"LIVE" from Freedom of the Seas / Aug 2, 2009

Radio

Hello everyone. . .We arrived in Grand Cayman at about 8AM. The ship was cleared for tenders at about 830AM.

The sun is coming up over Georgetown, GC so it is difficult to get any good photos of downtown at this point.

I plan to get off of the ship around 9:30 or so. . . I am thinking of several things to do today, and I will decide when I get off of the ship.

I am thinking of the Turtle Farm, or 7 Mile Beach. . . Or maybe just walk around down town. (I have to get something for Mrs. Radio, right ?)

I forgot to mention how much I like the My Time Dining that is offered here. The service staff seems to go overboard to provide a level of service that you would get from traditional dining. It is easy to get the same wait staff, and you are welcomed like they have been your staff for week !

I give a thumbs up to My Time Dining, and I think it will even get better as time goes on.

The Carnival Conquest has joined us here today, and will follow us over to Cozumel tomorrow. The last tender for today will be at 315PM, and we set sail again at 4PM.

I have loaded up a few photos that have not been seen to my album.

They can be viewed HERE.

There are no captions yet, but I will upload lots of photos and captions soon. Keep checking in.

Here are a few pics from today. . . I have a lot of interior pics that I will post on our sea day on Saturday.

More pics later today !

Thanks for tuning in. . .

Radio

Early Morning approach to Grand Cayman

H4.JPG

We can see land. . . The sun is trying to come out !

H3.JPG

Georgetown, Grand Cayman

H7.JPG

Tenders are loading up for a day in GC

H6.JPG

The first Tender is on it way to busy Georgetown

H5.JPG

View from my Balcony on Deck 7

H8.JPG

Edited by Radio

Radio, I have to chime in to say how wonderful your posts are. We sailed Freedom last year (Eastern) and Mariner (Western) the year before. We sail on Mariner (Mexican Riviera) in 10 days and these are really getting me excited. Your posts and pics are bringing back so many memories.

Enjoy the rest of trip on the fabulous Freedom and thanks again!

Good Morning Radio......I think I saw you get on one of the tenders heading for GC :D just kiddin.......but they are certainly busy moving the folks to shore.......

Is all that construction on GC new banks :eek: for all the money that is being shipped to Cayman Banks special accounts............

Thanks for the pics can't wait until we cruise on her in January.........Please do try and enjoy the trip :)

Radio please let me add my appreciation to your wonderful postings.

I am getting ready (Sept. 6) for my third cruise on the Freedom (plus the inaugural but that doesn't count) and you have managed to get this 'old' cruiser pretty darn excited.

Now that Freedom is in PC I have a feeling I will probably be doing her a couple times a year at least.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and thanks again.

No time to read through the thread... just wanted to drop a note in from Grand Cayman... Been a great cruise so far... excellent weather... perhaps a bit warm, but that's summer for you!

It will be great to get home and cruise "all over again" reading through the thread!

Theron

No time to read through the thread... just wanted to drop a note in from Grand Cayman... Been a great cruise so far... excellent weather... perhaps a bit warm, but that's summer for you!

It will be great to get home and cruise "all over again" reading through the thread!

Theron

Theron - No idea you were on this cruise!!!! :) Have a fabulous week!!!

Thanks Radio! I see you'll be on Oasis about a month or so behind me... looking forward to that Live report as well. It'll be great to relive that vacation through your report like I'm reliving my 2006 Mariner cruise with this thread.

I forgot to mention how much I like the My Time Dining that is offered here. The service staff seems to go overboard to provide a level of service that you would get from traditional dining. It is easy to get the same wait staff, and you are welcomed like they have been your staff for week !

I give a thumbs up to My Time Dining, and I think it will even get better as time goes on.

Did you sign up for MTD before embarkation or on the ship on embarkation day?

Did you sign up for MTD before embarkation or on the ship on embarkation day?

I Pre Paid Gratuities before sailing, but signed up on Embarkation Day.

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Theron

Good to see your name pop up here Theron. Linda and I are on this trip in October (another Halloween Cruise). Can't wait.

Enjoy the cruise!

Theron

Theron ! You can read the whole thread today ! We can read it over a cup of coffee ! LOL :)

Radio

Theron - No idea you were on this cruise!!!! Have a fabulous week!!!

Yes Robyn. . . I keep walking into Theron all week. . . He was leaving the Turtle Farm today, as I arrived ! Ha ha. . .

Pics coming soon. . . I need to grab a bite ! :o

Radio

Radio, loved Jamaica and am ready to play with you in the Caymens. i just keep tumed in so i don't miss any little thing.

Weary, hi guy. Yes I'm here, but it is afternoon. Sorry i missed you this morning. I'll see you in the tuned in section later:D

Bill see you are here too. See you on the other side

The green toad

Thank you SOO MUCH, Radio!!

I was there at Island Village & Margaritaville 3yrs ago...and it was a very short visit! We also ran into the Hard Rock across the street from there and got the mandatory shot glass.:rolleyes:

Is the Hard Rock in walking distance from the ship? I have a friend that I must buy a hurricane glass for.

Is the Hard Rock in walking distance from the ship? I have a friend that I must buy a hurricane glass for.

Yep, turn right on the main street after you get off the tender and it's a couple of blocks down on the left side of the street.

Lynda

PS A couple of times we've been in that particular HR they've given us the glasses as a souvenier.............

Radio,

It seems FOTKI.com is having issues today. I cannot bring up any of you albums that are out there. I couldn't even bring up FOTKI.com. Wanted to see the pics you did not post here. Thanks a bunch for doing this.

Hello everyone ! I am back on the ship, and I managed to get very hot and very tired. I guess that what happens when you go on

vacation in August to the Caribbean. (LOL)

I went ashore at about 10AM, and went to the New Downtown passenger terminal. They have moved the Tender Pier about 2 blocks to the north and is much larger. The Passenger terminal area is very large too, and they have expanded the area for tours, and excursions. They have included several shops also, for souvenirs and last minute gift items.

I decided to go to the Turtle Farm, but the tour operators all wanted us to go on a much larger tour that included several places.

One of the women who was selling tours suggested that we take the bus. Wow. . .what a bargain! The cost was only $5. R/T.(It only took about 15min to get there)

They have moved the Turtle Farm across the street from where it was the last time I was here. Hurricane Ivan destroyed the farm in 2004, and it was rebuilt a few years ago. It is very nice and is much larger than it used to be. It is now in the Boatswains Beach area of Grand Cayman.

The cost is only $18. For the main exhibit -which includes the Turtle Breeding Area, Hatchling Display and pickup tanks, and education center. You can also do the $45. Tour which include all of the above. . .plus you will gain access to the Beach Snorkel Lagoon, Breakers Beach Lagoon (a large freshwater pool), Caribbean Aviary, and nature trail.

There are Iguanas everywhere. . . We just paid the basic fee, but they let me walk around the whole park, to take a few photos.

Right across the street (where the Turtle Farm used to be) is the NEW Dolphin Discovery. It seems to be very nice with a new large gift shop, and lots changing rooms, with rest facilities, and food choices. We hung around there also, and took a few pics. I would love to do the Dolphin Discovery next time !

We went out to the bus stop which was right between the two attractions, and were taken back to downtown(1:30PM) The lines for the tender were very short, but it was suggested that the lines get very long at about 230PM (last tender was at 315PM)

We have just left Grand Cayman for Cozumel (about 334nm). We are scheduled to arrive at 10AM tomorrow.

We will be docked at the International Pier which is just a couple of miles from down town San Miguel.

Here are a few pics from today. . I have been having a little trouble with the upload to my server, so stand by. . . They will eventually appear.

Tonight is formal night ! I think I can smell some Lobsters with my name on it. . .

More pics later !!

Thanks for tuning in.

Radio

Welcome to Grand Cayman

HH12.JPG

The new Tender Passenger Terminal in Georgetown

H9.JPG

Entrance to the Turtle Farm

H18.JPG

Here are some of the larger turtles (3-4ft long)

H55.JPG

Your intrepid reporter Radio got talked in to holding one of these little ones.

H19.JPG

Here is a map of the property

H44.JPG

Edited by Radio