Room service procedure, specifically removal

Red Lodge

While I would never put my tray in the hall I seem to remember that when we first started cruising ( a long time ago) it was common practice. I do remember on several cruise lines seeing many trays in the hall. From that observation I can see why people think that this is the way its done. (this was on the old smaller cruise lines--long gone)

While I would never put my tray in the hall I seem to remember that when we first started cruising ( a long time ago) it was common practice. I do remember on several cruise lines seeing many trays in the hall. From that observation I can see why people think that this is the way its done. (this was on the old smaller cruise lines--long gone)

The weird thing is that there's a card on tray that specifically asks you not to put your tray in the hall. Maybe HAL should have remedial reading classes in addition to Windows workshops.

Will passenger X please report to the King's Room for remedial tiny sign reading.....

The weird thing is that there's a card on tray that specifically asks you not to put your tray in the hall. Maybe HAL should have remedial reading classes in addition to Windows workshops.

Will passenger X please report to the King's Room for remedial tiny sign reading.....

I never thought the sign was that small :p:D;)

At least, we haven't needed a magnifying glass, YET :)

Room Service is always delivered with a cloth napkin. If you have a late night snack, lay the napkin over the dish so you won't have to look at the dirty dish.

Please don't ever leave trays in the hallways or near stairs. :eek: Both are an accident waiting to happen.

One could also slide the tray under the bed (lay the napkin over first) and bring it out the next morning before leaving the cabin. This is helpful if your also ordering in breakfast.

Yeah, but that's for other people :D. I don't think I've ever seen trays in the hall on Hal but it seems more common on princess.

Yeah, but that's for other people :D. I don't think I've ever seen trays in the hall on Hal but it seems more common on princess.

Sadly, I have. The people in the next cabin were always putting their tray outside the door, and it was very difficult on the days my DH was in a wheelchair and trying to get by. We talked to the concierge about it, and after about a week they stopped doing it.

Sadly, I have. The people in the next cabin were always putting their tray outside the door, and it was very difficult on the days my DH was in a wheelchair and trying to get by. We talked to the concierge about it, and after about a week they stopped doing it.

We, too, have seen plenty of room service trays in the hallways. Not every hour of every day, and not outside every cabin, but it happens frequently enough that we have noticed. Of course, DH and I are quite active, so we are often walking around and get the opportunity to see what's going on.

I'm pleased to hear that the concierge was able to get things sorted out with your neighbours.

Sounds they were slow learners. :rolleyes:

We often eat dinner in the cabin and I tip the delivery man $10 when he brings dinner and another $10 when he comes for the dishes.They always arrive at exactly the time we request and come immediately for the dirty dishes.On our last two transatlantic crossings we always had the same man for delivery and pickup.I love that HAL allows ordering off the MDR menu for in cabin dining.No more tuxes or suits on formal night.Nothing better than cocktails and dinner on the balcony.

Perhaps they were so prompt delivering and picking up is that word got around that you were a generous tipper. :D

No word to get around as it was the same employee each time from the start.I think that a certain person has designated area or deck to service.A few extra $'s on a cruise doesn't matter to me and it appreciated by the hard working staff.I can't imagine being away from home for 9 months and dealing with such different passenger demands.JMHO

We, too, have seen plenty of room service trays in the hallways. Not every hour of every day, and not outside every cabin, but it happens frequently enough that we have noticed. Of course, DH and I are quite active, so we are often walking around and get the opportunity to see what's going on.

I'm pleased to hear that the concierge was able to get things sorted out with your neighbours.

Yeah, I don't sit around either but I prefer to be outside instead on walking the inside of the ship looking for dishes. I can be inside at home.

Edited by cruz chic

We often eat dinner in the cabin and I tip the delivery man $10 when he brings dinner and another $10 when he comes for the dishes.They always arrive at exactly the time we request and come immediately for the dirty dishes.On our last two transatlantic crossings we always had the same man for delivery and pickup.I love that HAL allows ordering off the MDR menu for in cabin dining.No more tuxes or suits on formal night.Nothing better than cocktails and dinner on the balcony.

This is a bit off topic but Hal has dumbed down the dress requirement. As long as you have pants and a collared shirt you're good to go on formal nights.

It took awhile! But yes, you're right, you'd have to be blind to miss the trays that get left outside. I give a little leeway as they might be new cruisers, but just a little common sense should tell them you do NOT do that on a moving vessel with narrow hallways.:eek:

I just throw my dirty dishes off the balcony, I figure the coral could use the plates and cups as new reef material.

(I kid! I put them in the hallway a few doors away so no one knows they were mine. ;) )

:D:D:D Thank gosh, a sense of humour around here!!

We are also up before the Lido opens. Early morning is my favorite part of the day. I am typically up at 6am on weekends at home (we still work full time). The Lido is actually quite nice when it first opens. Likewise for breakfast in the MDR.

igraf

We are very early morning people. We are up and at it before the Lido is even open. Love to walk around the ship in the morning when it is still dark and quiet.

We usually open the Lido with a cup of coffee and a Danish. :)

i just throw my dirty dishes off the balcony, i figure the coral could use the plates and cups as new reef material.

(i kid! I put them in the hallway a few doors away so no one knows they were mine. ;) )

Love this too funny

Edited by Monsoonalblue
Wrong emoticon

Sometime I like to have a glass of milk and two (ok, maybe 4) chocolate chip cookies delivered late at night. I wish HAL had smaller trays for such a small room order. Hmmmm, maybe in December I'll just take the glass and plate off the tray when it's delivered.

Now that is a SMART idea ;)

all you have to do when you call for pick up is tell them to bring a tray.

Edited by kazu

I have been in some mighty fine hotels and they have many stars by their names in ratings and yet there are dirty dishes in the hallway (and sometimes for more than hours!) placed there by staff cleaning rooms (different departments). This is disgusting:eek: The technology is already available that times trays in and out electronically so that someone is reminded to come back for the tray.

The only time I usually eat in the cabin is when forced to by that dreaded cabin confinement (cruise jail for having tummy problems). I would think that it is VERY important to not put the remains of your yellow jello out in the hall because it could spread disease.

Come on folks -- let's all just be tidy. Keep the dishes in the room until picked up and if you put a certain "tone" on it they will be taken away. Not to be rude but do you notice that low cabins don't comment on eating in the cabin -- too tiny and the little round table in front of sofa isn't that comfy! It's a suite expectation problem maybe! Kin to first world problem probably.

Not to be rude but do you notice that low cabins don't comment on eating in the cabin -- too tiny and the little round table in front of sofa isn't that comfy! It's a suite expectation problem maybe! Kin to first world problem probably.

Really? You can tell from these posts what cabins people occupy? :confused:

Hard to tell who you are being ruder to: the people in the "low cabins" that are too small for comfortable room service or the slobs in suites! :eek: