Greece's Many Issues

JVNYC

Tourists stranded in Greece? lol, nope.

- Atm's stopped working indeed for 12 - 18 hours during last weekend. The problem was in many cases poor re-supply rate because of extremely high demend on cash withdrawals. The problem was not that much felt in tourist areas, still it was intense for that time in residential suburban areas.

- During this interval credit cards were normally accepted where they are, online web banking was operative while debit cards could also be used as cash to pay.

- Atm's function has been back to normal gradually from the day before yesterday Monday, June 29th morning when atm's were filled up again with cash.

- Atm's now work fine with no queues and with no limit for internationally issued cards. A daily limit has been imposed though for debit cards issued locally, so as locals we can withdraw only up to 60 euros a day while we can use debit cards elctronically with no issues.

- Legel tender here in Greece is the Euro. I doubt many businesses will accept US. I am almost sure any supermarket, especially in Athens for example, would decline a payment in USD. Tourism related on the islands may be accepting USD payments when you don't have any euros, doing the conversion for you, still i doubt this is a common practice.

- as for the refugee issue. . . well. . . the Daily Fail article is greatly exaggerated. There is no refugee crisis in Athens or the islands although we do have an increased influx of immigrants or asylum seekers mainly in four islands in Greece and at least two locations in Italy and Spain. The numbers in Greece are appx. 20 - 40 arrivals per island per day during summer months.

We have created an extremely extensive thread and multiple other threads in Trip Advisor - Greece forums where you will be able to find local updates from local contributors and travellers. Still. . . don't be sure what you read in the news is not exaggerated.

Nick from Athens

nick_arch in TA,

not tourism related :)

Edited by nick_arch

As for our spirit, no we are not angry.

I 'd guess we are worried.

That's a different thing and considering the volatility of our lives, well. . .i 'd consider it a very logical and human reaction.

Other than that, i doubt someone would notice we have fiscal issues in the tourism areas in Athens, or the islands, except if someone watches the news.

Tourists stranded in Greece? lol, nope.

- as for the refugee issue. . . well. . . the Daily Fail article is greatly exaggerated. There is no refugee crisis in Athens or the islands

Nick from Athens

nick_arch in TA,

not tourism related :)

You mean something reported in the media was ::gasp:: exaggerated? Not completely accurate? I'm shocked. (not!);)

I think we cal all relate to the fact that the media might be exaggerating some aspects of this crisis for Greece. I am in the midst of planning a cruise out of Venice for Apr/May 2016 and was concerned about the uncertainty. However, the people of Greece have been so nice and beautiful in the past that I won't worry about anything except enjoying them! I will bring my Euros and/or US Dollars and head there with no concern next year.

Thank you, Nick, for the local update! Best of luck to you and and everyone in Greece, and maybe I'll see you next May!

I plan to visit Athens and Rhodes in May 2016. And I plan to spend ridiculous amounts of my tourist dollars there :D I think many of us have plans several months in the future and should not be concerned, other than our concern for the welfare of the Greek people at this moment in time.

These issues tend to resolve themselves far less dramatically then they are portrayed in the media. In the meantime, my thoughts are with the people and my hope is that they are not left in any critical need (food, housing, etc.) while the politicians puff their chests at one another.

I visited Corfu and Kefalonia last week and everything was fine. Corfu's economy doesn't seem as healthy as Kefalonia's but all in all, cruisers really enjoyed their stops in those two islands. Beaches were packed and tourist spots were bustling. I don't see why one would avoid getting on a cruise that stops in Greece simply because of the economic instability.

We read this article on our BA flight to Kos. As ever it was hugely exaggerated. Kos was not overrun with migrants. We didnt see any migrants until we visited Kos Town and even then there were absolutely no problems. Only real evidence was a group of men waiting outside the Government Building near Hippocrates Square. They were waiting for the papers that would enable them to leave Kos which apparently take two to three weeks. The migrants have no wish to remain on the Greek Islands. The article also mentions begging. The only people begging were the gypsies who have been doing that, in a very non threatening way, since I first went to Greece 40 years ago. Saw more beggars on Venice Beach in California!

