Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Connecting flight or stopover?

We live in Florida and are taking a Celebrity Solstice cruise from Sydney to Auckland. We will be taking a land tour first to Cairns, Ayers Rock, Alice Springs and Sydney. After the cruise we will fly home from Auckland.

I think it would be better to break up the flights by stopping for a night in LAX each way. My husband thinks it wouldn't be worth the hassle of going to a hotel with all the luggage and then back the next day.

We will be traveling with a group of 10 and we are all young seniors. What would you recommend?

Old May 9th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Your husband is right.

I have made several trips to Australia from the U.S. East Coast and on one of those trips, I also thought it might be a good idea to break it up with a stopover in LA. It was more trouble than it was worth to get our luggage, go to an airport hotel, have a not-so-great sleep and then get ourselves and our luggage back to the airport for departure. We felt no more rested when we got to Sydney than we had on any of our direct flights. I will never make that mistake again.

You end up wasting a lot of time (and money) that could be better spent in Australia. I'll admit that the flight from the East Coast to Sydney is LONG, but the reward is so great. You really want to get to Australia as soon as you can.

Old May 9th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

In our experience on numerous similar itineraries, we don't really need to stop on the West Coast on the outbound trip after the initial flight, as that is just a simple medium-length (approx 5 hr) daytime flight westward to Calif.

On the return trip, one normally gets to Calif in the early morning after sleeping poorly (if in an Economy seat) on the 13+ hr overnight flight. In that case, there is arguably some merit in stopping in Calif., but only if one can stop for at least 24 hours. Stopping there for only a few hours would just prolong the misery. Stopping for approx 12 hours (i.e., for the day) would probably be even worse, as for many people it would be difficult to get to sleep in daytime, and then you would be flying (this time Calif to east coast) for the 2nd night in a row.

John

Old May 10th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm looking at the same thing.

If I can find a flight that gets me home before 9:00 PM (and doesn't involve a second red eye) I'll head straight home. Some of the routings I am looking at won't get me home until after 1:00 AM local time or are on a red eye getting me home at 7:00 AM.

So, I'd prefer to just get it over with and get home, but only if we can make it early enough to try and get readjusted to our home time.

Given the cruise ends in Auckland which has more limited flights, we are looking at spending the day in Auckland and seeing the sights and hearing out early the next day connecting in Sydney and then home.

Star Princess July 2011
Westerdam March 2011
Caribbean Princess August 2010
Millennium March 2010
Crown Princess July 2009
Emerald Princess August 2008
Grand Princess July 2007
Radiance March 2007
Constellation July 2006
Brilliance March 2006
Summit March 2005
Vision March 2004
Vision July 2003
Splendour March 2003
Galaxy March 2002
Millennium August 2001
NCL Sky March 2001
Rhapsody May 1997

Old May 11th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

I fly from New Orleans to Melbourne often. I like to break it up with a stop-over in San Francisco. I absolutely refuse to fly through LAX.

Even though the westbound trans-Pacific flights leave late night California time, I find it's nice to have the hotel the night before on the way to Melbourne because then I do not have to worry about short connections/delayed flights. And I have cut it much too close for my comfort a couple of times.

On the way from Melbourne to New Orleans, I will get a room if the connecting flight/s will not get me into to New Orleans before midnight. It's just easier to spend the afternoon/night in SF and then head home in the morning after a good night's sleep, rather than get in at 2 or 3 in the morning and try to sleep for 4-5 hours and have to be useful.

Plus, SF is a nice place and BART makes it so easy to get from the airport into the tourist center. But even if I took leave of my senses and flew through LA, I would get a hotel room the night before the westbound flight.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Our cruise ended in Auckland. We spent the day touring there, Jim Archer picked us up at the ship. After our tour of Auckland he took us to the airport for (most of us) a flight to Sydney.

We spent the night close to the airport in Sydney and had a morning flight out to LAX where we had a couple of hour layover before a flight to Atlanta. We got to Atlanta about 3:50pm. It was a long, tiring flight, but I would do it again over stopping overnight in LA.

Azamara Quest May 2014 Mediterranean
Queen Mary 2 August 2013 Transatlantic
Viking Jarl August 2013 Rhine
Celebrity Solstice March 2013 Australia/New Zealand
Monarch of the Seas October 2012 Bahamas
Celebrity Millennium August 2012 Alaska
Eurodam February 2012 Caribbean
QV December 2011 Hawaii Holiday
Carnival Triumph April 2011 E. Caribbean
Crystal Symphony June 2010 Mediterranean
Eurodam December 2009 Caribbean
Crown Princess October 2009 New England/Canada
Norwegian Majesty May 2009 Bermuda
Crystal Symphony November 2008 Panama Canal
Emerald Princess January 2008 Caribbean
Star Princess October 2006 Transatlantic including Iceland/Greenland & British Isles
Caribbean Princess 2006 Caribbean
Island Princess August 2005 Alaska
Carnival Sensation May 2005 W. Caribbean
Coral Princess 2004 Panama Canal
Regal Princess August 2003 Baltics
Carnival Pride September 2002 W. Caribbean
Ocean Princess 2000 Caribbean
Oceanic, Premier Cruise Lines, November 1995 Caribbean
Florida,P&O Cruises, 1965 Bahamas

Old May 11th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama ghost View Post
Our cruise ended in Auckland. We spent the day touring there, Jim Archer picked us up at the ship. After our tour of Auckland he took us to the airport for (most of us) a flight to Sydney.

