federal ales tax where other provinces can have an additional 6-7% Provincial sales tax on top of the 5% (Federal tax called the Goods and Services Tax GST for short).

Alberta is inland so no cruising but famous for Calgary Stampede, Edmonton Oilers (Wayne Gretzky early days), West Edmonton Mall in Edmonton - da Capital and lots of other stuff.

Oh and visit during the spring summer and fall...unless you love to ski. :D

Come to Alberta Canada. Only 5% federal ales tax where other provinces can have an additional 6-7% Provincial sales tax on top of the 5% (Federal tax called the Goods and Services Tax GST for short).

Alberta is inland so no cruising but famous for Calgary Stampede, Edmonton Oilers (Wayne Gretzky early days), West Edmonton Mall in Edmonton - da Capital and lots of other stuff.

Oh and visit during the spring summer and fall...unless you love to ski. :D

:D If you don't work in the province's tourism department, you should. :)

Montreal and Quebec have awful taxes. I think there's three categories charged on every purchase. :eek:

:D If you don't work in the province's tourism department, you should. :)

Montreal and Quebec have awful taxes. I think there's three categories charged on every purchase. :eek:

Yes. I have only been to Gatineau and Montreal in la belle Province - Quebec. I need to get to Quebec city for the old world charm and the excellent food! :)

I agree that there are way too many jewelry shops in the Caribbean.

And now Alaska is being taken over by the same ones -- Diamonds International, etc.

And the bargains aren't great.

In our county in PA we pay 7% -- and governor wants to raise it. Most counties in PA pay only 6%.

Cruise port in the Caribbean have a lot more jewelry stores because cruise passengers buy jewelry. There is reduced or no sales tax. People are celebrating mile stone events. Jewelry is small and easy to carry home. And most of all because the air conditioned stores with the free rum tastings get the men in while the women shop. The last time most of these men were in a jewelry store with their wives was when they were shopping for wedding rings. What I can’t figure out is why there are so many jewelry stores in the Alaska ports. If a cruise ship goes there, the jewelry stores will come!

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

HAL – Westerdam, September 6, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

I rest my case. ;)

t's easy to save big money on expensive items in the duty-free world of the Caribbean. With already-cheap prices and no sales tax, the islands are great places to find jewelry, watches, and gifts for your loved ones, or yourself. Expect to save 25 percent or more on your purchases. Below is a guide to some of the hottest jewel shopping destinations, so go ahead: splurge. 1. St. Maarten/St. Martin

SXMphilfront2.jpg© Bob Curley

The half-French, half-Dutch island of St. Martin/St. Maarten features some of the best places to shop for jewelry in the Caribbean. The most jewelers are on Front Street in Philipsburg, St. Maarten, which has the diverse offerings of Caribbean Gems, the diamonds of Shoppers Haven, and the many locations of down-home Joe's Jewelry. But don't miss the Marigot section of French St. Martin, with its boutiques offering Cartier to the shops of Colombian Emeralds International and Diamonds

nevermind :)

I personally believe there are good buys in the Caribbean if one is reasonably knowledgable about what they are buying. I recently bought a small gold chain in St. Thomas for $75. I compared prices in numerous stores before I purchased it. I was looking for a similar chain at home in the US and a comparable one was $110. The lack of sales tax is helpful also.

I wouldn't buy a very expensive piece as you can't just return it if there is an issue, but I enjoy buying jewelry momentos when I'm on vacation. I just don't pay attention to all the cruiseship sales talks-it's pretty obvious which stores they have a major interest in. Shop around.

I bought a gorgeous green little sea snail shell that had been trimmed in gold on Grand Cayman earlier this year for five dollars. I came home and put it on a gold chain I had.

I have gotten more compliments on this little shell than any other piece of jewerly that I have ever worn! Someone always mentions it, every time I wear it. :D

What a deal!!

latterdayesther

I never buy big purchases outside of the EU because of customs problems. Do you have to pay import duty in the US for the Carib. generally, or are you talking about St Thomas and other US islands?-jocap

While in Cozumel last year I went in a jewelry store with a friend and I had no intention of buying any jewelry but my friend did.

So as I am waiting for her to try on her rings and look around, the saleslady tried to get me to look at some rings,

she pulled out one for $500, I said no thank you,

then she offered it for $350 and I said no and started walking away,

then she said $200 and I keep going, she followed me out of the store

and offered it to me for $100.

I still said no because number one, I wasn't interested and number 2, how cheap was that ring really

if it went from $500 to $100 in a matter of 5 minutes. ===> :D-:D

It was probably a $10 costume ring that she was saying was a genuine stone, I think it was tanzanite or something.

LOVE that story!

It's all about "Keep your eyes on the sparkling pretty bauble,now

while I fleece you of as much as I can"

Hard not to love it, huh?

Gems and jewellery are such good value for money! :cool:

I bought a gold neckess @ one of the ports @ a jewllery store that RCCL recommended. When I got home. I went to a jewller's to have an appraisal. The Neckess was 2 1/2 times more than what I paid. I was very happy. I did not pay any taxes or declare it. :)

Archived