Will Princess honor price drop after final payment?

atlantic cruiser

Not in this situation yet but booked cruise early. No price drops as yet. What happens if price drops after final payment. Are you just out of luck? or do they offer an OBC for the difference. I would be afraid to cancel and rebook in case my original cabin got snagged before rebooking procedure completed (provided reduction was large enough to cover lost deposit and then some) What is the best thing to do. Thanks.

Not in this situation yet but booked cruise early. No price drops as yet. What happens if price drops after final payment. Are you just out of luck? or do they offer an OBC for the difference. I would be afraid to cancel and rebook in case my original cabin got snagged before rebooking procedure completed (provided reduction was large enough to cover lost deposit and then some) What is the best thing to do. Thanks.

Watch the price until final payment date,get a reduction if it gets lower, then after final payment never look at it again for to do so invites nothing but heartache and despondency.

Edited by Griller

It all depends on the promotion and whether it's a price drop or a special promotion. Princess usually has a "Flash" sale for new bookings only rather than drop prices after final payment so you'd have to cancel, risk losing everything, and re-book. I'm going to sound like a broken record but a good TA that books a lot of Princess cruises will get you a lower price to start with. When you book directly, you're paying the highest price, the equivalent of the manufacturer's suggested retail price.

Our TA watches the prices and gets us the lower price up until final payment. Once final payment is made we have not gotten any further reductions.

As previous poster mentioned I never look at the price after final payment.

If there is a price drop in a higher category than you're booked in, will Princess allow you to upgrade to that category? So if I book a BA for $1000 and then the price of an AA minisuite drops to $995, for example, would I be able to upgrade?

This JUST happened for us yesterday. My husband had noted that the price of full suites had dropped to within £100 of the price we had paid for our Mini. We called our TA as soon as they opened on Monday morning and they contacted princess... got us transferred over and we are now booked on an Aft full suite for a 14 day Hawaii next April. When the Princess rep processed the change some other discount came into play and we are actually now to be paying less than we originally booked the Mini for. Happy Happy Happy!! :D:D

This JUST happened for us yesterday. My husband had noted that the price of full suites had dropped to within £100 of the price we had paid for our Mini. We called our TA as soon as they opened on Monday morning and they contacted princess... got us transferred over and we are now booked on an Aft full suite for a 14 day Hawaii next April. When the Princess rep processed the change some other discount came into play and we are actually now to be paying less than we originally booked the Mini for. Happy Happy Happy!! :D:D

Good catch - and congratulations! Enjoy.

Sounds like is was far before final payment date.

Well, congratulations! But that's before final payment - I was wondering about after.:)

I actually disagree about not looking at the price after final payment. The price on my Sapphire Princess cruise over New Year's dropped $120 dollars after final payment. I called Princess and they immediately refunded the money to my credit card.

I had not expected that Princess would refund the money, but thought it was worth asking. I was fully expecting they would only allow me to upgrade to a nicer cabin - which in that case was only the difference between an obstructed oceanview guarantee and an oceanview guarantee. Either way, there is only a possible upside, and it takes very little time to call and ask.

I actually disagree about not looking at the price after final payment. The price on my Sapphire Princess cruise over New Year's dropped $120 dollars after final payment. I called Princess and they immediately refunded the money to my credit card.

I had not expected that Princess would refund the money, but thought it was worth asking. I was fully expecting they would only allow me to upgrade to a nicer cabin - which in that case was only the difference between an obstructed oceanview guarantee and an oceanview guarantee. Either way, there is only a possible upside, and it takes very little time to call and ask.

You were extremely lucky. I've never known Princess to adjust rates after final payment.

During the last spring sale Princess refunded $ to some, upgraded some & told others "no" promotion was for new bookings only.

It doesn't hurt to ask. This was after final payment.

You were extremely lucky. I've never known Princess to adjust rates after final payment.

I don't mean to imply that this is necessarily the norm, I just thought I would pass along my experience. I scanned these boards when trying to ascertain Princess' policy on price drops, and had I not seen one post indicating that a person successfully received a price adjustment after final payment, I would have been less likely to ask for the price drop at all. The agent was incredibly friendly and took care of it within a couple minutes.

Perhaps I am just lucky--the last time I received a price drop after final payment was for a transatlantic cruise in 2007 on Royal Caribbean. I had been assigned a cabin and was thrown back into the inside guarantee pool because I took the adjustment. The end result was an upgrade to a nicer cabin.

I booked the April 28 Crown transatlantic in mid February (which was final payment time). We went on a different cruise immediately after booking the April 28 cruise. When we arrived home in mid March, Princess was offering a new, lower price on the April 28 cruise, so I asked my TA to check on it. She said Princess would be crediting our credit card the $200 difference in price, and they did! It never hurts to ask!

We booked a cruise package with a well known travel agency. (air, cruise, hotel) and paid for it when we booked (agency requirement)

I now see that the cruise price has dropped. I called Princess & they said I had to go thru my TA for any possible price adjustment. (this is also after final payment for regular clients ie not our package situation)

My agency said no adjustments possible, which did not make me too happy.