We love the Greek Islands !

We read this article on our BA flight to Kos. As ever it was hugely exaggerated. Kos was not overrun with migrants. We didnt see any migrants until we visited Kos Town and even then there were absolutely no problems. Only real evidence was a group of men waiting outside the Government Building near Hippocrates Square. They were waiting for the papers that would enable them to leave Kos which apparently take two to three weeks. The migrants have no wish to remain on the Greek Islands. The article also mentions begging. The only people begging were the gypsies who have been doing that, in a very non threatening way, since I first went to Greece 40 years ago. Saw more beggars on Venice Beach in California!

We love the Greek Islands !

The Daily Mail (UK equiv of Fox) exaggerating the illegal-immigrant situation, Mrs M.?

Surely not :D

Next you'll be telling me they claim immigrants will send property prices crashing and crime soaring ;)

JB :)

I am greek living in athens at tge moment...our new government destroyed our economy we have capital control at the moment but after the referendum taking place this sunday everything will gradually get back to normal..for all of you being concerned do t worry debit and credit cards are freely used anywhere so you can use this for any purchase..just please i would like to ask you not to widthdraw cash from atms since cash on the banks at this time is very limited and in few days there might be no more left for the greeks to withdraw..you know a lot of greeks only use cash they dont use debit or credit cards for payments so if cash finishes they will be devestated..i try to use my debit card as much as possible for all my purchases please do the same..the old people in greece have never used this kind of transaction and i would be devestated watching them not being able to withdraw any cash from the banks anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please post political related comments hesitantly :-) Everyone has an intense point of view on these matters and i can find many right points and many wrong points in each side. Let's keep it off any political comments and keep the information flowing for travellers.

I am sure huge majority of the travellers are deeply concerned, nevertheless, at the moment, political reality in Greece is a matter of ours, the locals, to solve.

Update from Athens:

I also posted this in Trip Advisor - Greece forum:

"No issues at all with fuel, supermarkets and so on.

Just got back from supermarket. Despite the hillarious photos in many news sites, i saw no missing products.

Pressure to the system is quite big and supermarkets work as if it's a day before Christmas, but it seems to be working all right. For example, supermarkets are full and people are shopping.

One funny detail. The woman in the cashier told me that people are bying most of all. . . what?

Beers, wines and spirits. . . Doh. . . someone would expect us to purchase in total panic flour and sugar as some news sites imply . . and we raze the beer and wine department :-)

----------------------------------

Many atm's have queues of 5 - 6 people. Nothing that i 'd call abnormal, still request for cash is big and this is where a flaw of Greek economy is coming up. Due to lack of widespread credit card use people are using cash. Many friends of mine, intheir 30's, 40's don't even use web banking.

Result is that they have to visit multiple atm's to get cash, just to deposit in in another account for rent for example. . . when they 'd be able to do it from their living room in less than 2 minutes. The 60 euros per day limitation also would work even better if it was a 420 euros per week thing. Many people will anyway have to use these funds. . . but making them to go multiple times at an atm just adds pressure to the system.

So

For locals some problems, mainly have to do with logistics and how to circulate money. It directly affects those unfamiliar with web banking and so on.

For travellers no issues.

No issues with fuel or supermarkets.

Atm's have some queues but nothing i 'd call abnormal. I see similar queues in most European cities.

I echo the advise to limit use of atm's and keep the cash flowing for locals. Atm's do work properly and with no limits for travellers, since it's always a good idea to bring cash from aroad or use your credit card or debit card asn an electronic mean of payment wherever possible.

Thanks to both of the people whose posts have been so helpful. As an American who has been to multiple Greek islands and love the people and the places, I do plan to come again and would never blame the people for government issues. Hope things work out well and that you are INUNDATED with travelers willing to spend huge amounts of CASH!