We spent the night close to the airport in Sydney and had a morning flight out to LAX where we had a couple of hour layover before a flight to Atlanta. We got to Atlanta about 3:50pm. It was a long, tiring flight, but I would do it again over stopping overnight in LA.
I have a question for you about Jim Archer. We have him booked for our visit to Auckland. How did you find his service?

10/85 NCL Southward
10/86 NCL Norway
10/88 Carnival Holiday
10/94 Carnival Fantasy
10/97 Carnival Fantasy
12/99 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas
12/01 RCCL Voyageur of the Seas
12/01 RCCL Majesty of the Seas
11/02 Carnival Legend
10/03 RCCL Serenade of the Seas
11/03 RCCL Serenade of the Seas
06/04 Carnival Victory
11/04 RCCL Navigator of the Seas
05/05 RCCL Voyager of the Seas
09/05 RCCL Empress of the Seas
11/05 RCCL Jewel of the Seas
05/06 RCCL Radiance of the Seas Hawaii
11/06 RCCL Explorer of the Seas Repo to Miami
05/07 Celebrity Galaxy TA
12/07 RCCL Legend of the Seas 15 Day TA
04/08 RCCL Voyager of the Seas 13 Day TA
10/08 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 11 Day Repo
05/09 RCCL Serenade of the Seas 14 Day Alaska
10/09 RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5 Day Caribbean
11/09 RCCL Independence of the Seas 13 Day TA
04/10 RCCL Jewel of the Seas 11 Day Panama
08/10 RCCL Liberty of the Seas 7 Day Western Carib
10/10 RCCL Oasis of the Seas 7 Day Eastern
09/11 Carnival Freedom 6 Day Western
12/11 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 12 Day Carib
04/12 Celebrity Solstice Western 7 Day
08/12 RCCL Jewel of the Seas 16 Day TA
12/12 RCCL Explorer of the Seas 10 Day Caribbean
04/13 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 9 Day Caribbean
09/13 RCCL Jewel of the Seas 7 Day S. Caribbean
09/13 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 5 Day Bahamas
03/14 RCCL Rhasody of the Seas 11 Day Queensland
04/14 Celebrity Solstice 18 Day Australia to Hawaii

Old May 11th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2910car View Post
We live in Florida and are taking a Celebrity Solstice cruise from Sydney to Auckland. We will be taking a land tour first to Cairns, Ayers Rock, Alice Springs and Sydney. After the cruise we will fly home from Auckland.

I think it would be better to break up the flights by stopping for a night in LAX each way. My husband thinks it wouldn't be worth the hassle of going to a hotel with all the luggage and then back the next day.

We will be traveling with a group of 10 and we are all young seniors. What would you recommend?
I am of the opposite opinion. Sorry folk I think some of you are mad to say 'push thro'. At what point do you give your poor body's rest......

I do the same whether travelling to the US or Europe. To Europe, which can be from 20 hours to 24, I will fly to Singapore ( 7hrs) , stay in a hotel so my body gets a full nights sleep in a horizontal position then a 13-14 hr flight onto Europe ( ideally around 10am) so fooling the body it's flying during its natural daytime cycle. As for the US, I would never think of flying from Australia thro to the East Coast in one flight - same concept - 13-14 flight - land west coast break rest/sleep- flight next morning onwards for 4-5 hours to east coast.

Helps body adjustment, sanity, your not getting home driving around doing chores that first day light headed (so therefore some of you are saying you drive your autos not having 100% faculties - sleep deprivation IS the equivalent of driving under the influence of alcohol in reaction time and concentration).

Nope..ease into a flight..break it up into its parts...arrive very much less jet lagged.
Princess.
NCL (never again).
CTC Lines (USSR - actual wasn't bad).
Celebrity Cruises.
Chandris Lines.

Last edited by 6andy6; May 11th, 2013 at 07:18 PM.

Old May 12th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSINGFAMILY View Post
I have a question for you about Jim Archer. We have him booked for our visit to Auckland. How did you find his service?
We had heard about Jim on cruise critic and emailed him about a tour in Rotarua, but he was booked for the day we were to be there. He offered the Auckland tour with pickup at the ship and transfer to the airport which worked great for us. We had a group of 8 and he took us all around Auckland with stops for coffee and lunch. We had a great time with him.