If I had booked with Princess independently, the rep said that even tho' it was within the 90 days, they would honour the difference. But since I had a TA, I had to go with them negotiating with Princess.

Do I have the correct info here? Yes, I learnt my lesson (forget dealing with this agency). Is it better to deal with another TA or just deal with Princess myself?

I normally have a TA but I also have done things with Princess myself.

• 2 weeks later...
We booked a cruise package with a well known travel agency. (air, cruise, hotel) and paid for it when we booked (agency requirement)

I now see that the cruise price has dropped. I called Princess & they said I had to go thru my TA for any possible price adjustment. (this is also after final payment for regular clients ie not our package situation)

My agency said no adjustments possible, which did not make me too happy.

If I had booked with Princess independently, the rep said that even tho' it was within the 90 days, they would honour the difference. But since I had a TA, I had to go with them negotiating with Princess.

Do I have the correct info here? Yes, I learnt my lesson (forget dealing with this agency). Is it better to deal with another TA or just deal with Princess myself?

I normally have a TA but I also have done things with Princess myself.

I wing it without a TA for most of my bookings for the reason that then I can check myself for sales and act on the information quickly. Case in point-- Carnival Cruise booking on the Tropicale for two in 1996, 10 days in the Caribbean at a total price of $1795 with air to San Juan. Good deal but then I saw a sudden and fairly dramatic price drop before final payment on a one-day sale. I called Carnival and they immediately gave us the price break and refunded our card $900. The other couple we were traveling with couldn't get through to their TA on a Saturday and missed out. With the internet, it is so easy to do your regular checking. Travel agents may not have the time to check for you on a regular basis.

I agree that after final payment, not much can be done on most cruise lines with the exception of an upgrade. I upgraded an inside for a balcony on an 18 day transatlantic cruise on Costa last December for $120 more because of a last minute balcony sale. I spotted the sale. I was checking the Costa site on a regular basis. Takes me two seconds to peek. It wasn't an advertised sale. I had booked with an agent so I had to call him to call Costa and it all worked out but I generally prefer to go without an agent unless the agency sweetens the initial booking with a substantial discount or shipboard credit that they cover over and above what you can get by booking directly with the cruise line. I generally compare several agents' prices and the options of direct booking before I put down the deposit. But then again, I do my own taxes and sell my own homes without realtors. I have to save somewhere because I don't like to do my own pedicures or massages.

I have verified with Princess many times ... and yes, they will discount your fare after final payment.

The only caveat is if you go through a TA and they will not allow it. If the TA has taken less commission to give you a great deal to begin with, and then you ask for a further discount because Princess offers it, you are taking away their bread and butter and they may not allow it.

But bottom line is -- Princess allows it.

If you work directly with Princess just give them a call and it's a done deal. When establishing a relationship with a TA, this would make a good point of discussion.

If the promotion you booked under is discounted, Princess will refare it to the lower rate at any time before you sail. Makes no difference if you have already made your final payment. The promotion must be applicable to you...and cannot be a promotion for new bookings only or a Flash. But, just to clarify, the fare can be adjusted at any time-as long as the promotion applies to your booking!

I wing it without a TA for most of my bookings for the reason that then I can check myself for sales and act on the information quickly.
I'm glad you're happy with the pricing you've gotten but when you go through a TA that books a high volume of Princess cruises, you'll usually pay less than any promotion Princess has to start with (excepting Flash sales.) You can often save 10-20% off the Princess prices. I'd much rather save than have to constantly watch prices or look for a sale. To each his/her own. Edited by Pam in CA

I booked a cruise 1 day before FP once. I paid in full. The price went way down the very next day. I had a fit. I called Princess and complained as did my TA(who sold a lot of Princess). We fought back and forth for a few days until Princess finally upgraded us. No refund. I won't look at prices after FP anymore, it's too upsetting.

During the last spring sale Princess refunded $ to some, upgraded some & told others "no" promotion was for new bookings only.

It doesn't hurt to ask. This was after final payment.

So TRUE! This happened to us..price drop happened after final payment. I contacted my TA.....she called Princess and we were upgraded from an inside to a (obstructed) OV--no extra cost to us. That was great as far as we were concerned since the OV cabins are larger. It really NEVER hurts to ask!

It is my understanding that it depends on what kind of promotion is offered. Flash sales are not matched after final payment. I have a TA that I have worked with for the past 30 years. She generally calls Princess to see what they will do, sometimes they do, sometimes not. I just had this conversation last week with my TA. It makes you want to wait to book at times. I really hate it when they have the sale a couple of days AFTER final payment!

We don't get price drops here in the UK, booked early last year and saw the price drop significantly before our cruise.

Held off booking this year and its paid off with just over £2000 saving (inc air) compared with last year, that represents a 40% saving to us:).

Diffrent ship but same cabin number as we loved our aft balcony last time so much.

Would love to be able to book early and take advantage of price drops, as it is our best bet is to hold out and hope that your cabin of choice is still available, even if that option was only abailable upto final payment - you don't know how lucky you are in the US.