Bermuda - sniffer dogs and conduct warrantless searches without probable cause.

Shacky316

The US lawyer should know his own law.

http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/c...in-florida.htm

http://www.mpp.org/states/florida/

also under US law, a customs border search doesn't need probable cause either. This is well established US common law exception to the need for probable cause to do a search http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_search_exception.

Its also true that Bermuda like other flag of convenience country leaves it to other countries to try cases of alleged criminal conduct that occur on its ships especially when that cruise doesn't stop at Bermuda. I can image the howl if someone on cruise from Florida to the Bahamas was arrested in Florida extradicted to Bermuda to be tried for a crime that occurred in Bahamian territorial waters. Besides the fact that witnesses would be had to find, there is more than enough adequate places to try the miscreant. I would like to see the case where a person wasn't tried some where for such a crime- either where it occurred or in the US under US law...and not under the flagged countries courts.

I have been to Bermuda about 7 times and have seen the dogs on twice.

They knock on the door. If you don't open it security will open it for them.

Simple solution - if you use drugs - don't sail on a ship to Bermuda - go somewhere else more (or less) inconveniencing.

agreed I have also seen crew dragged off the ship under arrest in Columbia...for drugs

anyone seen midnight express?

Edited by smeyer418

Simple solution - if you use drugs - don't sail on a ship to Bermuda - go somewhere else more (or less) inconveniencing.

Simpler solution--don't do drugs, or anything else illegal for that matter.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140624/NEWS04/140629872

Wow. Had not heard of this before. I'm not a smoker, but do not like the intrusion. What is the experience like if you happen to be in your cabin when they show up?

Im pretty sure they will knock… Im also pretty sure they only enter cabins where the dogs pick up the sent of weed so no weed no intrusion.. Bermuda has been doing this for a very long time, they no have no tolerance for people bringing drugs into their country. Good of them!!!! I enjoy the Safety of Bermuda, they have rules that they enforce thus making it a very civilized and safe place to live and visit. Why should they allow someone to come into their country and disobey their laws??

Remember when your traveling outside of the US you do not have the same rights you have in the US.

It is Bermuda. U.S. laws do not apply.

In fairness, it IS a money grab on their part but they make the rules.

Bermuda is part of the English commonwealth. They use the same "common law" as we do. England has the Magna Carta we have a constitution but the same English common law that allows Border searches without a warrant or even reasonable suspicion(a lower standard than reasonable cause) allows the same search as we would allow here. US custom officials and their sniffer dogs(the one you see sniffing your luggage on international airports) can and do the same on ships in US ports.

You think fining people for Cuba cigars is any less of a money grab? or that speed trap in Pahue Wyoming....

Yep. Locked Up Abroad is another eye opener (haven't watched any of those yet and probably not as graphic as Midnight Express).

LOL many of the jail scenes in Midnight Express were filmed in Eastern States(PA) Penitentiary in Phily but the point is on a ship and in foreign county its their rules and a US passport is of limited help.

Bermuda is part of the English commonwealth.

Just being pedantic, there is no such thing as the English Commonwealth. It has gone by various names (British Commonwealth, The Commonwealth, Commonwealth of Nations are probably the main ones), but has never been English.

'Maritime attorney Jim Walker has suggested that authorities here target passengers in order to make money through fines — but are “indifferent” to arresting “real criminals” such as rapists or other violent offenders on-board ships because “there’s no money to be made”.'

Uh possession of illegal drugs IS a real crime!

Nothing new here. Travel outside the US - US laws do not apply. It doesn't matter whether it's by air, sea or land crossing - everyone is subject to their law and order and possession & use of "illegal" drugs as defined locally.

Cruise lines and ships have been known to post special warnings for travelers to these ports - and shouldn't have been taken onboard in the first place. And, if by chance - "mistakenly" taken - "dispose" and "discard" it in the Atlantic ocean before it reach the islands.

Be glad for not getting discovered in other parts of the world - where even cash and/or credit card won't get you out of trouble or out of jail.

Only 1 time did I personally witness a drug-sniffing dog inside of a cruise ship...and that was in 2005 (I think), while we were doing a Western itinerary on the CCL Glory, in Costa Maya. We later found out they found something...because people were taken off the ship.

Nothing new here. Travel outside the US - US laws do not apply. It doesn't matter whether it's by air, sea or land crossing - everyone is subject to their law and order and possession & use of "illegal" drugs as defined locally.

Cruise lines and ships have been known to post special warnings for travelers to these ports - and shouldn't have been taken onboard in the first place. And, if by chance - "mistakenly" taken - "dispose" and "discard" it in the Atlantic ocean before it reach the islands.

Be glad for not getting discovered in other parts of the world - where even cash and/or credit card won't get you out of trouble or out of jail.

Drugs? Travel to Singapore folks... they don't permit chewing gum! It's illegal to use chewing gum or bring it into the country (seriously). When you land, you are given a sheet of paper with the country's rules, (remember the US kid arrested for graffiti?) and in bold letters at the bottom stating more or less if you don't intend to abide by our rules, do not get off your plane and return home.

We've been to Bermuda three times so far and have seen the dogs boarding the ship twice. Anyone that is dumb enough to take illegal drugs into a foreign country deserves to be arrested IMHO. And yes, the dock is "in a foreign country."

Wonder what this "lawyer" and others think about the drug sniffing dogs when you come into the U.S., warrantless search if the dogs alert. Same thing in the Port of Miami when the dogs come on the ships and patrol the hallways, if the dog alerts on your door, they enter with ships security and search the room including safes. If your carrying or in possession, your busted.

I posted on another thread about our first trip to Bermuda in 1974. The Bermuda customs people went through every item in DWs cosmetic case.

Most thorough inspection I've ever seen.

I had an old first sergeant who used to say, "Play ball with me or I'll ram the bat up your ***."

Correct me if i'm wrong... when a ship docks in port of a foreign country, they are subject to the laws of that country i.e. the ship became and extension of Bermuda subject to her laws. So, Bermuda has every right to bring drug sniffing dogs on board.