Azamara Quest May 2014 Mediterranean
Queen Mary 2 August 2013 Transatlantic
Viking Jarl August 2013 Rhine
Celebrity Solstice March 2013 Australia/New Zealand
Monarch of the Seas October 2012 Bahamas
Celebrity Millennium August 2012 Alaska
Eurodam February 2012 Caribbean
QV December 2011 Hawaii Holiday
Carnival Triumph April 2011 E. Caribbean
Crystal Symphony June 2010 Mediterranean
Eurodam December 2009 Caribbean
Crown Princess October 2009 New England/Canada
Norwegian Majesty May 2009 Bermuda
Crystal Symphony November 2008 Panama Canal
Emerald Princess January 2008 Caribbean
Star Princess October 2006 Transatlantic including Iceland/Greenland & British Isles
Caribbean Princess 2006 Caribbean
Island Princess August 2005 Alaska
Carnival Sensation May 2005 W. Caribbean
Coral Princess 2004 Panama Canal
Regal Princess August 2003 Baltics
Carnival Pride September 2002 W. Caribbean
Ocean Princess 2000 Caribbean
Oceanic, Premier Cruise Lines, November 1995 Caribbean
Florida,P&O Cruises, 1965 Bahamas

Old May 12th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andy6 View Post
I am of the opposite opinion. Sorry folk I think some of you are mad to say 'push thro'. At what point do you give your poor body's rest...
Yet another case of "each to his own". Different people react differently to the stresses of long flights, and cope in different ways. And the experience differs from person to person, e.g., cramped economy seats are worse if you are tall; connections (and baggage transfer times) in the U.S. are slower if one is not a U.S. citizen; frequent fliers on the airline in question may be better treated. We can probably all agree that long-distance multi-stage flights are very tiring & stressful, and it is well worth doing whatever is most effective for the people in question in reducing the fatigue & stress. The best solution will vary among people. Perhaps this thread will at least give the OP some ideas regarding what to consider and what might be best in their particular case.

John

Last edited by J-D; May 12th, 2013 at 01:38 PM.

Old May 12th, 2013, 02:32 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6andy6 View Post
I am of the opposite opinion. Sorry folk I think some of you are mad to say 'push thro'. At what point do you give your poor body's rest......

I do the same whether travelling to the US or Europe. To Europe, which can be from 20 hours to 24, I will fly to Singapore ( 7hrs) , stay in a hotel so my body gets a full nights sleep in a horizontal position then a 13-14 hr flight onto Europe ( ideally around 10am) so fooling the body it's flying during its natural daytime cycle. As for the US, I would never think of flying from Australia thro to the East Coast in one flight - same concept - 13-14 flight - land west coast break rest/sleep- flight next morning onwards for 4-5 hours to east coast.

Helps body adjustment, sanity, your not getting home driving around doing chores that first day light headed (so therefore some of you are saying you drive your autos not having 100% faculties - sleep deprivation IS the equivalent of driving under the influence of alcohol in reaction time and concentration).

Nope..ease into a flight..break it up into its parts...arrive very much less jet lagged.
Everyone is different. We flew home to the US from Africa, got home that night, and I went back to work the next day with no problem.

Old May 12th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D View Post
Yet another case of "each to his own". Different people react differently to the stresses of long flights, and cope in different ways. And the experience differs from person to person, e.g., cramped economy seats are worse if you are tall; connections (and baggage transfer times) in the U.S. are slower if one is not a U.S. citizen; frequent fliers on the airline in question may be better treated. We can probably all agree that long-distance multi-stage flights are very tiring & stressful, and it is well worth doing whatever is most effective for the people in question in reducing the fatigue & stress. The best solution will vary among people. Perhaps this thread will at least give the OP some ideas regarding what to consider and what might be best in their particular case.

John
Well said, John.

Old May 12th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We are flying from Washington DC area and are just about ready to purchase a flight from JFK to HNL Honolulu break for day and half to get to day that flights to AKL (T TH S only) roundtrip. This is actually cheaper than west coast. For some odd reason it is more to travel on the non-stop from Washington DC than the one 150 miles away in NJ (EWR) though same airline. It is much cheaper to do a trip to HNL and a separate ticket to AKL since Hawaiian is not in the same alliances and Air NZ also does not show up. Essentially try finding your way to LAX *most flights*, SFO (watch you don't just end up going to LAX from other cities), HNL, You can also go through PPT (Pappette French Polynesia) or Nadi (Fiji) but those are through LAX. Air Tahiti Nui has some decent fares. Australia does not give you a break because the long flight is LAX to SYD and why do customs/etc for another country?

