Christmas Decorations ????

BruceMuzz

Christmas Cruise has just started on my ship.

So far we have found 4 different cabins whose occupants plastered adhesive Christmas decorations on the walls. We will probably find more this week.

The adhesive has an orange/red dye in it that has seeped into the wall panels.

No chemical onboard the ship will remove the dye without destroying the wall panels.

We have already ordered replacement wall panels from Germany.

Until those panels arrive two or three months from now, every passenger sailing in those cabins gets to stare at large orange letters spelling HO HO HO across the wall, as well as large orange blotches everywhere else.

As per the passage contract that nobody ever reads, passengers are responsible for any damage they cause to their cabin.

One of the cabins has already been charged $7,000.

The other 3 cabins will be charged $5,000 each.

I don't understand what sort of decorations ruined the walls. I certainly don't want them in my home so please describe what they are. I've never had any trouble with window 'clings'. Is that what they are?

I do take along battery operated strings of lights when I cruise at Christmas and have a travel sized Nativity that I decorate with fresh flowers. We also bring along cards from family and friends to open and use to brighten up the room. No tape, etc.

I don't understand what sort of decorations ruined the walls. I certainly don't want them in my home so please describe what they are. I've never had any trouble with window 'clings'. Is that what they are?

I do take along battery operated strings of lights when I cruise at Christmas and have a travel sized Nativity that I decorate with fresh flowers. We also bring along cards from family and friends to open and use to brighten up the room. No tape, etc.

They purchased the decorations at Walmart.

There are all sorts of designs; letters of the alphabet, flowers, wreaths, santas, snowmen.

There is an adhesive attached to the back. Just peel off the plastic covering and slap them up on the wall. It is only when you peel them off that you notice that the dye from the adhesive remains behind.

I'm afraid that we are going to find many more this week. Some of our passengers are going to have some very expensive Christmas cruise memories.

Too many people just do not think. They probably had no idea that their decorations wouuld have left indelible residues -- I feel sorry for them -- I hope OP follows up with information on the responss those passengers gave upon being billed -- I am inclined to think they would just ignore the charges -- unless a credible threat of collection efforts is made.

I guess we will read about how they will never sail with XXX because they charged them $$$$ for the damages :D:D

Yes, you are probably right.

I'm not so sure anyone would exactly welcome them back with open arms. :eek:

What would possess someone to glue their own decorations on walls of a hotel or cruise ship? What were they thinking?

There are better ways of decorating one's cabin without causing any damage. We used a magnet (that we purchased in one of our ports) to put up a map of the Hawaiian islands to enjoy on our way back to the west coast on our last cruise. (it was either the wall or the upper berth bed that was magnetic) We also brought along some miniature ornaments (Spongebob) to hang up on the lamps, etc. Again, nothing that would damage the cabin, but add to the festive mood of the holidays. On our previous holiday cruise, I put up a foam sticky menorah by the TV, but used regular tape that didn't leave any residue mess behind and the same for the holiday crafts that my daughter made in the kids' program.

Those same sort of decorations are likely damaging homes, schools, offices and furniture all over the world!

And ships in addition to Bruce's.

The folks who are charged damages may protest their credit card charges when they get home and make a real battle out of it.

I feel sorry for these people. I would think this wasn't a deliberate act on their part and that they had no intention of destroying anything. I wonder if the ship charges a person if they sit on a chair and break it. Or if they spill red wine on the sofa and it gets stained.

I understand the need to be responsible for your actions. I just feel bad for these folks that had no idea that their Christmas cheer would be so expensive.

There are better ways of decorating one's cabin without causing any damage. We used a magnet (that we purchased in one of our ports) to put up a map of the Hawaiian islands to enjoy on our way back to the west coast on our last cruise. (it was either the wall or the upper berth bed that was magnetic) We also brought along some miniature ornaments (Spongebob) to hang up on the lamps' date=' etc. Again, nothing that would damage the cabin, but add to the festive mood of the holidays. On our previous holiday cruise, I put up a foam sticky menorah by the TV, but used regular tape that didn't leave any residue mess behind and the same for the holiday crafts that my daughter made in the kids' program.[/quote']

There is almost no place in HAL suites that a magnet sticks. I've tried. Most HAL cabin doors do not hold magnets but there are 'damage free' adhesives that can be used if one absolutely Must decorate their door or cabin. These people should have used some common sense and been respectful of other's property. If it was white walls in their own home, one would think (hope) they would pay more attention to safely attaching anything without doing damage. The were careless and clueless and should pay for the damage IMO

It isn't likely too many people would purposely spill red wine on a couch or carpet but hospitality business knows that happens. They also have cleaning solutions to do a decently good clean up.

Edited by sail7seas

There is almost no place in HAL suites that a magnet sticks. I've tried. Most HAL cabin doors do not hold magnets but there are 'damage free' adhesives that can be used if one absolutely Must decorate their door or cabin. These people should have used some common sense and been respectful of other's property. If it was white walls in their own home, one would think (hope) they would pay more attention to safely attaching anything without doing damage. The were careless and clueless and should pay for the damage IMO

It isn't likely too many people would purposely spill red wine on a couch or carpet but hospitality business knows that happens. They also have cleaning solutions to do a decently good clean up.

Any teacher supply store has adhesive which looks like silly putty that sticks to walls and leaves no mark. Believe it or not, rubber cement does the same, as long as the wall is not papered! There are now strips you can get [48/pkg] that lets you hang papers/decorations and then remove. Lots of options that leave no trace!

I feel sorry for these people. I would think this wasn't a deliberate act on their part and that they had no intention of destroying anything. I wonder if the ship charges a person if they sit on a chair and break it. Or if they spill red wine on the sofa and it gets stained.

I understand the need to be responsible for your actions. I just feel bad for these folks that had no idea that their Christmas cheer would be so expensive.[/qusote]

There is a difference between accidentally spilling wine and sticking posters up on a wall. Would those people have stuck their signs up on their living room walls?

I just think that these people probably had no idea that their decorations would stain the walls. And in that regard it was an accident. Perhaps you think they knew it would stain the walls and did it anyways. Neither of us knows for sure but I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

As for the wine it could be argued that everyone knows what a terrible stain it could leave and by drinking it you take the chance that something could be ruined if you spill it.

It's just my opinion that both of these situations could be viewed as accidents.

Sadly, I see it as more in the vein of "it's my vacation and I'll do what I want". I think it's part of the self-centered, who cares about anyone but me kind of mindset.

Not a popular opinion, but it's how I view it. :(

I do have the feeling that these people will challange those charges.

The more I have thought about this -- I don't think they knew that the decorations would ruin the walls. We have no idea if they have used this same type of decorration in their home walls.

Agreed -- I think it highly probable that they will challenge the charges. However, in booking their cruise they did sign on to the contract with the line -- in which they presumably accepted responsibility for any damage they might cause to their accomodations. Even if it were an accident, it would still be damage they caused - for which they are responsible. Try telling a neighbor that you are not responsible for repairing damage to their fence because you accidently rammed it.

I tend to agree with 7 Seas that a self-centered attitude is likely to be involved.

I talked to several people about family business and asked if anyone had bought such decorations. Bingo! At Walmart and dollar stores. The colors, especially the red, are very bright.

Do not buy any of this things on the mark down sales!

If you already have stuck them on walls, furniture, windows, mirrors and such, I have no idea how to get them down without damage and the color tint is in the adhesive.

Edited by PennyAgain