Maybe I'm different, but what about how the MIGRANTS feel? They are simply trying to survive, not stealing from anyone, not begging. I would feel inclined to offer to buy a meal or give them money for groceries. Just think what a horrible position that would be to have to leave your home with only what you could carry and try to survive with nothing. I would think people could be a little bit more humane and care about others instead of worrying about being seen eating!

Thanks to all the locals who are posting and keeping us up to date. The news reports don't look good ~ so what else is new? We expect to be there will bells on and will be happy to bring cash with us if that's what it takes to get by. We are so excited to explore the many places in Greece ~ starting and ending in Athens. Thanks, again & wishing you Athenians nothing but the best. See you next month1:)

The news portray a picture that has not a lot to do with reality.

Unfortunately a lot of the pressure and false information comes out from Greek sources too. . . both sides, this of "yes" and "no" do press us to vote for one side or the other.

So, media supporting side of "yes" publish all day long things like "we are sinking", "we collapse" and media supporting side of "no" publish all day long "all good" and "vote for no" etc.

So. . . i guess we are caught somewhere in the middle. . .

What matters is how things really are. And right now. . . despite the big problems for local people not familiar with web banking and online transactions ( elder people do have a problem ) there are no other reported problems, regarding food, medicines, fuel. . . and we are somewhat astonished from what we read in both international and local press.

The huge problem right now is the bank holiday which i deeply wish will end next week, even if capital controls stay in place. Keeping the physical banks closed makes no sense for a number of reasons that are far more practical than all this financial analyses. Keep an 85 years old man out in the sun waiting to make a withdrawal for half an hour? or get him in an airconditioned space to wait sitting?

So, we do have practical issues and are definitely different than all the doom and gloom media portray about food shortages ( lol ), fuel shortages ( lol ). Practical issues right now have to do with money circulation, making transactions, lack of POS machines. . . things that with some clever thinking could vastly improve conditions for locals.

Is any of these impacting travellers? I seriously doubt, except the "bring some more cash" precaution / advise which i 'd consider very sound. Even this though does not affect travellers coming in from cruise ships, imho, which is the main interest of this specific forum.

So, yes, we do have some problems, things are not pink tinted, these issues have nothing to do with food, safety or fuel supply though. They have to do with big problems on every day transactions and spending a lot of time to inform people, get them to know online-banking which is working fine and adjust to the limited liquidity.

Yesterday for example, i spent two hours helping a friend to set up web banking with one of the major banks to pay his rent, make online transfers to pay his power bill blah blah blah. I had to tackle all his fears ( "i wanna see the real money", "i don't like online banking" ) to finally set up the online account. Two hours to set up an online banking account in his home pc while the procedure took 10 minutes only in a physlcal bank to get all the equipment and documents.

These issues have nothing to do with "yes" or "no" or political reality, something that is not of interest of this forum and something that anyway is pretty hard to solve and will need time. Still, even skipping this huge thing, we desperately need reforms, we desperately need young people to act as if it's 2015 and not 1965 and to see where things go from here instead of sinking in one oz of water thinking it's a whole ocean.

Back to the issue: credit cards work fine, web banking fine, atm's fine ( although queues of 5 - 12 people in central spots ), food always fine, fuel fine, airports fine, seaports fine.

Next week will be a week of intense political thinking for the EU. A referendum result either in favor of "yes" or "no" will produce another landslide of press articles. . .

What future holds for Greece? I have absolutely no idea.

What future holds for travelllers to Greece? Again i have absolutely no idea but right now things are cool, sun is bright, cafeterias despite the articles are full, restaurants are full and supermarkets are full too. With both locals and travellers. . .

Edited by nick_arch

Wow! Thanks for the detailed updates Nick. It is such a difficult time for you and I hope everything sorts out in the interests of the Greek locals. I will be sailing in May 2016, so understanding the ground reality. Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks so much for the local input from Greece. we will be there in late September and excited about it. We will bring Euros with us but hopefully much will be stabilized by then. Blessings to you all for what you are going through. And as the Greeks know, a little wine does help. m--

Just checking in since we will be traveling next month and have an organized tour in Anthens.