I will do most anything to avoid LAX! I love Hawaii because I can snorkel 2 times in 24 -36 hours and that is . PPT is so expensive for hotels it makes Hawaii look cheap and NAD don't go for a hotel more than a few miles from the airport -- nice but roads are very very slow.

Consider your health. If you have problems with legs and wear compression stockings -- I need relief every 12 -15 hours! Dehydration of long flights give me leg cramps.
Consider your marriage or friendship. After a 30 hour flight I can't stand myself let alone anyone else. I am past cranky, maybe past stinky, and definitely you would not want to be dealing with me in any way. Others maybe have a different opinion but for me (especially going) I need to break it up. GOOD LUCK wish there was the choice of instant getting to the starting point like they do it in Harry Potter or Wrinkle in Time

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2014Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island
2013 Disney Dream 2012Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West ColumbiaR;2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fijords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchanment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.

Old May 12th, 2013, 08:17 PM
10,000+ Club

Default Stop-Over Options, Trade-Offs??!!

Quote:
We live in Florida and are taking a Celebrity Solstice cruise from Sydney to Auckland. We will be taking a land tour first to Cairns, Ayers Rock, Alice Springs and Sydney. After the cruise we will fly home from Auckland. I think it would be better to break up the flights by stopping for a night in LAX each way. My husband thinks it wouldn't be worth the hassle of going to a hotel with all the luggage and then back the next day. We will be traveling with a group of 10 and we are all young seniors. What would you recommend?
As noted by others, there are "trade-offs" and pro/con factors to consider. As folks from Ohio, we understand that it is a long ways to the west coast and then ALL of the way on down to Australia and back from NZ.

We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night trip to and in Queenstown and then stopping in Hawaii with four nights on the Big Island on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. On the way down, we will do two nights and one full day in Honolulu to break up that long travel distance.

American Airlines is flexible with Hawaiian Air in allowing such stop-overs without added costs when using Frequent Flyer miles. Maybe on purchased ticket, too. As we have not yet been to Hawaii, these stop-overs are a nice "bonus".

We have a nice and super active roll call for our early 2010 cruise going at:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754
Welcome to any who want to join us for this trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for that "adventure". Lots of details and pictures posted on this roll call for options to consider and do while being down there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 5,348 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Old May 13th, 2013, 12:47 PM
30,000+ Club

We are going the opposite direction in March, LAX to Sydney but our cruises will eventually lead to the 12 day Hawaii back to Vancouver so only a 2.5 hour flight home. We live 120 miles E of LAX, have our own International airport and will refuse to use LAX but traveling to Sydney we had no choice. We got beautiful fares thru Choice Air direct. it was as much as $800 less then the Web prices are showing for our total cost. We will be flying Qantus. I hope we survive the 15 hour flight.

Old May 13th, 2013, 06:49 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Food for Thought

Quote:

Have you considered a stopover on the way home longer than overnight? For example, if you stop at a hotel with free shuttle for a couple of nights, you could visit Santa Monica to relax before you fly back to the East Coast.

Or you could visit the wonderful J Paul Getty Museum.

If you are flying Air NZ you can select one of the beautiful South Pacific Islands for a stopover (Fiji, Cook Islands, and Tahiti).

This way, the long journey becomes an enjoyable part of your holiday.

I agree that now over zealous security has made overnight stopovers not worth the effort!

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Last edited by MMDown Under; May 13th, 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Old May 13th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

We just did that same flight in the spring. We used Frequent Flyer miles and had some guidance to the many bloggers that I read. We flew from the East Coast to SFO. We then flew on Asiana in Business Class (frequent flyer miles thank you very much) to Seoul. With business class, even if it is a free ticket, we got lounge access. We then flew from Seoul to Sydney. We felt like we had a good night's sleep on the first leg since we had lay down flat seats. The second leg we had angle and I was so tired that it didn't matter that it was angle, I slept. For the trip home, we decided to explore another city as out free stopover. We chose Singapore. We found it difficult getting flights out of Auckland, we flew instead to Brisbane, went to the lounge again and then off to Singapore. After few days there we flew home via Beijing nonstop to the East Coast on United which I would not recommend. If you have time, sign up for some credit cards, make the minimum spend and ear the miles to get to either upgrade to business class or just fly business class.

Whether you push through or stop over somewhere, you are still going to be jet lagged - at least coming home. It took us about 2 weeks to go back to normal sleeping hours. Someone said it take 1 day to adjust to one time zone.
Sailed HAL Zuideram Panama Sunfarer 2/2011
Sailed Celebrity Century 1/2011
Sailed Avalon Felicity - Rhine River 10/2010
Sailed HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean 2/2010
Sailed Carnival Ectasy 4/2007
Sailed Princess - Alaska 6/2002