Has this happened to anyone else before?

wreckem2013

YES, it happened to me. Was pulled into a room where they dug through my luggage only because I was traveling Solo. I hated it. I didn't even know who they where- never ID'ed themselves. I guess it was kind of obvious the were the Government but I didn't what the F*%$ was going on. All I know I was pissed, it was Profiling. I let 'em have- told them "This is why people hate the Government and don't like people who work for it." They actually made it kind of quick and were a little Sheepish. Can't imagine what it is like for a young man of color living in inner city.

• 2 weeks later...

Not when traveling solo, but, when my boyfriend and I returned to Baltimore on a cruise, I was pulled into a room for extra screening. They said it was because my birth certificate was from MA and my license was from VA. Please note, this was 40 some years since my birth in MA. :rolleyes:

In 2005, I was triple searched at MCO. I was singled out because I was traveling alone, on a one way ticket. Actually wasn't really alone, I had already checked in my Dog.

The one way ticket was purchased by the Federal Govt, I was on Government orders due to a job relocation.

When I travel Solo, I always expect to be stopped and scrutinized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone solo and particularly women are often viewed by TSA and Customs as a drug mule. My favorite question that I have been asked more than once by a Customs agent is "why would you go on vacation alone?" I always answer, "because I can". My luggahge has been searched top to bottom more times than I can count. It gets old but nothing you can really do about it.

I am so dumb, I have been asked about traveling Solo a few times, it never crossed my mind that was a "suspect" activity. My luggage has been searched once, if it had not been a note from TSA I would have not known, they did not make a mess.

Lots of people think it strange that I'm sailing solo. Like even good friends!! They ask all kinds of questions. My thought is that it takes a strong and self-confident person . I have been traveling worldwide for MANY years with my dear husband. Sadly he passed away several months ago. I will continue to travel. My first solo cruise was wonderful. On a cruise ship you can be alone but never feel alone!

I love your attitude ,please accept my condolences on the passing of your husband.

Reader

I am so dumb, I have been asked about traveling Solo a few times, it never crossed my mind that was a "suspect" activity. My luggage has been searched once, if it had not been a note from TSA I would have not known, they did not make a mess.

You are not dumb!!!lol

Hubby is an older spanish guy with a very heavy accent.

Gets questioned extensively when ever we go through customs,(very common spanish name) think John smith!

For years (his name) was on the no fly list ...of course it was not him!

Anyway he thinks these guys are just being friendly. I do not have the heart to tell him they are looking for inconsistencies in his story. :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

You are not dumb!!!lol

Hubby is an older spanish guy with a very heavy accent.

Gets questioned extensively when ever we go through customs,(very common spanish name) think John smith!

For years (his name) was on the no fly list ...of course it was not him!

Anyway he thinks these guys are just being friendly. I do not have the heart to tell him they are looking for inconsistencies in his story. :)

Reader

I thought they were being friendly also. The bubble I live in has been busted. :o

I haven’t had a full search conducted at an airport, but I’ve had customs agents ask questions about why I’m travelling alone. I have a funny story about being questioned by customs about a pair of shoes after a singles cruise.

Before my singles cruise, I mentioned on the single cruise FB page that I found a great pair of shoes for the cruise, but they cost $70 more in Canada than in the US after the exchange rate. A woman in California offered to pick up the shoes and I offered to buy her a drink on the ship as thanks for the favor. I paid her for the shoes and took her out for lunch in Naples Italy, where we shared a bottle of wine.

When returning to Canada, the customs agent noticed the receipt for my shoes was from a location which I hadn’t declared as part of my trip. The customs agent couldn’t understand why a woman would bring a pair of shoes, half-way around the world, for a man she didn’t know. After showing him the single group's FB page, he finally let me go.

• 2 weeks later...

This has happened to me when going through customs in MIA. They pulled me into the little room and rummaged through all my stuff.

Kept asking the same questions in different ways.

Why I was alone, who paid for the trip, how did I get the money to pay for the trip.

They said they would hold me up and miss my flight, I was in no rush, had about 6 hours to kill.

MIA-DADE police were involved.

I thought they were going to mess with me again yesterday. The customs guy looks at my passport and asks "are you traveling alone?" I said "that's correct." He gives me a real serious look and repeats "are you traveling alone?" I started laughing and said "yes." He hands me my passport and says "welcome back."