Thanks to all the locals for the info,and I hope and pray that things resolve for the best!

Looking forward to seeing Greece!!

Please come back after the cruise and share your experience. We saw a U.S. TV clip yesterday referring to Greece in such a derogatory manner I'm not surprised people are worrying possibly beyond need. The debt per head is less than that in the USA

We have 10 ports of call in July in Greece starting in about a week. Hopefully everything will be calm

Good luck with your upcoming cruising (and adventure)!! From the Wall Street Journal today, they have this headline: "Greeks Vote in Historic, and Divisive, Referendum" with this important (to me) highlight: "The referendum appears to have split Greece along lines of age, affluence and ideology. The young, many pensioners, the poor and those with pronounced left-wing or nationalist right-wing views are leaning toward a 'no.' Middle-class, middle-aged and politically centrist voters are more likely to vote 'yes' to protect Greece’s place in the eurozone."

Here is another key highlight from this WSJ analysis: "The first exit polls are due after voting ends at 7 p.m. Greek time."

Those who have enjoyed and love Greece will be watching with interest and best wishes for those cruising and visiting this lovely country in the upcoming weeks.

Full story at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/greeks-vote-in-historic-referendum-1436095669

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 110,603 views for this posting.

Please come back after the cruise and share your experience. We saw a U.S. TV clip yesterday referring to Greece in such a derogatory manner I'm not surprised people are worrying possibly beyond need. The debt per head is less than that in the USA

I think the problem is the debt in relation to Gross Domestic Product, where Germany has 78%, the USA 107%, while Greece has hit 177%.

This figure has risen from 100% for Greece in just 2006 to 150% in 2011 to the current 177%.

The Eurozone debt to GDP, which includes Greece, is at 91%.

The real test will come between today's no vote and the 20th of July.

If banks do not re-open this week and if one or more of Greek banks were to fail before the 20th, things could change very quickly. This is a very unpredictable situation.

I think the problem is the debt in relation to Gross Domestic Product, where Germany has 78%, the USA 107%, while Greece has hit 177%.

This figure has risen from 100% for Greece in just 2006 to 150% in 2011 to the current 177%.

The Eurozone debt to GDP, which includes Greece, is at 91%.

The real test will come between today's no vote and the 20th of July.

If banks do not re-open this week and if one or more of Greek banks were to fail before the 20th, things could change very quickly. This is a very unpredictable situation.

Change quickly to what when it comes to tourists? Do you know any facts or are you just stating your opinion to make people nervous. Statements like these are no help whatsoever. We all know how to read CNN, Reuters and Twitter.

I will say this... And I WAS there in 2012 during the elections... Expect strikes which WILL affect tourist spots (particularly any government run ones such as the Parthenon which was closed the day we expected to visit). Expect disruption in public transit, including airports, buses, ferries, and trains. I am not saying it will happen all at once, but any visitors need to expect any or all of these circumstances and plan accordingly for them.

The Greeks were wonderful and welcoming and I can't speak highly enough for their warmth and generosity, but there were--and will be--disruptions which will affect tourists. Plan accordingly.

I will say this... And I WAS there in 2012 during the elections... Expect strikes which WILL affect tourist spots (particularly any government run ones such as the Parthenon which was closed the day we expected to visit). Expect disruption in public transit, including airports, buses, ferries, and trains. I am not saying it will happen all at once, but any visitors need to expect any or all of these circumstances and plan accordingly for them.

The Greeks were wonderful and welcoming and I can't speak highly enough for their warmth and generosity, but there were--and will be--disruptions which will affect tourists. Plan accordingly.

Our cruise departs 7/18 and we are flying in from Rome on 7/16.. Our ship has 5 port stops in Greece that I'm very much looking forward to -- really hope we have no trouble getting there.