Edited by Saint Greg

First time we came thru Canadian immigration after a cruise, my husband and I didn't realize we should have been together at the window. I went through the door into the airport. And no husband. 20 minutes later he appeared. He was taken to a room and questioned. Lots of questions about was he alone and why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 1 month later...

I've travelled many times as a solo traveller (I'm Canadian) to Europe and the States over the past few years since my husband passed away. I've never even been asked if I'm travelling alone or with someone else. And have not (I hope I don't jinx myself) had any secondary screening or questions when going through Customs and Immigration.

This wasn't a cruise but about 10 years ago I traveled alone to Hong Kong. Had a great time. Of course I overpacked and when I packed my suitcase to return to the U.S., I had additional items I purchased and I literally sat on it to get it zipped. As soon as I got through the entrance doors of the airport I was approached by a uniformed official, even before I had checked in, questioned about where I had been, where I was going, why was I traveling alone, etc. He asked to look through my suitcase (large suitcase) and I told him I had to sit on it to get it closed. He said he would help me get it closed again and proceeded to lie it on the floor, right in the middle of everyone, and went through everything. He did close it back for me. In the U.S. I may have made a stink about it but I don't when I'm alone in a foreign country.

Something similar also happened to me at Charles deGaulle in Paris and upon return once to the Port of Miami. I'm just never surprised when it happens and I keep my cool.

• 1 month later...

I once was once hauled into the 'naughty section' and not sure why - I did respond I was travelling alone to the customs agent upon returning to Canada - when asked if I had anything to declare I said no - I think it was odd that I had no liquor or tobacco with me - but that was true - and I think they didn't believe me?

I was sent into CBSA hell where they were yelling at everyone and I felt very intimidated as they yelled at me to turn off my cell phone ( was trying to tell hubby I would be delayed getting out of the airport as he was waiting curbside) - they questioned me - opened my luggage, rifled thru it, kept asking me what I brought back (like a couple of t shirts/souvenirs) - and finally let me go. Let's just say it was a MOST unpleasant and upsetting experience.

I then applied for my NEXUS card and have never looked back LOL - best $50/5 years i have ever spent - never have to be questioned or hauled out again and lots of perks with fast tracking and special lines! Love it! :D

I travel solo often, including cruises and have never had any of these things happen. I think that some of you are making a lot more out of things than you need. Sometimes you are searched because fo hat you do or don't put on yur customs form, it has nothing to do with who is traveling with you.

I travel solo often, including cruises and have never had any of these things happen. I think that some of you are making a lot more out of things than you need. Sometimes you are searched because fo hat you do or don't put on yur customs form, it has nothing to do with who is traveling with you.

I am respectfully disagreeing with you....if someone is taken aside and

searched? That is not making more of things.......people are giving their

own experiences. Be glad it has never happened to you.

I am a widow. Late husband was a retired military officer and therefore I have a military ID. I have been questioned several times as to why I am traveling solo. I have found that having that ID visible has resulted in far fewer or no questions. I just keep my wallet out and position it such that the ID can be seen. I don't say anything about it or hand it to them. On more than one occasion, the customs/immigration officer has commented on it, said thank your husband for his service, and waved me on thru. I think that it helps negate the idea that I might be carrying drugs.

I am alarmed at reading this. I am widowed and love cruises. I booked a cruise last night, and I am all excited, and I am going solo for the first time. There just isn't anyone for me to travel with. I don't want to spend the rest of my life sitting on the couch alone. I am sure you all understand. But, the idea that I might have a problem is scary for me. It is taking all my courage as it is to travel alone. Words of encouragement would be appreciated.

I am alarmed at reading this. I am widowed and love cruises. I booked a cruise last night, and I am all excited, and I am going solo for the first time. There just isn't anyone for me to travel with. I don't want to spend the rest of my life sitting on the couch alone. I am sure you all understand. But, the idea that I might have a problem is scary for me. It is taking all my courage as it is to travel alone. Words of encouragement would be appreciated.

I have been sailing solo for going on 14 years.....I would not stress too

much.....everyone has different experiences. I am not a widow but I also

have nobody to travel with and love sailing on my own:D....I am getting

ready to book another cruise for early this coming year.

Go and have a wonderful time:)